Can someone explain "empty stats" to me?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Can someone explain "empty stats" to me? 

Post#1 » by Cyrusman122000 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:19 am

I've seen the term "empty stats" thrown around somewhat often here in real GM, and more times than not it's centered around 3 specific big men (Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, and Greg Monroe). What exactly is the whole empty stats? Cause those guys consistently put up double doubles and I just don't see how that can be "empty" or not hold value.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Re: Can someone explain "empty stats" to me? 

Post#2 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:21 am

Imagine not boxing out your man and just trying to grab the rebound.

Basically, ignoring the little things that help a team win and only doing the things that show up in the box score.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,078

Post#3 » by joedumars1 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:22 am

MCW on the 6ers.

It has to do with players on not so good of teams putting up good numbers for them teams, but when they go to a better team, they don't look like the same player, well that is my thoughts on it
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,750

Post#4 » by QUIZ » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:23 am

Stats that look good on paper but don't actually contribute towards winning.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
Kevin Johnson
Analyst
And1: 7,835

Post#5 » by Kevin Johnson » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:27 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtGHHnA9ms[/youtube]
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#6 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:30 am

Jerry Stackhouse
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#7 » by druggas » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:31 am

No such thing.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,157

Post#8 » by og15 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:34 am

qjz123 wrote:Stats that look good on paper but don't actually contribute towards winning.

This.

Of course then it doesn't really apply to Kevin Love because his stats on Minnesota did contribute to winning.

20 PPG but takes 19 FGA. The 20 PPG suggests they are impacting the game offensively at a high level, but when you look at the efficiency, doesn't seem like much. Defensively it could be like a guy who has length and athleticism and gets 2 BPG but goal-tends half the time, plays poor pick and roll defense and is actually generally lost on defense. The BPG suggests defensive impact when they are actually bad.

Sometimes though, people just use empty stats to mean a player who produces on a team that doesn't win, or that doesn't make the playoffs, which of course is quite faulty and inconsistent as an argument in itself

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Imagine not boxing out your man and just trying to grab the rebound.

Basically, ignoring the little things that help a team win and only doing the things that show up in the box score.
That's like half the big men in the league
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#9 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:35 am

to me, its volume shooting on a bad team. 20ppg+ but on 18-20 shots because the team is bad and has no one else to take shots is empty stats to me
wowski
Pro Prospect
And1: 592

Post#10 » by wowski » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:35 am

Passing up on an open layup to get an assist.

getting 2 or more steals a game by gambling on defense often.

blackholes

ball stoppers

^^
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,801

Post#11 » by yoyoboy » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:35 am

Well supposedly Kevin Love was the king of these empty stats in Minnesota, despite the fact that he carried that team to 40 wins in a brutal West last year and, by the looks of his numbers and advanced stats, was the only reason why they weren't fighting for the number one pick.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#12 » by Ben-N1ce » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:40 am

wowski wrote:Passing up on an open layup to get an assist.

getting 2 or more steals a game by gambling on defense often.

blackholes

ball stoppers

Why you hating on Rondo?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#13 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:43 am

Most accusations of empty stats is how people try to explain a guy that has great stats, but is on a bad team. Because as we all know, a good player can never just have a bad supporting cast, it has to be somehow, someway, at least kind of his fault to explain away why other teams win more.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Dmanning2
Senior
And1: 538

Post#14 » by Dmanning2 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:49 am

IMO empty stats can only be determined by the eye test. You got guys on bad teams who score a lot of their points in transition most of their points coming from inside the paint. No half court offensive game to speak of. Like Tony Wroten and KJ McDaniels

Then you got guys like Jordan Clarkson/Wiggins/Oladipo who actually shot a respectable FG & have a offensive repertoire.

-Step Backs
-Post Fades
ect ect
ohio wrote:mudiay is a better player... so is Okafor... what the hell was LA thinking
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,893

Post#15 » by theforumblue » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:52 am

not making the "big" or timely plays to stop other team's momentum and end up getting your stats when the game is pretty much already out of hand.

other team already ran away from you early by going on a 15-2 run, and you didn't do much scoring or defending to stem the tide at the time, and the rest of the game you score at a decent clip to get your 20+ but other team was already on cruise control anyways.

or if you play decent and put up some numbers, but when push come to shove you aren't that "next level" guy who can put a team on his shoulders for few minutes to either push for a win or answer the other team's push. not frequently enough, anyways.

it's not exactly a fair thing to say. points are points etc. just because some of these aren't top tier franchise guys who can finish games on their own sometimes and whatnot they get a bum rap.

except boozer. empty stat king.
screw these absolute garbage refs
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#16 » by Goudelock » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:00 am

For me, empty stats is when a player tries to pad his totals at the end of blowouts.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
ohio
Starter
And1: 2,322

Post#17 » by ohio » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:01 am

theforumblue wrote:not making the "big" or timely plays to stop other team's momentum and end up getting your stats when the game is pretty much already out of hand.

other team already ran away from you early by going on a 15-2 run, and you didn't do much scoring or defending to stem the tide at the time, and the rest of the game you score at a decent clip to get your 20+ but other team was already on cruise control anyways.

or if you play decent and put up some numbers, but when push come to shove you aren't that "next level" guy who can put a team on his shoulders for few minutes to either push for a win or answer the other team's push. not frequently enough, anyways.

it's not exactly a fair thing to say. points are points etc. just because some of these aren't top tier franchise guys who can finish games on their own sometimes and whatnot they get a bum rap.

except boozer. empty stat king.

I always seen drew gooden as an empty stats king.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#18 » by 83SixersRocked » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:08 am

It's a way to make a player you don't 'like' appear irrelevant.
immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Post#19 » by immortalone23 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:16 am

Gambling for steals like Rondo.
"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
juice4080
Sixth Man
And1: 513

Re: Re: Can someone explain "empty stats" to me? 

Post#20 » by juice4080 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:20 am

yoyoboy wrote:Well supposedly Kevin Love was the king of these empty stats in Minnesota, despite the fact that he carried that team to 40 wins in a brutal West last year and, by the looks of his numbers and advanced stats, was the only reason why they weren't fighting for the number one pick.

and he his indeed the king of empty stats...if he was truly as great as his stats suggested his team would make the playoff at least if not being a contender....very few players has ever averaged 26-12-4 for a single season and i suspect every one of them were championship contenders

Return to The General Board