Woj Sources: Thunder to evaluate Scott Brooks' future as coach

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

oikosnomos
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Re: Woj Sources: Thunder to evaluate Scott Brooks' future as coach 

Post#41 » by oikosnomos » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Doesn't call the shots, but if they do this and hire Donovan, then don't win a title, its epically dumb.

Dumb is not the word. If you can Brooks, you do it for a proven NBA coach.

This. The team needs someone to push it to the next level, not some rookie coach.

Because rookie coaches with ready built rosters can't get it done......
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,104

Post#42 » by JB2 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Cuban_Linx wrote:
JB2 wrote:Personally, and I've felt this way for sometime now, KD and Westbrook are gone.

You, too, are basing this on absolutely nothing.

Hence why I said I "personally feel". It's a gut feeling. Unlike Cousins, Love, Melo, Dwight, etc where the writing was/is on the walls, you're right. My gut just tells me KD leaves which pushes Westbrook over the edge to leave. Could be totally wrong or could be right but neither have re-signed and until they do it's all speculation.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#43 » by DanTown8587 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Thibs makes sense: he knows how to coach defense and he knows how to maximize a P&R offense based around an athletic PG. Too bad they're a year late on SVG but I think they could be better if they even went with a Brett Brown. An interesting guy to look out for is Ty Lue.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#44 » by PaulieWal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:17 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Doesn't call the shots, but if they do this and hire Donovan, then don't win a title, its epically dumb.

I don't see anyone better on the market. And I don't think they fire him anyway.

I know you like him bondom but I see a lot of similarities to the Mark Jackson situations here. Obviously Brooks isn't crazy and isn't paranoid about his assistants lol but I wouldn't be hesitant to fire him for a better coach.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,244

Post#45 » by Archerbro » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:18 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:They need fire him. His Iso plays he runs are just terrible.

Do you think Westbrook and Durant stop running ISO plays under another coach?

I mean that's partially the question, is it the coach or players?

Westbrook is always gonna have hero ball in him, but I do think a coach will or can get to him and tell him when it's good and when it's not (it usually isn't except when it goes in which is a low % anyways-in general for all players).

but this is year 3 after their trip to the finals and their offense is still predictable and good teams know that.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#46 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:19 pm

PaulieWal wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

I don't see anyone better on the market. And I don't think they fire him anyway.

I know you like him bondom but I see a lot of similarities to the Mark Jackson situations here. Obviously Brooks isn't crazy and isn't paranoid about his assistants lol but I wouldn't be hesitant to fire him for a better coach.

But it leaves the question of who's better on the market. I don't see anyone.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#47 » by jbk1234 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:20 pm

Archerbro wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:They need fire him. His Iso plays he runs are just terrible.

Do you think Westbrook and Durant stop running ISO plays under another coach?

I mean that's partially the question, is it the coach or players?

Westbrook is always gonna have hero ball in him, but I do think a coach will or can get to him and tell him when it's good and when it's not (it usually isn't except when it goes in which is a low % anyways-in general for all players).

but this is year 3 after their trip to the finals and their offense is still predictable and good teams know that.

The biggest problem with firing Brooks is finding a replacement that will matter.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#48 » by PaulieWal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:22 pm

bondom34 wrote:
PaulieWal wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I don't see anyone better on the market. And I don't think they fire him anyway.

That's why for sure it can't be a rash firing. They have to look at the market first and if they can find the next Kerr you have to take that chance.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#49 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:24 pm

PaulieWal wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
PaulieWal wrote:

That's why for sure it can't be a rash firing. They have to look at the market first and if they can find the next Kerr you have to take that chance.

Exactly, which is part of why I doubt they do it. It wasn't really too shocking, every coach gets evaluated. I don't see any good replacements as of now.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,265

Post#50 » by kodo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:28 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

This. The team needs someone to push it to the next level, not some rookie coach.

