Okafor doesn't want to go to Wolves, may force his way to LA

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Re: Okafor doesn't want to go to Wolves, may force his way to LA 

Post#221 » by RSCD3_ » Fri May 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Okafor is from Chicago. He's used to crappy Midwest weather. Now the Lakers history vs. the Wolves history is a no-contest.

He's also used to really big cities like LA.
Minneapolis while not a backwater town would probably also seem small to him.
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#222 » by funkatron101 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:10 pm

RKL wrote:Los Angeles
New York
Paris
London

…Minnesota

Neat post, guy.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
C-Dub47
Junior
And1: 233

Post#223 » by C-Dub47 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:47 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Okafor is from Chicago. He's used to crappy Midwest weather. Now the Lakers history vs. the Wolves history is a no-contest.

He's also used to really big cities like LA.
Minneapolis while not a backwater town would probably also seem small to him.

Minneapolis isn't Chicago, LA, NY, etc. size, but it is very far from a small city. At least unless you believe everything that isn't LA/NY/Chicago is small.

Okafor has yet to come out and say anything like this. It's just BS reports coming from no real legit sources that have inside info of what their saying. Obviously, for a 19 year old kid, they probably would rather be in LA where all the glamour is than a different but also nice city in Minneapolis. That's fine, I'd expect most people would enjoy a place like LA if they could afford it, but let's not sit here and act like Minneapolis is some dump. If you say this, than you obviously have never been there nor have ever seen everything it has to offer. It isn't in that LA/NY/Chicago echelon, but it's definitely right around that next tier.
Duke4life831 wrote:Winslow > Wiggins
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#224 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Wiggins and Bennett to the Lakers for the number 2 pick. Wolves can have the next twin towers of Towns and Okafor. Team them with Zach Lavine and a couple shooters that team would kick everyone's butt in a few years
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#225 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat May 23, 2015 5:06 pm

getitdone323 wrote:I think most people who want to live in minnesota are probably white or have never been to LA/OC.

No i am not being racist, but I dont know any "colored person" that would be prefer to live in the midwest over LA. If you really think a black athlete would spend his winters in Minnesota over LA you are also not well traveled.

If a player doesnt want to live in LA and deal with the traffic, just buy a helicopter like Kobe so he can live in orange county. (Yes, I know the player would need to establish him self financially first)

Also, before some people start labeling this as a racist post or whatever, I am saying this with a young black athlete in mind. LA has better weather, homes, WOMAN (dont you dare say Minnesota has better looking woman). At the end of the day, the Lakers are the Lakers, even with these last 2 seasons they still bring in the most money for the NBA.

Obviously for normal people like us, livign in minnesota maybe a better idea based on interest, financial situations (california is not cheap and has high income tax), but for a first time professional athlete making millions its a no-brainier to choose LA

Actually, I challenge anyone to go find 10 random people at a mall in any state other than minnesota and ask them if they can name the NBA team in minnesota, no more than 3 will be able to.

LOL. So you're saying that this is not a racist post, and then you're not naming a single reason why it is not racist?

The deductive conclusion from your post is: a young black athlete in your mind likes better weather, homes and woman more than a young white athlete does. According to you, a white young athlete is a "normal" man whose goals are his material interests and financial "situations", implying that whites are generally more calculated, smarter, more mature etc. You see, that's something called a prejudice and a generalization, and racism is based on prejudice and generalizations.

Look at KG, for example. A young black HS kid who came into the nba, ended up in Minnesota and loved it so much that he wanted to stay after so many years, and even kept his house and spent most of his summers there. So much about your extremely ignorant theories.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager

Post#226 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Minnesota is nothing like Chicago. And Minnesota's weather is more severe
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#227 » by claudio-br » Sat May 23, 2015 5:29 pm

New York
Paris
London

…Minnesota

are you insane?

Spoiler:
i`d put London over Paris all day
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#228 » by Merc_Porto » Sat May 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Good.
I want Towns.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#229 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat May 23, 2015 5:42 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
getitdone323 wrote:I think most people who want to live in minnesota are probably white or have never been to LA/OC.

No i am not being racist, but I dont know any "colored person" that would be prefer to live in the midwest over LA. If you really think a black athlete would spend his winters in Minnesota over LA you are also not well traveled.

If a player doesnt want to live in LA and deal with the traffic, just buy a helicopter like Kobe so he can live in orange county. (Yes, I know the player would need to establish him self financially first)

Also, before some people start labeling this as a racist post or whatever, I am saying this with a young black athlete in mind. LA has better weather, homes, WOMAN (dont you dare say Minnesota has better looking woman). At the end of the day, the Lakers are the Lakers, even with these last 2 seasons they still bring in the most money for the NBA.

Obviously for normal people like us, livign in minnesota maybe a better idea based on interest, financial situations (california is not cheap and has high income tax), but for a first time professional athlete making millions its a no-brainier to choose LA

Actually, I challenge anyone to go find 10 random people at a mall in any state other than minnesota and ask them if they can name the NBA team in minnesota, no more than 3 will be able to.

LOL. So you're saying that this is not a racist post, and then you're not naming a single reason why it is not racist?

The deductive conclusion from your post is: a young black athlete in your mind likes better weather, homes and woman more than a young white athlete does. According to you, a white young athlete is a "normal" man whose goals are his material interests and financial "situations", implying that whites are generally more calculated, smarter, more mature etc. You see, that's something called a prejudice and a generalization, and racism is based on prejudice and generalizations.

Look at KG, for example. A young black HS kid who came into the nba, ended up in Minnesota and loved it so much that he wanted to stay after so many years, and even kept his house and spent most of his summers there. So much about your extremely ignorant theories.

