Jahlil Okafor

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LameDuck
Senior
And1: 111

Re: Jahlil Okafor 

Post#81 » by LameDuck » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:16 am

Floor: Al Jefferson
Ceiling: DeMarcus Cousins
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#82 » by DirtyDez » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:18 am

Ben-N1ce wrote:
NBA Moses wrote:
AwkwardDuck wrote:Ceiling?

Tim Duncan

With better D.

And more titles.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
nrockwaychicago
Pro Prospect
And1: 719

Post#83 » by nrockwaychicago » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:20 am

eagereyez wrote:
PSUEagle wrote:
nrockwaychicago wrote:i wouldn't call jahlil a complete liability on defense. at the very least, he's a big body that guys won't want to meet in the paint. his footspeed is better than you'd think, i'm not so worried about him in the pick and roll. will he ever be a GREAT defender? i doubt it, but i think he'll be ok.

i don't see your point so much about slowing down the game. the best teams in the league tend to play at a slower pace; if you surround jahlil with shooters, i think he'll look like dwight in orlando, except with a more refined offensive game and better passing.

just one man's opinion. i hope i'm right! i'm a big fan of jahlil and i hope he kills it in the nba.

Trust me, I want you to be right even more than you do.

He's going to be a good to really good NBA player: I think even his biggest detractors would admit that. It's just hard to see him anchoring a real contender (I don't consider the Grizzlies a real contender: more like a cute little annoyance that has no shot against GSW/SAS/OKC). I could be wrong, but the rule changes have really devalued back the basket big men who aren't great defensive players.

I'll get **** for this, but I actually think Nerlens Noel will contribute more as a winning basketball player down the road. He does so much of the dirty work that won't show up on box scores (although his defensive stats are crazy already), not to mention that his ability to credibly switch on 1-5 is immensely valuable.

It all depends on how much Okafor can improve defensively. I mean Mark Gasol was not known for his defense when he first came into the league. Okafor definitely has all the tools necessary to become a defensive presence. The only question is does he have the drive to become one? He's pretty pudgy and slow, and looks uninterested in game. Makes me less optimistic he'll ever reach his full potential.

I actually know (second-hand) how hard Jahlil works. At least in high school. That's a big reason why I've had such high expectations for him. I used to work with his sister and had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times. He was just a laid back dude, and really humble. Didn't conduct himself how you'd probably expect a 17-year-old 7 foot NBA prospect to. Everything his sister told me leads me to think he's gonna work hard every day to be a great pro. Guy was either in the gym or the classroom back then, and he's got a lot of really supportive people behind him.
MCDubbin
Junior
And1: 547

Post#84 » by MCDubbin » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:23 am

I heard that he really didn't workout at Duke. It's not a good sign but hopefully he gets his ass in the gym and start working out.
Ring_Me
Rookie
And1: 584

Post#85 » by Ring_Me » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:29 am

So many skinny players that play the center position nowadays. I wanna see good o'l dominance under the basket.
"Do not go gentle into that good night." :starwars
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#86 » by eagereyez » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:36 am

nrockwaychicago wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
PSUEagle wrote:
Trust me, I want you to be right even more than you do.

He's going to be a good to really good NBA player: I think even his biggest detractors would admit that. It's just hard to see him anchoring a real contender (I don't consider the Grizzlies a real contender: more like a cute little annoyance that has no shot against GSW/SAS/OKC). I could be wrong, but the rule changes have really devalued back the basket big men who aren't great defensive players.

I'll get **** for this, but I actually think Nerlens Noel will contribute more as a winning basketball player down the road. He does so much of the dirty work that won't show up on box scores (although his defensive stats are crazy already), not to mention that his ability to credibly switch on 1-5 is immensely valuable.

It all depends on how much Okafor can improve defensively. I mean Mark Gasol was not known for his defense when he first came into the league. Okafor definitely has all the tools necessary to become a defensive presence. The only question is does he have the drive to become one? He's pretty pudgy and slow, and looks uninterested in game. Makes me less optimistic he'll ever reach his full potential.

I actually know (second-hand) how hard Jahlil works. At least in high school. That's a big reason why I've had such high expectations for him. I used to work with his sister and had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times. He was just a laid back dude, and really humble. Didn't conduct himself how you'd probably expect a 17-year-old 7 foot NBA prospect to. Everything his sister told me leads me to think he's gonna work hard every day to be a great pro. Guy was either in the gym or the classroom back then, and he's got a lot of really supportive people behind him.

If that's true, then I wonder why he's so pudgy and slow right now? Most guys coming out of college are super skinny and fast.
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#87 » by NBA Moses » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:36 am

Milbuck wrote:Do the people making the Duncan comparisons realize that Duncan was one of the greatest defensive players as well? Arguably even better on that end than offense. Right now for Okafor, being even a serviceable defender is an optimistic outlook. And offensively, while Duncan might not have been a chin at the rim freak athlete like a Blake Griffin or a Deandre Jordan, he was significantly more athletic than Okafor.

