David Blatt is a good coach, incredible underrated

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Re: David Blatt is a good coach, incredible underrated 

Post#41 » by TimRobbins » Sat May 23, 2015 9:41 am

Manute Lol wrote:We'll see what happens when the Cavs face an actual offense.

Hawks don't have a real offense? Then how did they get 124 vs.the Warriors?
TimRobbins
General Manager

Post#42 » by TimRobbins » Sat May 23, 2015 9:42 am

ChosunX wrote:Of course not, Lebron iso can only refer at the offense.

So who gets the credit for the Cavs defense?
TimRobbins
General Manager

Post#43 » by TimRobbins » Sat May 23, 2015 9:43 am

UcanUwill wrote:His defense was always underrated IMO. He really knows how to use smart defenders. Just look back when he coached Russia, he just knew where to put and how to use Kirilenko or even Khryapa, he did it so well. I think hes really good at recognizing opponent offensive strengths, and put a plan to shut it down. His teams were never a defensive juggernauts, but he knows how to coach D when it counts.

Perfect post.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#44 » by ChosunX » Sat May 23, 2015 9:45 am

TimRobbins wrote:
ChosunX wrote:Of course not, Lebron iso can only refer at the offense.

So who gets the credit for the Cavs defense?

Blatt, i love the guy.

viewtopic.php?t=1369781
Goon
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,332

Post#45 » by Goon » Sat May 23, 2015 9:56 am

Hydroponic3385 wrote:Blatt was never known overseas as an offensive genius first. He was known as a defensive genius, and a guy who adjusts his offensive schemes according to his team's talents. The U.S. media incorrectly pegged him as an offensive guru, and incorrectly pegged his offense is "Princeton offense", and therefore most fans have a false idea of who he is as a coach.

The guy gets little to no credit for the amazing job he's done this season, particularly during the playoffs. Taking this decimated team and transforming them into a defensive beast and putting all the roleplayers in a great position to excel? Just awesome. Not to mention the fact that he's outcoached all the media darlings these playoffs (Stevens, Thibs, Budenholzer). If (*if*) the Cavs face the Warriors in the finals, he'll get a shot to complete the coach-media-darling tour with COY Steve Kerr.

Blatt, the entire coaching staff, and the guys on the floor all deserve close to equal credit IMO.

UcanUwill wrote:His defense was always underrated IMO. He really knows how to use smart defenders. Just look back when he coached Russia, he just knew where to put and how to use Kirilenko or even Khryapa, he did it so well. I think hes really good at recognizing opponent offensive strengths, and put a plan to shut it down. His teams were never a defensive juggernauts, but he knows how to coach D when it counts.

Could not agree more with these two comments. As someone who has watched a lot of Euroleague and internationall ball in the last 15 years, I knew Blatt was one of the best coaches in the world. Coming to the NBA just confirmed it and it was absolutely disgusting how he was greeted by a lot of fans and media as some "euro trash" that can only fail. Blatt has a brilliant basketball mind and is still going completely under the radar on what he's doing out there. When all is well its all LeBron, when it's not it's the "rookie" head coach that's to blame, he's still learning some say or whatever haha, cracks me up every time. And even if he was fired for whatever reason, teams would be lining up for him.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,721

Post#46 » by naabzor » Sat May 23, 2015 10:27 am

We are talking about one of the best coach on the planet... of courde he is good... never thought he was bad.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#47 » by tribulations » Sat May 23, 2015 11:22 am

my god the fickleness of these boards, look at all these plastic blatt fans.

love to see someone bump some old blatt threads saying the exact opposite
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,668

Post#48 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat May 23, 2015 11:23 am

He is not a good coach. He is an all-time great coach, and was one before coaching a single game in the NBA.
Rangure
Freshman
And1: 161

Post#49 » by Rangure » Sat May 23, 2015 11:29 am

tribulations wrote:my god the fickleness of these boards, look at all these plastic blatt fans.

Hey, I was a Blatt fan before he came to the NBA /hipster

seriously though, Blatt is a very good coach and I've been fascinated by the way cavs are playing defense these playoffs. I don't think they're going to beat GSW but it will be a great series.

