Mark Cuban: Eliminate Fan Voting for ASG

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Mark Cuban: Eliminate Fan Voting for ASG 

Post#41 » by hands11 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:41 pm

yunaclf wrote:If Dirk/Ellis/either Chandler got voted in as a starter would Cuban be making these comments?

ASG is just a fun event for fans.

Yeah. And its also NBA Marketing.

The fans don't get to pick their home team. The owners of it. The players. But they root along anyway.

And some fans are NBA fans. They like lots of players.

So here is an opprotunity for the NBA to select them play mini GM once a year and for the NBA to gauge what they like by letting them pick just 5 of the 13 players on each of two 13 player teams.

Not the entire two teams.
Not even over 50% of the player.

And it almost player for player match up with the 2013 ALL NBA TEAM Players in 2013. I would be will to bet they hold true year after year. Just 2 of 26 players that were ALL NBA didn't make it in 2013. That
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#42 » by jackwindham » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:52 pm

GuyverX wrote:He's just salty because Dallas might not have any all-stars this year.

Cuban is not as blindly biased as some people think he is. A lot of the stuff that he says about the NBA is based on what is best for business and the sport. Fan voting for the all star game has been an issue for more than a decade now. Cuban is not the only one that feels this way.
WhatsMyName
Junior
And1: 332

Post#43 » by WhatsMyName » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The way you get paid more coming off your rookie contact is by earning the Rose bonus. You earn the Rose bonus by starting two all star games your first four years in the league or getting named MVP.

...or getting voted twice for All-NBA teams.
ufsports
Pro Prospect
And1: 479

Post#44 » by ufsports » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:01 pm

What if players from teams that didn't have a certain number of wins couldn't be voted for. Then Melo and Kobe wouldn't have gotten in.
Scraptor wrote:
Zubby wrote:Dalmbert & Chandler are about equal except Dalembert can stay healthy.

Some statements are so ridiculous they should result in a timeout, so the poster can sit in a corner and think about what he wrote.
retrospect24
Starter
And1: 37

Post#45 » by retrospect24 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:03 pm

Why not have coaches select the entire rosters, then have the fans vote for who gets to start out of that pool?
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#46 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:05 pm

I_Socrates wrote:You're basically agreeing with everything I said... so what's your point?

I highlighted this specific sentence "He's just mad he might not have an All-Star this year" and I disagreed with it b/c Mavs haven't had starters in the ASG for years, and I'd take Cuban always seriously when he makes these points (as in: he's not just concerned with his Mavs). But it doesn't really matter tho.
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
Ballah
Bench Warmer
And1: 573

Post#47 » by Ballah » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Mark Cuban and anyone wishing to limit fan imput for the all star game completely misses the point of the all star game. Here is my proposal: get rid of the coaches choices and make all picks fan made. It's not for you Mark, stfu.
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,059

Post#48 » by EmperorLocky » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:07 pm

I would much prefer the coach to pick his team but doubt that will ever happen. If they really want the fans choice of who they want to see there isn't much change that needs to happen, all it needs to be is:

Pick your starting 5 you want to see

Pick your starting 5 you don't want to see

Once the differences are all sorted you have your starting 5.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#49 » by NashtyNas » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Pan Jia Yuan wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:You're basically agreeing with everything I said... so what's your point?

I highlighted this specific sentence "He's just mad he might not have an All-Star this year" and I disagreed with it b/c Mavs haven't had starters in the ASG for years, and I'd take Cuban always seriously when he makes these points (as in: he's not just concerned with his Mavs). But it doesn't really matter tho.

I didn't mention anything about starter - I said he may not have an All-Star.
I did however agree with his point, but like you said, it doesn't matter at all. The All-Star game (and the weekend in general) sucks and has for over a decade. No one cares about it any more.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Amish Mafioso
Banned User
And1: 1,004

Post#50 » by Amish Mafioso » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Some really stupid responses in this thread. The players who bust their ass and earn their spot deserve the recognition. **** the nimrods who just want their guy to get in even when he doesn't deserve it. **** them right in the ear.

Let the fans vote on things like the slam dunk contest, but let the all-star game be what it's supposed to be, the best of the best.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:18 pm

I_Socrates wrote:I didn't mention anything about starter - I said he may not have an All-Star.

Well, the coaches made Dirk an All-Star for several years. Why would Cuban all of a sudden be concerned by the fans?
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#52 » by ChosunX » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Ballah wrote:Mark Cuban and anyone wishing to limit fan imput for the all star game completely misses the point of the all star game. Here is my proposal: get rid of the coaches choices and make all picks fan made. It's not for you Mark, stfu.

He loves bball, bball is played in the All Star game.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#53 » by Novocaine » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:23 pm

I suspect many here didn't bother to read Cuban's statements.

Claiming "it's for the fans, shut up" is a very weak rebuttal - his core argument is exactly that fans don't care. Considering the number of votes vis a vis how easy is to vote, I think he might be on something; as he said "nobody even bothered to hack/tamper with it".

If fans actually cared about who's starting in the ASG, it wouldn't be a good idea to change the selection process. But, if they don't care, why not sacrifice that and add some value in other way?
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#54 » by NashtyNas » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Pan Jia Yuan wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:I didn't mention anything about starter - I said he may not have an All-Star.

Well, the coaches made Dirk an All-Star for several years. Why would Cuban all of a sudden be concerned by the fans?

Because there's more deserving All-Stars this year than Dirk?
LMA, Cousins, Howard, Duncan are all more deserving. Durant if you don't worry about # of games is also more deserving.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer

Post#55 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:35 pm

I_Socrates wrote:
Pan Jia Yuan wrote:

Because there's more deserving All-Stars this year than Dirk?
LMA, Cousins, Howard, Duncan are all more deserving. Durant if you don't worry about # of games is also more deserving.

And that has exactly what to do with the fans?
See, all I want to read is: "You're right, Cuban isn't concerned about fans b/c of Dirk, I messed up."

It's actually kind of embarassing that you know crap about Cuban considering his status in the NBA over the past 15 years. He would never ever be this sublime, he is a man of direct words. Like "Dirk deserves to be an All-Star" or in the past "Shawn Marion is the most underrated defender in the league", that's Cuban for you.

You implied selfish motives, now man up.
Charlie Sollers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,829

Post#56 » by Charlie Sollers » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:41 pm

Is it really that serious? It's still an exhibition game that is played at half speed except for the last 5 min. Some people were talking about using the number of all-star appearances for comparing players.. Who does that exactly. When it comes to legacies, people bring up rings, MVPs. and FMVP.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#57 » by deanwoof » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:48 pm

Vote three per conference - big, wing, (point) guard
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#58 » by PZiv » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:16 am

It needs to be rid off. And there is no revenue loss in lossing it.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#59 » by MrBigShot » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:26 am

Fans should get to the vote for the 2 wildcards on each roster imo. Leave the rest to the players/coaches to vote for. The ASG is a game for the fans, but it's also a nice achievement career wise to be named as an all star and the most deserving people should be chosen.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Biased_Fan6425
Starter
And1: 1,381

Post#60 » by Biased_Fan6425 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:32 am

Cycklops wrote:The All-Star game is played solely for the fan's enjoyment. The fans get to choose who they want to see.

:nod:
Lets go Lakers!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Return to The General Board