Kobe on Shaq's Podcast

Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Re: "I didn't appreciate Shaq until I played with Dwight"- Kobe on Shaq's Podcast 

Post#101 » by Baseline Runner » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:46 am

SF88 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Anyone got the gif of Howard trying to Nash that he's passing to him the wrong way under the basket?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TBz2phCgY[/youtube]

That play encapsulates everything wrong with Howard as a basketball player. All he had to do was move 2 feet to get in a position for Nash to pass it to him and he'd be in a great spot for an easy shot but instead he just stands there with his hands up like an idiot.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Re: "I didn't appreciate Shaq until I played with Dwight"- Kobe on Shaq's Podcast 

Post#102 » by AussieBuck » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:03 am

His positioning has nothing on him thinking he can lecture Nash on how to pass to him. Nash's face from 40 seconds on is awesome. :lol:
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#103 » by Ganji » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:46 pm

I found this to be awesome

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxkCSjcoX2E[/youtube]
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#104 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:54 pm

wait, this pick and roll news is new to me.
he didnt want to run the PICK AND ROLL WITH NASH
that is literally like rondo playing with hakeem, hakeem asking for a post up, and rondo being like
nah im gonna shoot a 3
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#105 » by BallerTalk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Baseline Runner wrote:
SF88 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Anyone got the gif of Howard trying to Nash that he's passing to him the wrong way under the basket?

That play encapsulates everything wrong with Howard as a basketball player. All he had to do was move 2 feet to get in a position for Nash to pass it to him and he'd be in a great spot for an easy shot but instead he just stands there with his hands up like an idiot.

Really?
I can only assume your perception is being colored by predetermined feelings regarding Howard in contrast to Nash.

Let's set aside personal biases and see if you see what I see:

Nash violated 2 cardinal rules for guards
1) NEVER dribble into a crowd on the baseline (or sideline) because that allows the out-of-bounds line to act as an additional defender.
2) Avoid attempting bounce passes to big men in traffic.

Howard did what most bigs are taught to do: Flash to the front of the rim whenever your man leaves to double.
It was the right move as 6' 11" Dwight Howard ended up in the paint with 6' 2" Mario Chalmers guarding him.
In that situation are you are suggesting that he should have gone away from the rim? Does that really make sense?

Honestly, any coach from grade school up (or any knowledgeable basketball fan for that matter) would tell you that it is best to throw the ball up at the rim and let your big man go get it, especially if that big man is perhaps the best leaper in the league.

Nash made a mistake passing it down low where the guards had a greater shot at it, as evidenced by the ensuing turnover.
Presumably frustration was part of the reason he bristled at Howard but only he knows if he was really faulting Howard or he realized his own error.

Anyway, there's a reason you throw it up to Dwight Howard even if you're trapped on the baseline:
https://youtu.be/IGD4xLGILzs?t=20s
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#106 » by Baseline Runner » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:45 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:
SF88 wrote:

Really?
I can only assume your perception is being colored by predetermined feelings regarding Howard in contrast to Nash.

1) NEVER dribble into a crowd on the baseline (or sideline) because that allows the out-of-bounds line to act as an additional defender.

Howard did what most bigs are taught to do: Flash to the front of the rim whenever your man leaves to double.
It was the right move as 6' 11" Dwight Howard ended up in the paint with 6' 2" Mario Chalmers guarding him.
In that situation are you are suggesting that he should have gone away from the rim? Does that really make sense?

Honestly, any coach from grade school up (or any knowledgeable basketball fan for that matter) would tell you that it is best to throw the ball up at the rim and let your big man go get it, especially if that big man is perhaps the best leaper in the league.

Nash made a mistake passing it down low where the guards had a greater shot at it, as evidenced by the ensuing turnover.
Presumably frustration was part of the reason he bristled at Howard but only he knows if he was really faulting Howard or he realized his own error.

Anyway, there's a reason you throw it up to Dwight Howard even if you're trapped on the baseline:

Nash did not play well there. He got trapped in the baseline, happens all of the time to guards. And besides that was Nash's style, he was a reckless player which led to both many great plays and many turnovers. But any basketball player worth his two cents tries to get in position to help the trapped player. Howard just stood there where he was well defended and it was impossible for Nash to pass to him. He could have moved or even bodied his man out of the way and Nash could have easily passed it to him.

It almost looked like he was trying to make Nash look bad there because that turnover could have been so easily avoided.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#107 » by Goudelock » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Because this has turned into a thread about the 2012-13 Lakers, here's some things that I'd like to say about that legendary team:

1: Nash wasn't healthy at all.

2: Howard and Gasol took turns being injured.

3: Pringles tried to turn Pau Gasol into a stretch 4.

4: Going from Mike Brown to Pringles was a bad idea.

5: At one point, Earl Freaking Clark was the best big on the roster.

6: Does anyone remember Kobe Bryant going through that stretch where he was assist-whoring like Rondo?

