Kobe on Shaq's Podcast

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Re: "I didn't appreciate Shaq until I played with Dwight"- Kobe on Shaq's Podcast 

Post#61 » by thamadkant » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Jakay wrote:^I haven't watched it yet, but I remember Dwight trying to establish low post and calling for the ball and Nash basically yelling at him to come out to the ball because he was going to get stripped where he was standing. That was THE moment I realized the experiment was doomed.

Anyhow, I think Kobe will take the high road more often once he retires. Until then, anything to fuel the fire. I'm not really defending him so much it seems like that's his main way of motivating himself, for better or worse.

I'm speculating...
But I think Howard was asking Nash to throw it up over the defender onto Howard but Nash explaining to Howard frustratingly that the back board and the defender makes that pass impossible so he wanted Howard to come out to onto the side for an open pass... Instead Nash had to throw a heavily contested dribble pass closer to the defender.

Howard's IQ is just too low to argue Nash there. Hence why Howard was/is not a dominant scoring/offensive big man.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,411
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: "I didn't appreciate Shaq until I played with Dwight"- Kobe on Shaq's Podcast 

Post#62 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:58 pm

JRSwish15 wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:Why can't Kobe behave with any class? I've grown to really appreciate Kobe on the court but off the court all I ever feel is embarrassment for the guy due to the things he can't help but saying. Kobe is officially incapable of being the bigger man.

Agreed. Kobe is a great talent, but is honestly the only athlete I know who is unwilling to take responsibility for anything. It's pretty pathetic how 2 years later he's still trying to make sure everyone blames Dwight for what a failure their one season together was. :roll:

Steve Freaking Nash was calling out Dwight at one point...
The Realist
Starter
And1: 1,496

Post#63 » by The Realist » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:27 pm

People still trying to make it seem the Lakers failing was all the injured Howard, who btw was the only reason the Lakers had a defense. Meanwhile Kobe is jacking up 25 shots (= balling out to Kobe stans) and getting lit up by everyone he guarded.
meh
The Realist
Starter
And1: 1,496

Post#64 » by The Realist » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:29 pm

Striders wrote:This is hilarious for two reasons:

1. Kobe still can't let go of the fact that Dwight basically told him to screw off, and didn't care to take any of his crap like his other frontcourt teammates have in the past.

2. It took Kobe like 10 years to realize that Shaq was an elite player.

This is especially damning on Kobe's legacy tbh, hyperbole or not. There is no more illusions on him having a high basketball IQ etc etc., might even have to drop him out of my top-20.
meh
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#65 » by ken6199 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:35 pm

The Realist wrote:People still trying to make it seem the Lakers failing was all the injured Howard, who btw was the only reason the Lakers had a defense. Meanwhile Kobe is jacking up 25 shots (= balling out to Kobe stans) and getting lit up by everyone he guarded.

Pau was in and out, Artest was injured, Nash was pretty much injured all the time, yet it's nothing about Kobe according to Kobe.

Last year, knowing at his age his body would not sustain heavy minutes, but he insisted playing 35 mpg jacking up 20 shots with a career low 37% FG (he never dropped below 40% in his career), with the only purpose to pass MJ on all time scoring list before his inevitable bust, which happened right after he passed MJ. Then he was like 'Fk it, I am done, u guys continue to suck without me'. That's why whether as a player or a human being, Duncan >>> Kobe.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
indilakeshow
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#66 » by indilakeshow » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:57 pm

The Realist wrote:People still trying to make it seem the Lakers failing was all the injured Howard, who btw was the only reason the Lakers had a defense. Meanwhile Kobe is jacking up 25 shots (= balling out to Kobe stans) and getting lit up by everyone he guarded.

I think the story that gets lost in that season is that the Lakers were one of the best teams (if not the best) according to records after the all star game BECAUSE Kobe started taking over. They tossed the offense and put the ball in Kobe's hands over Nash's and they team did well. Unfortunately its also the reason Kobe has become so injury prone too.
GreenWithEnvy wrote:
Lakers have absolutely nothing besides Kobe and Lamar to get Andre Miller...give it up Laker fans.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#67 » by NinjaSheppard » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Its kinda funny how everyone just brings up offense during Dwight's Laker season.

Dwight was immature and did not do what was best for his team on that end but Kobe was just as reckless on the other end of the court. He was one of the worst defensive players in the league and it was purely due to a lack of effort. Even Lakers blogs started calling him out on it and over the second half the season the Lakers actually played good defense as long as Kobe wasn't on the court.

Everyone on the Lakers deserves blame. Dwight just got singled out because he was the only one that left and because he was the easiest target.
indilakeshow
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#68 » by indilakeshow » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:00 pm

The Realist wrote:
Striders wrote:This is hilarious for two reasons:

1. Kobe still can't let go of the fact that Dwight basically told him to screw off, and didn't care to take any of his crap like his other frontcourt teammates have in the past.

2. It took Kobe like 10 years to realize that Shaq was an elite player.

This is especially damning on Kobe's legacy tbh, hyperbole or not. There is no more illusions on him having a high basketball IQ etc etc., might even have to drop him out of my top-20.

