Kobe on Shaq's Podcast

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,139

Re: Kobe on Shaq's Podcast 

Post#121 » by druggas » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:58 pm

ImChillin01 wrote:
yaaar wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:IDGAF what Lakers fans say, that beef was def real

Who says the beef wasn't real? Shaq started sniping at Kobe as soon as he got there.

Lakers fans always blame media for beef, thinking they hyped it up and wasnt much tension between the two. But we all know that is BS

Not true. We blame the media for trying to keep it in the news every day to prolong it.
mvpshaq32
Starter
And1: 2,265

Re: "I didn't appreciate Shaq until I played with Dwight"- Kobe on Shaq's Podcast 

Post#122 » by mvpshaq32 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:19 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:
SF88 wrote:

That play encapsulates everything wrong with Howard as a basketball player. All he had to do was move 2 feet to get in a position for Nash to pass it to him and he'd be in a great spot for an easy shot but instead he just stands there with his hands up like an idiot.

Really?
I can only assume your perception is being colored by predetermined feelings regarding Howard in contrast to Nash.

Let's set aside personal biases and see if you see what I see:

Nash violated 2 cardinal rules for guards
1) NEVER dribble into a crowd on the baseline (or sideline) because that allows the out-of-bounds line to act as an additional defender.
2) Avoid attempting bounce passes to big men in traffic.

Howard did what most bigs are taught to do: Flash to the front of the rim whenever your man leaves to double.
It was the right move as 6' 11" Dwight Howard ended up in the paint with 6' 2" Mario Chalmers guarding him.
In that situation are you are suggesting that he should have gone away from the rim? Does that really make sense?

Honestly, any coach from grade school up (or any knowledgeable basketball fan for that matter) would tell you that it is best to throw the ball up at the rim and let your big man go get it, especially if that big man is perhaps the best leaper in the league.

Nash made a mistake passing it down low where the guards had a greater shot at it, as evidenced by the ensuing turnover.
Presumably frustration was part of the reason he bristled at Howard but only he knows if he was really faulting Howard or he realized his own error.

Anyway, there's a reason you throw it up to Dwight Howard even if you're trapped on the baseline:
https://youtu.be/IGD4xLGILzs?t=20s

Now come on...

Nash didn't dribble into the baseline. It was a designed backdoor cut for an easy layup that was cut off by Howard's man on the switch. Miami played good defense after Nash picked up his dribble(which he shouldn't have done). Howard was correct in flashing to the bucket, but put himself at an awkward and risky angle for Nash to pass it. Nash should've thrown it out to #6 instead of bouncing it to Howard. It was terrible communication on all ends, but Howard is dumb for blaming Nash on not throwing it up to him.
Seabass777
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,718

Post#123 » by Seabass777 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:20 pm

The High Cyde wrote:Shaq has a podcast? Didn't even know until now haha

You a One Piece fan? Nice we should talk One Piece am a big fan as well.
"Til the last second...Til the last man... We Fight! We Fight! We Fight!"-Together We Rise. #HEATLifer...
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Re: "I didn't appreciate Shaq until I played with Dwight"- Kobe on Shaq's Podcast 

Post#124 » by BallerTalk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:25 pm

Fitz303 wrote:You've continued to insist that the pass that Nash made was not the correct one. He's directly underneath the basket (not to the side of it, like Howard was in the clip you posted). He couldnt go up from there (as he was telling Howard after) because there is a backboard above his head, and gave him a perfect bounce pass, that went right to him. Instead of grabbing the ball, or just accepting that he missed it, he blamed . That's what you've pointed out, that is inaccurately slanted in Howard's favor

I think I see the problem.
Apparently you and I have viewed two entirely different clips from entirely different games.

1) What you are implying was a "correct" pass, most others have acknowledged was a bad pass by Nash. I guess that comes down to where you stand on the practicality of a bounce pass to a big man in traffic.

2) Where you say Nash was "directly underneath the basket" my clip shows that he was barely in the lane (toes on the outside line) when he began attempting the pass.
Of course I assume that you know the backboard (6 feet) is not as wide as the lane (16 feet). Basic math tells you that leaves an area of 5 feet of open space in the lane on either side of the backboard.

