Should Kids Play Organized Ball Year Round?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Should Kids Play Organized Ball Year Round? 

Post#41 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:19 pm

BigFatBob wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:And kids are now being pressured into playing one sport, instead of playing as many sports as they like to play. Constantly hearing stories of coaches discouraging kids from playing other sports, telling them they'll be left behind if they don't commit full time to whatever that specific coach wants.

Sad stuff. Parents need to wake up and get their kids into having fun with sports and not making it into an All or nothing type of thing.

Let me guess, you're not a parent

Actually I have three kids.

And my youngest son played 5 years of travel all year round baseball until he was burnt out. When we left baseball he was told by quite a few, and we were too, that if he quit now, he would fall behind if he came back to the sport.

Now he's a football player and track sprinter. He has also played soccer and basketball. Football is his passion and he's the starting quarterback for his freshman football team.

My other two boys are older and both played many sports including soccer, baseball, basketball, volleyball, football, and golf. My middle son starred in volleyball and my oldest was/ is a standout golfer.

So what's your point really? Because I can pull on a lifetime of experience here.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#42 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:22 pm

naabzor wrote:
jucje32 wrote:
naabzor wrote:If you want to play professional sport, you NEED to play one sport and go all in. There's no way you are gonna make it elsewhere. If you just want to have fun ad stay fit, play all you want, kids.

This is the biggest myth out there. There are numerous studies to refute this.

Yes, there are studies for everything and to counter everything. So it does not really matter.

It does matter, because your statement is false.

Also they're finding out that playing one sport exclusively is doing damage to certain parts of the body at a faster rate when kids play one sport all year round.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#43 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:33 pm

yes they should play organized ball year round
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#44 » by jwise44 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:08 pm

When I have kids I'm going to encourage them to play as many sports as possible but won't force them...I will tell them how much fun I had playing tournament ball but let them decide

With my luck my kids will probably just play tournament versions of whatever the new magic or Pokemon card game is
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,614

Post#45 » by nomansland » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:23 pm

BigFatBob wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:And kids are now being pressured into playing one sport, instead of playing as many sports as they like to play. Constantly hearing stories of coaches discouraging kids from playing other sports, telling them they'll be left behind if they don't commit full time to whatever that specific coach wants.

Sad stuff. Parents need to wake up and get their kids into having fun with sports and not making it into an All or nothing type of thing.

Let me guess, you're not a parent

As a parent, I'd say his assessment is pretty accurate.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#46 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:51 am

Would like to add, that if a kid truly loves his sport and he continues to enjoy playing it, then it's totally cool to pursue it exclusively.

My whole objection is to not giving a kid a break, or being able to do other sports if they'd like. Most important thing is for the kids to enjoy what their doing and to not force them into any one thing.
Khoee wrote “
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,735

Post#47 » by naabzor » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:22 am

Mylie10 wrote:
naabzor wrote:
jucje32 wrote:

Yes, there are studies for everything and to counter everything. So it does not really matter.

It does matter, because your statement is false.

Also they're finding out that playing one sport exclusively is doing damage to certain parts of the body at a faster rate when kids play one sport all year round.

So if a bunch super genetically gifted athlete can become a pro in sports where phisicality can overcome luck of skills and knowledge of the game while 90% of pros are playing only one sports for the majority of their lives... this proves that my statement is false. OK.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#48 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:30 am

naabzor wrote:If you want to play professional sport, you NEED to play one sport and go all in. There's no way you are gonna make it elsewhere. If you just want to have fun ad stay fit, play all you want, kids.

You said there's "no way you are gonna make it elsewhere"

That's where you are false. While the odds may be lower if you play multiple sports, your statement of "no way" is false.

And no kid should be playing sports to become a professional athlete. You could.....possibly make it if everything falls right and you have the physical makeup and desire, but aspiring to be a professional athlete is wishful thinking for most people. So I would discourage kids from that type of thinking.

Making it in professional sports is like winning life's lottery.....Not likely.
Khoee wrote “
jucje32
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#49 » by jucje32 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:27 pm

naabzor wrote:
jucje32 wrote:

Actually, there really isn't.

There is no convincing evidence that most sports require an early investment of training in one activity. In fact, what evidence is available suggests that across a number of eventual elite players, early specialization is negatively correlated with eventual success (Gullich, 2011).
Mr Magic Fan
Senior
And1: 433

Post#50 » by Mr Magic Fan » Sat Aug 1, 2015 5:57 pm

Here are parts of a short paper I wrote on the subject while in physical therapy school. It summarizes recent literature on the subject and includes my opinion with some supporting evidence. While not exhaustive, I feel it provides reasonable discussion:

"I understand the desire to continuously participate in one’s sport of choice. Whether it’s simply for enjoyment of the sport, or the need to hone skills for increased playing time, make the team, or earn a scholarship, the reasons for specialization and year round play are justified. According to Ericsson et al1 becoming an expert in a chosen domain requires 10,000 hours of deliberate practice that coincide with periods of biological and cognitive development. Proponents of early specialization argue that children who specialize enhance skill acquisition through deliberate practice, and receive better coaching and training. However, the literature on early specialization and physical benefit is mixed.2 The pros and cons of early specialization varies from sport to sport. Sports where physiological conditioning is important, sport diversification may be as equally effective. Whereas, athletes in highly technical sports may benefit from specialization."

