Former NBA All-Star...Working to Become Manager of Starbucks Coffee Shop

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Re: Former NBA All-Star...Working to Become Manager of Starbucks Coffee Shop 

Post#61 » by Elden Payton » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:29 pm

dautjazz wrote:
ryanpuge wrote:
majortom71 wrote:
Well that's his life lesson and it seems he's learned the hard way and making his personal "come back". Personally I congratulate him on restoring himself and getting back to being a provider for his family.

Exactly.... People make mistakes and its how you learn from your mistakes.
fyi, money doesn't buy happiness...

Did I ever say money buys happiness? I'm just saying he blew his money like an idiot. Well it's no surprise, sports are full of idiots who mismanage their money.

Life is full of idiots who blow their money.

We shouldn't single out a guy who suffered from alcoholism (for years) in that regard.

The world right now is in a terminal economic decline, pretty soon no one will have any money.
Fran Vasquez
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#62 » by Fran Vasquez » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:30 pm

dautjazz wrote:
majortom71 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:I'm sorry, but what a freaking idiot. I don't feel sorry one bit for these idiots that blow this sort of money so fast.

Why so bitter? People make their mistakes in life and try to redeem themselves and at least he's doing something more positive and trying to earn a living.
Besides that I don't think he wants anyone to feel sorry for him.

I'm not bitter, just shaking my head, because you have to be absolute idiot to blow that kind of money.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

at least they dont try to hide it
im not sure if im the only guy wondering this but to me after 2008 there was very suspicious number of legendary actors, that hadnt done anything for years, suddenly replaying old and buried characters and i always wonder if maybe the finnancial crisis had something to do with it, because most of them you could tell they were not confortable doing that old buried character and basically were not even trying
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#63 » by Zubby » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:37 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:
Where does it say he's the owner of the Starbucks?

It says he's training to become the manager. Starbucks doesn't franchise as far as I know. I know in Magic Johnson's case they gave him certain territories because they wanted to expand into the urban market. That was a special case though.

learning the ropes of the business at an operational level

Generally this means he baught a franchise and is currently learning how it works. (owner-operator) This is a common practice with franchises, and seems to be a very misleading article.

I own multiple franchises and even inquired about Starbucks many years ago (they don't franchise), so I know what an owner-operator is. I hire managers for each of my businesses so I would never refer to myself as "manager". Being a manager is not synonymous with owner. Managers earn a salary, they aren't entitled to a share of the profits. No where in the article does it say he's the owner. It only says he's training to be a manager.

Read better

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/28/former-nba-all-star-vin-baker-training-to-be-starbucks-manager/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
That didnā€™t seem to pan out, so heā€™s going to his fall back ā€” owning a Starbucks.

Which means learning how to run a Starbucks. He is going through training on that now, something he talked about with Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal.

bleacher report is trash, read the source(linked in the 1st sentence from bleacher report). Liver Pooty was right.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,512

Post#64 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:23 am

Gotta give the man his props. He atleast appears to have picked himself up and turned his life around. Gotta respect that
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,977

Post#65 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:09 am

I had interactions with Vin when he was a buck and people who dealt with him regularly. Never heard a negative thing about him besides his addiction. He hurt himself big time but never meant to let anyone else down. Glad he is finding strength.
Hector_Reyes_8
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,331

Post#66 » by Hector_Reyes_8 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:33 am

JellosJigglin wrote:
Hector_Reyes_8 wrote:Caron Butler's moves have become increasingly clever; buying 6 or so Burger King facilities just looks better and better.

If true then he made a very smart move. I've been looking into buying a BK. Them and Arby's both had higher quarterly growth than McDonald's. Their CEO is 34 years old and CFO only 28. Their young leadership is making smart changes. BK is on the rise.

