A ECF & WCF Sweep Would the First Occurrence Since ABA & NBA Merger in '76

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

A ECF & WCF Sweep Would the First Occurrence Since ABA & NBA Merger in '76 

Post#1 » by laploutocratie » Sun May 24, 2015 3:27 am

It seems inevitable at this point. Is this just a testament to how dominant the two teams have been in their respective conferences?

Last time something like this happened was in 1957, with the Boston Celtics sweeping 3-0 in the Eastern Divisional Finals and the St. Louis Hawks sweeping 3-0 in the Western Divisional Finals.
☘ x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
fast-break
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,858

Re: A ECF & WCF Sweep Would the First Occurrence Since ABA & NBA Merger in '76 

Post#2 » by fast-break » Sun May 24, 2015 3:28 am

It's a testament to HOU/ATL being frauds.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#3 » by Takingbaconback » Sun May 24, 2015 3:31 am

fast-break wrote:It's a testament to HOU/ATL being frauds.

Wonder why there are so many "frauds" and meltdowns in the playoffs this year.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#4 » by D.Brasco » Sun May 24, 2015 3:32 am

Silly logic.

These are two teams who had great records and made it all the way to the conference finals. Was it dumb luck that they got that far? This is the NBA we're talking about not some bush league.

They just happen to be facing two teams who are just much better and probably terrible match-ups for them to be facing.
fast-break
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by fast-break » Sun May 24, 2015 3:35 am

D.Brasco wrote:

Silly logic.

These are two teams who had great records and made it all the way to the conference finals. Was it luck that they got that far? This is the Nba we're talking about not some bush league. They just happen to be facing two teams who are just much better and probably terrible match-ups for them to be facing.

No, it wasn't luck, but as you know, the regular season and playoffs are two different monsters. In the regular season, you play great, maybe you make an all-star game. In the playoffs, a title is on the line. Your level of play is supposed to elevate, not fall off a cliff. GS is obviously a great team, and the Cavs are fighters but what the Rockets and Atlanta are doing right now is outright shameful.
LeChosen One
Banned User
And1: 465

Post#6 » by LeChosen One » Sun May 24, 2015 3:35 am

Long live the second round.
Brooklyn_34
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#7 » by Brooklyn_34 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:38 am

I think it's more of a testament to the greatness of LBJ and how good Curry is....
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#8 » by Dtown84 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:44 am

I still feel, though I don't know how to justify it, that either Houston or Atlanta will win A game. Either Golden State relaxes after this one, or the Cav's get complacent....though yeah neither one of these is going past five without some more injuries.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#9 » by Optms » Sun May 24, 2015 3:45 am

D.Brasco wrote:

Silly logic.

These are two teams who had great records and made it all the way to the conference finals. Was it dumb luck that they got that far? This is the NBA we're talking about not some bush league.

They just happen to be facing two teams who are just much better and probably terrible match-ups for them to be facing.

Hawks played an underwhelming Nets team and then a Washington team where John Wall missed two games and played the rest of the series with a broken hand. But, even when Wall played, they seemed evenly matched with WSH. Every game was close and they never established themselves as the clear cut higher seed.

The Hawks are very much frauds and would have been swept by any of the Western teams, save for the Pelicans. They're extremely fortunate to play in such a trash conference where this wasn't more evident earlier.

As for Houston, I wouldn't classify the Rockets as fraudulent because not many had them this deep into the post season. Clippers were the real frauds of the Western conference. The Spurs, I feel like, should be reinstated just for the all time debauchery committed by the Clippers in the second round.
fast-break
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by fast-break » Sun May 24, 2015 3:51 am

Brooklyn_34 wrote:

I think it's more of a testament to the greatness of LBJ and how good Curry is....

Well of course, but even against the great ones you can put up a fight. Doesn't mean you'll win, but these past two games, both HOU and ATL have completely rolled over. Houston is all but done at this point, maybe ATL gets back to playing solid basketball in Game 3 but I doubt it. It's just especially disgraceful for ATL considering they came into the series with the 'advantage'. All their starters, Kyie injured/useless, Love out for the season. Sure injuries are piling up now,but that was in the process of getting their ass handed by a depleted roster. I think we all knew GS would take this series, but HOU put up a good fight in Games 1 and 2, only to go home and get blown out their own arena.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Re: Re: A ECF & WCF Sweep Would the First Occurrence Since ABA & NBA Merger in '76 

Post#11 » by NBAfan3024 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:01 am

Brooklyn_34 wrote:

this
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#12 » by kodo » Sun May 24, 2015 4:06 am

And both sweeping teams will have coaches with no NBA experience.

