Former NBA All-Star...Working to Become Manager of Starbucks Coffee Shop

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Re: Former NBA All-Star...Working to Become Manager of Starbucks Coffee Shop 

Post#21 » by JellosJigglin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:He's the owner of the starbucks. So although hes not a multi millionaire anymore hes definitely not living on the streets either.

Where does it say he's the owner of the Starbucks?

His latest move, as McNamara reports, is setting a course toward becoming the full-time manager of a Starbucks in North Kingstown, Rhode Island.

It says he's training to become the manager. Starbucks doesn't franchise as far as I know. I know in Magic Johnson's case they gave him certain territories because they wanted to expand into the urban market. That was a special case though.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,891

Post#22 » by theforumblue » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:22 pm

Where does it say he's the owner? It just says he's learning to manage the store.
screw these absolute garbage refs
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#23 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:33 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:He's the owner of the starbucks. So although hes not a multi millionaire anymore hes definitely not living on the streets either.

His latest move, as McNamara reports, is setting a course toward becoming the full-time manager of a Starbucks in North Kingstown, Rhode Island.

It says he's training to become the manager. Starbucks doesn't franchise as far as I know. I know in Magic Johnson's case they gave him certain territories because they wanted to expand into the urban market. That was a special case though.

Nevermind I'm an idiot.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,736

Post#24 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:44 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:He is also a fun poster on the Raptors board.

He seriously posts on the Raptors board?
Ingles is cooked.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#25 » by dautjazz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:47 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
ryanpuge wrote:
Exactly.... People make mistakes and its how you learn from your mistakes.
fyi, money doesn't buy happiness...

Did I ever say money buys happiness? I'm just saying he blew his money like an idiot. Well it's no surprise, sports are full of idiots who mismanage their money.

Listen brother, I get what you are trying to say. Vin made a fortune while he was playing I get that 100%, but that being said you are presenting your message in a very spiteful manner. just your choice of words is conveying animosity. Ex. "Sports is full of idiots."

Sorry Hulk Hogan, I just don't beat around the bush.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Ring_Me
Rookie
And1: 584

Post#26 » by Ring_Me » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Vin just wants to meet a lot of white girls. What's so wrong with that?
"Do not go gentle into that good night." :starwars
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#27 » by SpinninHouse » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:53 pm

knicks512 wrote:Vin Baker The Irish Coffee Maker

Holy crap that's horrible, man!
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,900

Post#28 » by Dirk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:54 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:He is also a fun poster on the Raptors board.

He seriously posts on the Raptors board?

Yes. VinBaker6.

One of the few Casey defenders. Gives great bball insight, but they don't listen.
60/21/10
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#29 » by SpinninHouse » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:55 pm

majortom71 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:I'm sorry, but what a freaking idiot. I don't feel sorry one bit for these idiots that blow this sort of money so fast.

Why so bitter? People make their mistakes in life and try to redeem themselves and at least he's doing something more positive and trying to earn a living.
Besides that I don't think he wants anyone to feel sorry for him.

Seriously WTF. The guy is working to make a living. He made mistakes, paid his consquences, and is moving on.
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#30 » by chitownsalesmen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:57 pm

dautjazz wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
Did I ever say money buys happiness? I'm just saying he blew his money like an idiot. Well it's no surprise, sports are full of idiots who mismanage their money.

Listen brother, I get what you are trying to say. Vin made a fortune while he was playing I get that 100%, but that being said you are presenting your message in a very spiteful manner. just your choice of words is conveying animosity. Ex. "Sports is full of idiots."

Sorry Hulk Hogan, I just don't beat around the bush.

Well, to take a page from your book, I guess your just one jealous little SOB.
choppermagic
Starter
And1: 846

Post#31 » by choppermagic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm

SpinninHouse wrote:
Seriously WTF. The guy is working to make a living. He made mistakes, paid his consquences, and is moving on.

Yup. respect to him for doing a regular working day. Its better than running sport-memorabilia scams or other shady deals. Hopefully he can get some paying speaking gigs for the NBA to teach rookies not to burn their NBA money and to save up...
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#32 » by jwise44 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:02 pm

dautjazz wrote:
majortom71 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:I'm sorry, but what a freaking idiot. I don't feel sorry one bit for these idiots that blow this sort of money so fast.

Why so bitter? People make their mistakes in life and try to redeem themselves and at least he's doing something more positive and trying to earn a living.

I'm not bitter, just shaking my head, because you have to be absolute idiot to blow that kind of money.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

He suffers from addiction and alcoholism...when people do they think more about their next fix/drink and that's all they think about

Good on him for getting help and overcoming that because it IS a disease
devinbrady
Junior
And1: 145

Post#33 » by devinbrady » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:07 pm

It is never to late for a fresh start. Nice work Vin.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#34 » by meekrab » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:59 pm

From ordering coffee from an intern to service coffee to interns.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,418

Post#35 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:28 pm

dautjazz wrote:
majortom71 wrote:

I'm not bitter, just shaking my head, because you have to be absolute idiot to blow that kind of money.

You have no idea how hard it is to mange a great deal of money when you have no experience with money.

Let's take a small sample size. Today in America kids are graduating from high school with no idea how to balance a check book, no idea how easy it is to get into credit card debt, no idea that the car that only costs $500 a month will cost you an additional $400 a month in insurance payments. It's very easy for the average American kid graduating from high school to get into debt.