3) Where you say the backboard was "above his head" it was actually several feet away (see above.)

4)What you describe as "a perfect bounce pass" first bounced off Chalmers' foot, then was tipped by Chalmers' hand, then again tipped by Bosh into LeBron's hands where a textbook fastbreak off a turnover began.
The part where you say the ball went right to Howard doesn't exist in the clip most of us saw.

So either we all watched a different clip...or you're just flat out wrong.

Or perhaps I'm just foolish for thinking a player we agree is "one of the best passers of all time" should be able to find a better way to get the ball to his athletic big man (being guarded by a 6'2" point guard) other than a contested bounce pass through traffic.
Especially when that big man is directly telling him to just throw it up.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,602

Post#125 » by KingFox » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:54 pm

Baseline Runner wrote:
SF88 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Anyone got the gif of Howard trying to Nash that he's passing to him the wrong way under the basket?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TBz2phCgY[/youtube]

That play encapsulates everything wrong with Howard as a basketball player. All he had to do was move 2 feet to get in a position for Nash to pass it to him and he'd be in a great spot for an easy shot but instead he just stands there with his hands up like an idiot.

:lol: i cant believe he was considered the best big in the league at one point. shows how crappy the list of Bigs must have been. Yikes
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,139

Post#126 » by druggas » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:47 am

BigCuz wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:
SF88 wrote:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TBz2phCgY[/youtube]

:lol: i cant believe he was considered the best big in the league at one point. shows how crappy the list of Bigs must have been. Yikes

And he had Nash to play with and he couldn't even get along with him. Kobe was right about Howard. He's just a clown.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,706

Post#127 » by AussieBuck » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:21 am

There is no way to throw the ball up without the man on Nash's back deflecting it.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,281

Post#128 » by Jedi32 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:38 am

ImChillin01 wrote:
yaaar wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:IDGAF what Lakers fans say, that beef was def real

Who says the beef wasn't real? Shaq started sniping at Kobe as soon as he got there.

Lakers fans always blame media for beef, thinking they hyped it up and wasnt much tension between the two. But we all know that is BS

Spoken like someone who has no clue what he's talking about. :lol:
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#129 » by BallerTalk » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:28 am

AussieBuck wrote:There is no way to throw the ball up without the man on Nash's back deflecting it.

That was a very real possibility, especially since Nash had already trapped himself between the defender and the baseline when he picked up his dribble.
However, you have to agree that it would have been better to take a chance with throwing it over Chalmers' head as opposed to trying to throw it through his feet.

Bottom line is Nash made a series of errors that ended in a turnover. That's hardly unprecedented in basketball.
The only reason it's even noteworthy is because he bristled at Dwight telling him he should have thrown it up (which, again, is easily attributable to a lack of chemistry and familiarity).

When the season ended in massive failure, those looking for someone to blame used this as one of the reasons to point the finger at Howard but the evidence clearly shows different.
-
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#130 » by AussieBuck » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:50 am

At all points other than when Nash turns back towards the basket at the end he has a guy directly between him and the basket. It's literally impossible for Nash to throw the ball up until he turns back and at that point there isn't an angle unless he throws a 20 foot lob over the top of the backboard. Besides that when you're a basketball idiot you don't yell at the one of the greatest pgs of all time about how he should be passing the ball even if you suspect you are in the right which he clearly wasn't.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Makaveli2
Junior
And1: 56

Post#131 » by Makaveli2 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:18 am

You seem like a bias Lakers fan. D12 was obviously right in leaving the Lakers, get over it. Kobe needs to mature up and get over it as well. He should had just said "I didn't learn to appreciate shaq till later in my career". But nope he had to be a dick and showed he's still the same guy who's never taken responsibility.
D12 was smart in leaving. Him and harden are a much better pair and are one of the top teams in the league, while the Lakers are still being rebuilt and still owe first round draft picks to other teams.
It's over two seasons now and rockets and their fans are still happy with picking him up unlike what y'all predicted.
druggas wrote:
BigCuz wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:

And he had Nash to play with and he couldn't even get along with him. Kobe was right about Howard. He's just a clown.
Makaveli2
Junior
And1: 56

Post#132 » by Makaveli2 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:22 am

So do you agree that Kobe should had bowed down to shaq, one of the greatest dominate centers of all time and perhaps they could had won more rings then Jordan. That's why I blame the breakup on Kobe more then on shaq. Shaq was also older.

