Reggie Jackson, locker room cancer

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Re: Reggie Jackson, locker room cancer 

Post#181 » by DETermination » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:32 am

KD35Brah wrote:Everyone won the trade.

Not sure that can be said for many trades.

Peace to all.

Exactly and the trade made sense for all teams. The Thunder didn't need a young point guard trying to make a name for himself when they already have Russ.They needed a veteran point guard who can just come in and do his thing. The pistons needed a possible point guard of the future with the Jennings injury. Jazz needed to get something for Kanter who obviously didn't want to be there. This was a good trade for everyone.
Detroit vs Everybody
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#182 » by wickedwrister » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:34 am

Catalysm wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Moose10Fan wrote:
Josh Smith stinks :crazy:

Why are you acting as if that's a stupid thing to say? I blatantly remember you posting the following:

E-Balla wrote:
wickedwrister wrote:Its "embarrassing" for a team to tank so brazenly to release one of its best 3 players in the middle of the season. Shame on SVG

This makes them way better. Smith was trash. Quit being bitter because your team is tanking hard and still can't out tank NY.

Link:: viewtopic.php?p=42077025#p42077025

Inconsistency in your signature I'd say.

So my post was a reference to negative comments svg made about the Sixers plan. Not actually accusing them of tanking. Know what you are talking about before you take shots at people.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,186

Post#183 » by tsherkin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:36 am

MotownMadness wrote:What's the difference of how I posted it.

Because the P/R/A line is without substance or context, that's all. It doesn't tell one anything in particular.

Nobody would give a damn about his second half performance and just downgrade it over his first half anyways.

That's not quite true. Some people might react that way, I suppose, but in a more direct comparison, it's not a ton different than Dirk blowing in the first half and going HAM in the second half of key playoff games during the 2011 title run, you know what I mean? That's why I bothered to raise the point of his second-half play in the first place: it takes the sting out of the crappy box score line by showing that he was a part of their second-half turnaround, which is far more relevant than his final P/R/A line.

Jackson isn't a terrible player: he's typically a fairly poor scorer, but he's a guy who can contribute, at least within scope. This game is basically a nutshell description of what he's done so far in his career these past few years. He shows you a little here and there, the ultimate result isn't amazing, but it isn't the worst thing ever, either.
Bakuto
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,301

Post#184 » by Bakuto » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:38 am

wickedwrister wrote:
Catalysm wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Image

Why are you acting as if that's a stupid thing to say? I blatantly remember you posting the following:

E-Balla wrote:This makes them way better. Smith was trash. Quit being bitter because your team is tanking hard and still can't out tank NY.

Link:: viewtopic.php?p=42077025#p42077025

Inconsistency in your signature I'd say.

So my post was a reference to negative comments svg made about the Sixers plan. Not actually accusing them of tanking. Know what you are talking about before you take shots at people.

Speak for yourself.

I was talking to E-Balla about how he claims saying Smith stinks makes no sense and puts the referenced quote in his sig, when just weeks ago he agreed that he was awful on our team.

Not once did I mention tanking, nor were you even part of this discussion.

Your interpretation of my post was pathetic.
Kobe System wrote:I won't touch Drummond's contract. I'd rather have Deng and Mozgov's contract tbh.

Collymore wrote:Jay Tatum is a better prospect than Lebron James was at his age.

:noway:
kd 35
Senior
And1: 605

Post#185 » by kd 35 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:39 am

I caught the 2nd half and he looked good. Reggie is at his best when he's attacking the basket and he was almost exclusively driving from what I got to see. SVG will be able to get the most out of him and he's got a lot of talent to work with. I think we'll see Detroit in the playoffs this year and Reggie will definitely play a part in that.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#186 » by detroitKG » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:43 am

kd 35 wrote:I caught the 2nd half and he looked good. Reggie is at his best when he's attacking the basket and he was almost exclusively driving from what I got to see. SVG will be able to get the most out of him and he's got a lot of talent to work with. I think we'll see Detroit in the playoffs this year and Reggie will definitely play a part in that.

To piggy back off your post, I think that's the most underrated part of all of this. Stan Van Gundy. He's revitalized two PG's careers with us already in Jennings and DJ. The guy gets the most out of his PG's and always has. Which is why most of us are very excited and happy about landing Reggie.
LugerLex
Sophomore
And1: 129

Post#187 » by LugerLex » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:55 am

detroitKG wrote:
kd 35 wrote:I caught the 2nd half and he looked good. Reggie is at his best when he's attacking the basket and he was almost exclusively driving from what I got to see. SVG will be able to get the most out of him and he's got a lot of talent to work with. I think we'll see Detroit in the playoffs this year and Reggie will definitely play a part in that.