I'm a teenager, I know nothing of business. If you want to make fun of my mistake, blame the public school system.
On Harden being MVP of this season ( I don't even like Harden much)

Kawhi M8 wrote:He will be the biggest joke of an MVP to ever win.
Ever.
Absolute spud of a bloke and **** traits as a player, basically tarnish the MVP forever
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#67 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:58 pm

Zubby wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:

Generally this means he baught a franchise and is currently learning how it works. (owner-operator) This is a common practice with franchises, and seems to be a very misleading article.

I own multiple franchises and even inquired about Starbucks many years ago (they don't franchise), so I know what an owner-operator is. I hire managers for each of my businesses so I would never refer to myself as "manager". Being a manager is not synonymous with owner. Managers earn a salary, they aren't entitled to a share of the profits. No where in the article does it say he's the owner. It only says he's training to be a manager.

Read better

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/28/former-nba-all-star-vin-baker-training-to-be-starbucks-manager/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
That didnā€™t seem to pan out, so heā€™s going to his fall back ā€” owning a Starbucks.

Which means learning how to run a Starbucks. He is going through training on that now, something he talked about with Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal.

bleacher report is trash, read the source(linked in the 1st sentence from bleacher report). Liver Pooty was right.

I never said he was wrong, I asked where in the article it said he's the owner. You could've simply answered it without being a douche. I read the article that was linked in OP. I don't have time to click every link within a link, and it's ridiculous to expect anyone else to. Thanks for sharing. Even though they don't franchise it helps to be friends with the CEO.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#68 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:37 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:
Hector_Reyes_8 wrote:Caron Butler's moves have become increasingly clever; buying 6 or so Burger King facilities just looks better and better.

If true then he made a very smart move. I've been looking into buying a BK. Them and Arby's both had higher quarterly growth than McDonald's. Their CEO is 34 years old and CFO only 28. Their young leadership is making smart changes. BK is on the rise.

you have a 1.5 million net-worth? impressive

Yes, but man it didn't come easy. It took a lot of personal sacrifice and family willing to help me. My parents let me live with them for most of my 20's so I could save up enough money for a business. When I finally got it I was wiped out financially and had that debt to pay off. I couldn't afford a manager so I worked a shift myself, sometimes double shifts if someone didn't show up or got sick.

It was tough man. That was my 20's, when my friends were meeting up after work for happy hour while I was standing behind a register. My friends would hop on planes for last second Vegas trips or road trips to wherever, going out and meeting girls, pick-up games at the park. I gave up all that and had no life at a time when everyone I knew was living it up. I questioned if having all that responsibility was the right move, but it paid off. I'm 34, have 6 businesses with 2 different franchises with managers running each one, plus a few real estate investments. Now looking to buy a 7th (possibly BK) and don't want to stop there. I'm hungry.

What Vin Baker is doing is impressive. Learning to run a business is really hard, but he's doing it while raising children. That's a whole 'nother level of responsibility that I don't have to worry about. But it's great that he gets to learn on someone else's dollar. Some people get their first business and are thrown into the deep end and have to learn to swim on their own. I hope he's able to stay clean and really take advantage of this opportunity, because a lot of people would kill to have that chance.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,353

Post#69 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:48 pm

He made 100 million. I highly doubt he blew it all and I highly doubt he's depending on his paycheck.

My guess is that he wants to own a couple of franchises, and this is the best way to get to know the business.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#70 » by 83SixersRocked » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:40 pm

is this TMZ now?
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Post#71 » by AmusingFiddle » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:15 pm

He will be just fine. All these players have a very healthy literally "untouchable" retirement benefits plan that starts paying out around the age of 45.

I know of this because a "very well known" basketball player asked me to help him leverage his NBAPA retirement account for some investments we were discussing. He is well known not because he was a superstar but due to his presence in a famous/controversial Michael Jordan play. Did not make crazy money like the guys discussed in this thread but still had a pretty healthy retirement account.