AussieBuck wrote:At all points other than when Nash turns back towards the basket at the end he has a guy directly between him and the basket. It's literally impossible for Nash to throw the ball up until he turns back and at that point there isn't an angle unless he throws a 20 foot lob over the top of the backboard. Besides that when you're a basketball idiot you don't yell at the one of the greatest pgs of all time about how he should be passing the ball even if you suspect you are in the right which he clearly wasn't.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#133 » by BallerTalk » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:43 am

AussieBuck wrote:At all points other than when Nash turns back towards the basket at the end he has a guy directly between him and the basket. It's literally impossible for Nash to throw the ball up until he turns back and at that point there isn't an angle unless he throws a 20 foot lob over the top of the backboard. Besides that when you're a basketball idiot you don't yell at the one of the greatest pgs of all time about how he should be passing the ball even if you suspect you are in the right which he clearly wasn't.

:o :( :lol:

My fault.
I mistakenly believed you were capable of objectivity.

Carry on.
-
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#134 » by AussieBuck » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:46 am

Eh, both guys were/are dicks.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#135 » by AussieBuck » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:50 am

BallerTalk wrote:

:o :( :lol:

My fault.
I mistakenly believed you were capable of objectivity.

Carry on.

It's just a basketball play man, interpret it how you like. :dontknow:
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by BallerTalk » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:41 am

I'll say this and be done with it.

It would be one thing if all of this nonsense was based solely on skewed perspective or faulty memories,
but when you have incontrovertible video proof it takes a special kind of ignorance to stick with a false narrative.

They said Nash was trapped under the basket. The video showed he wasn't even in the paint.
They said Dwight was demanding the ball while he was well guarded in the paint. The video showed the only person in arms reach was Mario Chalmers.
They said the backboard was in the way. The video showed the backboard was at least 5 feet away.
They said Nash threw a great pass and Howard just fumbled it. The video shows the ball bounced off the foot of one Heat player and then to the hands of two others but never reached the grasp of Howard.

If you're honest, at some point you have to stop and say "Hey maybe I was mistaken here."
But I guess when the very video that was intended to damn Howard turns out to exonerate him that's a bitter pill for haters to swallow.

So now they are left with saying "How dare Howard say anything to Nash, even if he was wrong!"
All I can do now is laugh at the idiocy and admire the dedication. :wink:
-
Theoretic
Ballboy
And1: 287

Post#137 » by Theoretic » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:49 am

BallerTalk wrote:I'll say this and be done with it.

It would be one thing if all of this nonsense was based solely on skewed perspective or faulty memories,
but when you have incontrovertible video proof it takes a special kind of ignorance to stick with a false narrative.

They said Nash was trapped under the basket. The video showed he wasn't even in the paint.
They said Dwight was demanding the ball while he was well guarded in the paint. The video showed the only person in arms reach was Mario Chalmers.
They said the backboard was in the way. The video showed the backboard was at least 5 feet away.
They said Nash threw a great pass and Howard just fumbled it. The video shows the ball bounced off the foot of one Heat player and then to the hands of two others but never reached the grasp of Howard.

If you're honest, at some point you have to stop and say "Hey maybe I was mistaken here."
But I guess when the very video that was intended to damn Howard turns out to exonerate him that's a bitter pill for haters to swallow.

So now they are left with saying "How dare Howard say anything to Nash, even if he was wrong!"
All I can do now is laugh at the idiocy and admire the dedication. :wink:

Stop posting.
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#138 » by RightToCensor » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:30 am

Are people really judging Dwight Howard off that one play? Like that one play really is a good representation of his body of work throughout a course of a decade which includes a Finals appearance, multiple All-Star appearances, All-NBA awards, All-Defensive awards, and a MVP caliber season. Kobe Bryant played with Dwight Howard for one season, and not even a healthy Howard at that.

