Dwight Howard trolls Lakers with Geico reference

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

JohnsHopkins
Junior
And1: 619

Re: Dwight Howard trolls Lakers with Geico reference 

Post#21 » by JohnsHopkins » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:55 pm

Cycklops wrote:
Magic24 wrote:
cw3k wrote:
First round exit >>>>>>>>>>>>> Top 5 in the lottery

How? In both cases you win nothing. Lakers (if they keep their pick) are winning. I'd rather my team get a good young piece than get out in the first. If Dwight doesn't get out of the first round in his stint with the Rockets then it is a wash. If the Lakers end up getting a franchise player in Julius or the pick this year, it is clearly their win. Dwight would have been an all-star with the Lakers this year, I can tell you that much.

This is what Kobe would call a "Bikram Yoga Stretch."

The question was whether Dwight should've stayed in LA or left. He chose to leave. He's now on a 54-win team that is on pace to win more this year...which is compared to where he'd be if he had stayed with the Lakers roster.

So he gets to play 4-7 games more a year, to end up right where the Lakers are?
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#22 » by Cycklops » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:08 pm

JohnsHopkins wrote:
Cycklops wrote:
Magic24 wrote:How? In both cases you win nothing. Lakers (if they keep their pick) are winning. I'd rather my team get a good young piece than get out in the first. If Dwight doesn't get out of the first round in his stint with the Rockets then it is a wash. If the Lakers end up getting a franchise player in Julius or the pick this year, it is clearly their win. Dwight would have been an all-star with the Lakers this year, I can tell you that much.

The question was whether Dwight should've stayed in LA or left. He chose to leave. He's now on a 54-win team that is on pace to win more this year...which is compared to where he'd be if he had stayed with the Lakers roster.

Part of your stretch is making the assumption that the Rockets will lose in the first round when they're improving, another part is your assumption that the Lakers will keep their first round pick which isn't a given by any means. Third, if Dwight had stayed with the Lakers, there's a good chance he'd be carrying this group with no hope of getting anywhere.
JohnsHopkins
Junior
And1: 619

Post#23 » by JohnsHopkins » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Cycklops wrote:
JohnsHopkins wrote:
Cycklops wrote:This is what Kobe would call a "Bikram Yoga Stretch."

Part of your stretch is making the assumption that the Rockets will lose in the first round when they're improving, another part is your assumption that the Lakers will keep their first round pick which isn't a given by any means. Third, if Dwight had stayed with the Lakers, there's a good chance he'd be carrying this group with no hope of getting anywhere.

Thats really nice that rockets are improving, but so are the other western conference teams. But I guess youre right, dwight got his money, he got be the 2nd option on a team, he tricked the Rockets into thinking he was back to being a franchise player but can not play more than 8 games in a row without complaining about his knee, the rockets cashed in most of their assests, they signed his good buddy josh smith who sucks ass, and WHEN the rockets do get bounced in the first round I ASSUME he will get all of the blame and then i ASSUME he will cry and them ASSUME he will ask for trade because that is what he does. Wants the glory without putting the work in.

But then again, I dont know the guy, im just ASSUMING this off his career trends.
Kidds BAC
Sophomore
And1: 121

Post#24 » by Kidds BAC » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Yes laker fans, being a part of a 50 win team is much more enjoyable than getting embarrassed on a nightly basis on the way to 18 wins. What happens in the playoffs does not offset the previous 6 months of the regular season.
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#25 » by Don Ford » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Kidds BAC wrote:Yes laker fans, being a part of a 50 win team is much more enjoyable than getting embarrassed on a nightly basis on the way to 18 wins. What happens in the playoffs does not offset the previous 6 months of the regular season.

Being a 50 win team is obviously better than being an 18 win team but I'd prefer that the Lakers take their time in the rebuild so that they get players that can make them a true contender rather than a erennial 4-5 playoff spot team. I know that Morey is trying to rebuild towards that contender status and with both Harden and Dwight it seems like they would be. But it seems to me that the Rockets are getting locked into that 2nd tier status with limited ability get better. I could be wrong because I don't pay that much atention to the Rockets cap situation. But I do know that I'd rather see the Lakers suck for a few years and rebuild into a championship contender than sign the wrng FAs and be a perennial 2nd tier team.
Magic24
Pro Prospect
And1: 109

Post#26 » by Magic24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Cycklops wrote:
Magic24 wrote:
cw3k wrote:
First round exit >>>>>>>>>>>>> Top 5 in the lottery

How? In both cases you win nothing. Lakers (if they keep their pick) are winning. I'd rather my team get a good young piece than get out in the first. If Dwight doesn't get out of the first round in his stint with the Rockets then it is a wash. If the Lakers end up getting a franchise player in Julius or the pick this year, it is clearly their win. Dwight would have been an all-star with the Lakers this year, I can tell you that much.

No, the question was if Dwight won the break up, not if Dwight made the right decision.
Also, we don't know what the Lakers roster would be with Dwight. All I know is that with Dwight Lakers was a first round exit, and last year Houston was a first round exit. Maybe with Dwight Lakers would have offered Kobe less, maybe Pau would stay, who knows.