Blatt haters probably think there aren't any good coaches outside the USA. At some point the league is going to expand its frontiers when looking to add staff personal, not only players. Surely there were similar reaction when overseas players started coming into the NBA. Open your mind, this is great for the league, much better than recycling mediocre coaches which was the norm a few years ago. Now front offices are acting with an open mind and getting great results with apparently risky "NBA rookie coaches" like Blatt, Stevens, Kerr and so on.
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#50 » by ChosunX » Sat May 23, 2015 11:37 am

tribulations wrote:my god the fickleness of these boards, look at all these plastic blatt fans.

The Internet needs more negativity created out of thin air. Feed the beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#51 » by wilt » Sat May 23, 2015 11:38 am

As for offense, its not like the Cavs never do smart stuff. For example that Lebron/Dellavedova Pick and Pop against the Bulls.

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#52 » by ChosunX » Sat May 23, 2015 11:39 am

Rangure wrote:

Hey, I was a Blatt fan before he came to the NBA /hipster

seriously though, Blatt is a very good coach and I've been fascinated by the way cavs are playing defense these playoffs. I don't think they're going to beat GSW but it will be a great series.

Blatt haters probably think there aren't any good coaches outside the USA. At some point the league is going to expand its frontiers when looking to add staff personal, not only players. Surely there were similar reaction when overseas players started coming into the NBA. Open your mind, this is great for the league, much better than recycling mediocre coaches which was the norm a few years ago. Now front offices are acting with an open mind and getting great results with apparently risky "NBA rookie coaches" like Blatt, Stevens, Kerr and so on.

America is a melting pot. We should be more open to admit there are great things happening elsewhere and consume more culture from other places.
KazuoOda
Rookie
And1: 1,306

Post#53 » by KazuoOda » Sat May 23, 2015 11:52 am

Boston was Boston.
But Chicago was supposed to have weapons from every where on the court, when the Cavs shut then down, it turned into, "Oh, it's just the bulls, their offense sucks."
The same was said about the Hawks....
At some point, some of you need to give the Cavs and Blatt props for their D.
Hydroponic3385
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#54 » by Hydroponic3385 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Find one post where I say "the exact opposite."
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#55 » by crazy_me_87 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:32 pm

KazuoOda wrote:Boston was Boston.
But Chicago was supposed to have weapons from every where on the court, when the Cavs shut then down, it turned into, "Oh, it's just the bulls, their offense sucks."
The same was said about the Hawks....
At some point, some of you need to give the Cavs and Blatt props for their D.

They will realise it if the Cavs shut down the Warriors... i know thats an bigger "If" but hell who thought they would beat up the Bulls pretty "easily" after the Love injury and Pretty easily win both!!! first games in ATL... im not betting against those Cavs anymore...

they defy odds... that at least they have proven so far.. they dont care what everybody thinks.. If thats enough to overcome the warriors.. i dont know.. but its not as impossible as people said when Love went down.

The Cavs have a fair shot at the ring.

And Blatt has a fair share of that... as i thought he is brilliant come playoff time.
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#56 » by ChosunX » Sat May 23, 2015 12:35 pm

Hydroponic3385 wrote:

Do the same for me.
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#57 » by cw3k » Sat May 23, 2015 1:04 pm

BigtimeNBAfan wrote:He is a great coach. Lebron is the best player in the game, but give me a break, Blatt has now put together shut down defenses in back to back rounds against good teams. For all the coach hating on this site, people should also give credit when a team does well.

Some of this board users are unbelievable. If they think all they need is great players, then all teams need just from some version of big 3 and hire Byron Scott type of coach, and instant, championship year after year.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#58 » by mg » Sat May 23, 2015 1:15 pm

The Cavs went from an offensive minded team with a healthy Love/Irving to a defensive oriented team after the injuries. The transition happened between the end of the Boston series and the beginning of the Bulls series. Yes LeBron is a GOAT and their role players have stepped up but credit must be given to Blatt and their entire coaching staff too. It's pretty rare to see a team change their entire philosophy in the middle of the playoffs with such success. It's pretty rare too that young guys with little/no playoff experience such as T.Thompson, Delly, Shumpert have stepped up on such a big stage.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,225

Post#59 » by EArl » Sat May 23, 2015 1:22 pm

op misspelled lebron James in the title.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Goon
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,332

Post#60 » by Goon » Sat May 23, 2015 1:26 pm

ChosunX wrote:
Hydroponic3385 wrote:

Do the same for me.

Tribulations posted such a generic reply that I wouldn't bother with him.

Return to The General Board