That seems unusual...I'm not sure if that's happened before.
DavidSterned
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,151

Post#13 » by DavidSterned » Sun May 24, 2015 4:11 am

fast-break wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:

Silly logic.

These are two teams who had great records and made it all the way to the conference finals. Was it luck that they got that far? This is the Nba we're talking about not some bush league. They just happen to be facing two teams who are just much better and probably terrible match-ups for them to be facing.

No, it wasn't luck, but as you know, the regular season and playoffs are two different monsters. In the regular season, you play great, maybe you make an all-star game. In the playoffs, a title is on the line. Your level of play is supposed to elevate, not fall off a cliff. GS is obviously a great team, and the Cavs are fighters but what the Rockets and Atlanta are doing right now is outright shameful.

How is it shameful?

In the case of the Rockets, nobody expected them to really get this far, and then they played two very competitive games on the road against a team they haven't beaten all year. The Warriors are just better than them, and are a bad matchup all the way.

Atlanta also is a surprise in the sense that everyone thought they were a treadmill group prior to November. They're a good but not great team that is lacking elite talent and getting exposed for it badly now that injuries are starting to peel their biggest strengths away.

The only full-scale meltdowns of the playoffs thus far has been with the Clippers, and to a lesser extent, the Bulls. The Rockets and Hawks have done about as well as anybody would have expected in preseason.
Brooklyn_34
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#14 » by Brooklyn_34 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:12 am

kodo wrote:And both sweeping teams will have coaches with no NBA experience.

That seems unusual...I'm not sure if that's happened before.

That's right....must be that "Curry" seasoning.
fast-break
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by fast-break » Sun May 24, 2015 4:26 am

DavidSterned wrote:
fast-break wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
Silly logic.

How is it shameful?

In the case of the Rockets, nobody expected them to really get this far, and then they played two very competitive games on the road against a team they haven't beaten all year. The Warriors are just better than them, and are a bad matchup all the way.

Atlanta also is a surprise in the sense that everyone thought they were a treadmill group prior to November. They're a good but not great team that is lacking elite talent and getting exposed for it badly now that injuries are starting to peel their biggest strengths away.

The only full-scale meltdowns of the playoffs thus far has been with the Clippers, and to a lesser extent, the Bulls. The Rockets and Hawks have done about as well as anybody would have expected in preseason.

ATL was already getting the business before the injuries, mind you, against a team with 2 of their 3 best players down & out. Let's not turn it around to them doing good just by making it to the ECF now, as though the Cavs were "supposed" to win.

Houston came back and won a series down 3-1 which is incredible, you don't expect that same team to follow up a 'must win' Game 3 at home getting blown out.

These are just not situations that I consider doing "as well as anyone expected". In the end though, neither team did I pick to 'win it all'. Not even when things were looking good.
Ax2SG
Bench Warmer
And1: 191

Post#16 » by Ax2SG » Sun May 24, 2015 4:29 am

Let me give Adam Silver a quick call to see if the playoffs format will be changed anytime soon.

...sorry, I was told he went to bed during GSW/HOU halftime.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#17 » by TimRobbins » Sun May 24, 2015 4:44 am

Ax2SG wrote:Let me give Adam Silver a quick call to see if the playoffs format will be changed anytime soon.

How would changing the format help? a weak team like Houston made it to the WFC.
TDotsfinest97
Banned User
And1: 5,953

Post#18 » by TDotsfinest97 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:46 am

Ax2SG wrote:Let me give Adam Silver a quick call to see if the playoffs format will be changed anytime soon.

Adam Silver is entirely responsible for injuries
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#19 » by Chuck Everett » Sun May 24, 2015 4:47 am

Circumstances are interesting. The Clippers choked in Game 6, but you have to give the Rockets credit for never quitting backing down. Atlanta, well, a lot of people believe had John Wall not broken his hand, they would have beaten the Hawks, and even with him having the problems he did, they were right there to steal the series.

To me the Hawks fate was sealed when the NYPD broke Thabo Sefolosha's leg. They are now without two of their top 3 wings and the third damn near blew out his ACL. Hawks are in good shape though, can't afford to stand-pat this offseason. Need to try to find either a legit big (like Koufus/Chandler) to protect the rim and try to find a legit scorer you can rely on.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#20 » by Kings2013 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:48 am

Disappointed in both the Rockets and Hawks

Return to The General Board