To piggy back off your post, I think that's the most underrated part of all of this. Stan Van Gundy. He's revitalized two PG's careers with us already in Jennings and DJ. The guy gets the most out of his PG's and always has. Which is why most of us are very excited and happy about landing Reggie.

With Monroe and drummond beasting the cool thing about Detroit right now is that their starting lineup is a core that could stick together and become something like the Pistons of the mid 2000's. Things are looking good, everyone is under 25.

PG: Jackson
SG: KCP
SF: Miller
PF: Monroe
C: Drummond
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#188 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:20 am

detroitKG wrote:

To make this a 3 some. don't forget Jameer Nelson, he was a good pg but never a allstar til SVG. SVG style is putting players a position to use there strengths. I don't know if we'll see a improvement of RJ's totals, i do expect a improvement in his efficiency.

Also RJ was sick in the first quarter, i think it was from his jiterz or pre workout. but you could tell he was definitely pressing
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by tsherkin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:54 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:To make this a 3 some. don't forget Jameer Nelson, he was a good pg but never a allstar til SVG.

Eh....

That was always a bad add. The Magic were 11th on O that season, 1st on D. It was very clear how they were winning games. Meer was third on the team in FGA/g, 4th in PPG. They were 32-10 with him (.762) and 27-13 without him (.675). He was a useful piece, but we're talking about a 17/5 guy who was hot from 3 before the break (45.3%) to a level he's never really replicated over a whole season before. Granted, he was actually a very good 3pt shooter at that point in his career and wasn't bombing up stupid volumes of 3s like in 13 and 14, but still.

He was a 1-off All-Star. Van Gundy was gone after the lockout season, and of course Howard as well. Injured though he was, 2013 Nelson was still a 15/7 guy and his individual efficacy in 09 was way higher than ANY other season he's ever had, a true outlier from his career production. He had a 121 ORTG, which is 8 points higher than any other season, 12 than either of his next-best seasons, and it just gets worse from there.

Kind of tough to attribute that to Stan when he didn't maintain anything like that production even in the following two seasons with SVG and Howard still both present and all good to go.

I respect SVG as a coach, he's certainly one of the best in the league and if anyone will give a guy like Reggie a chance to be a combo guard with a defined role but enough freedom to be happy, it's him or MDA (who, whatever his many, many other flaws, relies on his PGs a lot), it's SVG, but Nelson isn't the ideal example here.

SVG does do a good job of establishing a system, though, and that sort of structure is extremely valuable for guys who aren't true, perennial star talents. Jackson is going to have an opportunity, that's clear. Whether he can do anything with that opportunity is another story, because he does have some skill deficiencies on which he has to improve. It's definitely a better situation for him in Detroit than it was in OKC.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#190 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:02 am

Well he was the type of guy that would always have career level games vs the Spurs. Perhaps that got into his head a bit too much, but his actual ability when he is on is a Bobby Jackson with the Kings type of role and not a starting level gig.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#191 » by inquisitive » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:06 am

now i know why he turned down that 48mil/4yr deal. he just didnt want to be in okc anymore.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#192 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:10 am

greenandgold wrote:7/18 shooting (39% FG) and 1/4 from 3P (25%), 5 assists and 2 free throw attempts in 30 minutes.

All completely in line with what to expect from Jackson: inefficient shooting, especially from three, not many free throw attempts, and below-average assists for a PG.

Watch the game buddy.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#193 » by tsherkin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:23 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
greenandgold wrote:7/18 shooting (39% FG) and 1/4 from 3P (25%), 5 assists and 2 free throw attempts in 30 minutes.

All completely in line with what to expect from Jackson: inefficient shooting, especially from three, not many free throw attempts, and below-average assists for a PG.

Watch the game buddy.

Well, it wasn't a sterling performance and it wasn't a terrible one. It was in line with what he's brought for several years now.

That said, with respecct to "below-average assists for a PG," that's still a 6 AST36 line, which actually isn't bad at all. The turnovers were troublesome, and 2 FTA against 18 FGA isn't awesome... but he also got the undersell a bit from the refs. He did take a third of his shots in the painted area, most pretty close to the basket, at that. He got .333 FTr on his shots in the paint, and took a pile of jumpers, including way more 3s than he had any business taking with his well-documented boobery from beyond the arc.