7: MWP was the only player on that team who seemed to care about defense.

8: Whatever starting PG who played the Lakers seemed to go for 25-10.

9: Kobe was so bad at off-ball defense that year.

10: Dwight Howard was awful at the FT line.

11: The media attention that team got was incredibly annoying.

12: Kobe Bryant was the MVP of the league during the final quarter of the season. He carried the Lakers to the playoffs down the stretch.

13: Dwight Howard wasn't THAT bad on defense that season, just not dominant like he was in Orlando. And he lead the league in rebounds.

14: Antawn Jamison got minutes on that team.

15: They should of hired Phil Jackson.

16: Jodie Meeks was OK.

17: Steve Nash should've stayed in Phoenix.

18: I hated that team.

19: Most Laker fans seemed to hate that team too.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by BallerTalk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:23 pm

Baseline Runner wrote: Howard just stood there where he was well defended and it was impossible for Nash to pass to him. He could have moved or even bodied his man out of the way and Nash could have easily passed it to him.

It almost looked like he was trying to make Nash look bad there because that turnover could have been so easily avoided.

Come on man stop it. :lol:
Freeze the video at 0:07 and you will see that Howard was alone in the paint with only Mario Chalmers within arms reach of him.
He had his hands up begging for the pass up top!!!!

No one in their right mind would say he should moved away from the basket in that situation.
Nash simply panicked and tried to make a difficult bounce pass through traffic.

Think what you will about each player outside of this exchange but this situation is pretty cut & dried.
Nash messed up and bristled when Dwight told him he should have thrown it up.

Honestly, it just one of the things you can chalk up to lack of chemistry and familiarity.
When Howard got to Houston it took them nearly half the season to develop confidence and chemistry on the lob to Howard as he is one of the few players it is nearly impossible to over-throw.
Sadly the team in LA never got a chance to really develop that type of familiarity due to a litany of injuries almost from the start.
Nevertheless, faulting Dwight here is asinine.
-
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Re: RE: Re: "I didn't appreciate Shaq until I played with Dwight"- Kobe on Shaq's Podcast 

Post#109 » by TwoStarz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:38 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote: Howard just stood there where he was well defended and it was impossible for Nash to pass to him. He could have moved or even bodied his man out of the way and Nash could have easily passed it to him.

Come on man stop it. :lol:
Freeze the video at 0:07 and you will see that Howard was alone in the paint with only Mario Chalmers within arms reach of him.
He had his hands up begging for the pass up top!!!!
[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QsMBNn1EcR4/VeHXbPDnNhI/AAAAAAAAf20/To-1D7RR8XE/s1600/Steve%2BNash%2Bheated%2Bexchange%2Bwith%2BDwight%2BHoward.mp4_snapshot_00.07_%255B2015.08.29_10.59.29%255D.jpg[/img]

No one in their right mind would say he should moved away from the basket in that situation.
Nash simply panicked and tried to make a difficult bounce pass through traffic.

Think what you will about each player outside of this exchange but this situation is pretty cut & dried.
Nash messed up and bristled when Dwight told him he should have thrown it up.

Honestly, it just one of the things you can chalk up to lack of chemistry and familiarity.
When Howard got to Houston it took them nearly half the season to develop confidence and chemistry on the lob to Howard as he is one of the few players it is nearly impossible to over-throw.
Sadly the team in LA never got a chance to really develop that type of familiarity due to a litany of injuries almost from the start.
Nevertheless, faulting Dwight here is asinine.

And Nash was some how suppose to pass the ball to him when there is a backboard between the 2?
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#110 » by tosi » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:46 pm

I think Shaq was that much better of a player than Dwight. Man I remember his LSU days, he was such a beast.

Shaq was such a dominant force. It's having a Ferrari then going Mustang. A Mustang is great and all but man the Ferrari was Amazing.
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by BallerTalk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:59 pm

PockyCandy wrote:Because this has turned into a thread about the 2012-13 Lakers, here's some things that I'd like to say about that legendary team:

Spoiler:

6: Does anyone remember Kobe Bryant going through that stretch where he was assist-whoring like Rondo?

12: Kobe Bryant was the MVP of the league during the final quarter of the season. He carried the Lakers to the playoffs down the stretch.

13: Dwight Howard wasn't THAT bad on defense that season, just not dominant like he was in Orlando. And he lead the league in rebounds.

Lol, I couldn't agree more.
That's why trying to blame it on any ONE player is ridiculous.
Also people forget how good that team was starting to get during the brief period they were relatively healthy and developing some semblance of chemistry.

BTW, I would add that the reported reason for them not hiring Phil Jackson (Jim Buss vendetta) is why I would hold management as the most culpable entity in that whole debacle.
They had probably the best frontcourt in the league....yet he hired D'Antoni.
They had two of the greatest defenders in recent NBA history...yet he hired D'Antoni.
They had a talented but aging backcourt.....yet he hired D'Antoni.
His two stars actually agreed on one thing and both wanted (11 rings!!!) Phil Jackson...and yet he hired D'Antoni.

