Do You Think Dwight Howard Regrets Choosing Rockets over Warriors?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Dasein
Senior
And1: 447

Post#1 » by Dasein » Sun May 24, 2015 5:27 am

Do you think he cares more about money or winning a title?

By joining the Warriors he would have had a better shot at winning a ring, but by joining Houston he could make more money because of the no income tax.

Would the Warriors even be better if Howard joined the Warriors? It would have resulted in the Warriors trading away Bogut.

In my opinion I think Howard knew that he would have a better chance of winning a title if he joined the Warriors, but he didn't want to turn down the extra money he could get by joining Houston.

And I don't even think he would be that much of an upgrade over Bogut.

What do you guys think?
HomegrownRebel wrote: I'd rather have John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Nene, and Paul Pierce than the Warriors team. And you can keep thinking Durant would come there. Very doubtful. He loves his hometown and area. Why would he want to live closer to fruitcakes?
XtotheDeezy
Veteran
And1: 1,790

Re: Do You Think Dwight Howard Regrets Not Choosing the Warriors Instead of Rockets? 

Post#2 » by XtotheDeezy » Sun May 24, 2015 5:29 am

If Dwight bought into the team concept of what the Warriors are doing, then it would've been a great fit.
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Re: Do You Think Dwight Howard Regrets Not Choosing the Warriors Instead of Rockets? 

Post#3 » by DoubleLintendre » Sun May 24, 2015 5:31 am

Any true competitor would at least have the thought cross his mind on the eve of a decisive sweep.

So no, I don't think Dwight has any regrets.
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Re: Do You Think Dwight Howard Regrets Choosing Rockets over Warriors? 

Post#4 » by KobeBryant24 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:34 am

Dwight prob would of messed up the chemistry
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#5 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sun May 24, 2015 5:36 am

KobeBryant24 wrote:Dwight prob would of messed up the chemistry

This...I cant think of a player that fits in the warriors culture and game worse than Dwight. He's a beast though so they would obviously still be very good...I just don't know if they would be this good.
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#6 » by ken6199 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:44 am

Dasein wrote:Do you think he cares more about money or winning a title?

By joining the Warriors he would have had a better shot at winning a ring, but by joining Houston he could make more money because of the no income tax.

Would the Warriors even be better if Howard joined the Warriors? It would have resulted in the Warriors trading away Bogut.

In my opinion I think Howard knew that he would have a better chance of winning a title if he joined the Warriors, but he didn't want to turn down the extra money he could get by joining Houston.

What do you guys think?

This kind of hindsight is just smh. Typical GM retrospective.

You make this thread a year ago, people laugh at you. Hey at the time Warriors was not really a consideration. Kerr didn't happen, people still have doubts on Curry's ankle, Bogut healthy concern. Harden was having an overall better year than Curry and already elevated his best SG status in the league.

It's also not like GSW can add Dwight by not losing anything. They need to pay Klay, Bogut, Lee, Iggy, Dwight, build a bench, that's mathematically very very hard.

You mentioned no income tax. You know that's only like 41 regular season games right? You pay tax in the city you play in game by game. And you think Dwight's agent won't tell him that, if he builds a better brand by winning, he got lot more endorsements in a better economic area, if warriors was the obvious better choice for him AT THAT TIME?

It's easy to create thread like this to poop on a team just had an embarrassing loss at home, on a player who is universally hated. I am not saying you are a hater, you just bit too obsessed with the hindsight game.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
B_BallReasons
Junior
And1: 161

Post#7 » by B_BallReasons » Sun May 24, 2015 5:48 am

Wasn't there a story that Dwight chose Houston because it would mean he pays less child support than if he lived in another state? Plus it's Texas. No state Taxes either.
Chris_SoCal
Sophomore
And1: 171

Post#8 » by Chris_SoCal » Sun May 24, 2015 5:49 am

Dwight howards Salary 22 million. Andrew Boguts Salary 14 Million.

The Warriors got lucky! Andrew gives the team all they need and at a discount. They got luck theere and not by trading for love!
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager

Post#9 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sun May 24, 2015 5:49 am

ken6199 wrote:

What do you guys think?

