DeMarcus Cousins - The new King of empty stats

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Re: DeMarcus Cousins - The new King of empty stats 

Post#521 » by damecurry » Sat Feb 6, 2016 3:54 am

tsherkin wrote:
damecurry wrote:People still sticking to their Cousins guns? Presuming the lowly nets hold on to their big lead the kings will slip to 21-29, 19-22 with Cousins in the lineup. I know he doesn't have the greatest supporting cast around him, but can you really argue Damian lillard has a superior roster around him? Or that the jazz having missed gobert and favors for long stretches have had a far superior roster? DeMarcus just isn't a winning player on an elite scale. He's extremely talented beyond any doubt and puts up huge numbers but they just don't translate to winning ball games, at least not on the level of anyone else who puts up those kind of numbers, that to me is an empty stats guy.

This seems a strange comment on the heels of a game where he shot 50% from the floor en route to 24 points while also adding 10 boards and 10 assists against 3 turnovers. I mean, the whole team shot well but they just couldn't do a damned thing as a team defensively against the Nets, who shot 18/28 from downtown. You really want to blame that loss, rooted in the opposition shooting over 64% from downtown, on Cousins?!?

I mean, really?

Bogdanovic was 7/9 from 3, Sloan was 4/5 and JJ was 5/7. Together, that's 16/21. What could Cousins have really done to stop that? What could ANY big have done to stop that? When those shots are falling in that volume, you just throw up your hands as a big man... and not out on the perimeter expecting to alter the shot. That's on your backcourt and swing forward.

None of that is relevant to my ultimate point. I don't care how it happens or who is to blame directly, my point is Cousins doesn't contribute to winning basketball in the way someone of his status should. He doesn't inspire his team and generate a winning environment, and my comment wasn't at all about this particular game. I'm just pointing out he indisputably has a supporting cast that rivals that of any of the teams that are ahead of his in the playoff race. Guys been in the league 6 years and his team has never been close to .500 or even getting to the playoffs let alone being a contender. Is that partly the fault of the orginization and the rest of his roster? Sure, but if he really was a top 5-10 player like people constantly refer to him as his teams should be better than that. Again, like most of his defenders in this thread you're using stats to argue he isn't an empty-stats guy, in other words you're making my point for me. He does everything well statistically but he doesn't win basketball games, that's an empty-stats player.
Flipstorm
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#522 » by Flipstorm » Sat Feb 6, 2016 7:43 am

damecurry wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
damecurry wrote:People still sticking to their Cousins guns? Presuming the lowly nets hold on to their big lead the kings will slip to 21-29, 19-22 with Cousins in the lineup. I know he doesn't have the greatest supporting cast around him, but can you really argue Damian lillard has a superior roster around him? Or that the jazz having missed gobert and favors for long stretches have had a far superior roster? DeMarcus just isn't a winning player on an elite scale. He's extremely talented beyond any doubt and puts up huge numbers but they just don't translate to winning ball games, at least not on the level of anyone else who puts up those kind of numbers, that to me is an empty stats guy.

This seems a strange comment on the heels of a game where he shot 50% from the floor en route to 24 points while also adding 10 boards and 10 assists against 3 turnovers. I mean, the whole team shot well but they just couldn't do a damned thing as a team defensively against the Nets, who shot 18/28 from downtown. You really want to blame that loss, rooted in the opposition shooting over 64% from downtown, on Cousins?!?

I mean, really?

Bogdanovic was 7/9 from 3, Sloan was 4/5 and JJ was 5/7. Together, that's 16/21. What could Cousins have really done to stop that? What could ANY big have done to stop that? When those shots are falling in that volume, you just throw up your hands as a big man... and not out on the perimeter expecting to alter the shot. That's on your backcourt and swing forward.

None of that is relevant to my ultimate point. I don't care how it happens or who is to blame directly, my point is Cousins doesn't contribute to winning basketball in the way someone of his status should. He doesn't inspire his team and generate a winning environment, and my comment wasn't at all about this particular game. I'm just pointing out he indisputably has a supporting cast that rivals that of any of the teams that are ahead of his in the playoff race. Guys been in the league 6 years and his team has never been close to .500 or even getting to the playoffs let alone being a contender. Is that partly the fault of the orginization and the rest of his roster? Sure, but if he really was a top 5-10 player like people constantly refer to him as his teams should be better than that. Again, like most of his defenders in this thread you're using stats to argue he isn't an empty-stats guy, in other words you're making my point for me. He does everything well statistically but he doesn't win basketball games, that's an empty-stats player.