Wait, where did he say he didn't realize Shaq was an elite player? Sucks that you might have to drop him out of your top 20 though. Anything I can do to get you to reconsider? :)
GreenWithEnvy wrote:

Lakers have absolutely nothing besides Kobe and Lamar to get Andre Miller...give it up Laker fans.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#69 » by druggas » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:15 pm

BBall Loyalty wrote:Funny how Dwight supposedly was the problem for the Lakers struggles that year but the Lakers still desperately tried to retain him and most Lakers fans are still salty that he chose to leave LA.

Not true. A billboard was erected as a last minute gimmick, and as fans, we couldn't push Howard out fast enough!
wadekim7
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#70 » by wadekim7 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:
wadekim7 wrote:Poor D12. He's under Chris Mihm and Kwame Brown's tier when it comes to being Kobe's teammate.

But really, he didn't appreciate Shaq when Chris Mihm was the starting C?

You can't expect Chris Mihm to perform as supposedly the best Center in NBA

Even so, if you're a fierce competitor like Kobe, you'd be pretty down on Mihm.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#71 » by Mylie10 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Will Kobe finally reveal how Kobe's a$$ taste in the podcast?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQW-FWMcBo[/youtube]
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#72 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Dwight Howard came back early from injury and had to work himself into shape. Even then, he was still all-nba caliber that year imo.

LA has this weird thing where they never blame Bryant for any of his short comings, and any success the Lakers had usually just goes to him. I suppose I don't blame Bryant and big time LAL homers for putting it all on Howard, that team was like the most underachieving team in history, they had to save face somehow. I feel just as bad for Pau Gasol, that guy got **** on even when he was healthy and playing decent in other seasons.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#73 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:58 pm

This thread encouraged me to watch some video of the Suns from the Nash/Amare days. Thread success OP, thanks. I had forgotten how much fun that team was to watch.
wutevahung
Pro Prospect
And1: 665

Post#74 » by wutevahung » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:35 pm

I just like to point out that Kobe can say that as a praise to Shaq but not a diss to Dwight. I mean, everyone knows Shaq is more dominant than Dwight, so why is that a diss to simply pointing out a fact? and It sounds more regret on his immaturity than a diss on Dwight.

and for every poster have been labeling the 2012 lakers a "failure", let me ask you this,
How many active players can realistically replace Kobe on that lakers team and lead them to a better result in the same circumstances?

remember, the players were injured, coaches were fired, running new offense middle of season and etc.

You also have to consider, Kobe was the PG of that team not because he wanted to, but because Nash was super limited after his injury, which affected him even the next two seasons. If you replace Kobe with a player like Durant, who is going to make plays for everyone else? (for the record, I think Lebron, Durant were the only two players that year could have led Lakers to a better record)

The lakers team, once they had the locker room meeting where they collectively decided to run the offense through Kobe, had the BEST RECORD in the league during the stretch. I don't blame that season on anyone, it's just bad lucks with the ways the injuries piled up. I love how many posters just like to attack lakers fans for being "salty", when most of us are simply pointing out the facts that outsiders were unaware of; but of course, by accepting the facts, they might have to change their stance, hence the easy "LOL KOBE SUX NO D GTFO CANCER" comments.

I would also like to point out, I didn't diss Dwight one bit. I don't think he played perfect, but I think he played well enough for Lakers to have the best record once healthy, and that was good enough for me. The only two things I blame for the season were the injuries, and Jimmy's ego for desiring to prove that he can build a winner without Phil.
Rupert Murdoch
Starter
And1: 1,906

Post#75 » by Rupert Murdoch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Kobe: "I also didn't appreciate the term "no means no" until I had my two daughters."
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#76 » by Jody Smokz » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Im not a fan of how Kobe has handled a lot of things but I find it extremely funny that people that are probably not even as half as successful as he was in their own walks of life try to critique his way of doing things. It's like an entry level employee trying to critique or suggest the CEO of the company could/should have done things a different way to success.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#77 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:Im not a fan of how Kobe has handled a lot of things but I find it extremely funny that people that are probably not even as half as successful as he was in their own walks of life try to critique his way of doing things. It's like an entry level employee trying to critique or suggest the CEO of the company could/should have done things a different way to success.

It..really isn't anything like that at all, and how do you know what everyone here does for a living, lol?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,212

Post#78 » by LLJ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:08 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:Why can't Kobe behave with any class? I've grown to really appreciate Kobe on the court but off the court all I ever feel is embarrassment for the guy due to the things he can't help but saying. Kobe is officially incapable of being the bigger man.

LOL. The things Kobe says these days aren't half as insulting as what players used to say about each other back in the 80s and 90s. It's just that social media blows everything up more.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#79 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:22 pm

"I didn't appreciate Dwight until Sacre became a starter."
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#80 » by Slava » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:28 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Dwight Howard came back early from injury and had to work himself into shape. Even then, he was still all-nba caliber that year imo.

LA has this weird thing where they never blame Bryant for any of his short comings, and any success the Lakers had usually just goes to him. I suppose I don't blame Bryant and big time LAL homers for putting it all on Howard, that team was like the most underachieving team in history, they had to save face somehow. I feel just as bad for Pau Gasol, that guy got **** on even when he was healthy and playing decent in other seasons.

Its not really weird and same goes in any city with an iconic player, like NY with Jeter etc.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to The General Board