Title Favorites:
Golden State: Rookie Head Coach
Cleveland: Rookie Head Coach
Atlanta: 2nd year Coach
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#51 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:32 pm

In each of the scenarios painted, Blatt was hired before Lebron made his decision. Budenholzer has no stars he has to adhere to and Golden State, all of their good players are already under contract. The Thunder's best two players are unrestricted free agents in the next two years. They can't just fire dude and not get world's better. Not before KD re-signs anyway.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,265

Post#52 » by kodo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:45 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:In each of the scenarios painted, Blatt was hired before Lebron made his decision. Budenholzer has no stars he has to adhere to and Golden State, all of their good players are already under contract. The Thunder's best two players are unrestricted free agents in the next two years. They can't just fire dude and not get world's better. Not before KD re-signs anyway.

Blatt was hired before Lebron made his decision which means Lebron did not have an issue w/ a rookie HC. He did not see this as an issue, as the best player in the league.

The # of years doesn't matter as much as what kind of system, culture, and high level strategy the coach is going to implement.

And regardless of whether the new coach has 20 years of experience or 0, if Durant & WB simply don't like the guy OKC isn't going to hire him. Getting along w/ the two stars is going to be the first thing checked, whether it's a vet coach or not.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#53 » by whocurrz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:54 pm

I hope they don't steal him but I think Gentry could be a good coach. Players like him, knows how to install good offenses that cater to his players strengths and a pretty decent rèsumè. Hasn't won a championship but never really had a championship quality team and he took a worse Phoenix team to game 6 against a pretty stacked Lakers squad with a heartbreaking buzzer beater loss. He's well connected so could probably get some solid defensive assistants.

I know the players like Brooks and it's easy to concoct a sky is falling scenario where everyone leaves (some Warriors fans thought the same about Mark Jackson). But its becoming evident teams need coaches with great tact with the game moving towards more ball movement and spacing that requires great team offense and defense.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#54 » by Pillendreher » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:21 pm

kodo wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Title Favorites:
Golden State: Rookie Head Coach
Cleveland: Rookie Head Coach
Atlanta: 2nd year Coach

Golden State: Experienced assistant coaches.
Cleveland: Experienced and successful euro coach
Atland: Long time assistant with Pop

I'm talking about guys that have no real experience on a professional level. I know Brooks has his faults, but you don't replace your hc with some college guy with your two best players expiring in the next two years. That's not showing them that you mean business, that's showing them that they have to wait yet another season or two before they can finally take the next step.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#55 » by Goudelock » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:29 pm

whocurrz wrote:I hope they don't steal him but I think Gentry could be a good coach. Players like him, knows how to install good offenses that cater to his players strengths and a pretty decent rèsumè. Hasn't won a championship but never really had a championship quality team and he took a worse Phoenix team to game 6 against a pretty stacked Lakers squad with a heartbreaking buzzer beater loss. He's well connected so could probably get some solid defensive assistants.

I know the players like Brooks and it's easy to concoct a sky is falling scenario where everyone leaves (some Warriors fans thought the same about Mark Jackson). But its becoming evident teams need coaches with great tact with the game moving towards more ball movement and spacing that requires great team offense and defense.

Gentry sounds intriguing. I've heard that supposedly he's the real mastermind behind the Warriors motion-triangle hybrid offense.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#56 » by MrBigShot » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Brooks is by no means an elite coach, but OKC's misfortunes have far less to do with him and more to do with injuries and management trading Harden instead of just giving him the extension he wanted, or at the very least keeping him for one more title run and then a chance to retain him as an RFA.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
dozendonuts
Sixth Man
And1: 2,878

Post#57 » by dozendonuts » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Leon Black wrote:OKC has peaked. I strongly feel Durant is gone and Westbrook to follow.

Would you say they peaked in 2013 missing Westbrook?
Or 2014 missing Ibaka?
Or this year missing everyone?
ElectricMayhem wrote:If Kevin Martin walks? You blow it up, you tank, you pray to high heaven that another once in a generation Kevin Martin-type player somehow lands on your team. That's all you can do, really.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,618

Post#58 » by infinite11285 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:40 pm

jpengland wrote:Thibs in OKC would be epic

He'd epically run that team into the ground. Keep him away from OKC.
Kingshadaine
Junior
And1: 224

Post#59 » by Kingshadaine » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Durant isn't going anywhere, especially after the video the fans made for him
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,162

Post#60 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:12 pm

John Calipari's ears just perked up after hearing this.

Return to The General Board