Old Rookie Expectations/Discussion Thread

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Old Rookie Expectations/Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by Purch » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:50 pm

I've never been that high on him as a prospect, primarily due to his lack of Athleticism. I'm not sure if he'd be better as a Point guard, or as a playmaking shooting guard (Like Manu). Very few players can overcome a lack of athletisism, and usally it's done through craftiness or an elite handle.

So what do you think?
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Re: What do you expect of D'angelo Russell? 

Post#2 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:51 pm

A mix of Stephen Curry and Kendall Marshall.
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,532

Post#3 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:58 pm

I expect the Lakers to try him at PG. If he continues to struggle, I expect them to slide him at SG and be a playmaking SG like Manu but without the finishing abilities or atleast similar to Bradley Beal (average TS%, lots of mid range and not much getting to the line and some playmaking).

Personally, I don't see him being a superstar. I expect him to be in the same echelon with Conley at PG or Beal at SG.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
HTown_TMac
General Manager
And1: 222

Post#4 » by HTown_TMac » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:01 pm

76ciology wrote:I expect the Lakers to try him at PG. If he continues to struggle, I expect them to slide him at SG and be a playmaking SG like Manu but without the finishing abilities or atleast similar to Bradley Beal (average TS%, lots of mid range and not much getting to the line and some playmaking).

Personally, I don't see him being a superstar. I expect him to be in the same echelon with Conley at PG or Beal at SG.

As a fan of Russell, I'd be happy to see him become a Conley type player. He has a lot of work to become an elite guard, but it's still possible. He is the reason I will be watching the Lakers this season.
www.atrilli.net <- music blog
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,532

Post#5 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:05 pm

HTown_TMac wrote:
76ciology wrote:I expect the Lakers to try him at PG. If he continues to struggle, I expect them to slide him at SG and be a playmaking SG like Manu but without the finishing abilities or atleast similar to Bradley Beal (average TS%, lots of mid range and not much getting to the line and some playmaking).

As a fan of Russell, I'd be happy to see him become a Conley type player. He has a lot of work to become an elite guard, but it's still possible. He is the reason I will be watching the Lakers this season.

I'm always been in the Mudiay camp, and was not a fan of Russell BTW so there's not much bias in my Conley projection. Like what some scouts said about Evan Turner, he'll be good if he can translate smoothly to the PG position (borderline to star PG) but he'll just be above average at best IMO at SG (he'll be defended by longer and more athletic wings that negates his length advantage).
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#6 » by Slava » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:25 pm

I think the Lakers' 1-3 will not have a primary position as all three of Kobe, Clarkson and Russell can handle, shoot or play off the ball. After Kobe's gone the same will continue with Clarkson and Russell. I think Clarkson is better at PG as he has more explosiveness to break down the defense even without a screen-setter's help. Russell can work off screens to get open for jumpers or find open players once the defense is already scrambling.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Pjax4Prez
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#7 » by Pjax4Prez » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Personally I think the Lakers should do what the magic did with oladipo, even though they are two very different players.

Play him at point his rookie season and let him struggle and learn from his struggles. If it becomes obvious that he won't be a PG then you can slide him to two-guard the next season. This gives him a year to tighten his handles and work on his playmaking at the NBA level which will serve beneficial even if he is a playmaking 2
Flight 22
Sophomore
And1: 321

Post#8 » by Flight 22 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:38 pm

I expect a season plagued with turnovers, low fg%, and overall bad decision making. Honestly I am not too high on Russell, but hopefully he proves me wrong, as the more good players this league has, the more I enjoy it.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,811

Post#9 » by Mik317 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:50 pm

He will be the worst player in the history of forever. So bad that the Lakers will be disbanded and the league itself will fall into the fiery pits of hell.

but in all actuality, he will struggle a bit as most 19 year olds do..however, with Lou, Clarkson and hopefully Kobe, he won't be as exposed either. He will pick his spots and fit in as he gets used the speed, people probably will call him a bust because of this but he won't have to force things ASAP and should be able to grow into his body and speed.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
HTown_TMac
General Manager
And1: 222

Post#10 » by HTown_TMac » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 pm

76ciology wrote:
HTown_TMac wrote:

I'm always been in the Mudiay camp, and was not a fan of Russell BTW so there's not much bias in my Conley projection. Like what some scouts said about Evan Turner, he'll be good if he can translate smoothly to the PG position (borderline to star PG) but he'll just be above average at best IMO at SG (he'll be defended by longer and more athletic wings that negates his length advantage).

