Karl Malone " Analytics Doesn't Win Ball Games "

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Re: Karl Malone " Analytics Doesn't Win Ball Games " 

Post#261 » by Goudelock » Wed Oct 7, 2015 9:04 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Yoshun wrote:I'm convinced about 90% of the people "against" analytics have no idea how they're calculated or what they're used for.

where is the line drawn between the stats that were always compiled by teams and what we now call analytics? basketball strategy hasnt changed that much, when you account for the rule changes and the lack of dominant big men arriving in the league ( we can agree to disagree on the reasons).

I feel like this revolution is overstated. Analytics are useful...the same way coaches have always used every tool in their arsenal to try to understand what is going on. But because basketball is a continous game unless baseball, which is static, the predictive and comparative value is not nearly the same. Context plays a much bigger part and that is down to the coaching staff, just like its always been.

This is a great question? What I'd like to know is what kind of numbers/data the teams of the 80's used to prepare for their games.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,721

Post#262 » by Yoshun » Thu Oct 8, 2015 1:09 am

sikma42 wrote:
Yoshun wrote:I'm convinced about 90% of the people "against" analytics have no idea how they're calculated or what they're used for.

where is the line drawn between the stats that were always compiled by teams and what we now call analytics? basketball strategy hasnt changed that much, when you account for the rule changes and the lack of dominant big men arriving in the league ( we can agree to disagree on the reasons).

I feel like this revolution is overstated. Analytics are useful...the same way coaches have always used every tool in their arsenal to try to understand what is going on. But because basketball is a continous game unless baseball, which is static, the predictive and comparative value is not nearly the same. Context plays a much bigger part and that is down to the coaching staff, just like its always been.

Well I think the first thing we have to agree to disagree on is the idea basketball strategy hasn't changed very much.

I think the questions really are: have new analytics improved our understanding of basketball and, if so, how? Have they changed how we view players? If so, how? Have they changed how organizations construct teams and evaluate players? Etc....

I'm not sure analytics are overstated either. Most people who use and discuss analytics say exactly what you've said, they're another tool in the tool box.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#263 » by kodo » Thu Oct 8, 2015 1:44 am

stopstandthere wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
jcuuofd wrote:Karl Malone doesn't win championships.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was literally just about to post the same thing.

Yes right....... but is it required for a person to have ring(s) before voice out an opinion? :-?

Nobody is saying Karl Malone can't have an opinion, nobody is calling for censorship. People are disagreeing with him, because guys with championships (eg Steve Kerr) are firm believers in analytics.

And you can't blame them. If you're going to talk about what wins championships, I'd listen to the guy who won 6 over the guy with zero.
MarvinGaye1983
Junior
And1: 961

Re: Karl Malone 

Post#264 » by MarvinGaye1983 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 6:32 am

RSCD3_ wrote:Now that analytics has been around longer than 13 years he's appeared to grow uninterested in them.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Gfycat Video - Click to Play
Nycballa2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 356

Post#265 » by Nycballa2k » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Salted Meat wrote:Analytics, by definition, can't win ballgames, since it uses past data to create algorithms and show trends.

However, what it can do, is help put your players in the best position to win future ballgames. Of course, it's all up to the individual player whether or not they want to listen to the information that analytics provides.

This is what bothers me the most. If these players were smart they would focus strongly on analytics. So analytics tell you you take 40% from the same spot but only hitting them at at clip of 41% as opposed to 45% at a different spot on the floor...how is that not information that would help that player? The players are the ones producing these numbers with their play on the court. The eye test and analytics should usually give you a well-rounded conclusion
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#266 » by Ice Man » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:14 pm

At least Charles Barkley is smart, if lazy. Karl Malone is one dumb cluck. I wouldn't trust his opinion on any subject except for how to seduce a pre-teen.

Return to The General Board