Referee Would have called foul on Curry shot IF he missed - WTF?!

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

The_ref
Senior
And1: 342

Re: Referee Would have called foul on Curry shot IF he missed - WTF?! 

Post#61 » by The_ref » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:49 am

So much ignorance in one thread. No wonder you guys are never satisfied with anything with all your conspiracy theories about everything a referee does.

Well first of all, Steph flopped like crazy on that shot (which he never seems to be critized for). Was he fouled as well? Yeah I think so, but I´m sure his behaviour in the situation affected the call.

And of course you can hold off on a call. As long as you do it both ways. If for example a player goes up for a rebound, gets lightly fouled and loses it out of bounds, you call an out of bounds play and neither blow a foul and give the ball to the team that touched it last before going out of bounds. "A foul is always a foul!" cries the general fans. No, as long as you call it the same both ways. There´s no point in blowing every bit of contact every way, you also have to care for the product, the game. And noone wants to see a game destroyed by a ref blowing his whistle every 10 seconds. Same thing with the traveling rule. If a player has just inbounded the ball under his own basket and is unguarded, who cares if he takes two steps? If he does it blowing by his defender near the basket on the other end? Well now that´s a totally different story.

All this seems like witchcraft to most fans but try to visit http://www.nba.com/news/officiating/ind ... f:nba:gnav and watch some of the videos if you really want to understand what goes in a game.

(Quick note: I´m a FIBA ref and NBA has other rules and interpretations of the rulebook.)
CallOfKtulu
Junior
And1: 646

Post#62 » by CallOfKtulu » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:02 am

Curry is used to getting the short end of the stick from the refs. Nothing new to him.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#63 » by richboy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:06 am

ReaLiez wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... Had-Missed

OK This is not about the game or the series - its about the acceptable notion that Refs can call fouls depending on if a shot is missed or not. NO WHERE in any rule book in the game of basketball states that a foul is dependent on whether or not a shot is made.

This makes me lose confidence in the Refs, the NBA and the overall notion of competitive sports. How do we put so much trust in the hands of these paid referees when each call is subjective. Moreover, it raises questions about what else is subjective? Would a ref call a foul at a mid court shot if a shot goes misses at the end of the first? or is it only at the end of a game where the game is on the line - how about if it wasn't Curry - WTF there are so many holes in this sport that have been brought to light.

This so called report has decimated the validity and reliability of referees, rule books, basketball, players, coaches, fans and most importantly the sanctity of fair competition. Silver needs to redefine the NBA game and the culture has to move FAR away from whatever Stern left behind because this is BS.

Are people OK with this?

Not sure if that is 100% accurate. I've heard Refs say they make calls based on if a player gets an advantage. For example Lebron is driving to the rim and he is hit slightly on the way. If he makes the shot the ref determines no advantage was achieved no reason to call the foul. If he misses it he might call the foul feeling the hit made the shot missed.

This conversation happened because the rules kind of help less strong players. Kevin Durant and Lebron James take the exact same shot and are hit with the same force. Lebron is too strong and he scores threw the contact. Durant not strong enough misses the shot. Lebron probably doesn't get the foul call and KD will get the foul call. By what I have heard from officials that is the correct way to go.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#64 » by Mylie10 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:29 am

Curry got plowed.....he would have got plowed if he contorted into a pretzel.....he didn't get run over because of his body angle...he got run over because Davis almost got to the shot and his momentum was gonna take Steph out no matter what.

So when you're going to be run over by a pterodactyl.....you automatically contort your body to protect yourself.

I get why they didnt call it, but that should have ended the game with Steph's 4 point play.....instead they won it in overtime..."Ball don't Lie!"

Was still a foul and I'm glad the league owned up to it. Rose colored glass are so Lennon...move on
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#65 » by Coxy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:48 am

I'm certain refs get bonuses for making playoff series longer.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#66 » by turk3d » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:05 am

How can someone fading away initiate contact (unless you're Jamaal Crawford)? He ended up out of bounds after AD slammed into him into the floor. Steph got creamed and you want to claim he initiated the foul. Sounds like a few sour grapes. :banghead:

It was a helluva play by Curry regardless, one for the annals.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
mattkobe1984
Starter
And1: 2,047

Referee Would have called foul on Curry shot IF he missed - WTF?! 

Post#67 » by mattkobe1984 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:35 am

They should offer timeout challenge to teams then problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#68 » by Phreak50 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:55 am

How this surprises anyone, I don't know.

For 20+ years now we've also seen the opposite. A guy gets a highlight dunk and the ref will call a phantom foul to emphasize the play/stop time for replays.

There's been 20+ years of travels not called.

So a no call on a potential game winning shot is nothing out of the norm.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#69 » by Jakay » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:03 am

For sure they would have. It's entertainment guys, not life or death. I don't think the game is crooked, by it's obviously called with an exciting outcome in mind. If you don't get that, you're in for a bumpy ride.