Here's the thing: you don't have a point. People are bringing up stats because stats in line with, you know, ACTUALLY WATCHING SOME OF THE GAMES, tell you what you need to know. And that is that the Kings are losing despite Cousins' best efforts, largely because they run a terrible defensive scheme that leaves the three open in conjunction with having poor perimeter defenders on the roster. Your argument that Cousins isn't a "winning player" boils down to: The Kings lost therefore Cousins isn't a winning player. You are willing to ignore the entire context of Cousins' career and organizational instability, provide zero statistical or eye-test evidence, and then waltz into the thread dropping baseless claims that you somehow can infer like Cousins "doesn't inspire his team and generate a winning environment." Yeah okay buddy. And you wonder why no one takes you seriously in this thread. It's clear you aren't a fan of Cousins and are just in here to attack him so why even bother posting? I guess Anthony Davis isn't a winning player either because his team is 18-31. Ah wait you say they made the playoffs last year, so I guess he is one! Did Jason Thompson all of a sudden become a winning player now that he moved from the Kings to the Warriors?
IggyStardust
Senior
And1: 753

Post#523 » by IggyStardust » Sat Feb 6, 2016 3:01 pm

damecurry wrote: Again, like most of his defenders in this thread you're using stats to argue he isn't an empty-stats guy, in other words you're making my point for me. He does everything well statistically but he doesn't win basketball games, that's an empty-stats player.

yes-- dudes bringing up stats in this thread are just question begging.

maybe cousins can add relatively more value to flush squads, but it looks like he isn't 'the guy'. no shame in that.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,181

Post#524 » by tsherkin » Sat Feb 6, 2016 3:22 pm

damecurry wrote:None of that is relevant to my ultimate point.

Sure it is. You picked a moment after a loss to rag on Cousins and call him not a winning player, but you failed to take into account anything other than your own opinion. The Kings lost that game by virtue of perimeter defense, even while Cousins did everything he could have done. You're not bothering to pay attention to the fact that Jordan won 38 games as a rookie, 40 games in 87.... he didn't make it to or above .500 until the 87-88 season, even while authoring some of the greatest individual performances in NBA history. Kareem won 40 games with the Lakers in 76. We're talking GOAT material here, which no one considers Cousins... but even still, he's had a demonstrable impact on the ability of Sacramento to actually win games. You can choose to believe whatever you want, but the facts do not support that he does NOT have a positive impact on the Kings' success. They clearly show that he does in fact help them win.

my point is Cousins doesn't contribute to winning basketball in the way someone of his status should.

Sure, but your point is wrong. And badly so, at that.

Again, like most of his defenders in this thread you're using stats to argue he isn't an empty-stats guy, in other words you're making my point for me. He does everything well statistically but he doesn't win basketball games, that's an empty-stats player.

But no, that isn't true. The simplest of stats shows that you are wrong.

So let's look at them!

The Kings are 13-40 without Cousins during the course of his career. From 12-13 forward, they're 10-40 without him.

So, now that we have the opportunity, we realize how badly wrong you are, because the Kings are actually getting out there at a 1:4 ratio of wins to losses when he isn't the game. That isn't really subtle or ambiguous at all: they lose when he isn't in the game. The Kings have been demonstrably better WITH Cousins than without him for several years now. They do, however, throw out a rotating cast of boobs and fools around him and don't support him with anything even remotely like a high-end team, so he doesn't win a lot of games. That's how things generally work in this league. Also, the ever-changing coach carousel hasn't been very helpful either. Sacramento management has been direly foolish for years.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that you are badly wrong and really need to take a moment to check your logic and the facts, because they are entirely antithetical to the point you are attempting to make.

I like Cousins, but Winsome and others will realize that I typically argue that he isn't as good as some of his fans want to believe, but this? This is just illogical nonsense that over-harps on a player in a manner which is not consistent with the truth. Cousins is clearly a value player. He's not a superstar at this stage of his career, granted, but he's still a guy who clearly helps his team win, and it is a pronounced, exaggerated effect even with a fairly bad team.
damecurry
General Manager

Post#525 » by damecurry » Sat Feb 6, 2016 3:38 pm

tsherkin wrote:
damecurry wrote:None of that is relevant to my ultimate point.