Most of the former NBA & MLB players I have encountered that have lost all their fortune will be fine at retirement. I can go into details but some of these guys are very smart about hiding their real money from "gold-diggers." Let me put it this way....banks are not the safest way to save your money.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#72 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:01 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:

you have a 1.5 million net-worth? impressive

Yes, but man it didn't come easy. It took a lot of personal sacrifice and family willing to help me. My parents let me live with them for most of my 20's so I could save up enough money for a business. When I finally got it I was wiped out financially and had that debt to pay off. I couldn't afford a manager so I worked a shift myself, sometimes double shifts if someone didn't show up or got sick.

It was tough man. That was my 20's, when my friends were meeting up after work for happy hour while I was standing behind a register. My friends would hop on planes for last second Vegas trips or road trips to wherever, going out and meeting girls, pick-up games at the park. I gave up all that and had no life at a time when everyone I knew was living it up. I questioned if having all that responsibility was the right move, but it paid off. I'm 34, have 6 businesses with 2 different franchises with managers running each one, plus a few real estate investments. Now looking to buy a 7th (possibly BK) and don't want to stop there. I'm hungry.

I'm 35 with a decent job and I never go to vegas or anywhere but I don't have that much net :(
I do have a 2 kids and a lazy wife, though, maybe that's the connection...
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#73 » by Slartibartfast » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:48 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
majortom71 wrote:Why so bitter? People make their mistakes in life and try to redeem themselves and at least he's doing something more positive and trying to earn a living.
Besides that I don't think he wants anyone to feel sorry for him.

I'm not bitter, just shaking my head, because you have to be absolute idiot to blow that kind of money.

You have no idea how hard it is to mange a great deal of money when you have no experience with money.

Let's take a small sample size. Today in America kids are graduating from high school with no idea how to balance a check book, no idea how easy it is to get into credit card debt, no idea that the car that only costs $500 a month will cost you an additional $400 a month in insurance payments. It's very easy for the average American kid graduating from high school to get into debt.

Now imagine a kid has been told how great and wonderful he is all his life because he can play basketball. Everything he wants and all his needs have been met. His parents are not savvy about finance his relatives are not savvy about finance. Who does he trust and who can he turn too when he starts making millions of dollars? It's not like he can go down to the bank and deposit his checks into a savings account every month. He has to put his money into vehicles that are safe and yet will produce some kind of income. Everyone "in the know" is telling him get into this and protect yourself from taxes, get into this and your money will make more money. On top of that he wants to enjoy the spoils of his labor. So on top of finding someone good to manage his money (something he or no one in his surroundings know anything about) he now has to develop the financial ability to keep an eagle eye on his fiances, sharpen his game, keep up appearances (because that is what young people do) and have fun too. That is a tall task for any 18-19 year old coming into the NBA.

I am not making excuses for anyone fortunate enough to have the opportunity to make millions in the NBA. But it's not really hard to understand why someone could go broke.

Two other points. Research has shown that Alcohol is the hardest drug habit to kick....and in this era of sports stars making babies and not taking care of them. With all of his issues Vin Baker still is doing what he can to take care of his children.

I'm happy Vin keeps getting back on the wagon instead of just giving up and going in the tank, but it's still hard for a lot of us working schlubs to understand how anyone can blow that much money and have nothing to show for it.

To put this in perspective, the median household income in my county is about $50k. It would take the average family here almost 2000 years to make what Baker made in 13.

I know 22-year-olds are pretty dumb as a rule, but you have to be extraordinarily incompetent and self-destructive to derail that kind of gravy train.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,404

Post#74 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:26 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

You have no idea how hard it is to mange a great deal of money when you have no experience with money.

Let's take a small sample size. Today in America kids are graduating from high school with no idea how to balance a check book, no idea how easy it is to get into credit card debt, no idea that the car that only costs $500 a month will cost you an additional $400 a month in insurance payments. It's very easy for the average American kid graduating from high school to get into debt.

