Why people say Kristaps Porzingis is a more athletic Dirk Nowitzki?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,604

Re: Why people say Kristaps Porzingis is a more athletic Dirk Nowitzki? 

Post#41 » by DaGawd » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Choker wrote:Kristaps is probably just a bit more explosive than a young Dirk, but a young Dirk is a lot more coordinated. I don't know what it is about Kristaps, but he moves around like he's a robot being controlled by someone else from afar.

Probably the case where those extra 2 or so inches he has on Dirk comes into play, when discussing his awkwardness
BaF
Washington Wizards
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#42 » by Kabookalu » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Also, highlights of rookie Dirk:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLgT3GI-b4A[/youtube]

Him at the 1998 Nike Hoops Summit:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMSe1Injiw[/youtube]

Check out that crossover at 5:40

What's pretty interesting in this video is that he shows shades of the kinds of moves he's pulling off today. Some people have this perception of him that he was just a big guy that could shoot and developed these great ISO and post up moves out of nowhere.
Read on Twitter
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#43 » by Dcebucks11 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:45 pm

The only negative I have to say about Kristaps is that he doesn't look that fluid when he runs..
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#44 » by Kabookalu » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:51 pm

Dcebucks11 wrote:The only negative I have to say about Kristaps is that he doesn't look that fluid when he runs..

It may have to do with him being nervous. He looks way more fluid overseas than he did in Summer League. He moves around like he's uncomfortable in his own body.

Read on Twitter
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#45 » by bran muffin » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:13 pm

Dirk began his NBA career as a legit 7-footer at small forward. That fact right there should put an end to any doubt about the kind of athleticism he had in his youth.

I think people underestimate Dirk's athleticism because it's easy to forget he's a legit 7-footer. He moves and plays like a very slow small forward, and that makes him look un-athletic. But in reality he was an unusually mobile 7-footer. There are very few 7-footers who can do the things he used to do. Dirk may not have a lot of lift, but he was athletic in pretty much every other way.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,763

Post#46 » by HotelVitale » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:19 pm

Aderito wrote:Was searching for a compilation of Dirk's transition baskets, dribble pull ups & crossovers to no avail. Most clips are from 2005 & prior. The man was definitely not always the unathletic mummy many NBA fans have grown accustomed to seeing over recent years. Dude could move back in his athletic prime and had the handles of a wing. I only don't understand why people say Porzingis is a more a springier Dirk Nowitzki...

In those vids,Dirk runs the floor well and is a crafty and quick finisher, but he's not really 'athletic' in the usual sense of the word. His first step isn't at all quick and even as a young player he didn't have much bounce.

To my eyes, Porzingis has a bit more burst and hops, but his coordination isn't at Dirk's level and his skill level obviously isn't either (very few people can match Dirk's skill level). Give Dirk a little space anywhere--a foot behind the arc, a few inches from 18 ft, or a small lane or weird angle to the basket--and he's going to make you pay. His running/jumping athleticism is good enough to let him keep finding those spaces, but it's pretty average for a reasonably coordinated person that plays sports. Porzingis is starting way behind Dirk with that skill package, we'll have to see what he can use his height, agility, and raw skill potential to do.
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#47 » by lakerhater » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:08 pm

Extra Medium wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Extra Medium wrote:Porzingis is a much better athlete than Dirk. Athletes are bigger, faster and stronger nowadays than in Dirk's era. Dirk would be lucky to make a Division 1 college team nowadays with his athleticism.

I agree, he probably couldn't even make a middleschool team. :roll:

He could probably make a middle school team but middle school defenses are much more sophisticated than in Dirk's era. He'd have to adjust.

:lol:

Epic sarcasm. Well done.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#48 » by lakerhater » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:13 pm

Extra Medium wrote:Porzingis is a much better athlete than Dirk. Athletes are bigger, faster and stronger nowadays than in Dirk's era. Dirk would be lucky to make a Division 1 college team nowadays with his athleticism.

