Jahlil Okafor's Height

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Re: Jahlil Okafor's Height 

Post#81 » by sixerswillrule » Fri May 22, 2015 6:23 pm

DrCoach wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
DrCoach wrote:They measure with shoes and without shoes, I dont get the arguement. NBA lists heights with shoes because it sounds better when their players are taller

Pretty much this.

Not everyone is listed in shoes, though. Paul is 6'1" in shoes. Wade is 6'5". Iguodala is 6'7". Durant is 6'10 or maybe even 6'11" since he probably grew. The listings are kind of random. Beasley is 6'8" in shoes and is for some reason listed at 6'10"...?

they arent really random, they just dont update them if the player grows like Durant, Paul George etc...

They also dont universally round up or down the same way

I wasn't really talking about growing, mainly the measurements from the combine. All of the guys above (minus Beasley) are listed at what they measured in without shoes. Most players are listed at in shoes but some are not. So yeah it's random.
JDizzel3000
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#82 » by JDizzel3000 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:26 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
jpengland wrote:I have yet to see a single argument (extreme or otherwise) that justifies the adding of a variable?

I'm glad that most people here have some sense.

Most people do. JDizzel seems to be the exception.

Height is height. I dont care how tall you are in shoes.

My Wealth of And 1's in this thread would disagree with that ...lmao

I also love that last quote.... Wellll uhhhhhh "height is height" uhhhhhhhh except when your in shoes ...."that's not height" lmao
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#83 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri May 22, 2015 6:34 pm

JDizzel3000 wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
I'm glad that most people here have some sense.

My Wealth of And 1's I'm this thread would disagree with that ...lmao

Intelligence and And1s aren't correlated...if anything I'd say the opposite is true. Keep thinking that though, Im glad you get your self worth from And1s.
JDizzel3000
Analyst

Post#84 » by JDizzel3000 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:42 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
JDizzel3000 wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

My Wealth of And 1's I'm this thread would disagree with that ...lmao

Intelligence and And1s aren't correlated...if anything I'd say the opposite is true. Keep thinking that though, Im glad you get your self worth from And1s.

And failed logic on top of failed logic doesn't make a good point lmao ...you usually won't win people over with gibberish ..sorry that more people see it my way you probably should piece together a better arguement little buddy

besides ....I don't get anything from and 1's aside from the opportunity to laugh at your failed logic ...such as the beauty posted below

"Height is height" .....errrrrrr unless your in shoes ...errrrrr "then that's not height"....lmao
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#85 » by Unbreakable99 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:42 pm

The people who say the real height is with shoes have no common sense. It's laughable. Just stop. Real height is barefoot.
JDizzel3000
Analyst

Post#86 » by JDizzel3000 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:The people who say the real height is with shoes have no common sense.It's laughable. Just stop. Real height is barefoot.

True
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#87 » by MaxRider » Fri May 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:The people who say the real height is with shoes have no common sense. It's laughable. Just stop. Real height is barefoot.

yup
true height is the height they measure you when you visit your doctor
unfortunately in basketball they don't display your real height
JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#88 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri May 22, 2015 7:05 pm

JDizzel3000 wrote:
And failed logic on top of failed logic doesn't make a good point lmao ...you usually won't win people over with gibberish ..sorry that more people see it my way you probably should piece together a better arguement little buddy

besides ....I don't get anything from and 1's aside from the opportunity to laugh at your failed logic ...such as the beauty posted below

"Height is height" .....errrrrrr unless your in shoes ...errrrrr "then that's not height"....lmao

height
hīt/Submit
noun
1. the measurement from base to top or (of a standing person) from head to foot

"Lolz"
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#89 » by sixerswillrule » Fri May 22, 2015 7:10 pm

MaxRider wrote:true height is the height they measure you when you visit your doctor

They display it at the draft combine. So everyone knows the real height of players, the shoes part is just a waste of time really. Teams aren't stupid (well, some might make you think otherwise...), they see the height without shoes just like we do. It's not like Spencer Hawes showing up with platform shoes and getting listed at 7'1" as a result actually made a difference :lol:
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#90 » by sixerswillrule » Fri May 22, 2015 7:13 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:height
hīt/Submit
noun

"Lolz"

I let it go a while ago, feels much better!
JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#91 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:height
hīt/Submit
noun

"Lolz"

I let it go a while ago, feels much better!

:nod:
JDizzel3000
Analyst

Post#92 » by JDizzel3000 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:28 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
JDizzel3000 wrote:

height
hīt/Submit
noun
1. the measurement from base to topor (of a standing person) from head to foot

"Lolz"

Shoes aren't apart of your base while on the court now? :lol:

Lolz .....