Jahlil Okafor freshman year . 17.5 Pts 9 rebounds ACC Player of Year. National Champion.First Time Ever A Freshman has won ACC Player of the Year.

Tim Duncan freshman year 9.5 Pt 9 Reb....................................................

Tim Duncan seems to have overachieved in historical fashion. Not saying Okafor will do the same but it wouldnt shock me if he did.
nrockwaychicago
Pro Prospect
And1: 719

Post#88 » by nrockwaychicago » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:49 am

eagereyez wrote:
nrockwaychicago wrote:
eagereyez wrote:It all depends on how much Okafor can improve defensively. I mean Mark Gasol was not known for his defense when he first came into the league. Okafor definitely has all the tools necessary to become a defensive presence. The only question is does he have the drive to become one? He's pretty pudgy and slow, and looks uninterested in game. Makes me less optimistic he'll ever reach his full potential.

If that's true, then I wonder why he's so pudgy and slow right now? Most guys coming out of college are super skinny and fast.

i dunno man i wasn't there shootin with him. being a big dude doesn't mean he's lazy and doesn't work hard. he could probably stand to cut a little weight, but i wouldn't call him pudgy. bet you'd call melo pudgy too
NoKneeBledsoe
Junior
And1: 92

Post#89 » by NoKneeBledsoe » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:11 am

He will be good but I think he is pretty soft!

The Centers in the league are going to terrorize him! I see rookie year 16 / 8 and eventually 20/10 but I wouldn't want him as a #1 on offense! You won't win like that! He will be a good #2 and hopefully can strengthen up and play some d
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#90 » by Kupchak9 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:11 am

"Gets most of his offense off of post ups, but is also a capable offensive rebounder, pick and pop man, and one-on-one player. Displays tremendous touch out to the free throw line. Quality catch and shoot player inside the arc. Possesses an especially effective turnaround jump shot when he has his back to the basket. Doesn’t let good defense change his stroke at all. Takes and makes a lot of contested midrange shots. Shows an effective hook shot when he goes away from his turnaround, allowing him to score over either shoulder. Knows how to use fakes to create openings. Very fundamentally sound down low. Incredibly effective in half court settings, which made him very attractive in free agency. Finishes at the rim effectively with both hands. Will dunk the ball when he can. Doesn’t get as many finishing opportunities as he used to. Has the strength to muscle his way inside, get and maintain position, and fight for offensive boards. Extremely good ball handler for his size. Can take his man off the dribble consistently due to his quickness advantage. Good passer out of double teams. Will turn the ball over strictly because of his usage, not his decision-making. Goes to the line at a decent clip and is a solid foul shooter."

Sounds exactly like Okafor but no...

This is Elton Brand, who had many of the same skillsets and physical tools as Okafor. The guy made an immediate impact his rookie year in Chicago, even averaging 20/10. I'm sure Okafor has a great shot of replicating similar success, let's just hope he stays healthy and lives to his potential as a top 15 player in the league.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Elton-Brand-1779/
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#91 » by eagereyez » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:21 am

nrockwaychicago wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
nrockwaychicago wrote:I actually know (second-hand) how hard Jahlil works. At least in high school. That's a big reason why I've had such high expectations for him. I used to work with his sister and had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times. He was just a laid back dude, and really humble. Didn't conduct himself how you'd probably expect a 17-year-old 7 foot NBA prospect to. Everything his sister told me leads me to think he's gonna work hard every day to be a great pro. Guy was either in the gym or the classroom back then, and he's got a lot of really supportive people behind him.

i dunno man i wasn't there shootin with him. being a big dude doesn't mean he's lazy and doesn't work hard. he could probably stand to cut a little weight, but i wouldn't call him pudgy. bet you'd call melo pudgy too

Yeah but Melo is actually a ridiculously explosive athlete. Okafor is just out of shape and slow.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#92 » by KF10 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:23 am

NBA Moses wrote:
Milbuck wrote:Do the people making the Duncan comparisons realize that Duncan was one of the greatest defensive players as well? Arguably even better on that end than offense. Right now for Okafor, being even a serviceable defender is an optimistic outlook. And offensively, while Duncan might not have been a chin at the rim freak athlete like a Blake Griffin or a Deandre Jordan, he was significantly more athletic than Okafor.

Jahlil Okafor freshman year . 17.5 Pts 9 rebounds ACC Player of Year. National Champion.First Time Ever A Freshman has won ACC Player of the Year.

Tim Duncan freshman year 9.5 Pt 9 Reb....................................................

Tim Duncan seems to have overachieved in historical fashion. Not saying Okafor will do the same but it wouldnt shock me if he did.

Duncan played his entire freshman season as a 17 years old teenager. While Okafor began his freshman season as a 18 year old and turned 19 in mid-season. 17 years old Duncan vs 19 years old Okafor against 18 to 21 year old competition.