Honestly, I haven't gotten much into Mudiay, cause he hasn't played where I could watch, basically. He does seem very athletic and shot looks shaky, but he has a better chance of translating to NBA style. So, I hope both end up having good years.
www.atrilli.net <- music blog
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,367

Post#11 » by HoopsterJones » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:55 pm

It will take him time to adjust to the speed of the NBA. May not be a PG in the NBA, maybe a combo guard like Tyreke Evans when he entered the league.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#12 » by DrCoach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:55 pm

A lot of Turnovers and poor shooting percentages
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#13 » by rumdiary » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:59 pm

I think if he turns into an All Star it will be through his playmaking and leadership/confidence, not from anything else.

God-Tier:
Passing, awareness and decision-making.

High-Tier:
Shooting (especially mid-range, inside the 3) and ball control.

Low-Tier:
Speed, quickness and defensive ability. Ability to drive the lane.

He will average in the teens in scoring, with relatively high assists per game. His rookie season I think something like 11ppg / 5apg.
MoMan24
Analyst
And1: 3,615

Post#14 » by MoMan24 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:59 pm

I was rooting for Kobe and Lakers for many years, but it is sad to see what they are right now. I say that because I really feel their last two lotto picks will not be that good. Randle I am almost certain won't be very good, and Russell I don't have confidence in at all. Add the fact the Jim Buss is garbage, Kobe is not taking a backseat and they can't get free agency. This may be the beginning of a long drought which is a very real possibility. Maybe I am wrong but for there to be hope, Russell has to be a cornerstone talent, Kobe has to retire after this year and a new owner should take over.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,104

Post#15 » by JB2 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Peak: 20 - 22 ppg, 4 - 6rpg, 6 - 8apg

He'd going to be SG who plays a similar style to James Harden with a little more Nash like vision to his game.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,565

Post#16 » by jpengland » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:14 pm

8 and 4 on sub 40%.

He's going to be a very good player eventually IMO. But on that dunpster fire of a team, with Kobe trying to score 30 a game, he's going to struggle.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#17 » by Masterfully » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:19 pm

I expect within 100 games LA will realize he is a SG and play him at that spot. At that point his career will start to progress in a positive way.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#18 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:21 pm

76ciology wrote:
HTown_TMac wrote:

I agree with what you say about his strengths and weaknesses at either position however I don't think he's anything like Mike Connelly.

Mike Connelly is exceptionally fast on his feet and while he doesn't really have much in terms of rise and in air athleticism, Russell can't compare to him in terms of moving his feet.

To me a more comparable pg to compare him to in terms of his movements are Andre Miller or a Jason Kidd. Even Kidd is a bit too fast for the comparison. Chauncey Billups is probably in there as well.

Now before the comparison haters jump out. One doesn't have to prove they'll have the same career, Im simply talking about approach to the game and how they move. And if you look at the guards I mentioned it's more about staying at the top of the key, seeing over the defense, getting the ball to the right cutter or guy coming off the screen and then as a scorer being a dead eye shooter off of that. As opposed to what you might think of a penetrate and kick type of pg.

More like dump and then shoot. Chauncey did this, Miller did this. Kids did it more later as his body slowed down. But I think thats what Russell will do....at PG.

At SG I see him allot like a Brandon Roy. I never got the sense that Roy was an exceptional athlete but he was highly skilled with a handle and hesitation moves to keep defenders off balance and set up his shots. A taller version might be Paul Pierce. Again, how I imagine them looking while playing.
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#19 » by Cycklops » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:25 pm

Mik317 wrote:He will be the worst player in the history of forever. So bad that the Lakers will be disbanded and the league itself will fall into the fiery pits of hell.

Not every thread is about Kobe...
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#20 » by LofJ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:29 pm

He needs to play with another guard that is big and strong to cover his weaknesses, especially now while he's still developing his body, and allow him to play to his strengths. I know Clarkson is 6'5 but I haven't watched him play so I don't know how physically developed he is. Playing both of them with Kobe seems like a disaster waiting to happen though, so hopefully the Lakers won't do that.

Return to The General Board