DeAndre Jordan as a 'franchise player'

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

N8N
Rookie
And1: 236

Re: DeAndre Jordan as a 'franchise player' 

Post#141 » by N8N » Mon Jul 6, 2015 9:17 pm

LOL well as long as this discussion stays classy, it's all good.

1) DJ was never meant to be built around, but he will be one of the Dallas core moving forward.
2) Cuban is a good salesman, will pay, and take gambles.
3) MTV dislikes CP3 and DJ but he isn't saying anything too extreme here. Nothing to be too defensive about.
4) Clippers are still the better team on paper than Dallas.
5) Dallas success depends on the health of two starters, bench depth, and who we sign at PG.
6) Dallas offense will be fine in Carlisle's hands.
Credit to Dallas Mavericks mod Dirk for my avatar.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#142 » by enderwilson » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:29 pm

N8N wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
You and Martin get it and said just about everything I wanted to say.

The only think I can add is that DJ may still put up solid numbers but it will be because he is still being set up for lobs or getting put backs all game. If the Mavs try to dumb it down in the post and let him work they will be a lotto team. He has no post game, no foot work and is a horrible passer. I get Mavs fans want to defend the guy but he is not a franchise player. He wont go from being 4th or 5th options on the Clippers to the focal point of your offense. His rebounds will probably drop as well because is will be the only big in the paint for you so teams will box him out. He is a nice player to have just not for $20 million.

The Mavs will be running pick and rolls with DeAndre, like what they did with Tyson Chandler. There wont be much "dump the ball down to DeAndre".

As far as Jordan's rebounding numbers going down, that is crazy talk. Blake is a better rebounder than Dirk at this point in Dirk's career and Dirk doesnt care how many rebounds he gets. There is no way that Jordan's rebounding numbers will go down. Are you a betting man?

LOL piling on that, it feels like non-Dallas fans aren't familiar with our freestyle offense coming off of pick and roll/pop action. There aren't going to be a lot of dumping it low to DJ man and he will be the sole rebounder of the team like back when Marion was leading us in rebounding. He will get his rebounds. And he will get his points - just not in the way you guys think.

http://www.mavs.com/pick-your-poison-with-mavs-flow-offense/

Cool analysis. Big problem though. Monta is the one common denominator in each of these examples (that and the opponent was the Twolves), and he's gone. The key to any pick and pop strategy starts with the point guard. If Monta was still with the Mavs AND you got DAJ as the screener/roller, then I'm with you. At the moment you don't have the PG rotation to capitalize on this strategy. At least not to the degree where you're going to make a difference in the West.
N8N
Rookie
And1: 236

Post#143 » by N8N » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:06 pm

enderwilson wrote:
N8N wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
The Mavs will be running pick and rolls with DeAndre, like what they did with Tyson Chandler. There wont be much "dump the ball down to DeAndre".

As far as Jordan's rebounding numbers going down, that is crazy talk. Blake is a better rebounder than Dirk at this point in Dirk's career and Dirk doesnt care how many rebounds he gets. There is no way that Jordan's rebounding numbers will go down. Are you a betting man?

LOL piling on that, it feels like non-Dallas fans aren't familiar with our freestyle offense coming off of pick and roll/pop action. There aren't going to be a lot of dumping it low to DJ man and he will be the sole rebounder of the team like back when Marion was leading us in rebounding. He will get his rebounds. And he will get his points - just not in the way you guys think.

Cool analysis. Big problem though. Monta is the one common denominator in each of these examples (that and the opponent was the Twolves), and he's gone. The key to any pick and pop strategy starts with the point guard. If Monta was still with the Mavs AND you got DAJ as the screener/roller, then I'm with you. At the moment you don't have the PG rotation to capitalize on this strategy. At least not to the degree where you're going to make a difference in the West.

Actually it starts with penetration or the threat of one. We lost the most capable one in the team. I don't know if we'll be able to fill that hole with Lin. Cuban hinted this will be GM Parsons' job this year. It wasn't highlighted so much with Rondo and Monta on the team but Parsons will get his chance this year or whoever else they'll plug in at PG. Lawson is/was the pipedream but I'm not sure it's even possible right now. Someone else might better explain who we're targetting and who are likely to sign.
Credit to Dallas Mavericks mod Dirk for my avatar.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,485

Post#144 » by durden_tyler » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:10 pm

Just one issue:

4) Clippers are still the better team on paper than Dallas.

