James Harden drops 44 points, his 8th 40 point game this season

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Re: James Harden drops 44 points, his 8th 40 point game this season 

Post#121 » by richboy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 pm

gmoney411 wrote:
richboy wrote:
PaulieWal wrote:Harden is a great player, a legit MVP candidate this year but.....still one of the most boring superstars of all-time to watch. He's as efficient and skilled as some of the other top guys like LeBron, KD, Curry but his game is amazingly boring. He's efficient as an offensive threat (TS%) but he's still not that fun to watch given he's not efficient from the field (FG%).

I don't think its the fg%. Tim Legler hit on something that I have said for years. Harden does not make a lot of field goals. He is not a great shot maker. I personally think he is boring because he does the same thing over and over again. You know he going to drive left. You know he going to do a step back jump shot if he can't go left. You know on a lot of plays he will rather try to draw a foul than make a shot.

It isn't boring for me but it is like your watching the same thing over and over every game. If he did it in the playoffs you probably just tip your hat to him. Instead when teams see him over and over in the playoffs suddenly those step back jumpers aren't fooling anyone and everyone is wondering what happened to Harden.

The step back jumper has always been one of his moves but it was never his go to move before this year. The playoffs problem for Harden in past years was the lack of calls and not from people catching on to the step back. I actually think he made the step back a bigger part of his game to prepare for the playoffs.

Honestly I have no clue where your getting that. On this board last year people had a tally on how many step back jump shots he tried. Including a game where he tried it over 20 times.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
young_frogger
Rookie
And1: 965

Post#122 » by young_frogger » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:10 pm

Cavs0623 wrote:
The_Answer wrote:Harden homers are truly a tremendous bunch. It's not the fact that we, the objective fans of the NBA, don't see that he doesn't have talent, or that he cannot drive passed his defenders, etc. etc. It's what he does the moment he drives that makes him truly un-watchable. Harden over-exaggerates the majority of his contact. The man overtly flails the minute a defender shows any resistance to his move. ANY. It's laughable.

I live in FL and get to see plenty of Magic games, and I cannot for the life of me understand how someone like Oladipo shoots less than half as many freethrows as the beard when the man routinely blows passed defenders and gets hit with contact that would put Harden in a coma. In fact, in the most recent Magic/Rockets game, officials swallowed their whistle for 3 quarters and Oladipo completely shut him down. He was virtually invisible all game.

Harden's flopping has a two-fold effect: 1) it obviously gets him to the line; but more importantly 2) the defense becomes extremely timid to guard him. I could not tell you the amount of fouls I've seen him get when defending players are literally holding their hands straight up or just moving with their feet. Or worse, standing straight when he runs them over. This is the source of his inflated stats. We will all see come playoff time if his style can adapt, but the way I see it, his efficiency will come to a grinding halt, to the displeasure of most viewers.

Objective
> Realgm, Objective
Stop my sides, James Harden outside of here and a few other small boards is liked by most fans. Outside of the internet (mainly here) I've heard maybe two people complain about his game. Everyone else applauds him for being able to get to the line

Lets not forget he's so unwatchable that he was only 5 players to have million votes for the all-star games. Fans really don't want to watch him. Also his jersey is also 14th in popularity through the end of Dec but fans don't like his game lol

Leading scorer in the NBA and he's 14th? That's pretty bad.
Carry On My Hayward Son
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#123 » by inquisitive » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:14 pm

He is awesome. Glad he isn't lazy like so many players these days that settles to shoot jumpers....he gets to the rim.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Veez
Pro Prospect
And1: 192

Post#124 » by Veez » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:19 pm

inquisitive wrote:He is awesome. Glad he isn't lazy like so many players these days that settles to shoot jumpers....he gets to the rim.

lol the only reason hes going to the rim is to get a call for some free throws. hes not actually trying to make a shot
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,406

Re: Re: James Harden drops 44 points, his 8th 40 point game this season 

Post#125 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:23 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:
Mad Balla 15 wrote:
Scuba Steez wrote:It'd be nice to see the hilights of the fouls to see if he deserved all of the free throws or not.

Nobody wants to relive watching that.

Harden is the definition of a manufactured "superstar." Take his calls away and he wouldn't be able to do much at all. Before someone tells me he's "crafty," Paul Pierce was crafty, Harden is a flop artist.

Anyways let's see if these calls continue in the playoffs. If they don't then the Rockets better get ready for another 1st round exit.

Don't agree at all. It starts with his great shooting ability and his deceptive athleticism. He shows amazing body controls, gets into the lane at will, finishes through weaker defenders. He oversells fouls, but most are still fouls. Then you look at his ball handling and passing ability, he got it all really.

I want to agree....and I WANT to give him credit. But I've seen him play the Warriors when he wasn't gettig bailed out and he didn't do jack.