Dwight left the Lakers for a better chance at winning, and so far he hasn't gotten much. Lakers lost out on Dwight, but might end up better in the long run if they can tank/draft properly and actually bring in a franchise player in FA while they have studs on rookie contract. That is the correct way to build/hope.

By the time Dwight contract is up and he only manages to only get into the playoffs and not win a round or 2, that is not winning. Especially if the Rockets decide not to give him a max deal in the future. If the Lakers can become a playoff team by the time Dwight's contract is up, and he hasn't won anything, it is a win for them if they find a stud in the draft.
Magic24
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by Magic24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:03 pm

Kidds BAC wrote:Yes laker fans, being a part of a 50 win team is much more enjoyable than getting embarrassed on a nightly basis on the way to 18 wins. What happens in the playoffs does not offset the previous 6 months of the regular season.

Better known as being a treadmill team. Enjoy. If I have no real shot at winning, I'm perfectly fine with going with the rebuild.
Kidds BAC
Sophomore
And1: 121

Post#28 » by Kidds BAC » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Don Ford wrote:

Being a 50 win team is obviously better than being an 18 win team but I'd prefer that the Lakers take their time in the rebuild so that they get players that can make them a true contender rather than a erennial 4-5 playoff spot team. I know that Morey is trying to rebuild towards that contender status and with both Harden and Dwight it seems like they would be. But it seems to me that the Rockets are getting locked into that 2nd tier status with limited ability get better. I could be wrong because I don't pay that much atention to the Rockets cap situation. But I do know that I'd rather see the Lakers suck for a few years and rebuild into a championship contender than sign the wrng FAs and be a perennial 2nd tier team.

Well i don't see why Houston can't be considered a contender but even if they are a 2nd tier team, I look at it from Dwight's point of view and it's obvious that he made the right choice to join the Rockets instead of struggling with the Lakers. It makes more sense for fans to want their team to tank a season to pick up a great prospect than it is for a player to waste time in a hopeless situation when he is in his prime and only has a handful years at best of being a max level player.
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#29 » by cw3k » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Getting lottery = contender, is a seriously flawed theory. As great as LBJ is, he himself didn't win until he was paired up with Wade and Bosh.

So all those think Lakers is better position with 12 wins instead of 22 now are in denial. People cannot suddenly become winners. They have to put into a good habit and turn those habits into unconscious routines to win. Losing will only build losing habits.

I don't buy the hype on Randle. He played 1 game in the NBA and out for the season.
Cycklops
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by Cycklops » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Magic24 wrote:No, the question was if Dwight won the break up, not if Dwight made the right decision.

The Lakers are being considered as what they'd be if Dwight Howard stayed. They'd be better, he'd be worse off. Given his choice, he's much better off, and they're much worse off (especially if they lose their draft pick).

Also, we don't know what the Lakers roster would be with Dwight. All I know is that with Dwight Lakers was a first round exit, and last year Houston was a first round exit. Maybe with Dwight Lakers would have offered Kobe less, maybe Pau would stay, who knows.

Dwight's condition for staying was to remove Kobe. The Lakers said no. He said goodbye. So he's got what he got for choosing to take his talents somewhere else, the Lakers got what they got for deciding to stick with 34-year-old Kobe, including the image and free agents they were able to attract.

Dwight left the Lakers for a better chance at winning, and so far he hasn't gotten much. Lakers lost out on Dwight, but might end up better in the long run if they can tank/draft properly and actually bring in a franchise player in FA while they have studs on rookie contract. That is the correct way to build/hope.

Dwight left the Lakers for a better chance at winning, and you're trying to argue now that Dwight does NOT have a better chance of winning in Houston?

You've moved from Bikram Yoga to Dhalsim. Congrats.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,134

Post#31 » by Froob » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Don Ford wrote:Hard to argue with him, Dwight is expert on untapped potential

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#32 » by RaptorNews » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Dwight is really unlikable but you guys are trying too hard

He's a future HOF, 3x DPOY and got to the finals. If that's untapped potential Id be amazed to see what he could have been
Magic24
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by Magic24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Cycklops wrote:
Magic24 wrote:No, the question was if Dwight won the break up, not if Dwight made the right decision.

The Lakers are being considered as what they'd be if Dwight Howard stayed. They'd be better, he'd be worse off. Given his choice, he's much better off, and they're much worse off (especially if they lose their draft pick).

Dwight's condition for staying was to remove Kobe. The Lakers said no. He said goodbye. So he's got what he got for choosing to take his talents somewhere else, the Lakers got what they got for deciding to stick with 34-year-old Kobe, including the image and free agents they were able to attract.

Dwight left the Lakers for a better chance at winning, and you're trying to argue now that Dwight does NOT have a better chance of winning in Houston?

Read the original quote again. The topic at hand is who won the break up. Who is better off since his decision. Please read.

