Worst western conference playoff team of the last decade?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Worst western conference playoff team of the last decade? 

Post#1 » by TKainZero » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Who has been the worst western conference playoff team of the last decade?

Im looking at Boston, Brooklyn, and the bucks, and I ant help but thnk that these 3 teams are worse than any western confrence team that has made the playoffs in recent memory?

Was there ever a western confrence playoff team that had as little chance as the trio of suckness that is the botten 3 east playoffs teams?
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
fivecardstud14
Freshman
And1: 118

Post#2 » by fivecardstud14 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Lakers a couple years ago were hurt and not good when the playoffs came around.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Worst western conference playoff team of the last decade? 

Post#3 » by Kabookalu » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:41 pm

Tough call. Just skimming through all of the western conference playoff teams in the last decade, I'd place my bet on the 2011-12 Utah Jazz.
Read on Twitter
Rupert Murdoch
Starter
And1: 1,906

Post#4 » by Rupert Murdoch » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:49 pm

2006 Nuggets- SRS of 0.36, Point differential of +0.2 PPG, and got routed by the Clippers in their first round series. Also, I remember Western Conference teams deliberately losing games to get the Nuggets in the first round which eventually caused a change in the playoff seeding format. That's how weak they were. So I believe the '06 Nuggets were the worst.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#5 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:00 pm

I was going to say one of those Carmelo led Nuggets teams (and sure enough right above me is a post about them). That Laker team in 2013 was missing Kobe/Nash and even the backups. So it was Goudelock and Darius Morris trying to help Dwight and Pau against the Spurs. That team was devastated by injuries right before the playoffs.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
etopn23
Head Coach
And1: 160

Post#6 » by etopn23 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:09 pm

2004-2005 Memphis Grizzlies.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#7 » by whocurrz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:55 pm

I immediately thought about some of those old nuggets teams. lakers of 12-13 might be the worst but that's because Kobe got hurt like 5 games before the playoffs so the roster that played was much weaker than the roster that got them there. Nash was out, Gasol was hobbled and probably at a career worst and Dwight was just mentally checked out. Jazz the year before were not a strong team but the physical state of that lakers team along with Dwights state of given up and the dysfunction , I cant think of many teams that team would have beaten.with a healthy Kobe though I think they would have been alright though
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#8 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:21 pm

the 2014-2015 frailblazers if they don't get their act together. :(
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#9 » by snaquille oatmeal » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:26 pm

worst as in bad players or bad performance or unlucky with injuries? Dallas getting swept in the first round was really bad, but not a bad bunch.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,187

Post#10 » by GuyverX » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Rupert Murdoch wrote:2006 Nuggets- SRS of 0.36, Point differential of +0.2 PPG, and got routed by the Clippers in their first round series. Also, I remember Western Conference teams deliberately losing games to get the Nuggets in the first round which eventually caused a change in the playoff seeding format. That's how weak they were. So I believe the '06 Nuggets were the worst.

I remember that series pretty vividly as this the first time the Clippers had made the playoffs since the 90's. That Nuggets team was very flawed. The game plan was to double and triple team Carmelo and let all their other players shoot...and they basically had no shooters. At all. Their best 3 point shooter was Greg Buckner. Earl Boykins played horribly. The rest were big men who couldn't shoot. Brand and Kaman basically packed the paint in.

It was an easy win, though the Nuggets did take 1 game at home...but they were certainly the worst assembled group in terms of composition. Andre Miller, Camby, Kenyon Martin, Reggie Evans, Ruben Patterson, Francisco Elson, Najera...they were all just dared to shoot jumpers.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#11 » by TKainZero » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:12 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:worst as in bad players or bad performance or unlucky with injuries? Dallas getting swept in the first round was really bad, but not a bad bunch.

Pretty much

Bad players
Bad coach
Bad performance

Can't get to mad about injuries, and good coaches who gave a great performance shouldnt be docked...
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#12 » by Rosque » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:20 pm

whocurrz wrote:I immediately thought about some of those old nuggets teams. lakers of 12-13 might be the worst but that's because Kobe got hurt like 5 games before the playoffs so the roster that played was much weaker than the roster that got them there. Nash was out, Gasol was hobbled and probably at a career worst and Dwight was just mentally checked out. Jazz the year before were not a strong team but the physical state of that lakers team along with Dwights state of given up and the dysfunction , I cant think of many teams that team would have beaten.with a healthy Kobe though I think they would have been alright though

That team with healthy Kobe in 2nd part of the season was 28-12 iirc with Kobe playing, imo, his best basketball. They could've done some noise..probably a second round exit with both series being 7 games.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#13 » by Bobbcats » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:27 pm

The 2008-2009 Hornets team that lost to Denver in the first round by a million points has to be up there. They were a 7th seed but I don't know how that happened, just luck in close games.

It was basically Paul and David West. They had good names on the roster in Peja and Chandler, but they were injured and useless all season and even took the following year off on their next teams as well. The third best player was Rasual Butler who played as a Clippers deep bench player the next year. Noone else on the roster came close to being in an NBA rotation the following year. Also by the time the postseason came around Paul was banged up, so it was basically David West and a bunch of scrubs.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,614

Post#14 » by nomansland » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:29 pm

The 2005-2006 Nuggets squad that lost to the Clippers was a trainwreck. Ill-fitting roster, major chemistry issues, injuries, bad attitudes, and a distracted coach.
The Realist
Starter
And1: 1,496

Post#15 » by The Realist » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:47 pm

You Kobetard there, what the hell does walking backwards mean?
meh
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#16 » by Mich3006 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 am

The Dwight Howard Lakers...
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect
And1: 397

Post#17 » by basketballbeans » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:31 pm

Since you mention the under .500 Eastern teams to make the playoffs this year, I am assuming you're asking solely for records, correct? Well going back to the 2000-2001 season, there wasn't a team under .500 to make the Western playoffs. Two teams, both in 2006-2007, had 42-40 records to get into the post-season (Lakers and Warriors), and during the 2003-2004 season, the Nuggets racked up a 43-39 records and got into the post-season... other then that, every single play-off team has had a record of 44+ wins in the West.

Bonus Facts because I came across them while I was looking at recent standings
  • In 2007-2008, all 8 West playoff teams had 50 wins or more (but none had 60). Also, the 8th seed in the East was the Hawks with 37 wins... the King had 38 wins in the West, who were 11th seed.
  • In 2009-2010, all 16 playoff teams were .500 or over... also again, every West play-off team had 50 wins or more.
TheBledShow
Junior
And1: 39

Post#18 » by TheBledShow » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:36 pm

That year the Warriors were 47-35 and they were the 6th seed.... Phoenix was 48-34 last season and didnt make it. This year dragic left because they werent taking the next step. Sucks if your a suns fan, and watching beal and wall brick every shot, while your backcourt of dragic and bledsoe is destroyed. Phoenix was 38-33 at one point.... I think if no trades happened they would of made it

Return to The General Board