Now imagine Curry flopping or running into People ON PURPOSE so he can get to the line? Imagine if every guard in the league played the same way Harden does....constantly trying to game the officials :( Wade, Harden and Chris Paul are in a class by themselves...luckly it's a small class :nod:
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Post#126 » by gmoney411 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:26 pm

richboy wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
richboy wrote:
I don't think its the fg%. Tim Legler hit on something that I have said for years. Harden does not make a lot of field goals. He is not a great shot maker. I personally think he is boring because he does the same thing over and over again. You know he going to drive left. You know he going to do a step back jump shot if he can't go left. You know on a lot of plays he will rather try to draw a foul than make a shot.

It isn't boring for me but it is like your watching the same thing over and over every game. If he did it in the playoffs you probably just tip your hat to him. Instead when teams see him over and over in the playoffs suddenly those step back jumpers aren't fooling anyone and everyone is wondering what happened to Harden.

The step back jumper has always been one of his moves but it was never his go to move before this year. The playoffs problem for Harden in past years was the lack of calls and not from people catching on to the step back. I actually think he made the step back a bigger part of his game to prepare for the playoffs.

Honestly I have no clue where your getting that. On this board last year people had a tally on how many step back jump shots he tried. Including a game where he tried it over 20 times.

Just from watching almost all of his games the past 3 years. It seems like he takes a lot more. But I went to NBA.com to check. His first year in Houston he took 70 step backs at 32%. Last year he took 147 at 45%. And this year he has taken 160 at 49%. The increase hasn't been as great as I thought it was between this year and last year but year one it definitely wasn't what he was relying on in the playoffs. Also, the numbers show that he has been using it more frequently every year and is getting more efficient.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#127 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:27 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Now imagine Curry flopping

Don't have to imagine it, he does it all the time, as do Green and Speights. Granted, none of them are as bad as Harden.
gmoney411
Assistant Coach

Post#128 » by gmoney411 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:34 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:
Mad Balla 15 wrote:
Nobody wants to relive watching that.

Harden is the definition of a manufactured "superstar." Take his calls away and he wouldn't be able to do much at all. Before someone tells me he's "crafty," Paul Pierce was crafty, Harden is a flop artist.

Anyways let's see if these calls continue in the playoffs. If they don't then the Rockets better get ready for another 1st round exit.

Don't agree at all. It starts with his great shooting ability and his deceptive athleticism. He shows amazing body controls, gets into the lane at will, finishes through weaker defenders. He oversells fouls, but most are still fouls. Then you look at his ball handling and passing ability, he got it all really.

I want to agree....and I WANT to give him credit. But I've seen him play the Warriors when he wasn't gettig bailed out and he didn't do jack.

Now imagine Curry flopping or running into People ON PURPOSE so he can get to the line? Imagine if every guard in the league played the same way Harden does....constantly trying to game the officials :( Wade, Harden and Chris Paul are in a class by themselves...luckly it's a small class :nod:

Did you see him only get 4 FTs against the Warriors this year and still drop 34 on 51/37 percentages in 3 quarters? His two bad games against the Warriors are still games where he got to the line 6 and 7 times. The FTs are definitely a big part of his game but he can still light you up without them.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,074

Post#129 » by MrBigShot » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Harden's high scoring games are so boring and uninspiring. Nothing like what a 40+ point game should be.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#130 » by cw3k » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:59 pm

MrBigShot wrote:Harden's high scoring games are so boring and uninspiring. Nothing like what a 40+ point game should be.

I know. Who wants to make a video highlighting free throw 2/3 of the time. :roll:
Jonatton Yeah
Veteran
And1: 4,062

Post#131 » by Jonatton Yeah » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Is this "cooking/chef" thing now like actually a thing? That's gotta be the lamest "thing" since unsliced bread. Have a word, Rockets.
That's hilarious and co
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#132 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Jonatton Yeah wrote:Is this "cooking/chef" thing now like actually a thing? That's gotta be the lamest "thing" since unsliced bread. Have a word, Rockets.

Harden will serve your favorite team a 40 point plate soon...don't worry
gmoney411
Assistant Coach

Post#133 » by gmoney411 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:19 pm

Jonatton Yeah wrote:Is this "cooking/chef" thing now like actually a thing? That's gotta be the lamest "thing" since unsliced bread. Have a word, Rockets.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D3js33Nk3U[/youtube]
Jonatton Yeah
Veteran
And1: 4,062

Post#134 » by Jonatton Yeah » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:36 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:

Why would I be worried. Who worries about a basketball game. Do you worry about basketball games? I would be more worried about participating in this dumb Harden cooking/making broth/frying fish/open-face soup/whatever meme-thing. Has there ever been a more feeble attempt at humor?

Oh! Harden! Gosh, isn't he funny! That Harden sure is zany! One madcap fella, that Harden. Make some soup, Harden! Like, pretend style! That'll make us all laugh and laugh. Haw-Haw-Haw-Haw! Harden!
That's hilarious and co
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#135 » by TaylorMonkey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:50 pm

gmoney411 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
WhatsMyName wrote:
Kevin Durant averaged the same amount of free throws last year (9.9FTA/G), since 2000 4 of 15 MVPs averaged 9.9+ FTA/G and since 2000 a player averaged 9.9+FTA 32 times and only 2 of them weren't an All-Star in that year.