"Since learning about the intricacies of overload, recovery, and injury, in addition to the physiological and psychological components of development, I find myself challenging my initial views favoring early specialization. While I can’t fault an athlete for loving their sport and wanting to participate and improve their skills, there are detrimental aspects with such a high level of participation. Of particular importance to our profession, is the impact of excessive training during musculoskeletal development. During periods of skeletal growth, there is often inflexibility of the muscles and connective tissue as they don’t grow at the same rate of bones. This creates increased stress to joints during loading and increases susceptibility to repetitive trauma. Associated conditions such as osteochondrosis, Osgood-Schlatters’ and Sever’s diseases can occur as a result.3 Nonetheless, it is important to state that while overuse injuries and developmental abnormalities are linked with sports specialization, there is no direct evidence stating specialization as a cause.2"

"Perhaps more troubling is the psychological detriments early specialization may have on youth athletes. Some negative psychological factors associated with early sports specialization include burnout, loss of motivation, increased stress and pressure, social isolation, missing childhood moments, and decreased sport and fitness participation in adulthood.4 On top of the potential psychological detriments, there are also significant costs and time demands associated with specialization."

"So should youth athletes not focus on a specific sport? Jayanthi et al5 argue that specialization is necessary for elite skill development and that for most sports specialization should begin in late adolescence. Delaying specialization until late adolescence should reduce the risk for injury and psychological stress. To expand, other research suggests early diversification then subsequent specialization of a sport of choice in late adolescence. Supporters of diversification argue that athletes who experience many sports early are not at a disadvantage to those who specialize. Additionally, other sports may augment the physical and cognitive skills needed for their sport of choice.3 Nyland6 agrees that sports specialization should be taken with caution, but argue that late adolescence may be too late to specialize and advocates that athletes should monitor volume to avoid overuse injuries. As discussed earlier, the nature of the sport also has a bearing on what is most suitable."

"While the literature is not in favor of early sports specialization, I don’t necessarily think it should be demonized. The primary problem with early specialization and adverse effects is the disconnect between coaches, parents, and the athlete.6 For example, athletes on multiple teams will have different practice and play schedules with no regard for each other. One can see how this easily leads to excessive training volume. Additionally, there are parents and coaches who may be unaware of proper nutrition, training progression, and proper recovery. The key may not be to curb early specialization, but to shift training volume and recovery into appropriate ranges. Not only while this help the physical and psychological well-being of developing athletes, it may also improve performance! Physical therapists have a role in this education through advocacy and communication with individual athletes, parents, and coaches. Ultimately the goal for youth athletes should be to prevent overuse injuries in any sport involvement, specialized or diverse, through evidence-based progression and recovery."

"References

Ericsson KA, Krampe RT, Tesch-Romer C. The role of deliberate practice in the acquisition of expert performance. Psychol Rev. 1993;100:363-406.

Mattson JM, Richards J. Early specialization in youth sport: a biomechanical perspective. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance. 2010;81(8):26-28.

Baker J. Early specialization in youth sport: a requirement for adult expertise? High Ability Studies. 2003;14(1):85-94.

Gould D. Early specialization in youth sport: a psychological perspective. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance. 2010;81(8):33-37.

Jayanthi N, Pinkham C, Dugas L, Patrick B, LaBella C. Sports Specialization in Young Athletes: Evidence-Based Recommendations. Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 2013;5(3):251-257.

Nyland J. Coming to terms with early sports specialization and athletic injuries. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2014;44(6):389-390."
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Re: Re: 

Post#51 » by chrismikayla » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:17 pm

Mr Magic Fan wrote:Here are parts of a short paper I wrote on the subject while in physical therapy school. It summarizes recent literature on the subject and includes my opinion with some supporting evidence. While not exhaustive, I feel it provides reasonable discussion:

"I understand the desire to continuously participate in one’s sport of choice. Whether it’s simply for enjoyment of the sport, or the need to hone skills for increased playing time, make the team, or earn a scholarship, the reasons for specialization and year round play are justified. According to Ericsson et al1 becoming an expert in a chosen domain requires 10,000 hours of deliberate practice that coincide with periods of biological and cognitive development. Proponents of early specialization argue that children who specialize enhance skill acquisition through deliberate practice, and receive better coaching and training. However, the literature on early specialization and physical benefit is mixed.2 The pros and cons of early specialization varies from sport to sport. Sports where physiological conditioning is important, sport diversification may be as equally effective. Whereas, athletes in highly technical sports may benefit from specialization."