When will the fails stop bro? Not only is your logic poverty ...your reading abilities have also lead you astray
MaxRider
RealGM

Post#93 » by MaxRider » Fri May 22, 2015 7:40 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
MaxRider wrote:true height is the height they measure you when you visit your doctor

They display it at the draft combine. So everyone knows the real height of players, the shoes part is just a waste of time really. Teams aren't stupid (well, some might make you think otherwise...), they see the height without shoes just like we do. It's not like Spencer Hawes showing up with platform shoes and getting listed at 7'1" as a result actually made a difference :lol:

i guess your doctor didn't use the auto height measurement thing on you
you stand on the platform barefoot and the little device moving down till it hit your head and stop
people usually duck their head down a little when the device hit your head (there is some force to push your head down when you're not prepare for it)
i lost an inch in my height measurement because of that lol
i use this height for my driver license
i have people look at my license and look at me and say i look taller
i just say it's the shoes

the thing is they can pick whatever height they want people to see
agent may want them to list their height taller if they are center
Tarik Black predraft measurement show he is 6'8.5" w/ shoes
but his NBA profile page listed him as 6'11" (do you think he grew 2 inches after the draft?)
when he was with the Rockets early this season he is about the same height as Ariza
6'9" center Dwight Howard don't look as good on paper as 6'11"
Garnett is 7' but he doesn't want people to think him as a 7 footer is not playing center so he kept is at 6'11"

not everyone attend the draft combine
Towns didn't this year
in the past LeBron didn't either
MaxRider
RealGM

Post#94 » by MaxRider » Fri May 22, 2015 7:42 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
JDizzel3000 wrote:

height
hīt/Submit
noun

"Lolz"

i think Iman Shumpert is 6'7"
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#95 » by Joseph17 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:58 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
devinbrady wrote:
frozt wrote:Okafor is starting to impress me the more I watch him and his film. I mean look at the hands on this guy...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SSpakeESPN/status/584499399763562497[/tweet]

When I watched him he seemed to dominate smaller players but rely struggled against size. Are you seeing that on film?

It takes time for some big men to learn how to use their size. Bynum was getting blocked by 6'7" PF's when he was a rookie in Summer League, and he's one of the longest players I've ever seen. Even Lebron took a couple years before he realized how to use his strength over smaller players. We're talking about teenagers here.

Exactly. Okafor seems like a much better prospect to me. Longer wingspan, probably taller, and much more skilled. Towns will be better on defense because of his lateral quickness and he's a better shooter, but that's about it. I can't see Towns being a better offensive player than Okafor.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#96 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 22, 2015 9:59 pm

It's 2015 and we have a 5 page thread talking about height? Height is irrelevant. Length is what matters. I thought this was common knowledge by now.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#97 » by sixerswillrule » Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 pm

MaxRider wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

i guess your doctor didn't use the auto height measurement thing on you
you stand on the platform barefoot and the little device moving down till it hit your head and stop
people usually duck their head down a little when the device hit your head (there is some force to push your head down when you're not prepare for it)
i lost an inch in my height measurement because of that lol
i use this height for my driver license
i have people look at my license and look at me and say i look taller
i just say it's the shoes

the thing is they can pick whatever height they want people to see
agent may want them to list their height taller if they are center
Tarik Black predraft measurement show he is 6'8.5" w/ shoes
but his NBA profile page listed him as 6'11" (do you think he grew 2 inches after the draft?)
when he was with the Rockets early this season he is about the same height as Ariza
6'9" center Dwight Howard don't look as good on paper as 6'11"
Garnett is 7' but he doesn't want people to think him as a 7 footer is not playing center so he kept is at 6'11"

not everyone attend the draft combine
Towns didn't this year
in the past LeBron didn't either

I wasn't talking about the listed heights. I was just saying that the heights without shoes are out there so everyone knows it.
carl_english
General Manager
And1: 3,140

Post#98 » by carl_english » Fri May 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Having greater height allows you to block the view of the person you are guarding somewhat.
Scubetrolis
Senior
And1: 235

Post#99 » by Scubetrolis » Sat May 23, 2015 12:10 am

Height is not irrelevant, length just may be more important. It harder to see over someone who is 7 Feet, than someone who is 6'10.

NBA should only post height and weight without shoes, and update it every year after training camp.

the doctor measures and weighs me every time I go in, and it takes all of about 2 seconds.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#100 » by Quentin » Sat May 23, 2015 12:18 am

Scubetrolis wrote:Height is not irrelevant, length just may be more important. It harder to see over someone who is 7 Feet, than someone who is 6'10.

NBA should only post height and weight without shoes, and update it every year after training camp.

the doctor measures and weighs me every time I go in, and it takes all of about 2 seconds.

Does he ask you to cough while he's measuring you?
I hang out here and mnrubecentral

Return to The General Board