Sure it is. You picked a moment after a loss to rag on Cousins and call him not a winning player, but you failed to take into account anything other than your own opinion. The Kings lost that game by virtue of perimeter defense, even while Cousins did everything he could have done. You're not bothering to pay attention to the fact that Jordan won 38 games as a rookie, 40 games in 87.... he didn't make it to or above .500 until the 87-88 season, even while authoring some of the greatest individual performances in NBA history. Kareem won 40 games with the Lakers in 76. We're talking GOAT material here, which no one considers Cousins... but even still, he's had a demonstrable impact on the ability of Sacramento to actually win games. You can choose to believe whatever you want, but the facts do not support that he does NOT have a positive impact on the Kings' success. They clearly show that he does in fact help them win.

my point is Cousins doesn't contribute to winning basketball in the way someone of his status should.

Sure, but your point is wrong. And badly so, at that.

Again, like most of his defenders in this thread you're using stats to argue he isn't an empty-stats guy, in other words you're making my point for me. He does everything well statistically but he doesn't win basketball games, that's an empty-stats player.

But no, that isn't true. The simplest of stats shows that you are wrong.

So let's look at them!

The Kings are 13-40 without Cousins during the course of his career. From 12-13 forward, they're 10-40 without him.

So, now that we have the opportunity, we realize how badly wrong you are, because the Kings are actually getting out there at a 1:4 ratio of wins to losses when he isn't the game. That isn't really subtle or ambiguous at all: they lose when he isn't in the game. The Kings have been demonstrably better WITH Cousins than without him for several years now. They do, however, throw out a rotating cast of boobs and fools around him and don't support him with anything even remotely like a high-end team, so he doesn't win a lot of games. That's how things generally work in this league. Also, the ever-changing coach carousel hasn't been very helpful either. Sacramento management has been direly foolish for years.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that you are badly wrong and really need to take a moment to check your logic and the facts, because they are entirely antithetical to the point you are attempting to make.

I like Cousins, but Winsome and others will realize that I typically argue that he isn't as good as some of his fans want to believe, but this? This is just illogical nonsense that over-harps on a player in a manner which is not consistent with the truth. Cousins is clearly a value player. He's not a superstar at this stage of his career, granted, but he's still a guy who clearly helps his team win, and it is a pronounced, exaggerated effect even with a fairly bad team.

As has happened in the recent past you seem to be taking the most extreme aspects of some of the things I said and vastly exaggerating them to create a straw-man argument I was never making. I'm not saying cousins is trash and doesn't help his team win at all, I'm saying compared to the huge stats he puts up and any other player that's discussed as a top 5-10 player he does not contribute to winning at nearly the same level. Is he a "guy who clearly helps his tim win" obviously, no-one would deny that and I wasn't, I'm saying he doesn't help his team win at the level of anyone else discussed as a superstar or top 5-10 player. Which you agreed with, so again, your cherry picking and misunderstanding/misrepresenting my argument just to disagree with it.
damecurry
General Manager

Post#526 » by damecurry » Sat Feb 6, 2016 3:47 pm

Flipstorm wrote:
damecurry wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

I mean, really?

Here's the thing: you don't have a point. People are bringing up stats because stats in line with, you know, ACTUALLY WATCHING SOME OF THE GAMES, tell you what you need to know. And that is that the Kings are losing despite Cousins' best efforts, largely because they run a terrible defensive scheme that leaves the three open in conjunction with having poor perimeter defenders on the roster. Your argument that Cousins isn't a "winning player" boils down to: The Kings lost therefore Cousins isn't a winning player. You are willing to ignore the entire context of Cousins' career and organizational instability, provide zero statistical or eye-test evidence, and then waltz into the thread dropping baseless claims that you somehow can infer like Cousins "doesn't inspire his team and generate a winning environment." Yeah okay buddy. And you wonder why no one takes you seriously in this thread. It's clear you aren't a fan of Cousins and are just in here to attack him so why even bother posting? I guess Anthony Davis isn't a winning player either because his team is 18-31. Ah wait you say they made the playoffs last year, so I guess he is one! Did Jason Thompson all of a sudden become a winning player now that he moved from the Kings to the Warriors?