Compare Duncan when he was 19 years old --> 19.1ppg - 12.3rpg - 2.9apg - 3.75 bpg

How is this even close.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,663

Post#93 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:29 am

NBA Moses wrote:

Duncan was also 18 during his entire freshman season, Okafor 19 for almost his entire freshman year.

Players usually make a big jump from 18 to 19. For example, Okafor is only 3 months younger than Aaron Gordon.
Atmanne
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#94 » by Atmanne » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:39 am

Kupchak9 wrote:"Gets most of his offense off of post ups, but is also a capable offensive rebounder, pick and pop man, and one-on-one player. Displays tremendous touch out to the free throw line. Quality catch and shoot player inside the arc. Possesses an especially effective turnaround jump shot when he has his back to the basket. Doesn’t let good defense change his stroke at all. Takes and makes a lot of contested midrange shots. Shows an effective hook shot when he goes away from his turnaround, allowing him to score over either shoulder. Knows how to use fakes to create openings. Very fundamentally sound down low. Incredibly effective in half court settings, which made him very attractive in free agency. Finishes at the rim effectively with both hands. Will dunk the ball when he can. Doesn’t get as many finishing opportunities as he used to. Has the strength to muscle his way inside, get and maintain position, and fight for offensive boards. Extremely good ball handler for his size. Can take his man off the dribble consistently due to his quickness advantage. Good passer out of double teams. Will turn the ball over strictly because of his usage, not his decision-making. Goes to the line at a decent clip and is a solid foul shooter."

Sounds exactly like Okafor but no...

This is Elton Brand, who had many of the same skillsets and physical tools as Okafor. The guy made an immediate impact his rookie year in Chicago, even averaging 20/10. I'm sure Okafor has a great shot of replicating similar success, let's just hope he stays healthy and lives to his potential as a top 15 player in the league.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Elton-Brand-1779/

The stuff about picking and popping, touch around the free throw line, and hitting contested mid-range shots didn't sound like Okafor at all.
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#95 » by jmnvcavs » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:40 am

He's not nearly the athlete Duncan was in his youth
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#96 » by koogiking » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:46 am

Dcebucks11 wrote:He'll get buckets, still have to see what seperates him from guys like Big Al and Monroe

His offensive skillset already looks more advanced than Monroe right now tbh. And hes quicker
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,400

Post#97 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:50 am

KF10 wrote:
NBA Moses wrote:

Duncan played his entire freshman season as a 17 years old teenager. While Okafor began his freshman season as a 18 year old and turned 19 in mid-season. 17 years old Duncan vs 19 years old Okafor against 18 to 21 year old competition.

Compare Duncan when he was 19 years old --> 19.1ppg - 12.3rpg - 2.9apg - 3.75 bpg

How is this even close.

Duncan had already been exposed to the college game for 2 years at the age of 19 though. That makes a difference. Compare their organized basketball histories at the same stages and not ages. Meaning when Duncan was a senior in high school, or a freshman in college, or an NBA rookie. Because I don't know how on earth you can compare a 17 year old Okafor playing in high school to a 17 year old freshman playing in college. The level of coaching, facilities, and teammates in the high school game can't in no way compare to the college game.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,225

Post#98 » by EArl » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:57 am

He needs to work on his strengthening. He looked like he was struggling to push summer league league centers for positioning. He did make those turn around jumpers which is impressive.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#99 » by KF10 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 6:05 am

ibraheim718 wrote:Duncan had already been exposed to the college game for 2 years at the age of 19 though. That makes a difference. Compare their organized basketball histories at the same stages and not ages. Meaning when Duncan was a senior in high school, or a freshman in college, or an NBA rookie. Because I don't know how on earth you can compare a 17 year old Okafor playing in high school to a 17 year old freshman playing in college. The level of coaching, facilities, and teammates in the high school game can't in no way compare to the college game.

So, what then? How would you compare them?

According to you, the most logical thing is to re-visit this comparison after Okafor's 1st year in the NBA. Compare them "at the same stages". If that's the case, Duncan finished his rookie --> 21.1ppg / 11.9rpg / 2.7apg / 2.5bpg as an all star, 1st all NBA teamer, ROY, 2nd all defensive team.

I'm willing to wager that Okafor doesn't even come close to what Duncan in regards to his numbers, impact & achievements by the time his rookie year ends.

I would be surprised if Okafor comes even close to Duncan's 1st year in his prime.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#100 » by kodo » Wed Jul 8, 2015 6:18 am

NBA Moses wrote:Jahlil Okafor freshman year . 17.5 Pts 9 rebounds ACC Player of Year. National Champion.First Time Ever A Freshman has won ACC Player of the Year.

It more has to do with Tim Duncan not picking up a basketball until High School.

Jahil was already hyped by middle school. He was in AAU events by the 6th grade and had personal professional trainer by 8th grade.

They came from very different backgrounds, Jahil has been groomed for the NBA since he was a child.
Tim Duncan played basketball because his swimming pool got destroyed by a hurricane.

Return to The General Board