Oct. 3 Preseason talk

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 710

Oct. 3 Preseason talk 

Post#1 » by RollingWave » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:06 am

two games tonight

Hornets at Orlando : Hornets won, but MKG may be pretty badly hurt if that's the case they may be screwed.
Pelicans at Indiana : That PG at the 4 thing didn't seem to go too well , he scored 18 but was -17

I watched the Hornets game, MKG injury aside (which as noted, if serious could basically sink their season.) general thoughts.

Andrew Nicholson went into WTF god mode for the Magic, he looked like freaking Kareem / Hakeem out there. he's interesting. not sure if he gets playing time this year though.

Hornets came out pretty flat, but after their 2nd units started coming in the momentum started shifting a bit and then the starters destroyed the Magic in the second go around (granted, the Magic starters were missing quiet a few guys.) if this is what they're going to run then it's very different from what they did last 2 year, Jefferson had maybe two postup the whole game, and was actively setting high screens. Walker looked horrendous in the first half but really good in the second (which is pretty typical of him i guess.) Batum was pretty good, he's probably the steady inbetween guy they need.

Lin played pretty well, lead the Hornets in points and also had 7 assist pretty much getting to the paint at will, and was also their entire offense to close out the game. (but that hairdo.. jesus.) Jeremy Lamb really blew up and did torched the Magic , he had the highest +/- this game i believe, let's hope he FINALLY takes his chance . Zeller's shot seems shaky at best , though he had some nice play inside, he didn't seem to have gotten many shots up over the summer due to the shoulder thing.

Neither Mario nor Frank did that much, Mario had a nice transition dunk and hit a couple shot, which is basically what Frank did as well (except the dunk part.) though they both put up a bunch of shots in a hurry, hard to know how they'll work this year, both of their game seem to require a lot of shots but hard when your a rookie and not super featured on a pure tank team.

If the Hornets are going to get to where they want to, this seem like the style they need to run offensively, they had 30 assist on 34 FG made and a bunch of guys in double digits. they got a bit too pass happy at times but you rather see that then what they did last year. their defense looked shaky today but part of that was Nicholson god mode and preseason, need to see if they can keep doing this kind of offense while still having a good D. They also launched 31 3s which they almost never did last year (they averaged 19 a game last year.) so it's good to see that they're obviously trying a different offense, hopefully that's what they actually do in season (and guys like Lin / Lamb can continue to hit their shots.)

Add on.
The river of time wash away all heroes
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Re: Oct. 3 Preseason talk 

Post#2 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:08 am

MKG was apparently taken out on a stretcher to the local hospital. So freaking disappointing.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#3 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:11 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaryStevensNBA/status/650477249091739649[/tweet]

Good grief.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#4 » by j-ragg » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:23 am

Didn't really see on the stream what happened to MKG looked like he just slipped on a wet spot of the floor.

Couple things I noticed, Magic backcourt looked good. Front court not so much, but Nicholson was doing his best Olajuwon impersonation.

Jeremy Lamb looked pretty good, I think he'll play a good role for them.

PJ Hairston is one fat man for being a guard in the NBA.

It's good to have the NBA back even if exhibition games.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
RollingWave
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by RollingWave » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:29 am

j-ragg wrote:Didn't really see on the stream what happened to MKG looked like he just slipped on a wet spot of the floor.

Couple things I noticed, Magic backcourt looked good. Front court not so much, but Nicholson was doing his best Olajuwon impersonation.

Jeremy Lamb looked pretty good, I think he'll play a good role for them.

PJ Hairston is one fat man for being a guard in the NBA.

It's good to have the NBA back even if exhibition games.

Seriously, he's a fitting successor to former Charlotte draft pick (and also Tarheel Alum) Ray Felton , at least his shots were falling today.
Game 7
Banned User
And1: 110

Post#6 » by Game 7 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:42 am

Mkg just got paid too. Wow
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#7 » by tooler » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:47 am

I hope we didn't break your player. We did that to Rubio last season. But that worked out well I guess?

I'm probably not helping. Maybe he'll be fine. Just a hard hit to the shoulder.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,293

Post#8 » by xBulletproof » Sun Oct 4, 2015 3:57 am

Paul George looked like Paul George on the eye test. 23 minutes, 18 points, 5 rbs, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block. He also said he did not like playing PF straight up though. Granted he was guarding Anthony Davis, nobody is going on to like that.

I'm not a fan of him being PF and didn't think we were that stupid to play him there too much, but I'm starting to question it.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,608

Post#9 » by fatlever » Sun Oct 4, 2015 4:20 am

confirmed dislocated shoulder for MKG. any have some recent examples of how long other players were out with similar injury?
RollingWave
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by RollingWave » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:56 am

fatlever wrote:confirmed dislocated shoulder for MKG. any have some recent examples of how long other players were out with similar injury?

depends if he torn his laburm, x-ray is negative right now so hopefully not.

if he didn't hurt anything else, then it's probably 2-4 weeks (so back by either late camp or early season.

if it's more, he's basically done for the year or at least most of the year. (example, Rudy Gay in 11-12 , Kevin Love last year)
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,188

Post#11 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:04 am

Well, sometimes a shoulder can be a month, but for a basketball player, who needs free range of movement, it may be 3-4 (or even longer). Pretty bad to have this happen. Just gonna hope for the best diagnosis.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
RollingWave
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by RollingWave » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:17 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Well, sometimes a shoulder can be a month, but for a basketball player, who needs free range of movement, it may be 3-4 (or even longer). Pretty bad to have this happen. Just gonna hope for the best diagnosis.

well luckily he doesn't really take many shots :P

in all seriousness though, for a lot of these guys even after they come back they would have awhile where the shoulder sometimes just pops out after a play. that's painful to just think about.
blau08
Senior
And1: 136

Post#13 » by blau08 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 7:00 am

Exciting talk OP. Good analysis too! Here are the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIE-MFqQtQ
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,504

Post#14 » by AddiFB » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:18 am

The Magic were in control while the first and part of second unit players were in but the second half was mostly third and fourth string guys on the floor, even guys who won't make the team. They still made it competitive I guess. Orlando was also missing Gordon, Vuc and Fournier and it showed.

I'm glad basketball is back :)

ALSO: Kareem Andrew-Jabbarcholson
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -

Return to The General Board