You make this thread a year ago, people laugh at you. Hey at the time Warriors was not really a consideration. Kerr didn't happen, people still have doubts on Curry's ankle, Bogut healthy concern. Harden was having an overall better year than Curry and already elevated his best SG status in the league.

It's also not like GSW can add Dwight by not losing anything. They need to pay Klay, Bogut, Lee, Iggy, Dwight, build a bench, that's mathematically very very hard.

You mentioned no income tax. You know that's only like 41 regular season games right? You pay tax in the city you play in game by game. And you think Dwight's agent won't tell him that, if he builds a better brand by winning, he got lot more endorsements in a better economic area, if warriors was the obvious better choice for him AT THAT TIME?

It's easy to create thread like this to poop on a team just had an embarrassing loss at home, on a player who is universally hated. I am not saying you are a hater, you just bit too obsessed with the hindsight game.

I agree with this post. At the time the Rockets were obviously the more desirable destination (and have been a pretty damn good team this year). I don't like Dwight but it would be unfair to say that he knew the Warriors would be this good.
Dasein
Senior

Post#10 » by Dasein » Sun May 24, 2015 5:52 am

ken6199 wrote:

What do you guys think?

-Warriors had a much better season and post-season and were CLEARLY the superior team
-Warriors were a 6th seed seed that beat the 3rd seed nuggets to advance to the second round.
-They would have beat the Spurs in the second round if not for injuries to Curry and Bogut and a massive meltdown in game 1 due to Mark Jackson being inept at coaching.
-Rockets were an 8th seed first round exit.
-Harden did NOT have a better season than Curry. I would easily take 23 PPG on 45% FG and 45% 3p over Harden's 25 PPG on 43% FG and 35% 3p
-Your just being a homer
HomegrownRebel wrote: I'd rather have John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Nene, and Paul Pierce than the Warriors team. And you can keep thinking Durant would come there. Very doubtful. He loves his hometown and area. Why would he want to live closer to fruitcakes?
Smirkin Dirk
Junior
And1: 736

Post#11 » by Smirkin Dirk » Sun May 24, 2015 5:56 am

ken6199 wrote:

You mentioned no income tax. You know that's only like 41 regular season games right? You pay tax in the city you play in game by game.

Huh?
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#12 » by ken6199 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:01 am

Dasein wrote:
ken6199 wrote:

What do you guys think?

Warriors were a 6th seed seed that beat the 3rd seed nuggets to advance to the second round. They would have beat the Spurs in the second round if not for injuries to Curry and Bogut and a massive meltdown in game 1 due to Mark Jackson being inept at coaching.
Rockets were an 8th seed first round exit. Warriors were CLEARLY the superior team.

I beg to differ.

It's not adding Dwight for nothing. Better team = current talent + salary situation + bunch of other considerations. Rockets were able to absorb Dwight's salary and still have salary flexibility, and on the brink of building a Beverly+Harden+Parsons+Bosh+Dwight team the very next summer. Harden-Howard was the best 1-2 punch (on paper) he could look for at that time, while Curry and Bogut had big injury concerns. Warriors at that time, had to shed a $30m salary AFTER the Dwight trade (Jefferson+Bedriens+???), which was a big unknown during Dwight's shopping period. All other four team had guaranteed salary space at that time plus after moves, only GSW was on pending salary dump.

I believe the priority was Houston > Dallas > Lakers > Atlanta > Warriors. It was really a no-brainer at that time.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Dasein
Senior

Post#13 » by Dasein » Sun May 24, 2015 6:02 am

wafer88 wrote:
ken6199 wrote:

What do you guys think?

I agree with this post. At the time the Rockets were obviously the more desirable destination (and have been a pretty damn good team this year). I don't like Dwight but it would be unfair to say that he knew the Warriors would be this good.

