Phil Jackson Blasts His Knicks After Embarrassing Loss to Cavs

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Re: Phil Jackson Blasts His Knicks After Embarrassing Loss to Cavs 

Post#41 » by SmoothLefty21 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:19 pm

I think Phil had just hit the peace pipe before tweeting that. I've defended Phil since he arrived in NY but this was an awful and idiotic move.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,405
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#42 » by E-Balla » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Doddage wrote:
improper wrote:
Doddage wrote:I think PJ is mad that he had to witness another one of his trades (dumping Shump and JR) falling flat.

I mean, was that trade really that bad for the Knicks? Smith clearly wasn't working out there and the Knicks were wise to ship him to a team where he fit in better. Losing young guys like Shumpert always hurts, but Shump is ultimately a role-player, and I doubt he was going to swing the fortunes of the Knicks much either way. He was merely the price that needed to be paid to clear Smith's salary from the books. Shumpert was always going to look better in Cleveland, too. Getting constant open looks does that for solid role-players.

It was bad in the sense that he traded both guys when their value was at its lowest. Same thing ended up happening with Tyson.

You know this is his first year right? He couldn't have traded them earlier if he wanted to.

And Shump's stock was almost at an all time high. He started this season better than any season outside of his first year.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#43 » by HotelVitale » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:24 pm

kodo wrote:This trade deadline was terrible for New York by omission.
We saw a lot of expiring young players move this trade deadline, and I believe it was in reaction to NY & LA both creating cap space. Teams realized NY & LA are going to be throwing around big money so if they wanted a player they traded for their bird rights to offer the 5th year.

That might be true but it doesn't seem like Phil's fault. They would've been foolish to try to match the Heat's offer--two firsts for the right to overpay Dragic (whom I like, but not at that price). And OKC obviously preferred DET's package for Reggie Jackson over what NYK could offer. The team basically has nothing of value aside from Melo and its picks, and it needs to hang on to both. Even their 'assets' this year--Calderon, JR Smith, Shumpert--were either of dubious value or came with hefty price tags that made them net negatives. They weren't really in a position to make a move.

BTW, I say this as someone who's now feeling vindicated after arguing against the idea that Phil Jackson was a 'basketball genius' who could do things beyond our wildest imaginations. He's just a guy who tries to make moves that make sense, like most other NBA GMs. And it doesn't seem like there was a good move to make this deadline.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#44 » by tidho » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Phil put together that roster, then goes to twitter to complain about their effort.
The Knicks are starting a guy that wasn't even getting garbage time in Cleveland.

For the record I think the Knicks were actually working out there. At least most of them. Travis Wear in particular.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,163

Post#45 » by Revived » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Phil Jackson imo is almost a worse GM than Jordan was when he was owner/GM of the Bobcats.
DwayneSchintzus
Rookie
And1: 1,482

Post#46 » by DwayneSchintzus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:37 pm

Too bad Langston Galloway and Lance Thomas didn't take their opportunity to "impress the basketball gods" more seriously. Are you fing kidding? Phil Jackson did more to piss on the basketball gods with his awful coach and roster than anyone!

I want the knicks to be good because i love their atmosphere and tradition but this is not the guy to do it, Knicks fans.

btw, Spurs fan here...
These are the opinions of one lifelong Spurs fan, nothing more
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#47 » by Bill Bradley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:47 pm

Phil's biggest mistake was signing Carmelo to that contract that includes a no trade clause. Had he really researched the Knicks prior to coming on board, he'd know that trading Carmelo for whatever assets he could get would be the proper way to rebuild and create a new culture on the Knicks. Everything else he does is dancing around the edges. So long that Carmelo is on the team, the Knicks will be losers.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#48 » by BoutPractice » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Phil is actually the best hope the Knicks have had for a long while.

In recent years the Knicks have tried several strategies. They've tried trading for big names. They've tried relying on free agency. In the end they plateaued as an okay team with a questionable future.

What they haven't tried yet is pure tanking. So far the tank job is highly successful, as the Knicks are the worst team in the NBA... and they've managed to achieve that result while retaining Carmelo Anthony.

Now, no one's saying that Patrick Ewing is walking through that door in this year's draft, or the next should he continue down that road. But if there is in fact franchise superstar in there, the Knicks will be in a good position to grab them. And Phil knows what a real difference maker looks like.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,088

Post#49 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:23 pm

Nebula1 wrote:To go on Twitter to complain rather than addressing the team is weak sauce.

I agree but if we are being honest that was for the fans not the team. Maybe Quincy, and Calderon if they can't dump him, will be on that roster next year. When your roster is that bad, if effort was the issue, you could just bring in the bench. It's not like the drop off in talent from the Knicks starters to the Knicks reserves is noticeable. With Melo out, they have the worst roster in the league. Phil can admit that or blame the players. Turds roll down hill.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Doddage
Veteran
And1: 1,852

Post#50 » by Doddage » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:45 am

E-Balla wrote:You know this is his first year right? He couldn't have traded them earlier if he wanted to.

Obviously. That doesn't mean he had to pull the trigger as soon as he did.

E-Balla wrote:And Shump's stock was almost at an all time high. He started this season better than any season outside of his first year.

It's debatable that his value was that high, even at the beginning of the season. But assuming it was, his production dipped fairly consistently a month before going out with injury, and a dislocated shoulder in itself lowered his value for the time being.
gustofwind
Rookie
And1: 649

Post#51 » by gustofwind » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:29 am

He's wrong. It wasn't embarrassing. Embarrassing is when you lose by a lot when you weren't supposed to lose by a lot.

I prefer positive reinforcement. Frankly it would show a lot more character on the part of a GM to support their team when they were losing rather then criticizing them -- especially if that GM had a large hand in the make up of that team.
think peaceful thoughts :meditate:
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,143

Post#52 » by Froob » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:38 am

DETermination wrote:Did he really think the Knicks had any chance at beating the Cavs with the crap roster they have lol

Honestly 18 pts is a long closer than I'd thought they'd get especially with no Melo. He should be applauding their effort.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,143

Post#53 » by Froob » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:55 am

SF88 wrote:Phil Jackson imo is almost a worse GM than Jordan was when he was owner/GM of the Bobcats.

Dude hasn't even been there a year chill already. I'm saying this as a guy that would love to see him and the Knicks fail. Would love to give Red a leg up on him with Red being the GOAT GM but let's give Phil some time to get his plan in action before we decide he cant get the job done.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Kevin Johnson
Analyst
And1: 7,835

Post#54 » by Kevin Johnson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:10 am

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#55 » by Dupp » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:47 am

Would any of the knicks even start on any other team? There's 0 talent on that team atm so i dunno what he expects.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#56 » by DMVleGeND » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:50 am

RSCD3_ wrote:
Phil Jackson wrote:and those that know what "it" takes/means a smh.

What the hell is he talking about here :o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He obviously didn't mean to type the "a".
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#57 » by jackwindham » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:14 am

Jackson still knows how to pull the puppet strings. As much as I hate him, it impresses how easily he can do this.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#58 » by DTP » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:24 am

You can't put out that kind of roster and then blast them publically.....come on now.
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#59 » by Workforce250 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:51 am

No he didn't rip the Knicks. He chastised JR Smith for in his own words, living the night life in New York and not being ready 100% for the games.
It had nothing to do with the Knicks, stop making **** up.
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,880

Post#60 » by Context » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:06 am

MasterHinkie wrote:This is just a smokescreen, Zen knows full well the Knicks couldn't compete with the Cavs and is just talking crap to pretend he isn't down with the tank.
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"

Return to The General Board