I'm not really a big fan of Phil Jackson personally, but clearly he is the guy you would want with that roster.
Everything about Mike D'Antoni was contrary to how that team was constructed.
-
Camboflage
Veteran
And1: 1,725

Post#112 » by Camboflage » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:07 pm

That moment went Dwight yelled at Nash was when i realized this guy was a POS.

Same sweeping hook and couldn't make a FT to save his life, yet the NBA marketed him as the most adored guy at one point.

If only Bynum could stay healthy and wasn't a headcase, he was going to be the best center in the league.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#113 » by druggas » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:16 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:
SF88 wrote:

Really?

That's funny, you're a Houston fan.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by BallerTalk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:24 pm

druggas wrote:That's funny, you're a Houston fan.

I'm flattered that you think that, but more accurately I'm an NBA fan.

I'm not sure how that's relevant though.
Did you find anything Houston related in my observation?
Or is it that since you can't contradict it you are searching for a way to dismiss it?
-
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#115 » by druggas » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:40 pm

BallerTalk wrote:

Or is it that since you can't contradict it you are searching for a way to dismiss it?

Your man crush on Howard shows how biased you are. Quit pretending!
JRSwish15
Ballboy
And1: 33

Post#116 » by JRSwish15 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:41 pm

PockyCandy wrote:Because this has turned into a thread about the 2012-13 Lakers, here's some things that I'd like to say about that legendary team:

There are a few things wrong with this post

2: Dwight played in 76 games, so him and Gasol were not taking turns being injured
5: Dwight played in 76 games, so acting like Clark was the best big on the roster for a long stretch is disingenuous
10: Dwight was expected to be awful at the FT line
11: You want to complain about media attention? :lol: A Finals appearance was supposed to be the worst case scenario for that group, so of course there was going to be media attention when the team fell epically short of expectations
12: Kobe was NEVER the MVP at any point that season! LBJ was just on another level compared to anyone that year
14: Antawn was still a decent player that season, and got offers from several other teams

The rest of your points are pretty spot on
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#117 » by Goudelock » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:54 pm

JRSwish15 wrote:There are a few things wrong with this post

2: Dwight played in 76 games, so him and Gasol were not taking turns being injured

Neither one ever seemed to be healthy. Dwight Howard had a back issue that seemed to flare up constantly, and Pau Gasol played in only 49 games and was in and out of the lineup.

5: Dwight played in 76 games, so acting like Clark was the best big on the roster for a long stretch is disingenuous

Clark wasn't the best big on the roster for a long stretch, but he was for a short stretch (Earlsanity), which is crazy.

10: Dwight was expected to be awful at the FT line

I didn't expect him to shoot >50 percent. He usually hovered around 58-60% before that year.

11: You want to complain about media attention? :lol: A Finals appearance was supposed to be the worst case scenario for that group, so of course there was going to be media attention when the team fell epically short of expectations

There were other, better teams that deserved more attention than they got.

12: Kobe was NEVER the MVP at any point that season! LBJ was just on another level compared to anyone that year

I will disagree with you there.

14: Antawn was still a decent player that season, and got offers from several other teams

The rest of your points are pretty spot on
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by BallerTalk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:02 pm

druggas wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

Come on kid, now you're just being laughable.
Since I don't mindlessly bash the dude like you, it's a man crush?

Tell you what, point out one thing I've written that is inaccurately slanted in Howard's favor.
If you can't, then admit you've got nothing and stop the nonsense.
Sooner or later you have to stop acting like a bitter ex.
-
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#119 » by Fitz303 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:34 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
druggas wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

Come on kid, now you're just being laughable.
Since I don't mindlessly bash the dude like you, it's a man crush?

Tell you what, point out one thing I've written that is inaccurately slanted in Howard's favor.
If you can't, then admit you've got nothing and stop the nonsense.
Sooner or later you have to stop acting like a bitter ex.

You've continued to insist that the pass that Nash made was not the correct one. He's directly underneath the basket (not to the side of it, like Howard was in the clip you posted). He couldnt go up from there (as he was telling Howard after) because there is a backboard above his head, and gave him a perfect bounce pass, that went right to him. Instead of grabbing the ball, or just accepting that he missed it, he blamed one of the best passers of all time. That's what you've pointed out, that is inaccurately slanted in Howard's favor
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Re: Kobe on Shaq's Podcast 

Post#120 » by ImChillin01 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:32 pm

yaaar wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:IDGAF what Lakers fans say, that beef was def real

Who says the beef wasn't real? Shaq started sniping at Kobe as soon as he got there.

Lakers fans always blame media for beef, thinking they hyped it up and wasnt much tension between the two. But we all know that is BS

Return to The General Board