How were the Rockets the more desirable destination? Warriors were clearly the better team; they had a better season and post-season.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#14 » by Slava » Sun May 24, 2015 6:08 am

Dwight also wanted to be a post scorer, which kind of clashed with the way the Warriors play plus it would have required a sign & trade which the Lakers said they did not want any part of. Apart from that, no one knew Curry would turn into something this consistently good to grab an MVP. Howard isn't the best decision maker but its hard to fault him based on hindsight. In the end Morey just told him all the sweet nothings he wanted to hear to get his signature.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#15 » by MaxRider » Sun May 24, 2015 6:10 am

What do you guys think?

Warriors don't have cap space to sign Howard
it has to be sign and trade
you think Lakers will trade him to division rival without getting at least Thompson and Barnes in return?
DynastySS
General Manager
And1: 1,936

Post#16 » by DynastySS » Sun May 24, 2015 6:11 am

I was begging and pleading for him not to sign with the Warriors.

Dude is a mental midget.
omnificent wrote:The fact you doubt that Barnes is a better player than Green discredits anything you have to say about this team. You're either blind or don't watch Warriors games. Even the most delusional Green groupie wouldn't doubt that Barnes is the better player
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#17 » by ken6199 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:13 am

Dasein wrote:
ken6199 wrote:

What do you guys think?

-Warriors had a much better season and post-season and were CLEARLY the superior team
-Warriors were a 6th seed seed that beat the 3rd seed nuggets to advance to the second round.
-They would have beat the Spurs in the second round if not for injuries to Curry and Bogut and a massive meltdown in game 1 due to Mark Jackson being inept at coaching.
-Rockets were an 8th seed first round exit.
-Harden did NOT have a better season than Curry. I would easily take 23 PPG on 45% FG and 45% 3p over Harden's 25 PPG on 43% FG and 35% 3p
-Your just being a homer

blah blah blah, lots of excuses. what if what if, as soon as you brought this up I lose my remaining respect to your points.

Curry broke his ankle, Harden didn't, so yeah Harden had a better year. I would play with a healthy Bradly Beal rather than a Michael Jordan with ACL injury.

Shooting 45% from 3 is admirable but there are other very good shooters without a injury concerned ankle. Curry was paid $11m for a reason. Credit to Kerr for putting a system in to make him look a lot more lethal compared to Mark Jackson's - who I believe was the coach at that time.

Also your theory is as a FA, you always pick the higher seed when multiple teams are interested in you? No wonder Dwight didn't hire you as his agent.

Look at my other reply on the salary situation, and google 'CBA'.

Also I am not a homer. I am a die hard fan, sometimes very emotional, but no way I am a homer. Go look through my posts if you want. Create a poll if you want. I was just responding to your thread which I don't agree with.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager

Post#18 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sun May 24, 2015 6:15 am

Dasein wrote:
wafer88 wrote:
ken6199 wrote:This kind of hindsight is just smh. Typical GM retrospective.

How were the Rockets the more desirable destination? Warriors were clearly the better team; they had a better season and post-season.

The Warriors were definitely the better team. However the Rockets seemed to have more potential for growth. Klay was Just considered to be a good shooter, and Curry, despite having his breakout year, ended the season in a bad note with another ankle injury. David Lees contract was pretty bad also. I'm not going to act like they were the far more desirable destination, but at the time Harden seemed to give him another superstar to play with while GS had a pretty good team with many question marks. No one expected the Warriors to become this all time great team, and for Curry to become an all-time great, especially with the way he completely erased all concerns over his ankle. At the time, if I remember correctly,Curry was known to be an injury Prone player, while Harden was a sure thing rising superstar. That was probably the main deciding factor.
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#19 » by magicmerl » Sun May 24, 2015 6:20 am

I wonder why this thread wasn't made last year?
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#20 » by ken6199 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:24 am

Smirkin Dirk wrote:
ken6199 wrote:

You mentioned no income tax. You know that's only like 41 regular season games right? You pay tax in the city you play in game by game.

Huh?

Only paying New York state taxes on 41 games is better than 82 games, particularly when you consider that a few of those games will be played in states with no state income tax, such as Florida or Texas. Likewise, the benefit of no state income tax in Texas is reduced when you still have to travel out of state for many of your games.

Return to The General Board