The "slap" has happened so many times and people generally don't care, people just want to hate on Harden and use the free throws as an excuse.

They all averaged way more field goal a game than Harden... No MVP has ever had a FTR as high as Harden's this year as far back as I've checked. He's in a league of his own.

I mean how in the hell can a SG shooting 39% since All-Star break (not a single game over 50% from the field either... in 16 tries) win MVP. If he wins it It'll be a slap in the face to Steph Curry the real MVP.

Also did they really take Steph's cooking metaphor from him? First Harden fans took King James now they're taking Chef Curry?

They averaged more FGA attempts because they take more jump shots. Guys like Durant, LeBron, Westbrook take a lot more mid range shots. Harden is either shooting a 3 or driving to the lane a majority of the time.

The fact that Harden drives so much and still has a FG% below 40 makes his shooting percentages and reliance on free throws all the more glaring.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by TaylorMonkey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:53 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:

Well it's not going to be any time the rest of the regular season. Would have been nice to taste that dish but alas, 4-0 and no games left.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant

Post#137 » by TaylorMonkey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:55 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Now imagine Curry flopping

Don't have to imagine it, he does it all the time, as do Green and Speights. Granted, none of them are as bad as Harden.

Clipper fans calling out other players for flopping. Kind of surreal. :P Green and Curry are pretty low on the list of habitual floppers. But Speights does flop. Still below Harden, Paul, and Griffin-- the unholy trinity of flopping.
The_Answer
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#138 » by The_Answer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:00 am

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
Cavs0623 wrote:Objective
> Realgm, Objective
Stop my sides, James Harden outside of here and a few other small boards is liked by most fans. Outside of the internet (mainly here) I've heard maybe two people complain about his game. Everyone else applauds him for being able to get to the line

Lets not forget he's so unwatchable that he was only 5 players to have million votes for the all-star games. Fans really don't want to watch him. Also his jersey is also 14th in popularity through the end of Dec but fans don't like his game lol

Testify. It's clear that most of the Harden haters don't play any competitive basketball at all, so it goes completely over their head how he is able to draw so many fouls.

To the Cavaliers poster, I'm not entirely sure where you get your consensus from but from every hardcore NBA fan I've spoken to, all seem to detest his game. And 14th in jersey sales + 5th in all-star voting despite an astronomical Chinese following (as every Rockets star post-Yao has) isn't terribly impressive.

To the Knicks fan, I really don't understand what in the hell you're saying. Something about having to play at a high level as a prerequisite to understanding objective data? You haven't addressed a single point in this entire thread, unless you somehow consider using the 6th grade term "hater" and tossing out that awful "cooking" metaphor whenever you get the chance. Please rejoin us when you have something remotely thoughtful worth mentioning.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmSEaeUQpg[/youtube]

I didn't even have to dig deep into any archives to prove my point.

1:29 - Defender moving his feet, doesn't move his arms. Flop.
1:49 - Defender right with him. Throws the ball up to get the foul.
3:04 - Nurkic is simply back-peddling. Can't do that with Harden, apparently. Foul.
3:25 - Runs over Jameer. Blocking foul.
3:31 - Dives in between two defenders, who were only moving their feet. Flails. Gets foul.
4:07 - Once again, defender is just moving their feet. Gallinari didn't even graze him.

Once again, it's not that I don't recognize that he's talented. He is tremendously talented, a good slasher and has a pretty quick first step, but it is befuddling to see his most avid fans chalk all of this up to his ball-handling and how elite he is at creating contact. It truly is laughable. He is the most protected player in the league, at least during the regular season. And even if he is so very "crafty" at how he "draws fouls," or extends his arm and just knows how to seek contact, is that really something you as a fan want to watch? Something the league wants to encourage? Freethrows were devised to grant players who were legitimately looking to score a basket a chance to reclaim their points, not as a way to getting free points by creating faux contact.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#139 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:13 am

Jonatton Yeah wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:

Why would I be worried. Who worries about a basketball game. Do you worry about basketball games? I would be more worried about participating in this dumb Harden cooking/making broth/frying fish/open-face soup/whatever meme-thing. Has there ever been a more feeble attempt at humor?

Oh! Harden! Gosh, isn't he funny! That Harden sure is zany! One madcap fella, that Harden. Make some soup, Harden! Like, pretend style! That'll make us all laugh and laugh. Haw-Haw-Haw-Haw! Harden!

What?
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#140 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:15 am

TaylorMonkey wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:

Well it's not going to be any time the rest of the regular season. Would have been nice to taste that dish but alas, 4-0 and no games left.

Warriors fans are so confident this season...I can't wait until the playoffs

Return to The General Board