Um, yes. that's kinda how that works. AD only took his third year in the league to take his team to 45 wins and the playoffs. Cousins has had twice as long to do the same and has never even gotten close. Did the pels really have a substantially better roster outside of AD last year than the Kings do this year? They look pretty identical in terms of talent to me. Don't think anyone would argue monty williams is a better coach than George Karl, so you've gotta look at the star imo. If the Kings were in the playoff picture in the weak west this year I wouldn't be making this argument, because I do acknowledge that there's been tons of instability in the kings organization and coaching carousel and he hasn't had the best supporting players in the past. But right now the rest of his roster is more talented than the blazers roster, or the jazz considering the huge injury issues they've had, or even like the mavs really, but all of those teams have guys that work better together and try to win rather than focus on getting there own and don't contribute to winning basketball at an elite level. If he was really a top 5 player, a "superstar" there is no question that this team should be substantially better than the blazers are now, but they're not cause he's not.

Oh and your last snide comment is completely stupid and outside of this argument. We're talking about superstars leading their teams to wins. Of course supporting players can go to a winning team and ride that teams wins, that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm saying and shows that you have no grasp of this argument. I am not here to attack cousins and have no premeditated vendetta against him, look at my post history I have never attacked him in the past because I don't care about him. I just think to be perennially talked about as an elite player and a superstar you have to help your team win games and cousins never has at the level that someone in that discussion should. Show me one other recent example of a "superstar" player that has played in the league 6 years and never gotten his team anywhere near .500 wins or the playoffs? Just one, anybody. You had to bring up AD who obviously doesn't apply because you couldn't think of a better example, am I right?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#527 » by tsherkin » Sat Feb 6, 2016 4:29 pm

damecurry wrote:As has happened in the recent past you seem to be taking the most extreme aspects of some of the things I said and vastly exaggerating them to create a straw-man argument I was never making. I'm not saying cousins is trash and doesn't help his team win at all, I'm saying compared to the huge stats he puts up and any other player that's discussed as a top 5-10 player he does not contribute to winning at nearly the same level.

Right, and I turned around and showed you examples of situations where GOAT-level talents weren't able to do very much with their teams. Now you look at a guy such as Cousins, who isn't supported at that level of play, and it's clear that he shouldn't be expected to do a lot more. You've created this position where you don't want to call Cousins a top 5 or top 10 player in the league, which isn't itself a problem, but the arguments you have advanced don't prove your point. There is a fairly wide range of team circumstances and what-not which go into these things. Cousins' Kings can't play defense to save their lives, and that makes a pretty big difference. The BEST scorers in league history tend not to be able to raise their teams past a given threshold of team offensive efficacy when they don't have any meaningful help, so we have a general idea of what we can expect from his level of play... and he's basically doing it. When he's been healthy, the Kings have been considerably more effective than without. As expected from a player who produces a given level of impact.

Are there some guys who are going nuts based on what he was doing in January, and that alone? Sure, that happened. It was a little frustrating, but not out of sorts with a lot of the nonsense we see from any fanbase, most especially one waiting for that moment when their guy turns the corner. The point is, you picked a moment after a loss that had everything to do with the entire team EXCEPT Cousins to come and renew this discussion by ragging on Cousins for not being able to win more without any real regard for the roster context he experiences. You could put most stars you could think of on this team and it wouldn't work out too well for them.

damecurry wrote:Um, yes. that's kinda how that works. AD only took his third year in the league to take his team to 45 wins and the playoffs.

Yes, Anthony Davis did a wonderful job on offense for the Pels last year. He also had a better defensive cast, and a decent amount of help on O. The Pels were the 4th-best team in the league last season in terms of team 3P% and both Ajinca and Asik were fine offensive rebounders, which also helped. Tyreke Evans, a half season from Jrue Holiday, the stretch value of Ryan Anderson, I mean he wasn't without tools. It's also very much a strong position to hold that the Brow in 2015 was a better player than Cousins, whose main claim otherwise outside of this January has been isolation ability.