That Lakers team was bound to fail without a true general to lead the troops. All those egos could not be contained if they didn't start the season on the same page, and that's exactly what happened. Mike Brown or Mike D'Antoni were not right for that Head Coaching job. That's all just ignoring the injuries throughout the season with Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant.

If Kobe Bryant was expecting Dwight Howard to be his new age Shaq then he doesn't know how D12 operates. He's a great defender and pick and roll man that is efficient around the rim and can get you points in the post. Dwight's main calling card is defense while Shaq's is offense. Him playing with Pau Gasol in a systemless offense is a frontcourt pairing bound to fail.

There is some blame to come on the part of Howard for not being more cooperative with the situation, but let's not act like Kobe came out that situation as the bigger man.
chudak
Senior
And1: 292

Post#139 » by chudak » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:15 am

RightToCensor wrote:Are people really judging Dwight Howard off that one play? Like that one play really is a good representation of his body of work throughout a course of a decade which includes a Finals appearance, multiple All-Star appearances, All-NBA awards, All-Defensive awards, and a MVP caliber season. Kobe Bryant played with Dwight Howard for one season, and not even a healthy Howard at that.

That Lakers team was bound to fail without a true general to lead the troops. All those egos could not be contained if they didn't start the season on the same page, and that's exactly what happened. Mike Brown or Mike D'Antoni were not right for that Head Coaching job. That's all just ignoring the injuries throughout the season with Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant.

If Kobe Bryant was expecting Dwight Howard to be his new age Shaq then he doesn't know how D12 operates. He's a great defender and pick and roll man that is efficient around the rim and can get you points in the post. Dwight's main calling card is defense while Shaq's is offense. Him playing with Pau Gasol in a systemless offense is a frontcourt pairing bound to fail.

There is some blame to come on the part of Howard for not being more cooperative with the situation, but let's not act like Kobe came out that situation as the bigger man.

The way I get it is that Bryant took an issue with Shaq not doing all he can to improve himself etc. and being a diva overall - but then he had a chance to play with a bigger and lazier diva in Dwight :)

DH12 is (or was) undoubtedly a dominant player overall.

Actually I do not think Kobe would have a problem with DH being a great defender and pick and roll man that is efficient around the rim. Dwight is the one that wants to be a new age Shaq. The problem is that he is not.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#140 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:29 am

BallerTalk wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote: Howard just stood there where he was well defended and it was impossible for Nash to pass to him. He could have moved or even bodied his man out of the way and Nash could have easily passed it to him.

It almost looked like he was trying to make Nash look bad there because that turnover could have been so easily avoided.

Come on man stop it. :lol:
Freeze the video at 0:07 and you will see that Howard was alone in the paint with only Mario Chalmers within arms reach of him.
He had his hands up begging for the pass up top!!!!

No one in their right mind would say he should moved away from the basket in that situation.
Nash simply panicked and tried to make a difficult bounce pass through traffic.

Think what you will about each player outside of this exchange but this situation is pretty cut & dried.
Nash messed up and bristled when Dwight told him he should have thrown it up.

Honestly, it just one of the things you can chalk up to lack of chemistry and familiarity.
When Howard got to Houston it took them nearly half the season to develop confidence and chemistry on the lob to Howard as he is one of the few players it is nearly impossible to over-throw.
Sadly the team in LA never got a chance to really develop that type of familiarity due to a litany of injuries almost from the start.
Nevertheless, faulting Dwight here is asinine.

I guess when you're range only leaks out to four feet then you just stand there with your hands up, and then get on the guy trapped for not lobbing it to you even though he's trapped and the backboard wouldn't have allowed a lob.

Please just admit Howard's a total tool and he has been everywhere he's gone. You can't get on Nash for getting trapped when it happens all the time in every level of basketball. It happens. And when it happens you create space and passing lanes to help your team mate out. You don't stand in one spot like an idiot and wave your arms and not move.

They teach grade school kids this stuff....I'm not sure Howard even passed grade school.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to The General Board