Now imagine a kid has been told how great and wonderful he is all his life because he can play basketball. Everything he wants and all his needs have been met. His parents are not savvy about finance his relatives are not savvy about finance. Who does he trust and who can he turn too when he starts making millions of dollars? It's not like he can go down to the bank and deposit his checks into a savings account every month. He has to put his money into vehicles that are safe and yet will produce some kind of income. Everyone "in the know" is telling him get into this and protect yourself from taxes, get into this and your money will make more money. On top of that he wants to enjoy the spoils of his labor. So on top of finding someone good to manage his money (something he or no one in his surroundings know anything about) he now has to develop the financial ability to keep an eagle eye on his fiances, sharpen his game, keep up appearances (because that is what young people do) and have fun too. That is a tall task for any 18-19 year old coming into the NBA.

I am not making excuses for anyone fortunate enough to have the opportunity to make millions in the NBA. But it's not really hard to understand why someone could go broke.

Two other points. Research has shown that Alcohol is the hardest drug habit to kick....and in this era of sports stars making babies and not taking care of them. With all of his issues Vin Baker still is doing what he can to take care of his children.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#36 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Well, even if he was an idiot I applaud him for turning his life around from alcoholism and trying to do right by his 4 kids. I think this quote from him says it all-

When you learn lessons in life, no matter what level you're at financially, the important part to realize is it could happen. I was an alcoholic, I lost a fortune. I had great talent and lost it. For the people on the outside looking in, they're like 'Wow.' For me, I'm 43 and I have four kids. I have to pick up the pieces. I'm a father. I'm a minister in my father's church. I have to take the story and show that you can bounce back. If I use my notoriety in the right way, most people will appreciate this guy is just trying to bounce back in his life.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#37 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:01 pm

And also this quote from him:
http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150727/SPORTS/150729380

For me this could have ended most likely in jail or death. That’s how these stories usually end,” he says. “For me to summon the strength to walk out here and get excited about retail management at Starbucks and try to provide for my family, I feel that’s more heroic than being 6-11 with a fade-away jump shot. I get energy from waking up in the morning and, first of all, not depending on alcohol, and not being embarrassed or ashamed to know I have a family to take care of. The show’s got to go on.

Again, acknowledging his mistakes AND his courage to bounce back from them.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#38 » by dautjazz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:26 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
majortom71 wrote:Why so bitter? People make their mistakes in life and try to redeem themselves and at least he's doing something more positive and trying to earn a living.

You have no idea how hard it is to mange a great deal of money when you have no experience with money.

Let's take a small sample size. Today in America kids are graduating from high school with no idea how to balance a check book, no idea how easy it is to get into credit card debt, no idea that the car that only costs $500 a month will cost you an additional $400 a month in insurance payments. It's very easy for the average American kid graduating from high school to get into debt.

Now imagine a kid has been told how great and wonderful he is all his life because he can play basketball. Everything he wants and all his needs have been met. His parents are not savvy about finance his relatives are not savvy about finance. Who does he trust and who can he turn too when he starts making millions of dollars? It's not like he can go down to the bank and deposit his checks into a savings account every month. He has to put his money into vehicles that are safe and yet will produce some kind of income. Everyone "in the know" is telling him get into this and protect yourself from taxes, get into this and your money will make more money. On top of that he wants to enjoy the spoils of his labor. So on top of finding someone good to manage his money (something he or no one in his surroundings know anything about) he now has to develop the financial ability to keep an eagle eye on his fiances, sharpen his game, keep up appearances (because that is what young people do) and have fun too. That is a tall task for any 18-19 year old coming into the NBA.

I am not making excuses for anyone fortunate enough to have the opportunity to make millions in the NBA. But it's not really hard to understand why someone could go broke.

Two other points. Research has shown that Alcohol is the hardest drug habit to kick....and in this era of sports stars making babies and not taking care of them. With all of his issues Vin Baker still is doing what he can to take care of his children.

I understand how most players get broke, being completely irresponsible with their money. They should realize that they their window is somewhere between 4-20yrs to play basketball, and at some point those checks are going to stop coming in, so you can't spend what you earn, you HAVE to save. That's what drives me crazy, they can't pay someone a little more to advise them? How much can an adviser really cost? In the case of addiction (gambling, drugs, etc), ok that definitely is sad, and if that's Baker's main reason, then I do feel for him and salute him for working through it, but it's most certainly not the reason for most athletes that go broke. Also if you had some financial adviser he wouldn't let you blow all your money on your addictions.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#39 » by MagicMadness » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:53 pm

The_Toro wrote:there should be some forced pension plan for the players. 10% of the income they earn is taken and invested for them when they retire. you give any 20 year old crazy sums of money you should expect trouble.

Yeah, like hypothetically say the NBA requires that 10% of every paycheck goes into a league-mandated financial savings plan of sorts, and you can only begin collecting that money after you retire.

Then someone like Baker automatically has $10 million or so when he retires (10% of $100 million - pretend this amount was his after-tax career earnings), coming in monthly payments like an annuity or something (Heirs collect the rest in a lump sum if the player dies before payments end?).

I know it's not as simple as that, but figure out something to help protect against this happening so often.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,722

Post#40 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:

learning the ropes of the business at an operational level

Generally this means he baught a franchise and is currently learning how it works. (owner-operator) This is a common practice with franchises, and seems to be a very misleading article.

Return to The General Board