What is worse: In the finals, 4 All-Stars being swept or the MVP runner-up being swept by the MVP?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

aoik
Freshman
And1: 13

What is worse: In the finals, 4 All-Stars being swept or the MVP runner-up being swept by the MVP? 

Post#1 » by aoik » Sun May 24, 2015 2:44 pm

The NBA ALL-Star Team had this year 4 Hawks players. And as a team they looked bad this Play-Offs and they will probably be swept in the finals.

And there were a time were people considered Harden as the MVP or at least many people thought he is a close 2nd place behind Curry.
But he got destroyed in the finals so far by the MVP. It is not even a close thing between those players.

So what is worse? 4 All-Star players being swept in the Conference Finals or the MVP runner-up being swept by the MVP in the Conference Finals?

(PS: English is not my first language)
Cleveland Cavs
Senior
And1: 118

Re: What is worse: In the finals, 4 All-Stars being swept or the MVP runner-up being swept by the MVP? 

Post#2 » by Cleveland Cavs » Sun May 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Hawks is worse..
Rockets should have won atleast 1 of those 2 games at Oracle.
4 all stars should atleast get you a close game which they havent been in this series.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Re: What is worse: In the finals, 4 All-Stars being swept or the MVP runner-up being swept by the MVP? 

Post#3 » by JazzUte88 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:49 pm

I'd usually say 4 All-Stars, but the East is a joke, and Korver hardly deserved being in it despite how good of a three point shooter he is.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#4 » by red96 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:13 pm

aoik wrote:The NBA ALL-Star Team had this year 4 Hawks players. And as a team they looked bad this Play-Offs and they will probably be swept in the finals.

And there were a time were people considered Harden as the MVP or at least many people thought he is a close 2nd place behind Curry.
But he got destroyed in the finals so far by the MVP. It is not even a close thing between those players.
Um no. Before game 3 Harden was outplaying Curry.

As for this topic, its all about context. The Warrios have been the best team in the league all year, has argueably the most depth in the league around Curry, while having a full and heathy roster. The MVP runner up never had any of those things all season, missing 2 starters to injuries this post season, and still played highly competitive ball in the 1st 2 games on the road.

The team with 4 all-stars was #1 in the East and is being handled at home, by a banged up Cavs team thats missing its 2nd and 3rd best players plus some.

Op‘s answer is pretty obvious imo.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#5 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun May 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Hawks by a mile.
The Rockets at least played two good games and Harden has been almost unstoppable in those 2 games. Plus, the Warriors are the better team, so it's not like the Rockets are playing down to their standards.
On the other hand the Hawks come from a 60-wins season and aren't even bothering Cleveland.
A number 1 seed shouldn't be swept by anyone.
They looked bad in the first and second round too, so they are very disappointing .
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#6 » by kaiballz » Sun May 24, 2015 4:11 pm

the hawks situation is worse, but steph still made james his biatch in game 3 hehe

james was unreal in 1 and 2 thou
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#7 » by improper » Sun May 24, 2015 4:17 pm

I think you have to take into account that the Cavs are without two of their best three players for this series, which just makes it more impressive how well they're playing. The Warriors, on the other hand, are basically completely healthy. They're the only team left in the playoffs that isn't missing at least one starter.

Their (potential) sweep of the Rockets would still be really impressive, but the Cavs (potentially) sweeping Atlanta without Kevin Love and without (or with a hobbled) Irving would just be more so.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#8 » by Thugger HBC » Sun May 24, 2015 4:26 pm

aoik wrote:The NBA ALL-Star Team had this year 4 Hawks players. And as a team they looked bad this Play-Offs and they will probably be swept in the finals.

So what is worse? 4 All-Star players being swept in the Conference Finals or the MVP runner-up being swept by the MVP in the Conference Finals?

You English is fine, it's your understanding of what you're seeing that may be suspect. GS is just the better team, but Harden played very well in games 1 and 2 and the Rockets were in position in be able to win either of those or both. Game 3 of course I have no explanation for.

The Hawks are now facing better teams every single game, that does expose a team to a degree. The Hawks are good, but not as good as perception would have them.

