COY Mike Budenholzer pleads not guilty for DUI

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#1 » by ImChillin01 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 11:45 pm

Atlanta Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer reportedly pleaded not guilty to charges related to an August 2013 arrest ahead of a scheduled arraignment hearing on Wednesday.

Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the plea was filed with the court last week, which means Budenholzer won't need to attend the hearing. He's facing "misdemeanor charges of driving under the influence alcohol less safe and defective or no taillights."

The coach could receive a wide range of penalties if found guilty, including a jail sentence of up to a year, a $1,000 fine, suspension of his driver's license or community service, according to the report. It's noted he could face league discipline as a result of the incident as well.

A report from the Associated Press (via ESPN.com) back in 2013 detailed the stop, which was originally for broken taillights. A Georgia State Patrol trooper explained Budenholzer had "bloodshot and watery eyes 'and a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his breath.'"

He released a statement at the time about the situation, via the same AP report:

I take my role as a leader very seriously and hold myself to a high standard. I apologize to the fans and to the Hawks organization for any negative attention this incident has brought upon my family and the organization while the legal process evolves and I contest these misdemeanor charges.

Under his leadership, the Hawks posted the best record (60-22) in the Eastern Conference last season and reached the conference finals before losing to the Cleveland Cavaliers. They have qualified for the playoffs in both years since he was hired.

Budenholzer is still scheduled to serve on the coaching staff for Team Africa in the NBA Africa Game 2015 on August 1. The next step in the case will be known after the arraignment hearing Wednesday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2533151-mike-budenholzer-pleads-not-guilty-to-dui-charge-from-2013-arrest
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: COY Mike Budenholzer pleads not guilty for DUI 

Post#2 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 11:50 pm

Few things
- So many idiots in today's world. Is it that hard to NOT get behind a wheel when drunk / intoxicated / whatever? Call an Uber or taxi or something.
-Should be noted in the title that it's from 2013 and not recent - no action was taken by league / Hawks since then, so it's hard to expect any now.
SmoothCriminal
Senior
And1: 935

Post#3 » by SmoothCriminal » Sun Aug 2, 2015 11:54 pm

ohio
Starter
And1: 2,322

Post#4 » by ohio » Sun Aug 2, 2015 11:55 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:Few things
- So many idiots in today's world. Is it that hard to NOT get behind a wheel when drunk / intoxicated / whatever? Call an Uber or taxi or something.
-Should be noted in the title that it's from 2013 and not recent - no action was taken by league / Hawks since then, so it's hard to expect any now.

well uber wasn't nearly as popular in 2013, sometimes getting a ride even a taxi is such a hassle that it's easier just to drive if you aren't really drunk. it's not a pc thing to say but that's what real world experience is like.

- the league only reacts to these things when the person is actually convicted, a mere arrest isn't enough.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#5 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 11:57 pm

SmoothCriminal wrote:it seems Mike taking the Demarre Carroll departure harder than I thought

Raps in 4

He was arrested in 2013...

ohio wrote:

well uber wasn't nearly as popular in 2013, sometimes getting a ride even a taxi is such a hassle that it's easier just to drive if you aren't really drunk. it's not a pc thing to say but that's what real world experience is like.

- the league only reacts to these things when the person is actually convicted, a mere arrest isn't enough.

There is no excuse for getting behind the wheel of a car while drunk. None whatsoever. *Edit -- barring extreme circumstances*
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,845

Post#6 » by bullsRlife » Mon Aug 3, 2015 12:05 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
SmoothCriminal wrote:it seems Mike taking the Demarre Carroll departure harder than I thought

Raps in 4

ohio wrote:

There is no excuse for getting behind the wheel of a car while drunk. None whatsoever. *Edit -- barring extreme circumstances*

There isn't, but people do it. Stop pointing the finger like you're Mr. Perfect.
ohio
Starter
And1: 2,322

Post#7 » by ohio » Mon Aug 3, 2015 12:06 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:

Raps in 4

ohio wrote:

I definitely agree with you, I would never do it again but I've done it before stupidly enough and I know people do it all the time, if you get a DUI that means you're probably regularly drive drunk anyway, it's a much bigger thing than people are willing to admit.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#8 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 12:09 am

bullsRlife wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Raps in 4

ohio wrote:well uber wasn't nearly as popular in 2013, sometimes getting a ride even a taxi is such a hassle that it's easier just to drive if you aren't really drunk. it's not a pc thing to say but that's what real world experience is like.