That said, it's also true that Davis wasn't put into the kind of position Cousins was, where he had to do everything on-ball while shouldering an ATG level of shot creation and volume. He had the guard play which permitted him to do his thing. You'll notice that Davis hasn't looked so otherworldly now that his coach has him wasting his time beyond the arc, isolating from the perimeter a lot more and generally not getting as much of his offense from off-ball action enabled by his guards, yes?

Funny, that.

Of course, over the 14 games he's played in 2016, he's looking a lot better, so we'll see where that goes, but again, he struggled for a time trying to do what Cousins does. The results were different when his coach changed his style and when his guards weren't there for him to the same extent. Stuff like that does actually matter.

Cousins has had twice as long to do the same and has never even gotten close. Did the pels really have a substantially better roster outside of AD last year than the Kings do this year? They look pretty identical in terms of talent to me.

They did not, and they aren't identical, no. The Pels roster was definitely a superior set. Meantime, with respect to your question about Monty Williams, no, I don't think he's a stunning savant of a coach. He is, in fact, making the SAME mistake that Karl is making with Cousins as far as all of this 3pt business is concerned.

If the Kings were in the playoff picture in the weak west this year I wouldn't be making this argument,

Right, but that's daft. The Kings had 3 coaches last season, getting rid of the best coach they've had since Adelman. Cousins, Gay and Collison were all injured. They were 29-53, but they were 23-36 WITH Cousins, which of course means they were 6-17 without him. There it is in a nut shell. They were brutal without him, they had injuries all throughout, they had half a season of a PG and while they had a quality season from Rudy Gay on offense, they didn't get much else from anyplace else on the roster. Particularly last year, the West was brutal. When you look at a team like the Pels, which managed to overcome the half-season from Jrue by having meatier seasons from Evans and Gordon coupled with the frontcourt help which Davis enjoyed.

If he was really a top 5 player, a "superstar" there is no question that this team should be substantially better than the blazers are now, but they're not cause he's not.

How?

Yeah, if he were a better offensive player under the exact same conditions as in which he presently labors, that would help this team. Wouldn't much help their atrocious, team-killing defense, though, and it behooves one to mention that Cousins is shouldering a HUGE offensive load. 20.6 FGA/g (21.6 PER36) at 35.6% USG.

Let me frame that for you. 35.6% USG would be the 11th-highest single-season usage recorded by an NBA player since we had the data to estimate it. Melo, Kobe, AI, MJ, Wade and Westbrook are the guys making up most of that list. Jermaine O'neal sneaks in there with his 04-05 season, but that was a half-season (44 GP, 41 GS) at 19.4 FGA/g (20.1 PER36) which reps higher because the Pacers were still a-grindin'. Cousins is shouldering a fairly intense, ATG-level burden, and it's pretty well-known at this point that past a general threshold, usage correlates with efficiency inversely.

This is what the Kings are asking of him. In order to win, they need him to shoot as frequently as a superstar guard, which hasn't traditionally been reasonable to ask of anyone but an ATG big... which no one has advanced as Cousins' level of play or ability.

Again, your position here can largely be summed up as over-focus on 6 years (because it's not like people haven't acknowledged development in Cousins' game over time), total lack of context with respect to the Kings' actual roster and a given understanding of the arguments being made by people who happen to be supporting Cousins. You managed to ignore my point about ATG-level players failing to hit .500 on rosters which were similarly riddled with issues as the present Kings. A player can do only so much. A BIG can do only so much. Cousins has real problems with his game as far as being one of the most dominant players in the game, true.

That said, one of the many errors you're making is misreading what's going on. Most here haven't really been arguing that Cousins has been a top 5 player the entire time. A lot of the pro-Cousins stuff has come in context with his performance during the month of January. For the sake of renewing that angle of discussion, he played 15 games in January while posting 31.5 ppg, 12.9 rpg and 3.1 apg in 36.5 mpg on 48.0% FG, 42.2% 3P on 3 3PA/g and 72.9% FT to produce 56.5% TS across 37.7% USG. The Kings went 8-7 that month.

Since then, they're 1-2 in February while he's posted 27, 10.5 and 7.0 on 48.8% FG, 57.1% 3P on 3.5 3PA/g and 57.1% FT for 54.9% TS across 32.6 mpg in the 2 games he's played in 38.5 mpg. They're 0-2 in that time.