This could be true, but it could mean the Clippers could land in the 6th to 8th spots as well.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,068

Post#145 » by sisibilio » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:37 pm

Yoshun wrote:
bran muffin wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:Obviously there's some flexibility in the meaning of 'franchise player' but we all have a basic sense of what it means. Do you buy this idea, or think it's just part of stroking DJ and telling him what he wanted to hear? Just a ploy to play at his discomfort playing third fiddle to CP3/Blake? Would it even be possible to up his usage by, say, 10%?

The Dallas Mavericks will try to do for Deandre Jordan what the Orlando Magic did for Dwight Howard.

They'll surround him with 3-point shooters and run pick-n-roll all game long.

I hope not for their sake. He has no where near the post game Dwight has. He isn't a guy you want to run an offense through.

DJ doesn't have the bulk of Dwight to fight for position of course but he has developed a decent hook shot. Not enough to be your 1st option though.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
SlobbaN
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#146 » by SlobbaN » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:19 pm

I've been a fan since 02/03 and literally every summer I hear that we're not making the playoffs...
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#147 » by matt6715 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:22 pm

Cuban is a great salesman, all that this is.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,068

Post#148 » by og15 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:41 pm

Mavs2theFinals wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Mr B wrote:
So Blake will have to wait one more year before he can join DeAndre in Dallas.

Because Dallas has signed so many actual superstars lately, right?

LeBron = whiff
Bosh = whiff
Wade = whiff
D-Will (back when he was still considered a superstar) = whiff
Dwight = whiff
CP3 = whiff
Aldridge = whiff

Sure, Cuban's pitch works on glorified fourth options like DJ, Matthews, and Parsons who want to get paid and ass-kissed, but what makes you think the Mavs have a prayer of signing Blake considering recent history?

Lol saltiest clipper fan yet. Just about a month ago you were probably praising DJ

If there is one person who has disliked DJ for who knows how long and has wanted him gone, it is MTV, I don't even know if he's ever praised DJ, and if he has, it is praise while still insulting lol

sweet daddy wrote:Dallas fans would prolly be pretty happy with 10-11 pts, 13-14 rbs, 2 blocks and a 98 defensive rating out of their center for the next several years. Maybe somebody in the Mavs organization could work with him on free throw shooting. We're pretty simple thinkers down in Big D. That sounds like a pretty good center to us, prolly right at the top of the list of centers we've ever had. With the salary cap growing like a weed the next couple of yrs, we're not even too worried about that either. And we don't pay much attention to what Cuban says either. He's prone to say just about anything to get publicity. Nope, we're not all that unhappy about signing DJ down here. Hope we're right and you're wrong ...

Individual Drtg is a product of your teams defense and how well you defensive rebound, steal and block shots, that number is not a representation of the opposing teams Ortg when DJ is on the floor or anything like that. It isn't really an accurate measure of a players defensive abilities.

DJ was a solid enough defender, could have been better in a different defensive set-up, maybe not, but individual Drtg is not what tells us that.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Post#149 » by Dirk » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:44 pm

og15 wrote:
Mavs2theFinals wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Because Dallas has signed so many actual superstars lately, right?

LeBron = whiff
Bosh = whiff
Wade = whiff
D-Will (back when he was still considered a superstar) = whiff
Dwight = whiff
CP3 = whiff
Aldridge = whiff

Sure, Cuban's pitch works on glorified fourth options like DJ, Matthews, and Parsons who want to get paid and ass-kissed, but what makes you think the Mavs have a prayer of signing Blake considering recent history?