There isn't, but people do it. Stop pointing the finger like you're Mr. Perfect.

I understand people do it. What I don't understand is why they do it, barring extreme circumstances. I'm far from perfect, btw. Not sure why you're attacking me but okay. Continue, if you want?
clip set
Junior
And1: 402

Post#9 » by clip set » Mon Aug 3, 2015 12:10 am

Atlanta seems to be the popular place to get arrested in the NBA
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#10 » by TKainZero » Mon Aug 3, 2015 12:11 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:

Raps in 4

ohio wrote:

Like...
Your wife attacking you with a golf club because she found your cell phone...

Or...
We are out of beer... Let's get more beer
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by bullsRlife » Mon Aug 3, 2015 12:13 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
bullsRlife wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I understand people do it. What I don't understand is why they do it, barring extreme circumstances. I'm far from perfect, btw. Not sure why you're attacking me but okay. Continue, if you want?

I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying, people do stupid things sometimes, and that no one's perfect.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#12 » by RTM » Mon Aug 3, 2015 12:20 am

bullsRlife wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
bullsRlife wrote:

I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying, people do stupid things sometimes, and that no one's perfect.

You don't need to be perfect in order to not drive drunk. That "people do it" is not a defense or an excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by bullsRlife » Mon Aug 3, 2015 12:27 am

RTM wrote:
bullsRlife wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

You don't need to be perfect in order to not drive drunk. That "people do it" is not a defense or an excuse.

Who was using that as an excuse? I said people aren't perfect, he got caught driving drunk, no need to continue to point the finger.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#14 » by qm22 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:00 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
bullsRlife wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

You won't understand if you apply logical thinking.
Most Americans like to get drunk and go to bars. Most of them are in the middle of nowhere and most American cities have no respectable public transportation options. When it's time to go home they have to decide whether to inconvenience themselves by leaving their car behind and waiting for a ride. It would be inconvenient.

You can basically expect a large proportion of drunks on the road when you think of all those cars parked at bars eventually going home. I think drunk driving is pretty rampant, and more of a norm.

On a side note when looking at an officer's testimony of someone being drunk without any hard evidence, as presented in the OP, I'm pretty skeptical. Each time I've gotten a ticket for speeding when going back from work, which is late, I get asked how much I was drinking, when I don't drink at all, let alone drink and drive.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#15 » by inquisitive » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:03 am

Morey will trade Mchale for Bud soon...just wait
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#16 » by orlandomanic » Mon Aug 3, 2015 5:46 am

clip set wrote:Atlanta seems to be the popular place to get arrested in the NBA

Their are a lot of white cops in GA.
Jonatton Yeah
Veteran
And1: 4,062

Post#17 » by Jonatton Yeah » Mon Aug 3, 2015 6:16 am

inquisitive wrote:Morey will trade Mchale for Bud soon...just wait

Nope. Genius Morey needs the center of attention and somebody to deflect blame to when things don't go all perfect master plan like. Bud don't fit that criteria.
That's hilarious and co
Usual Suspects
Sixth Man
And1: 2,185

Post#18 » by Usual Suspects » Mon Aug 3, 2015 6:16 am

RTM wrote:
bullsRlife wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Thank You, how is that hard to understand. Yes, we all do stupid things from time to time, but drinking and driving goes a bit beyond that.

An extreme example (for my own comedic purposes): "Yes, I murder people, sorry I can't be perfect like you...Gosh"
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,413

Post#19 » by Revived » Mon Aug 3, 2015 10:06 am

Do the Hawks have anyone in their organization that doesn't have off court baggage?
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#20 » by Dominator83 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:55 am

orlandomanic wrote:
clip set wrote:Atlanta seems to be the popular place to get arrested in the NBA

Their are a lot of white cops in GA.

There are a lot of white cops in every state
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !

Return to The General Board