"Since learning about the intricacies of overload, recovery, and injury, in addition to the physiological and psychological components of development, I find myself challenging my initial views favoring early specialization. While I can’t fault an athlete for loving their sport and wanting to participate and improve their skills, there are detrimental aspects with such a high level of participation. Of particular importance to our profession, is the impact of excessive training during musculoskeletal development. During periods of skeletal growth, there is often inflexibility of the muscles and connective tissue as they don’t grow at the same rate of bones. This creates increased stress to joints during loading and increases susceptibility to repetitive trauma. Associated conditions such as osteochondrosis, Osgood-Schlatters’ and Sever’s diseases can occur as a result.3 Nonetheless, it is important to state that while overuse injuries and developmental abnormalities are linked with sports specialization, there is no direct evidence stating specialization as a cause.2"

"Perhaps more troubling is the psychological detriments early specialization may have on youth athletes. Some negative psychological factors associated with early sports specialization include burnout, loss of motivation, increased stress and pressure, social isolation, missing childhood moments, and decreased sport and fitness participation in adulthood.4 On top of the potential psychological detriments, there are also significant costs and time demands associated with specialization."

"So should youth athletes not focus on a specific sport? Jayanthi et al5 argue that specialization is necessary for elite skill development and that for most sports specialization should begin in late adolescence. Delaying specialization until late adolescence should reduce the risk for injury and psychological stress. To expand, other research suggests early diversification then subsequent specialization of a sport of choice in late adolescence. Supporters of diversification argue that athletes who experience many sports early are not at a disadvantage to those who specialize. Additionally, other sports may augment the physical and cognitive skills needed for their sport of choice.3 Nyland6 agrees that sports specialization should be taken with caution, but argue that late adolescence may be too late to specialize and advocates that athletes should monitor volume to avoid overuse injuries. As discussed earlier, the nature of the sport also has a bearing on what is most suitable."

"While the literature is not in favor of early sports specialization, I don’t necessarily think it should be demonized. The primary problem with early specialization and adverse effects is the disconnect between coaches, parents, and the athlete.6 For example, athletes on multiple teams will have different practice and play schedules with no regard for each other. One can see how this easily leads to excessive training volume. Additionally, there are parents and coaches who may be unaware of proper nutrition, training progression, and proper recovery. The key may not be to curb early specialization, but to shift training volume and recovery into appropriate ranges. Not only while this help the physical and psychological well-being of developing athletes, it may also improve performance! Physical therapists have a role in this education through advocacy and communication with individual athletes, parents, and coaches. Ultimately the goal for youth athletes should be to prevent overuse injuries in any sport involvement, specialized or diverse, through evidence-based progression and recovery."

"References

Ericsson KA, Krampe RT, Tesch-Romer C. The role of deliberate practice in the acquisition of expert performance. Psychol Rev. 1993;100:363-406.

Mattson JM, Richards J. Early specialization in youth sport: a biomechanical perspective. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance. 2010;81(8):26-28.

Baker J. Early specialization in youth sport: a requirement for adult expertise? High Ability Studies. 2003;14(1):85-94.

Gould D. Early specialization in youth sport: a psychological perspective. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance. 2010;81(8):33-37.

Jayanthi N, Pinkham C, Dugas L, Patrick B, LaBella C. Sports Specialization in Young Athletes: Evidence-Based Recommendations. Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 2013;5(3):251-257.

Nyland J. Coming to terms with early sports specialization and athletic injuries. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2014;44(6):389-390."

Thanks this is good information I appreciate you sharing.
jucje32
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#52 » by jucje32 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 10:33 pm

Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#53 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 1, 2015 10:44 pm

Growing up, I was on pretty much on every team my school's had. Then again i was a kid and back then kids liked to actually play. Even when not playing sports, we had our own games we'd play outside, like freeze tag, spider, Skelly, catch a girl/get a girl, hell I'd even play double dutch just to get close to the girls.

Flashback moment. :lol:
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#54 » by bondom34 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 12:50 am

Thugger HBC wrote:Growing up, I was on pretty much on every team my school's had. Then again i was a kid and back then kids liked to actually play. Even when not playing sports, we had our own games we'd play outside, like freeze tag, spider, Skelly, catch a girl/get a girl, hell I'd even play double dutch just to get close to the girls.

Flashback moment. :lol:

At 29, I feel ancient. I didn't have video games other than a basic GameBoy til I was like 12 and got a SNES. Had no cable until high school. Played in what they called "outside". :lol:

I don't think I ever played organized year round, though I only played til after 9th grade, other than that I played soccer, hoops in the driveway, roller hockey, cross country, swam in the pool, backyard football, sleigh riding in winter....

Except the double dutch one, never thought of that trick!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO

Return to The General Board