Lol saltiest clipper fan yet. Just about a month ago you were probably praising DJ

If there is one person who has disliked DJ for who knows how long and has wanted him gone, it is MTV, I don't even know if he's ever praised DJ, and if he has, it is praise while still insulting lol

MTV thinks Michael Olowokandi was better than DeAndre.
60/21/10
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,068

Post#150 » by og15 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:45 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
og15 wrote:
Mavs2theFinals wrote:

Like I said, if there is one person that does not like DJ, it is him, so nothing he's saying is coming out of being butt hurt that he left. I'm pretty sure he had a party to celebrate DJ leaving. He wasn't celebrating 4th of July, he was celebrating the exit of DeAndre Jordan.
SprintTMC
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#151 » by SprintTMC » Tue Jul 7, 2015 6:05 pm

Shaq put it best:

"If you locked Deandre Jordan in a gym overnight and told him he couldn't dunk you'd come back in the morning and he'd have 6 points."
joeyAdaMan
Analyst
And1: 2,145

Post#152 » by joeyAdaMan » Tue Jul 7, 2015 8:19 pm

i really don't see how you can spin this as a bad signing for the Mavs....at worst Deandre is a top 5 rebounder and defender at the center position....great athlete...strong/durable and still in his prime....any offense you get out of him is really a bonus....Cuban called him a franchise player to stroke his ego a bit and because as of right now he's obviously the best player they have with Dirk getting long in the tooth and declining as a rebounder/defender...a lot of sour grapes from Clips fans in here...he obviously benefited from playing with two great play-makers in LA...but he also masked some of Paul/Griffins weaknesses as well....this was a great signing and durable/talented 27 year old centers are always going to cost money...especially with this rising cap everyone won't stop talking about
Volcano wrote:Kobe must the best at everything. He's faster than Westbrook and stronger than Dwight. He's taller than Yao Ming and shorter than Earl Boykins. Nothing you say is going to change their minds.
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 934

Post#153 » by clippertown » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:08 pm

joeyAdaMan wrote:i really don't see how you can spin this as a bad signing for the Mavs....at worst Deandre is a top 5 rebounder and defender at the center position....great athlete...strong/durable and still in his prime....any offense you get out of him is really a bonus....Cuban called him a franchise player to stroke his ego a bit and because as of right now he's obviously the best player they have with Dirk getting long in the tooth and declining as a rebounder/defender...a lot of sour grapes from Clips fans in here...he obviously benefited from playing with two great play-makers in LA...but he also masked some of Paul/Griffins weaknesses as well....this was a great signing and durable/talented 27 year old centers are always going to cost money...especially with this rising cap everyone won't stop talking about

Your correct and many fans (including myself) have been salty. Its not that DJ is a bad player, its just that we have dealt with so much Clipper history, the loss of our starting center so late in free agency may have cost us our first real chance at redemption. We really don't care about losing DJ - that's probably a blessing in disguise. Its just the way we lost him that hurts. If only he had chosen a team that had a better chance of winning or a team that offered him more money. He did neither and he waited just long enough to cripple us on the way out. DJ has shown his true colors and it sucks for those that supported him for many years.

The salt will remain until DJ comes back to LA and we get to have our fun with him. It was the same for Elton Brand when he betrayed us. We are the Clippers.
ZB9
Sixth Man
And1: 696

Post#154 » by ZB9 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:25 pm

clippertown wrote:
joeyAdaMan wrote:i really don't see how you can spin this as a bad signing for the Mavs....at worst Deandre is a top 5 rebounder and defender at the center position....great athlete...strong/durable and still in his prime....any offense you get out of him is really a bonus....Cuban called him a franchise player to stroke his ego a bit and because as of right now he's obviously the best player they have with Dirk getting long in the tooth and declining as a rebounder/defender...a lot of sour grapes from Clips fans in here...he obviously benefited from playing with two great play-makers in LA...but he also masked some of Paul/Griffins weaknesses as well....this was a great signing and durable/talented 27 year old centers are always going to cost money...especially with this rising cap everyone won't stop talking about

If only he had chosen a team that had a better chance of winning

There aren't many franchises in the NBA that have shown a better ability to put together winning teams than this Dallas regime.

