Which lottery teams will make the playoffs next year?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Which lottery teams will make the playoffs next year? 

Post#81 » by RTM » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Barring major injuries, I don't think the West changes much - OKC will replace NO or (depending on free agency) Portland, Dallas or Memphis.

The East will be more competitive by virtue of being worse. Brooklyn will allot certainly fall out of the playoffs, and my bet is at least one of the Raptors, Wizards, Bucks or Celtics do so as well. Indiana will probably be in the playoffs, as will Miami if it brings back Dragic and a healthy Bosh. I think the Pistons will compete as well.

I don't understand why people are penciling New York in. Not all lottery picks are high impact guys, and we all know the Knicks tend to miss on their big target in free agency. Even if they get Greg Monroe (a very good player), I don't know that he, an aging Melo and typical rookie production make a playoff team with nothing else of surrounding them. Galloway showed some staying power, but the cupboards are bare.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Re: Which lottery teams will make the playoffs next year? 

Post#82 » by Madhouse » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:21 pm

RTM wrote:Barring major injuries, I don't think the West changes much - OKC will replace NO or (depending on free agency) Portland, Dallas or Memphis.

The East will be more competitive by virtue of being worse. Brooklyn will allot certainly fall out of the playoffs, and my bet is at least one of the Raptors, Wizards, Bucks or Celtics do so as well. Indiana will probably be in the playoffs, as will Miami if it brings back Dragic and a healthy Bosh. I think the Pistons will compete as well.

I don't understand why people are penciling New York in. Not all lottery picks are high impact guys, and we all know the Knicks tend to miss on their big target in free agency. Even if they get Greg Monroe (a very good player), I don't know that he, an aging Melo and typical rookie production make a playoff team with nothing else of surrounding them. Galloway showed some staying power, but the cupboards are bare.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app

The Bucks are a lock with Parker/Giannis/Middleton
The Heat are a lock with Dragic/Wade/Deng/Bosh/Whiteside

my guess would be

Cavs
Bulls
Hawks
Bucks
Pacers
Heat
Raptors
Wizards
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,358

Post#83 » by HoopsterJones » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:22 pm

OKC is an obvious choice, provided that KD and the team can stay relatively healthy.

As for the East, Pacers and Heat should make it if their key players stay healthy as well.

The Knicks may be a fringe playoff team and capture the 8th seed, but I can't see 3 out of the eight current playoffs teams in the EC not making it next year. Bucks are young and play defense and will get Parker back. CLE, CHI, ATL, TOR, WAS, MIL, should all make it again if healthy.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#84 » by ImChillin01 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:19 am

nybluemeadow wrote:I think the Wolves will end up beating out the Jazz for the 8th spot in the west next year. People don't really understand that the Wolves were actually good when Rubio played and i think he will be able to play 80 games next year, along with A&W.

No way in hell TWoles are making the playoffs, over the Jazz, REALLY?! Jazz had one of best record and BEST DEFENSE post ASG. Wolves got good young talent but arent ready to take next step. Even with healthy Rubio it will still only get them 30-35 wins.

Exum/Burks/Hayward/Favors/Gobert > Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Towns?/Pek
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: Which lottery teams will make the playoffs next year? 

Post#85 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 am

ImChillin01 wrote:No way in hell TWoles are making the playoffs, over the Jazz, REALLY?! Jazz had one of best record and BEST DEFENSE post ASG. Wolves got good young talent but arent ready to take next step. Even with healthy Rubio it will still only get them 30-35 wins.

Rubio - Exum
Lavine - Burks
Wiggins - Hayward
KG - Favors
Towns or Okafor - Gobert

Isn't so far away in terms of talent. The PF is a problem for Minny for sure, maybe they can fix that with a trade. But i'll take the backcourt of Minny over Utah any day.
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#86 » by ImChillin01 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:46 am

mercgold3 wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:No way in hell TWoles are making the playoffs, over the Jazz, REALLY?! Jazz had one of best record and BEST DEFENSE post ASG. Wolves got good young talent but arent ready to take next step. Even with healthy Rubio it will still only get them 30-35 wins.

Rubio - Exum
Lavine - Burks
Wiggins - Hayward
KG - Favors
Towns or Okafor - Gobert

Isn't so far away in terms of talent. The PF is a problem for Minny for sure, maybe they can fix that with a trade. But i'll take the backcourt of Minny over Utah any day.

Jazz have HUGE HUGE adv on fronctcourt over Wolves. Currently and for next year Hawyard and Burks > Wiggins and Lavine (only going to be in their soph year). Only adv Wolves have is PG
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#87 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:24 am

ImChillin01 wrote:Jazz have HUGE HUGE adv on fronctcourt over Wolves. Currently and for next year Hawyard and Burks > Wiggins and Lavine (only going to be in their soph year). Only adv Wolves have is PG

Yeah, you´re right. But that can be fixed in the draft (Towns) and in atrade for a guy like T.Gibson (example)

I still take Wiggins, Lavine (Soph year) over Hayward and Burks.
But there is also K.Martin + Shabazz, and Utah has R.Hood too.

I think Minnesota has a slice advantage in the backcourt + bench over Utah. (When they are healthy)
I think Utah has a HUGE advantage in frountcourt over Minnesota.
piston1423
Pro Prospect
And1: 132

Post#88 » by piston1423 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:51 am

Pistons. They were close to making it this year, there's no reason they can't make it with an improved team next year.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#89 » by Catchall » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:46 pm

New Orleans with Tyreke and Davis are probably only going to continue to improve. The team in the WC that looks to me like it could slip would be Dallas, but I think a team is going to have to win about 48 just to get in the POs next year. The 8 - 10 seeds should be really close again.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#90 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Way too early top 8 for east/west

EAST
1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Miami
4. Toronto
5. Atlanta
6. Indiana
7. Detroit

8. Washington
OUT: Milwaukee, Boston, Orlando, New York, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Philadelphia

West
1. Golden State
2. Oklahoma City
3. San Antonio
4. Memphis
5. LA Clippers
6. Houston
7. New Orleans
8. Utah
OUT: Portland, Dallas, LA Lakers, Sacramento, Phoenix, Denver, Minnesota
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#91 » by Madhouse » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:Way too early top 8 for east/west

EAST
1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Miami
4. Toronto
5. Atlanta
6. Indiana
7. Detroit

8. Washington
OUT: Milwaukee, Boston, Orlando, New York, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Philadelphia

West
1. Golden State
2. Oklahoma City
3. San Antonio
4. Memphis
5. LA Clippers
6. Houston
7. New Orleans
8. Utah
OUT: Portland, Dallas, LA Lakers, Sacramento, Phoenix, Denver, Minnesota

Why do you have the Bucks missing the playoffs? They are getting Parker back and have cap room. They could emerge as a top 4 team in the East.

Out West I can see the Spurs dropping to a 7th seed with New Orleans getting to the 4/5 seed and Utah sneaking in as the 8th seed.

Return to The General Board