Winning the game on a single free throw is lame. That said, there is a point where it needs to be called, but I don't think this play was that point. He got the shot off clean, it was just the mugging afterwards.
The_ref
Senior
And1: 342

Post#70 » by The_ref » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Jakay wrote:For sure they would have. It's entertainment guys, not life or death. I don't think the game is crooked, by it's obviously called with an exciting outcome in mind. If you don't get that, you're in for a bumpy ride.

Winning the game on a single free throw is lame. That said, there is a point where it needs to be called, but I don't think this play was that point. He got the shot off clean, it was just the mugging afterwards.

Yes that´s the only possible solution. Refs can´t get a call right but in the instant of a second that they have to make a call, they have the ability to decide what will be the best possible outcome for the series and the NBA. Obviously.

Why aren´t the Pelicans players accused of the same thing? I mean how can you possibly rebound so poorly in the 4th quarter of a playoff game? Clearly the pelicans players rigged the game for the NBA. I mean if you don´t get that you´re in for a bumpy ride.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#71 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Entertainment business ha...it's a joke that wasn't called.
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,021

Post#72 » by Frozzy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:55 pm

Stephen Curry often times kicks his legs out, not to create contact but to avoid an ankle injury. Give shooters their space to land.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THGJJHln4Co[/youtube]
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#73 » by Little Digger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:27 pm

Curry's gone all Reggie Miller of late with the leg kicking and floping post-shot, so the refs have a hard time trusting what they see when he goes down..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#74 » by JonFromVA » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:45 pm

JustBlaze wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
ReaLiez wrote:
I assure you my friend there is no bias in my post at all. I didnt bet on the game, see the game, im not a fan of the warriors or the pelis per se nor do I have a crush on Curry. I dont even know if its the right call or not. I am vexxed about a referee basically saying I wait for the outcome of the shot to determine if I should call the foul or not....even worse it happened in the playoffs during a time where the game could have been decided. Raises a TON of questions regarding the validity and integrity of the game I love and grew up playing.

If you didn't see the game, is it possible then that you didn't realize that Curry's 3pter was the game winner?

An extra trip to the foul line would have had literally no impact on the outcome of that game.

As for NBA referees, it's been said that if the rules were enforced literally, that there would be a whistle on every play. Maybe the rules should be changed or the players should adapt? Or maybe the NBA likes it just how it is? Fans arguing about this stuff, after all, is a product of interest and investment of emotion in the game.

Literally no impact? Wasn't the play in question at the end of regulation? I think Curry getting a trip to the FT line, with a tie score and 2 seconds left on the clock would of had huge implications on the game...

Sorry, you're correct. I saw it wrong when reading/watching the link. I apologize. The ref clearly should have called the foul and given Curry the chance to score the go ahead point. I've seen them refuse to blow their whistle all the time in the final seconds of a game, but oddly rarely on a jump shot - and protecting jump shooters has been a priority. Not calling the foul there is inconsistent and an abuse of the incidental contact rule.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,685

Post#75 » by Peregrine01 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:02 pm

NBA reffing is just a plain joke. And its not due to incompetence.
NuWarriors
Lead Assistant
And1: 715

Post#76 » by NuWarriors » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
NuWarriors wrote:League has admitted that a foul should have been called on that 3 pointer. It was a foul. Not Curry creating the contact.

I would almost rather not know.....it's like when you walk in on the wife getting her oil checked by the neighbor.......it affirms what you thought, but now you want to punch Joey Crawford in the throat.

What Joey Crawford does with your wife is none of my business. ;)
matt3254
Bench Warmer
And1: 407

Post#77 » by matt3254 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Good ol' National Bullsheet Association.
The Realist
Starter
And1: 1,496

Post#78 » by The Realist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Just like NBA, its refs are horrible. What else is new?
meh
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#79 » by Mylie10 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Amen brother...what else is new.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#80 » by Jakay » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:19 am

The_ref wrote:
Jakay wrote:For sure they would have. It's entertainment guys, not life or death. I don't think the game is crooked, by it's obviously called with an exciting outcome in mind. If you don't get that, you're in for a bumpy ride.

Yes that´s the only possible solution. Refs can´t get a call right but in the instant of a second that they have to make a call, they have the ability to decide what will be the best possible outcome for the series and the NBA. Obviously.

Why aren´t the Pelicans players accused of the same thing? I mean how can you possibly rebound so poorly in the 4th quarter of a playoff game? Clearly the pelicans players rigged the game for the NBA. I mean if you don´t get that you´re in for a bumpy ride.

Seriously, you don't think there's a certain amount of bias in officiating? Making a call with the game on the line doesn't mean instantly recalling the entire history of the NBA, but if you don't think they're basically aware of where the game is, where the series is, and how their calls affect the game, you ain't even on the road.

It's so not black and white. You can't even call an NBA by the book, it would be awful.

Return to The General Board