It's not only about next season. Jordan is 27 and he will have plenty of chances. The Mavs will have a lot of flexibility to add more marquee guys going forward and this Mavs' FO has shown that they will do whatever they can to field the best team possible. It's not like DeAndre went to the Hornets or the Magic.
Louie_Ruckuz
Bench Warmer
And1: 873

Post#155 » by Louie_Ruckuz » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:57 pm

SprintTMC wrote:Shaq put it best:

"If you locked Deandre Jordan in a gym overnight and told him he couldn't dunk you'd come back in the morning and he'd have 6 points."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We will see how good he is in Dallas :o
joeyAdaMan
Analyst

Post#156 » by joeyAdaMan » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:11 pm

clippertown wrote:

Your correct and many fans (including myself) have been salty. Its not that DJ is a bad player, its just that we have dealt with so much Clipper history, the loss of our starting center so late in free agency may have cost us our first real chance at redemption. We really don't care about losing DJ - that's probably a blessing in disguise. Its just the way we lost him that hurts. If only he had chosen a team that had a better chance of winning or a team that offered him more money. He did neither and he waited just long enough to cripple us on the way out. DJ has shown his true colors and it sucks for those that supported him for many years.

The salt will remain until DJ comes back to LA and we get to have our fun with him. It was the same for Elton Brand when he betrayed us. We are the Clippers.

i definitely feel sorry for Clips fans...i can understand the bitterness no doubt....if Blake/CP3 and Doc really sold out to get him to come back i think he would have...they definitely had a good thing going but he clearly wanted out of there and was not happy with his role or at the very least the way he was being treated in Clipper land....i definitely think the Clippers window is closed barring a big FA signing next off-season or a blockbuster trade which it doesn't appear they have the assets for....which sucks because that means they are either going to waste the rest of/the beginning of CP3/Blake's prime...i hope i'm wrong....but as you said...you guys are the Clippers :( ...definitely got screwed on this one....and with this alleged cap rise that's supposed to change the landscape of the NBA it's hard to argue that a 27 year old dominant rebounding/solid defending athletic/durable center isn't worth 20 mil or at least within that range..
Volcano wrote:Kobe must the best at everything. He's faster than Westbrook and stronger than Dwight. He's taller than Yao Ming and shorter than Earl Boykins. Nothing you say is going to change their minds.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#157 » by Mr B » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:16 pm

enderwilson wrote:
N8N wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

Monta wasn't the PG in Dallas
joeyAdaMan
Analyst

Post#158 » by joeyAdaMan » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:23 pm

i am definitely concerned with the wing talent in Dallas though...both Parsons and Matthews are likely to miss time this season right? i know Matthews has the Achilles and i heard someone mentioning Parsons potentially needing microfracture?...if that's the case the Mavs are going to need Jordan to show out and they still might just miss the playoffs out West....but if Dirk shows he's still a viable scorer and Deandre can come close to his previous seasons production.... that's not a bad spot for potential FA's next summer...this is a move that's likely going to pay off in 2-3 seasons as opposed to this upcoming season...this just keeps them at least somewhat competitive in one of Dirk's final seasons
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#159 » by Mr B » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:28 pm

og15 wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
og15 wrote:If there is one person who has disliked DJ for who knows how long and has wanted him gone, it is MTV, I don't even know if he's ever praised DJ, and if he has, it is praise while still insulting lol

Like I said, if there is one person that does not like DJ, it is him, so nothing he's saying is coming out of being butt hurt that he left. I'm pretty sure he had a party to celebrate DJ leaving. He wasn't celebrating 4th of July, he was celebrating the exit of DeAndre Jordan.

Well I can tell you one person that won't be celebrating, JJ Reddick. I don't know if you all heard his interview today but he's not happy the Clippers lost DJ.

SportsCenter (@SportsCenter)
7/7/15, 3:56 PM
JJ Redick's grade on Clippers offseason? "F... We had 1 priority this summer & that was to re-sign DJ." (via SiriusXM Bleacher Report Radio)
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,687

Post#160 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:31 pm

SlobbaN wrote:I've been a fan since 02/03 and literally every summer I hear that we're not making the playoffs...

not by anyone who knows what they are talking about. From 03-07 we were regarded righfully as one of the best teams in the league. From 08-11 we were regarded as a 2nd tier playoff team but definitely a playoff team. From 12 until current it's more than fair to call Dallas iffy to make the playoffs, but going back to 03 is just flat false.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to The General Board