Most famous/well known NBA Franchises worldwide?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Sadrak
Junior
And1: 698

Re: Most famous/well known NBA Franchises worldwide? 

Post#21 » by Sadrak » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:38 am

I live in Finland which is a ice hockey country and I would say if a random person here knows just enough about basketball to know a team or two from nba, then those teams would be Lakers and Bulls.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#22 » by ManualRam » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:42 am

Mr. E wrote:
ManualRam wrote:why would the knicks be popular outside of NY?

No matter what you think of NYC, it is a transcendent city in terms of international recognition. It's right there with Rome, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc. I don't know if they are "popular" outside of NYC, but you cannot deny that they are well-known. The city is one of the most powerful "brands" in pro sports.

well the OP specifically said biggest fanbase aka "popular." i could understand historically or recently successful franchises being popular, or 1 player driving the popularity of the franchise a la yao. the knicks are neither of the former and don't have a transcendent player either.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
So_Ill
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#23 » by So_Ill » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:53 am

It seems like it's obviously the Bulls. Michael Jordan is on a very short list of people that could be considered the most famous living person on Earth. When my sister who lived in Africa told children she was from Chicago in Swahili they asked her about Michael Jordan.

The Bulls logo itself is also easily the most iconic NBA related piece of fashion. Also because of Michael Jordan. Seriously, I live in Texas now and I see more bulls hats than any Texas team.
I'm a bulls fan.
thejigglyroom
Rookie
And1: 1,192

Post#24 » by thejigglyroom » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:58 am

Yeah, I'm not really seeing how the Knicks keep appearing on peoples answers for worldwide fan bases. The team hasn't won anything since the 70's and it's not like they play some insanely entertaining style of basketball. Outside of Carmello, who have they had where people the world over would pay attention? Not trying to hate, just really curious why a bunch of people posted the Knicks of all teams.
Nyk_Fatboy:
Carmelos better than durant, Lance stephensons better than harden, Wade, Wall, Derozan, Parker, Westbrick and i prefer antetokoumpo over Griffin, bosh and dirk but its debatable
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#25 » by irie » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:58 am

You would be surprised. There are people who wear Knicks shirts in countries that can't even actually watch NBA games.
♣|☸
Fantastik_Goat
Senior
And1: 576

Post#26 » by Fantastik_Goat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:05 am

irie wrote:

You would be surprised. There are people who wear Knicks shirts in countries that can't even actually watch NBA games.

Because knick fans gave there gear to charities.
fake_a_hustle
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#27 » by fake_a_hustle » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:08 am

As someone from Asia I would say the Lakers. Even back when Yao was still playing there were no less Lakers compared to rocket fans.

Also a honorable mention of the Knick's. Even though I couldn't remember their exact name(Knicks doesn't really translate into anything meaningful and I was more of a casual fan ) I know NY has a terrible team lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#28 » by ManualRam » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 am

irie wrote:

yeah i would be. i mean i've been around the world, been to places with pockets of nba fans and basketball in general like france and the philippines, and i never noticed a large presence of knick gear. lakers, bulls, rockets, heat... yes. even the spurs in the philippines, i was very surprised by how popular they were over there. but the knicks? i didnt see it, which is understandable because there's no reason for them to be popular. most fans are casual fans, even more so int'lly where it's harder to follow the league and certain teams from game to game. casual fans don't gravitate towards mediocrity and/or losing franchises
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ptm56
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#29 » by ptm56 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:14 am

In Spain it's Lakers, Bulls, Celtics. Period. Behind those at thousands of miles of distance, maybe Grizzlies because of the Gasols and Thunder because of Ibaka. Knicks are way farther behind. Other brands not very well known outside basketball fans but sonewhat recognizable could be Raptors, Hornets, Magic, or even Supersonics.
Senor Chang
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,216

Post#30 » by Senor Chang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:17 am

When i was in the Navy i rarely saw Knicks gear in most urban clothing shops. maybe i glossed over it but for the most part you see a lot of lakers, bulls, and also rockets. not sure about now after yao's retirement however. im sure the heat gear was big the past few years but i was already out by then.
wayoftheroad wrote:We’re getting bodied by Moochie Norris lmao
spacepimp
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#31 » by spacepimp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:17 am

So_Ill wrote:It seems like it's obviously the Bulls. Michael Jordan is on a very short list of people that could be considered the most famous living person on Earth. When my sister who lived in Africa told children she was from Chicago in Swahili they asked her about Michael Jordan.

The Bulls logo itself is also easily the most iconic NBA related piece of fashion. Also because of Michael Jordan. Seriously, I live in Texas now and I see more bulls hats than any Texas team.

I live in Texas and have not seen a bulls cap in 10 years.
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#32 » by irie » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:24 am

ManualRam wrote:
irie wrote:

yeah i would be. i mean i've been around the world, been to places with pockets of nba fans and basketball in general like france and the philippines, and i never noticed a large presence of knick gear. lakers, bulls, rockets, heat... yes. even the spurs in the philippines, i was very surprised by how popular they were over there. but the knicks? i didnt see it, which is understandable because there's no reason for them to be popular. most fans are casual fans, even more so int'lly where it's harder to follow the league and certain teams from game to game. casual fans don't gravitate towards mediocrity and/or losing franchises

Well, I've been to multiple islands here in the Caribbean and several countries in Africa. Knicks gear is around and about. I've seen Lakers and Heat gear for sure. Definitely no Bulls or Rockets stuff. I can't speak for Europe or Asia. Just what I know.

It's New York, which is the most recognizable American city. If someone is a fan of basketball they are aware of the Knicks. Probably even more so than the Celtics or Bulls, but less so than the Lakers or Heat.
♣|☸
Antetokounmpo
Veteran
And1: 1,051

Post#33 » by Antetokounmpo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:33 am

Bulls and Lakers are easily top 2, far ahead of every other team.

Also, honorable mention to Charlotte Hornets, people rocked their gear even when the franchise was long gone. The teal snapbacks, Mashburn jerseys and what not, just beautiful stuff.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#34 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:00 am

1-Lakers
2-Celtics
3-Knicks
Image in 4
5-Bulls
Forum permissions