How many superstar trades have benefited all teams involved?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Re: How many superstar trades have benefited all teams involved? 

Post#21 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu May 7, 2015 3:39 am

Mr Loggins wrote:Kevin Johnson for Larry Nance

Neither guy was a superstar at the time, and KJ was borderline even at his peak. Guess it depends on where you draw the line for "superstar".
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#22 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu May 7, 2015 3:41 am

RaptorsFTL wrote:
Angry Jimmy wrote:I'd say that the Chris Paul trade worked out pretty well for the Hornets/Pelicans.

Gordon, Kaman, Rivers, Aminu?

Davis was with their own pick.

Yes, but...Rivers! And Aminu. Also Kaman!
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#23 » by Mr Loggins » Thu May 7, 2015 3:45 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:Kevin Johnson for Larry Nance

Neither guy was a superstar at the time, and KJ was borderline even at his peak. Guess it depends on where you draw the line for "superstar".

Larry Nance was a 27yo who was coming off a 22-9-3 year and was averaging 21-10-3 when he got traded.

Kevin Johnson was the #7 pick in the draft.

Those two were easily as good/hyped - especially at the time they were traded - than most of the names on this list.

And prime KJ was, if not a superstar, as good as Melo or the Gasol's
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#24 » by Mr Loggins » Thu May 7, 2015 3:48 am

Also going to add Penny Hardaway for Webber, though I'm sure someone will claim as draft picks neither was a superstar yet
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#25 » by durka » Thu May 7, 2015 3:53 am

Shaq to MIami?

Obviously it didn't work out immediatly for the Lakers, but Odom did end up being the 3rd best player on their championship teams.
EntropyPR
Banned User
And1: 2,381

Post#26 » by EntropyPR » Thu May 7, 2015 5:17 am

dirkforpres wrote:Mavs and Nets- Kidd trade

Nets received a future all star in Devin Harris, expirings, 2 picks (which became Ryan Anderson and Jordan Crawford)
Mavs received Kidd, who won them a title

This is when writing correctly really helps. "Who HELPED them win a title". Way you wrote it seems like he did it all by himself. I seem to remember a certain 7-foot german, a red-hot 6th man, a pretty good defensive anchor at the 5 and a deep bench helping out with that title win.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

How many superstar trades have benefited all teams involved? 

Post#27 » by Mr B » Sat May 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Question for Lakers fans. Everyone knows the rumors about Rondo going to the Lakers but what would you guys think about a S&T that lands Rondo in LA.

Before you guys write this off I think it could actually help the Lakers (and the Mavs). The Lakers obviously have the cap room to sign Rondo without making a trade but I think I have a way for the Lakers to add Rondo while also gaining cap room at the same time.

The trade would have to involve a 3rd team. The Lakers could take on a resigned Rondo (2 yr deal with 2nd yr being a player option) - Lakers send a player/players to 3rd team (that is willing to trade a quality PG, like Detroit) - 3rd team send that PG to Dallas.

Lakers could then decline the option on Jordan Hill's contract (since they will be getting their center in the draft). The Lakers would be getting Rondo without dipping into any of their current cap space, and would then gain even more cap space by declining Hill's contract option.

I suggested this to a Laker fan on the Mavs board and he didn't see any way the Lakers would even consider this because it helps the Mavs. Just wanted to see what other Laker fans thought.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#28 » by TKainZero » Sat May 23, 2015 9:20 pm

PaU Gasol is not a NBA super star
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!

Return to The General Board