Having said that, when was he driving? He was doing it in the second half, mostly in the 3rd quarter, when Detroit made their big run. He missed an 11-footer, missed a 19-footer, missed a layup, missed a 7-footer, missed a 21-footer, missed a 3, missed a 7-footer, missed a 9-footer, earned and made his 2 FTs and then hit a 3 in the first half.

Notice that distribution?

In as much as you can rip on him for shooting too many threes, of his first 9 shots (on which he went 1-9), he took 5 of them from 11 feet or closer, 4 of them from inside of 10 feet. That's not really a bad deal. He was getting himself under the arc and even under the foul line extended with a fair degree of regularity. Even he, who isn't stunningly efficient, won't keep blanking on that many shots when he's routinely getting that close, and he'll tend to get more than 2 FTAs.

Keep in mind, he took nearly a half-dozen shots in the 3rd, almost exclusively in the paint, and got nothing. That won't happen every night either, even to him.

I'm not a huge fan of Reggie's, and yes this game is somewhat indicative of his average box score performance, but it's also not WHOLLY so.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#194 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:39 am

Mr Peanut wrote:

Watch the game buddy.

exactly , not to mention context
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#195 » by greenandgold » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Took your advice and watched the game. Same conclusions, inefficient scoring, doesn't make too many plays for others, struggles to get to the line.

Credit for 4 high degree of difficulty runners against Gortat. This is the best part of his game: contorts his body and uses his incredibly long arms to make difficult shots. The makes look so good you forget about the misses. But fundamentally the problem is that Jackson isn't that quick and no one respects his jumper. When he gets into the lane he usually hasn't separated himself from defenders, so the attempts will be relatively difficult.

Also, a couple of ugly turnovers where Jackson dribbles into trouble, then tries to force a pass to Monroe.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#196 » by Liqourish » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:04 pm

inquisitive wrote:now i know why he turned down that 48mil/4yr deal. he just didnt want to be in okc anymore.

He stated as much. Wasn't about the money, he wanted to be where he was wanted and was respected and that wasn't OKC in that lockerroom with the "leaders" making players choose sides.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#197 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Obviously any PG is going to get a few extra TO's playing with a brand new group of players, so that's not my concern. I think where we can really judge Reggie's Performance will be the last 20 or so games of the season this year. He gets about 7 games to figure it out and than look at the last 20 to see how good he is with this group, when every game counts towards making the playoffs.
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#198 » by greenandgold » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:40 pm

All that said, if Jackson can shoot a decent percentage from three (let's say 35%) and from the mid-range, then he becomes a much more dangerous offensive player. His efficiency will go up and the drives to the hoop will be more unimpeded.

The form on his jumper looks fine. It just hasn't been going into the hoop enough (only shooting 37% on jumpers from any distance this year). He's young enough to improve.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#199 » by Liqourish » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:05 pm

greenandgold wrote:All that said, if Jackson can shoot a decent percentage from three (let's say 35%) and from the mid-range, then he becomes a much more dangerous offensive player. His efficiency will go up and the drives to the hoop will be more unimpeded.

The form on his jumper looks fine. It just hasn't been going into the hoop enough (only shooting 37% on jumpers from any distance this year). He's young enough to improve.

I'm more interested in his playmaking than his shooting, for right now. His shot will come later, if he works on it. He has good form, but from the games I've seen, it's more not always having his legs under him. His vision impresses me the most, but he seems to make last minute decisions with the ball, which can hurt him right now getting acclimated to a new team. His teammates don't know when to be ready for the pass just yet.
TONY_YAYO
Pro Prospect
And1: 324

Post#200 » by TONY_YAYO » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:14 pm

Reggie Jackson said he is a scapegoat:

“I wasn’t always perfect, nor was the situation, but I became the brunt of the blame there,” Jackson said. “Everything bad that happened, I was the scapegoat. I’m taking all this blame, and I’m wondering: ‘How am I supposed to change it all here, make an impact, in eight minutes a game?’ Everybody is jumping down my neck, and it gets annoying when I’m supposed to have this great impact playing so little this season. […] All of a sudden, I’m the bad locker room guy. I’m the problem…”

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/reggie-ja ... apegoated/
“I didn’t come for the massage, Funk; I came for the facial.”-Stacey King

Return to The General Board