Paul Pierce to retire next year

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Kaykoose
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,406

Re: Paul Pierce to retire next year 

Post#61 » by Kaykoose » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Wow. DIdn't sugar coat anything at all. Refreshing to see.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#62 » by Goudelock » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:43 pm

aal04 wrote:Dem Old skool players. So much like everything irl. Young guys lack determination and have so much talent. Hate to see it wasted. Dying breed.

Which young players give a chit?

Brow - turns up and never seen him get emotional
Wiggins - just happy playing
Kawhi - emotionless
LBJ - jumps teams looking for easy exit
Bynum - couldnt give a chit
Harden - more interested in the mvp race.
Curry - likes to entertain people.

Maybe westbrook gives a chit.

Old guys = Duncan is first guy back every summer. Kobe lives in the gym. KG would sell his soul to put an opponent off.

The thing I find to be hilarious about this post is that I just read a book written in 2000. It had a section about how the "Young Players" like Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, Dirk, etc. didn't have the same desire and passion that the old guys had, and that basketball was going to be terrible after the 80's-90's guys retired. Fast-forward 15 years....
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
TankShow
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#63 » by TankShow » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:44 pm

SF88 wrote:
TankShow wrote:
SF88 wrote:He should just retire after this year. He can be part of the greatest retirement class in NBA history.

Him, KG, and Kobe are right on E however I don't see Duncan retiring. The way he's played this season I could see him playing another 2-3 seasons. He's always said he'll retire when he is no longer helping the team and quite honestly the man kept his team afloat when Leonard was out for much of the season and Parker looked like a shell of himself.

You forgot Steve Nash.

Yeah sorry for some reason I thought you said next year.
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#64 » by irie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Great article. I'm actually surprised Pierce hasn't even talked to Ray once since he left. I thought it was just KG who didn't want to talk to him.
♣|☸
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#65 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:47 pm

aal04 wrote:Dem Old skool players. So much like everything irl. Young guys lack determination and have so much talent. Hate to see it wasted. Dying breed.

Kawhi - emotionless

Old guys = Duncan is first guy back every summer. Kobe lives in the gym. KG would sell his soul to put an opponent off.

I seem to recall Pierce being written off not too long ago as a chucker and a primadonna who didn't care enough about winning. The same **** gets said about players in literally every era, you're just too blinded by nostalgia to notice.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#66 » by lukekarts » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 am

Cavs0623 wrote:
lukekarts wrote:

Kawhi - emotionless

That's a good point actually, we used to hear stories about the work ethic of Garnett, Kobe etc... seems that's all we still have.

Who are the young guys putting in the effort? Or is Pierce right, the younger generation are just less bothered?

Yeah cause you know Lebron didnt learn to get in the post, Durant hasn't become a better ballhandler, playmaker, defender and getting better shots, Paul George hasn't improved into a top 5 small forward, RW didnt develop from a guy who played only sg in college to a top 3 nba pg. Steph didn't go from a guy who teams wondered if he could run a team well enough to the best PG in the league. But lets stick with the only the older generation works hard.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Players have improved and obviously do put work in, my point was that we used to hear stories about work ethic quite frequently, now not so much...
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,173

Post#67 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:45 am

MartinToVaught wrote:

Kawhi - emotionless

I seem to recall Pierce being written off not too long ago as a chucker and a primadonna who didn't care enough about winning. The same **** gets said about players in literally every era, you're just too blinded by nostalgia to notice.

Winning championships (as the man, I should add) changes stories. What if Dallas had not beaten Miami? Dirk would probably be still known as one of the softest players in the NBA. Or take your coach Doc Rivers. Nobody thought he was any good before. I remember rumors about him being fired before the Big 3 came into town.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#68 » by TKainZero » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:40 am

Apart from the wheelchair incident, nothing but respect for PP.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!

Return to The General Board