Cheaters in the NBA? Who were/are the Patriots in Basketball

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

gstephanopulos
Sixth Man
And1: 823

Re: Cheaters in the NBA? Who were/are the Patriots in Basketball 

Post#21 » by gstephanopulos » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:57 am

Is deflated ball really easier to throw? I understand grip purposes but doesn't it change ball trajectory?
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#22 » by tmorgan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:04 am

Speaking of Boston and the Garden, I remember tales of a poorly maintained parquet floor with dead spots. The home team knew exactly where the spots were, but visitors had issues with it. I don't see that as cheating, though, just a good home field advantage. Kinda like Boston left fielders having a better idea of how to play the Green Monster.
indilakeshow
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#23 » by indilakeshow » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:39 am

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember in the mid 1990s during the playoffs, the Sonics lost power in the stadium during a Laker run. I remember it happening more than once too, though I could be wrong.
GreenWithEnvy wrote:
Lakers have absolutely nothing besides Kobe and Lamar to get Andre Miller...give it up Laker fans.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,422

Post#24 » by Revived » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:43 am

San Antonio Spurs

http://youtu.be/fvkKdXLwt0U

Plus all those cheap shots they have given Nash...
ninjamilk23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,132

Post#25 » by ninjamilk23 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:02 am

TKainZero wrote:Cavs when it comes to the lottery

Serious... Everyone knows the lotto has been rigged for the cavs...

For in game...
Any team Lebrun is on,

What about Lakers vs Kings 2002?
Sometimes I'll start a sentence and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way.
Aventador
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#26 » by Aventador » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:04 am

Atlanta scorekeeprs. Look that **** up.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#27 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:12 am

AC-Gate/Crampgate. Sodagate.
Then you have these stories about food poisoning (Kobe/MJ).
I recall one incident where OKC ballboys tried to ice Dirk during the playoffs. I think one of their ballboys also tweeted death threats to Beverley.

But overall it's pretty lame imo. It's just that distracting the opponent has been kind of institutionalized in the NBA: like trash talking, or intentionally fouling a bad FT shooter, or fans trying to distract an opposing FT shooter. Means: why would you even need trick plays when you have so many "legal" ways to influence the opponent?

Guys like Phil Jackson would also always point out that player x or y got a lot of favorable attention from referees. That was just part of his routine preparation for a playoff series, he knew exactly how to manipulate the media focus and to put pressure on the referees.
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#28 » by ChosunX » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:34 am

Pan Jia Yuan wrote:AC-Gate/Crampgate. Sodagate.
Then you have these stories about food poisoning (Kobe/MJ).
I recall one incident where OKC ballboys tried to ice Dirk during the playoffs. I think one of their ballboys also tweeted death threats to Beverley.

But overall it's pretty lame imo. It's just that distracting the opponent has been kind of institutionalized in the NBA: like trash talking, or intentionally fouling a bad FT shooter, or fans trying to distract an opposing FT shooter. Means: why would you even need trick plays when you have so many "legal" ways to influence the opponent?

Guys like Phil Jackson would also always point out that player x or y got a lot of favorable attention from referees. That was just part of his routine preparation for a playoff series, he knew exactly how to manipulate the media focus and to put pressure on the referees.

Come on, SA is old they would had been shotting themselves in the foot potentially.
smartyz456
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,692

Post#29 » by smartyz456 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:42 am

The big 3 Heat team circa 2010-2014

Three superstars conspired and colluded to team up and make their paths to the championship easier including the MVP. They tainted their own legacies by doing this cheap bull and showed no respect to the game by killing their competitive attitude. I have not seen any team try to cheat like this in NBA history. It was the most despicable and disgraceful team in NBA history

They weren't called the "cHeat" for nothing
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#30 » by Wolfy1983 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:55 am

smartyz456 wrote:The big 3 Heat team circa 2010-2014

Three superstars conspired and colluded to team up and make their paths to the championship easier including the MVP. They tainted their own legacies by doing this cheap bull and showed no respect to the game by killing their competitive attitude. I have not seen any team try to cheat like this in NBA history. It was the most despicable and disgraceful team in NBA history

:crazy:
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#31 » by LloydFree » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:19 am

smartyz456 wrote:The big 3 Heat team circa 2010-2014

One if the sillier posts I've read on realgm. Its called being a free agent and playing where you want to play.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#32 » by Cycklops » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:53 pm

HawaiianJazzFan wrote:The Lakers... because I am biased Jazz fan.

James Worthy pick, Magic Johnson pick,

Those draft picks were "rigged" for the Lakers in the same way that the SAT's are "rigged" for the smart students.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#33 » by DrCoach » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:05 pm

San Antonio with the " broken AC"...lol
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#34 » by King Ken » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Lakers back with Shaq and Kobe
wicked_crossova
General Manager
And1: 3,442

Post#35 » by wicked_crossova » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#36 » by OhMyBosh » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:30 pm

DrCoach wrote:San Antonio with the " broken AC"...lol

Did the Spurs have their own functioning AC unit that game that blew only specifically at their players?
WolvesGuy14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,047

Post#37 » by WolvesGuy14 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Pats under-inflate and Rodgers likes them over-inflated.
noobcake wrote:I would trade Wiggins for Love any day. Wiggins projects as a role player for me.
BigLos2010
Junior
And1: 126

Post#38 » by BigLos2010 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:41 pm

All of these examples are silly, but back in the Alonzo Mourning/Tim Hardaway Heat days, there were rumors that the Heat's basketballs were always a little less inflated than regulation allowed. This made for heavier shots, which meant that teams would eventually have to drive the lane against Zo, PJ Brown, Kurt Thomas, or whoever else was manning the paint against that physical team.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#39 » by improper » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:43 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:No question that lottery is fixed. I remember the double take in 1985. Stern looks into the barrel then looks again and grabs the only envelope with a bent corner, that was the Knicks! Well what do you know? The Knicks get Patrick Ewing.

The Cavs just happen to get Lebron who is from there? Then they get the #1 pick 3 out of 4 years. Something is wrong with this league. Just look at last seasons playoffs.

I just don't really understand why the NBA would rig the lottery for Cleveland. What does it gain them? Cleveland is a small market in a rust belt city.
Illogicality
Bench Warmer
And1: 210

Post#40 » by Illogicality » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:45 pm

WolvesGuy14 wrote:Pats under-inflate and Rodgers likes them over-inflated.

It all makes sense now, his receivers always drop so many passes.

Return to The General Board