I also dont view all-star reserves as the same equivalent of starters, but thats a different dialogue altogether.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#9 » by mtron929 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:32 pm

improper wrote:I think you have to take into account that the Cavs are without two of their best three players for this series, which just makes it more impressive how well they're playing. The Warriors, on the other hand, are basically completely healthy. They're the only team left in the playoffs that isn't missing at least one starter.

Their (potential) sweep of the Rockets would still be really impressive, but the Cavs (potentially) sweeping Atlanta without Kevin Love and without (or with a hobbled) Irving would just be more so.

But this also tells us how bad the Hawks were. Remember, the Nets (one of the worst teams in the NBA this season) gave the Hawks a tough series.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,619

Post#10 » by DuckIII » Sun May 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Not making the conference finals is worse.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#11 » by TimRobbins » Sun May 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Seeing the 'coach of the year' completely dumbfounded and on the verge of tears in his on court interview says it all. Hawks were broken down into pieces by Lebron and a bunch of scrubs.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#12 » by improper » Sun May 24, 2015 4:47 pm

mtron929 wrote:
improper wrote:I think you have to take into account that the Cavs are without two of their best three players for this series, which just makes it more impressive how well they're playing. The Warriors, on the other hand, are basically completely healthy. They're the only team left in the playoffs that isn't missing at least one starter.

But this also tells us how bad the Hawks were. Remember, the Nets (one of the worst teams in the NBA this season) gave the Hawks a tough series.

I mean, the Hawks won sixty games. It seems a little ridiculous to call them bad.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#13 » by Mylie10 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:55 pm

TimRobbins wrote:Seeing the 'coach of the year' completely dumbfounded and on the verge of tears in his on court interview says it all. Hawks were broken down into pieces by Lebron and a bunch of scrubs.

Wait....now the rest of the Cavs are scrubs....ok...need to log that one. Cause you were touting one of the scrubs pretty heavily in another thread.

You a Cavs fan? Or a LeBron follower?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

Post#14 » by laploutocratie » Sun May 24, 2015 4:56 pm

They were only all stars because of delusional media-brainwashed voters. So Harden is the bigger embarrassment.
x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
fast-break
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,858

Post#15 » by fast-break » Sun May 24, 2015 4:58 pm

Cavs wasn't sposed' ta be here, and Warriors doing what they sposed' ta do.
BBgun
Analyst
And1: 1,210

Post#16 » by BBgun » Sun May 24, 2015 5:01 pm

It's worse for the Hawks. Golden State is the best team in the league by far at this point, with a fully healthy squad. 2 of the wins were at home, where they're nearly unbeatable.

The Hawks have lost both home games to a VERY depleted Cavs team that is essentially missing 2 of their big 3. Put it this way...I'm very surprised by what Cleveland has done in this series considering their circumstances...not really surprised about Golden State beating a team they're clearly more talented and deeper than. Plus, game 2 went down to the last seconds, so the series could be quite different if only one play had gone the other way. Cavs haven't even had to sweat so far.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#17 » by TimRobbins » Sun May 24, 2015 5:01 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Seeing the 'coach of the year' completely dumbfounded and on the verge of tears in his on court interview says it all. Hawks were broken down into pieces by Lebron and a bunch of scrubs.

Wait....now the rest of the Cavs are scrubs....ok...need to log that one. Cause you were touting one of the scrubs pretty heavily in another thread.

You a Cavs fan? Or a LeBron follower?

I'm neither. Don't care about the Cavs and pretty much hate Lebron.

Wasn't 'touting' anybody. There's not a single allstar playing on that team, nor anybody close to that.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#18 » by Mylie10 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Ok Tim..lol
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#19 » by inquisitive » Sun May 24, 2015 5:07 pm

CP3 wouldn't mind being swept in the finals right now...for sure
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Post#20 » by Tacoma » Sun May 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:

You English is fine, it's your understanding of what you're seeing that may be suspect. GS is just the better team, but Harden played very well in games 1 and 2 and the Rockets were in position in be able to win either of those or both. Game 3 of course I have no explanation for.

The Hawks are now facing better teams every single game, that does expose a team to a degree. The Hawks are good, but not as good as perception would have them...

The way the Hawks are playing, they have no business being in any Conference Finals but the East is that bad. I don't think the Cavs are playing well either. The way GSW is playing, they'd sweep the Cavs as well. I don't think the Cavs would beat Houston either.

Return to The General Board