I don't think its ignorant or racist, maybe not elegantly stated but just a person stating his views that are relatively true. Even your exception KG has a mansion in LA where he spends his summers.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#230 » by hsb » Sat May 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Doesn't really matter, being picked number one gives you free publicity for a lifetime. Ask fans the first thing they remember about Michael Olowokandi.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
C-Dub47
Junior
And1: 233

Post#231 » by C-Dub47 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:01 pm

DarthDiggler69 wrote:

Umm, no. Chicago is not much different from Minneapolis in the winter months. Minneapolis may be just a bit colder on average, but it's not enough to make much of a difference. From what I just saw, they had a lot more snow than Minneapolis this year as well by a decent amount.
Duke4life831 wrote:Winslow > Wiggins
Star-Lord
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#232 » by Star-Lord » Sat May 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Minneapolis and Chicago both become frozen tundras during the winter months.

I spent time in St. Paul for work a couple of years back. The twin cities seem like a very nice place, and I wouldn't mind visiting again sometime. People from the area probably shouldn't waste time getting bent out of shape when a kid who will be working in the entertainment industry may (operative word here) prefer to live and work in Los Angeles as opposed to Minneapolis. To do so ignores logic.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#233 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat May 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

I don't think its ignorant or racist, maybe not elegantly stated but just a person stating his views that are relatively true. Even your exception KG has a mansion in LA where he spends his summers.

How is it not ignorant or racist? This is exactly why some people are denying there is racism in the US: they don't even understand what racism is.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,247

Post#234 » by sfernald » Sat May 23, 2015 6:10 pm

John Long wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:
John Long wrote:
I for one think Okafor will be better than Towns, we crap on his defense but Towns is not that much better defensively either. Towns bites on every fakes, he fouled out 6 times in college and had trouble staying on the floor because of foul trouble. He tries to block everything which is good but dumb at the same time like Javele McGee. Okafor has a higher basketball IQ and has lost a lot of weight to improve his lateral quickness.

Are you saying this because the Lakers are going to, in all likelihood, pick Okafor? Don't get me wrong, I hope that what you wrote about Okafor is true, but I'd say that Towns didn't have to worry about fouling out with all of the depth that Kentucky had.

No I'm saying this because I've scouted both players. Jahlil Okafor is the better player and safer pick. Towns has a more versatile skill set so he has a much more higher ceiling, which makes his bust rate high as well. He lacks physical toughness, shies away from contact, and would rather take contested fade way shots than to attack the basket, similar to Lamarcus Aldridge who is a great player in his own right.

I agree. Okafor has the best chance of becoming a superstar. KAT is a poor poor man's version of AD. He'll be a great player but not a top 10-15 player someday. If you have the first pick you have to shoot for the moon, not settle for a really good role player. Okafor was double teamed his entire college career. Think about that. He still dominated. No reason that won't happen in the pros. He already has a better post game than 95% of the players in the league.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#235 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat May 23, 2015 6:13 pm

CCIIIs Hair wrote:Minneapolis and Chicago both become frozen tundras during the winter months.

I spent time in St. Paul for work a couple of years back. The twin cities seem like a very nice place, and I wouldn't mind visiting again sometime. People from the area probably shouldn't waste time getting bent out of shape when a kid who will be working in the entertainment industry may (operative word here) prefer to live and work in Los Angeles as opposed to Minneapolis. To do so ignores logic.

You're on the road all the time during the winter anyway, you are driving your 200.000$ car with heating from a garage to a garage, you basically don't have to be outside in Minnesota at all as an NBA player. You can't compare any other job to the NBA athlete job.
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#236 » by doozyj » Sat May 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Did you just use the term "colored person"?...oh yeah you did...just checking.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#237 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat May 23, 2015 6:42 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

How is it not ignorant or racist? This is exactly why some people are denying there is racism in the US: they don't even understand what racism is.

Is it racist to say that most young black males would enjoy the big city over Minnesota? As a young black male, I think that is just quite frankly the truth. My friends would probably tell you the same. Are there some black males that would pick Minny over a big city? Absolutely, but I don't in anyway think that Minny over LA would be a popular opinion .

I think normal people he was referring to is any middle age average Joe he didn't play sports with a family to consider rather than the "normal" white guy assumption.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#238 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat May 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:I don't think its ignorant or racist, maybe not elegantly stated but just a person stating his views that are relatively true. Even your exception KG has a mansion in LA where he spends his summers.

Is it racist to say that most young black males would enjoy the big city over Minnesota? As a young black male, I think that is just quite frankly the truth. My friends would probably tell you the same. Are there some black males that would pick Minny over a big city? Absolutely, but I don't in anyway think that Minny over LA would be a popular opinion .

I think normal people he was referring to is any middle age average Joe he didn't play sports with a family to consider rather than the "normal" white guy assumption.

The issue is that he's putting emphasis on "black", "colored". It wouldn't be racist if he said "young people" because I bet young white males would prefer LA as much as young black males would.

The exact problem in the whole story is that both of you see "young and black" as a category instead of just "young".
DarthDiggler69
General Manager

Post#239 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:53 pm

C-Dub47 wrote:
DarthDiggler69 wrote:

Umm, no. Chicago is not much different from Minneapolis in the winter months. Minneapolis may be just a bit colder on average, but it's not enough to make much of a difference. From what I just saw, they had a lot more snow than Minneapolis this year as well by a decent amount.

Chicago has way more things to do I mean, makes surviving winter there alot nicer
RKL
Junior
And1: 78

Post#240 » by RKL » Sat May 23, 2015 7:16 pm

funkatron101 wrote:
New York
Paris
London

…Minnesota

Neat post, guy.