As to the bold, yes. Lakers were a first round team with Dwight with injuries everywhere. Houston was a first round team as well. first round team = first round team. If he is in the same position then he does NOT have a better chance in winning.
Cycklops
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by Cycklops » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Magic24 wrote:
Cycklops wrote:

Read the original quote again. The topic at hand is who won the break up. Who is better off since his decision. Please read.

As to the bold, yes. Lakers were a first round team with Dwight with injuries everywhere. Houston was a first round team as well. first round team = first round team. If he is in the same position then he does NOT have a better chance in winning.

I wrote the original quote, you know that, right?

The Lakers were telling Dwight that he should stay because they could better position him to win chips. If he went somewhere else and the Lakers took off and his team floundered, the Lakers would've won.

As it is, the Rockets won 54 and now are on pace for 56...while the Laker's future, in roster strength, potentially having a draft pick, as well as signing free agents, is all very questionable. They could strike out in every category, since they might lose the pick and couldn't sign anyone before when they had a superstar on the team.
TDotsfinest97
Banned User
And1: 5,953

Post#35 » by TDotsfinest97 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Magic24 wrote:

Better known as being a treadmill team. Enjoy. If I have no real shot at winning, I'm perfectly fine with going with the rebuild.

There is no such thing as a treadmill team in the West, the first round will be a bunch of potential WCF matchups if OKC makes the playoffs
Magic24
Pro Prospect

Post#36 » by Magic24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 pm

cw3k wrote:Getting lottery = contender, is a seriously flawed theory. As great as LBJ is, he himself didn't win until he was paired up with Wade and Bosh.

So all those think Lakers is better position with 12 wins instead of 22 now are in denial. People cannot suddenly become winners. They have to put into a good habit and turn those habits into unconscious routines to win. Losing will only build losing habits.

I don't buy the hype on Randle. He played 1 game in the NBA and out for the season.

No one is hyping Julius, that is why the lakers have to hope that he becomes a franchise player, or the pick this year.

Also look at the player you just brought up. That is what the Lakers are trying to do. Difficult, yes. They are trying to get a stud (Irving) and hope they can bring in a star or two (Lebron/Love) to get to that status when Kobe's contract is up.

There is nothing easy about that. Hopefully Julius and whoever the Lakers pick this year can show something to the FA in 2016. Where 2 star players might see the opportunity in playing with the Lakers and 2 young players on rookie contracts.

So yes, I would prefer to get low lottery rather than keeping Dwight and getting knocked out in the first round while he is on decline.

With that being said, the Rockets have a good GM, and I won't doubt that he can change that outlook. I'm just arguing as it stands now. Dwight hasn't won the break up.
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#37 » by Don Ford » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:59 pm

Kidds BAC wrote:
Don Ford wrote:

Well i don't see why Houston can't be considered a contender but even if they are a 2nd tier team, I look at it from Dwight's point of view and it's obvious that he made the right choice to join the Rockets instead of struggling with the Lakers. It makes more sense for fans to want their team to tank a season to pick up a great prospect than it is for a player to waste time in a hopeless situation when he is in his prime and only has a handful years at best of being a max level player.

Completely agree that Dwight made the right decision for himself. Like you said, by the time the Lakers rebuilt Dwight would have little to no time left as a max level impact player. That also means that it was probably the best thing for the Lakers as well. With Kobe's injury they weren't going to be a contender even with Dwight so its' better to just do the full rebuild.
Magic24
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by Magic24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:03 pm

TDotsfinest97 wrote:
Magic24 wrote:

There is no such thing as a treadmill team in the West, the first round will be a bunch of potential WCF matchups if OKC makes the playoffs

So you know what a treadmill team is? It's a team who continuously make the playoffs with no chance of winning, and nothing to really make you better. Just because OKC comes in at 8 doesn't make them a treadmill team. Clippers right now are a treadmill team. No one expects them to win, they are who they are with virtually no chance of really improving. Rockets are on the verge of being that as well. Only reason I won't go that far is because I like their cap situation ( I believe Morey has flexibility).
TDotsfinest97
Banned User
And1: 5,953

Post#39 » by TDotsfinest97 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:21 pm

Magic24 wrote:
TDotsfinest97 wrote:
Magic24 wrote:Better known as being a treadmill team. Enjoy. If I have no real shot at winning, I'm perfectly fine with going with the rebuild.

So you know what a treadmill team is? It's a team who continuously make the playoffs with no chance of winning, and nothing to really make you better. Just because OKC comes in at 8 doesn't make them a treadmill team. Clippers right now are a treadmill team. No one expects them to win, they are who they are with virtually no chance of really improving. Rockets are on the verge of being that as well. Only reason I won't go that far is because I like their cap situation ( I believe Morey has flexibility).

Every team has a chance in the West, it's not like in the East where everyone knows Cleveland will win it all. You're underrating teams like the Clippers and the Rockets, they may not have the hottest starts like Golden State but they are still contenders in my opinion.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#40 » by Shem » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:59 am

Dwight Howard might be an ass and a child beater, but that was pretty funny!
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas

Return to The General Board