On a serious note Dirk nearly went to Cal Berkeley. In a selfish way I wish he would have gone there and brought greatness to Cal for at least one season.
lakerhater
General Manager

Post#49 » by lakerhater » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:22 pm

abark wrote:

But we have no idea what Dirk would look like today with modern training and nutrition.

:lol:

Sarcasm used well makes me happier than a itchy pig rubbing against a rail fence (Jed Clampett quote)
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,503

Post#50 » by Capn'O » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:43 pm

He's not really comparable to Dirk or Bargnani, imo. He has a chance to be a much better defensive player than either but, as many others have said, lacks ball handling skills and coordination to really be compared with those two on offense. FWIW, Bargs is most comparable to Dirk but he didn't have half of Dirk's love of the game. Porz does seem to have that but we'll see how it shakes out.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Porz is probably better from range than either. _Could_ become a better finisher, as well. I haven't really seen a comparable player before.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#51 » by SaintofKillers » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:30 am

What most people always fail to realize is that YOUNG Dirk Nowitzki was a total package on offense; he was LITERALLY a 7-foot shooting guard.

Unfortunately, a lot of the Nowitzki comparisons ONLY take into account TWO things: him being 7-foot and a floor spacer. Being white is optional. Hence, any 7-footer that can space the floor (and white) will always draw comparisons to him — despite the fact that 7-footers with this skill set are fairly common and could very well just be anybody. Brad Miller is a decent comparison and has most of the skills Porzingis currently have (i.e. triple threat, shotblocking) - why not say "more athletic Brad Miller" then?

Why does it always have to be Dirk when, at his age, he's not as dynamic or have the top-echelon shooting and shot-making ability (i.e. midrange, pump fake, off the dribble) of the young German?
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,817

Post#52 » by junot111 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:19 am

SaintofKillers wrote:What most people always fail to realize is that YOUNG Dirk Nowitzki was a total package on offense; he was LITERALLY a 7-foot shooting guard.

He literally wasn't..
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#53 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:58 am

Rick Smits
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#54 » by el13adnino » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:05 am

u guys bored?
:crazy:
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#55 » by SaintofKillers » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:34 am

junot111 wrote:
SaintofKillers wrote:What most people always fail to realize is that YOUNG Dirk Nowitzki was a total package on offense; he was LITERALLY a 7-foot shooting guard.

He literally wasn't..

If you want to call me out on using the word "literal", I never said that he played SG ;)

I said "7-foot shooting guard". Meaning, he was the literal example of that label which you often hear associated with guys like Jonathan Bender, Perry Jones III, etc.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#56 » by thamadkant » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:15 am

Lol so many people didn't get the sarcasm on the first page.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#57 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:53 am

why do so many people equate being under control as non-athletic?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#58 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:58 am

SanDavid wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:[*]

Wow....what a stupid response. You clearly know nothing about basketball.

pratik1994 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. LMAO.

Dirk would literally average 60 against any D1 team.

He was being sarcastic guys.

Yeah caught that after his second response....green font helps us who are atarded at times.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#59 » by Kabookalu » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:28 am

I thought it was an obvious parody at all the kids that bring up the "nutrition and modern training" argument in regards to the 60's.

Read on Twitter
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#60 » by Baseline Runner » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:31 am

bran muffin wrote:Dirk began his NBA career as a legit 7-footer at small forward. That fact right there should put an end to any doubt about the kind of athleticism he had in his youth.

I think people underestimate Dirk's athleticism because it's easy to forget he's a legit 7-footer. He moves and plays like a very slow small forward, and that makes him look un-athletic. But in reality he was an unusually mobile 7-footer. There are very few 7-footers who can do the things he used to do. Dirk may not have a lot of lift, but he was athletic in pretty much every other way.

Exactly, most 7 footers are awkward as hell.

Return to The General Board