Is Mark Cuban now vindicated?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

DoubleVision
Junior
And1: 36

Is Mark Cuban now vindicated? 

Post#1 » by DoubleVision » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Mark Cuban breaking up the championship 10-11 Mavs team had to be his most divisive decision as a team owner. For over 3 seasons, Dallas has tried to use their cap space to get a big free agent. They ended up landing Monta Ellis last year. The free cap space allowed them to sign a young Chandler Parsons at a premium, and oddly enough being back J. J. Barea and Tyson Chandler. Dallas now has traded for Rajon Rondo to finish up their big moves. The most important thing here is that Dallas owns the Bird rights on Monta, Rajon, Tyson, Aminu and Parsons. So Dallas can now overpay a much younger team full of players in their 20s instead of 30s.

Rondo/Barea
Ellis/Harris/Ledo
Parsons/Jefferson
Dirk/Aminu/Villanueva/Powell
Chandler/Smith

Is this roster worth the wait, or would Dallas still have been better rolling with their old 2012 team intact and selling their future?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Is Mark Cuban now vindicated? 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Personally, I never "unvindicated" him, so to say he's vindicated to me would have required him to fail at some point. He's an excellent owner, and Nelson and he are fantastic.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Louie_Ruckuz
Bench Warmer
And1: 873

Post#3 » by Louie_Ruckuz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:58 pm

DoubleVision wrote:Mark Cba breaking up the championship 10-11 Mavs team had to be his most divisive decision as a team owner. For over 3 seasons, Dallas has tried to use their cap space to get a big free agent. They ended up landing Monta Ellis last year. The free cap space allowed them to sign a young Chandler Parsons at a premium, and oddly enough being back J. J. Barea and Tyson Chandler. Dallas now has traded for Rajon Rondo to finish up their big moves. The most important thing here is that Dallas owns the Bird rights on Monta, Rajon, Tyson, Aminu and Parsons. So Dallas can now overpay a much younger team full of players in their 20s instead of 30s.

Rondo/Barea
Ellis/Harris
Parsons/Jefferson
Dirk/Aminu
Chandler/Griffin

Is this roster worth the wait, or would Dallas still have been better rolling with their old 2012 team intact and selling their future?

Even if they would've kept the same team they weren't guaranteed to WIN.

They re-upped real nicely.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,699

Post#4 » by -Sammy- » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 pm

Unfortunately for Cuban, teams with Richard Jefferson on the roster are disqualified from title contention.
DoubleVision
Junior

Post#5 » by DoubleVision » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:05 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:Unfortunately for Cuban, teams with Richard Jefferson on the roster are disqualified from title contention.

But he contended for titles on the Nets.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,699

Post#6 » by -Sammy- » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:06 pm

DoubleVision wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:Unfortunately for Cuban, teams with Richard Jefferson on the roster are disqualified from title contention.

But he contended for titles on the Nets.

Were they REALLY contenders? Did anyone really have Jersey winning either of those Finals?
TheCustodian
Junior
And1: 98

Post#7 » by TheCustodian » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:09 pm

Even if it can be argued his decision made sense in the long term, there can't be any vindication for essentially wasting 3 years of your franchise superstar who just won you a championship (and that's even IF Mavs somehow rise back to contender status again this year).
DoubleVision
Junior

Post#8 » by DoubleVision » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:25 pm

TheCustodian wrote:Even if it can be argued his decision made sense in the long term, there can't be any vindication for essentially wasting 3 years of your franchise superstar who just won you a championship (and that's even IF Mavs somehow rise back to contender status again this year).

Do you believe that 2011 team wouldn't have been a waste with the Thunder and Grizzlies emerging? Would they have done better than losing in the first round against that Thunder team that went to the Finals?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,818

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:32 pm

TheCustodian wrote:Even if it can be argued his decision made sense in the long term, there can't be any vindication for essentially wasting 3 years of your franchise superstar who just won you a championship (and that's even IF Mavs somehow rise back to contender status again this year).

Cuban did resign you at least.....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#10 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Don't know man. They wasted so much of Dirk's prime. Dirk had a lot of great playoff series, but I especially remember Dirk going completely ham against Denver in 2009 and they still lost 1-4. What was his supporting cast in 2006? Dampier, Terry, Stackhouse? That's horrible. I think Dirk had like one All-Star at his side since Nash left in 04 (Josh Howard in 200X?). That's it, one All-Star in 10 years, Hakeem-esque. And when they finally built this championship roster in 2011, it was a matter of months till they dismantled it again. Maybe it wasn't sustainable, I don't know. But it was horrible nonetheless.

Is this now Dirk's greatest supporting cast? Really? So finally in his 17th season, at the age of 36 1/2 he finally gets his best supporting cast?
Kind of sad that some young folks don't even know how good Prime Dirk actually was, he would give you 40+ on any given night, playoffs or not, in the lane, mid-range, on the fast break, from downtown, you name it.

All this talk about Cuban being the greatest owner and what not. He had a loyal, unique, revolutionary Top 20 player of all-time. MVP, Finals MVP, 12 x All-NBA player. But his resumé is: one "fluke"* championship. I'm afraid it's too late to fix it, nothing vindicating about it.

*Not how I see it, but how a lot of people see it.
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#11 » by ChosunX » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:00 am

I just want Cuban to be awesome and bring that small businessman/blue collar sensibility to the NBA that he always does.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#12 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:11 am

to be fair he should have 2 rings, 2006 was fixed
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#13 » by jackwindham » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 am

Any business owner can tell you that plans don't always work out the way that you expect them to. Cuban knew that really well. It was a gamble, and he lost. Not a big deal. You don't let it devastate you. You simply pick yourself up and move on to the next plan, which he did. Things turned out pretty well.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:22 am

Yes, Dirk's prime, no Vince.

We'll see how this group mesh.

Rondo to Tyson! That'd be something to watch.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#15 » by doozyj » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:29 am

He's always been a great owner so not sure why he needs to be vindicated???
N8N
Rookie
And1: 236

Post#16 » by N8N » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:19 am

Yes and no.

He gambled and lost. Howard was a loss at least, DWill, not so sure.

Nothing was certain even with a good team then, even with Rondo, Ellis, Parsons and Tyson now. Nothing ever is.
Credit to Dallas Mavericks mod Dirk for my avatar.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#17 » by SaintofKillers » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:32 am

NCHeels2008 wrote:to be fair he should have 2 rings, 2006 was fixed

It's not Wade's fault that Harris and Daniels were jumping on every head and shoulder fake he threw.

Miami rallied behind Wade; the vets smelled blood on the water and went beast mode; Dallas blinked; end of story.
Teko
Sixth Man
And1: 1,429

Post#18 » by Teko » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:40 am

SaintofKillers wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:to be fair he should have 2 rings, 2006 was fixed

It's not Wade's fault that Harris and Daniels were jumping on every head and shoulder fake he threw.

Miami rallied behind Wade; the vets smelled blood on the water and went beast mode; Dallas blinked; end of story.

Nice try, Mavs fan or not, it was a fixed!
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#19 » by jackwindham » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:42 am

Going after Howard was something that needed to be done. You never really know what these free agents are thinking. Better to try and fail than to sit and wonder.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#20 » by 83SixersRocked » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:10 am

No need for vindication. Good owner, and has consistently put out a good product for a long time.

Return to The General Board