Now imagine a kid has been told how great and wonderful he is all his life because he can play basketball. Everything he wants and all his needs have been met. His parents are not savvy about finance his relatives are not savvy about finance. Who does he trust and who can he turn too when he starts making millions of dollars? It's not like he can go down to the bank and deposit his checks into a savings account every month. He has to put his money into vehicles that are safe and yet will produce some kind of income. Everyone "in the know" is telling him get into this and protect yourself from taxes, get into this and your money will make more money. On top of that he wants to enjoy the spoils of his labor. So on top of finding someone good to manage his money (something he or no one in his surroundings know anything about) he now has to develop the financial ability to keep an eagle eye on his fiances, sharpen his game, keep up appearances (because that is what young people do) and have fun too. That is a tall task for any 18-19 year old coming into the NBA.

I am not making excuses for anyone fortunate enough to have the opportunity to make millions in the NBA. But it's not really hard to understand why someone could go broke.

Two other points. Research has shown that Alcohol is the hardest drug habit to kick....and in this era of sports stars making babies and not taking care of them. With all of his issues Vin Baker still is doing what he can to take care of his children.

I'm happy Vin keeps getting back on the wagon instead of just giving up and going in the tank, but it's still hard for a lot of us working schlubs to understand how anyone can blow that much money and have nothing to show for it.

To put this in perspective, the median household income in my county is about $50k. It would take the average family here almost 2000 years to make what Baker made in 13.

I know 22-year-olds are pretty dumb as a rule, but you have to be extraordinarily incompetent and self-destructive to derail that kind of gravy train.

Incompetent = uneducated about finance.
self-destructive = not having a clear vision for the future.

All things most 22 year olds that don't make millions suffer from.

And 9 times out of 10 the money alarms go off after your playing days are done. Not while you are at your peak making money...so there is never a cause for alarm or to think anything is wrong. It is only after the fact that you realize something went wrong.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Jack_Tretton
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#75 » by Jack_Tretton » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:37 pm

Should've done that, should've known better, makes no sense, blah blah blah. Sounds so miserable. At least most, if not all of Vin's money went straight back to the economy. No problem whatsoever as long as he didn't hurt anyone.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#76 » by Warspite » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:30 pm

LeChosen One wrote:If he were my father, I would hate him...

If he were my son I would be very proud of him.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
brownsmith89
Senior
And1: 120

Post#77 » by brownsmith89 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:52 am

JellosJigglin wrote:Yes, but man it didn't come easy. It took a lot of personal sacrifice and family willing to help me. My parents let me live with them for most of my 20's so I could save up enough money for a business. When I finally got it I was wiped out financially and had that debt to pay off. I couldn't afford a manager so I worked a shift myself, sometimes double shifts if someone didn't show up or got sick.

i respect the hard work you put in. this is what makes america great. now that you're financially secure, you can afford having a son or daughter to inherit your knowledge and businesses.

i would've recommended in-n-out burger over burger king, but i found out that they don't franchise.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#78 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:15 am

I love Starbucks and would love too own a franchise
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,722

Post#79 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:07 am

JellosJigglin wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:
Where does it say he's the owner of the Starbucks?

It says he's training to become the manager. Starbucks doesn't franchise as far as I know. I know in Magic Johnson's case they gave him certain territories because they wanted to expand into the urban market. That was a special case though.

learning the ropes of the business at an operational level

I'm glad you could take time out from your 16+ hour work day to post this on a forum.

I don't think your post is full of crap, though others might.... But, it turns out you are completely wrong, they do franchise and he is the owner.
MrBaynes
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,863

Post#80 » by MrBaynes » Sat Aug 1, 2015 5:32 am

Regarding if Starbucks is a franchise operation, directly from their investor website:

Starbucks franchises on a very limited basis. Applications are not being accepted for new Starbucks franchisees at this time, however our Seattleā€™s Best Coffee brand is offering franchising opportunities to qualified and select applicants. A predefined set of criteria is used which focuses on multi-unit franchisees with a proven track record of success. For more information, visit http://seattlesbestcoffee.com/contact-us

Return to The General Board