He has to be a mythic, ATG titan in order for this team to win at the level you want to see. It's not a sensible criticism. The Kings are BAAAAAAD. Really bad. When he's not balling out like Shaq with a jimmy and a score to settle, they're basically done before they even start because of how atrociously porous is their defense and how generally limited is the support Cousins gets from his teammates. Gay has regressed considerably, Rondo is using scoring possessions (which is an awful thing, even if his playmaking has lots of value) and it's just a giant cluster.

This is not something which can be ignored. This team is just THAT bad. There are a couple of players in the league whom one might expect to reasonably do a little bit better than this than has Cousins, but I mean we saw the result. Let me try this another way.

Second-year Shaq (29/13/2.5, 59.9% FG, 120 ORTG, .252 WS/48, +5.4 OBPM) and rookie Penny managed to put together a 50-win team alongside Nick Anderson, Scott Skiles, Dennis Scott and the rest.

That's pretty impressive. It's not proportionate to the level of impact you are representing as prerequisite for the kind of status Shaq held in the league and based on his numbers, but no one in their right mind would say Shaq was an "empty stats" player. Now, THAT Shaq and Penny (who was himself roughly a 16/5/6.5 player) achieved 50 wins. Cousins isn't Shaq and he's got nothing like that sort of supporting cast, AND he's got a coach who is actively encouraging him for the first time to do something that is generally not a consistently intelligent option for him on offense (i.e. "take threes," much like Monty is doing with the Brow). The team is basically incompetent and incapable of winning anything at all without him, a trend which extends over several years now.

What is it which we should be expecting from Cousins, exactly? What voodoo should he be performing to make this team win a lot more under the conditions in which he is asked to operate? It's really nice and great to say "aww man, they should be winning more and so Cousins isn't all that good" and everything, but HOW?

All-time-high offensive burden, dreadful coaching, dreadful teammates, acknowledged that the player isn't an ATG offensive dynamo... what more is there? This angle of discussion is basically done, because you're being a little unreasonable.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#528 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sat Feb 6, 2016 4:37 pm

EwingMan wrote:
damecurry wrote: Again, like most of his defenders in this thread you're using stats to argue he isn't an empty-stats guy, in other words you're making my point for me. He does everything well statistically but he doesn't win basketball games, that's an empty-stats player.

maybe cousins can add relatively more value to flush squads, but it looks like he isn't 'the guy'. no shame in that.

No, they're really not.

I have to do this too many times: the stats are out there, I wish people would just go check them out themselves.

But anyway:

Kings with DeMarcus Cousins on the floor:
Kings: 106.9 ORTG
Oppn: 104.3 ORTG
-----------------------
Kings +2.6 (in other words, they are winning)

Kings with DeMarcus Cousins off the floor:
Kings: 104.0 ORTG
Oppn: 112.1 ORTG
-----------------------
Kings -8.1 (in other words, they are losing, badly)

Now this site is touchy about cross pollination with player comparisons, but I think I will risk this one post because I don't think people really have a feel for how those numbers stack up. So Cousins gets accused of not being a winner because he has crappy teammates. Well let's look at that. When Cousins is on the floor his crappy team BEATS other teams by +2.6 ORTG. So, what about some of the guys on better teams?

Cousins +2.6 on / -8.1 off = (+10.7 +/-)
Harden -0.7 on / -2.9 off = (+2.2 +/-)
Davis -2.4 on / -4.1 off = (+1.7 +/-)
George +4.1 on / -1.6 off = (+5.7 +/-)
Leonard +15.4 on / +12.9 off = (+2.5 +/-)
Griffin +4.6 ORTG / +3.5 off = (+1.1 +/-)

Now let me describe what we are seeing there. People miss DeMarcus Cousins' greatness because they can't see around his team's awful. What those numbers show is guys that were in the playoffs last year, that were anointed Top 5 guys just last year, really aren't giving their teams huge pushes this year. Leonard has himself a huge ORTG edge, but look at his +/-. The Spurs keep on playing almost as well when he is off the floor. None of the above great players, superstar players, have Cousins impact. Its right there in the numbers. Cousins changes the game when he enters for his team more than any of those guys change the game when they enter for theirs.

The key factor, everything is in how the Kings do when Cousins is not on the floor. You wonder where his 27pts 11rebs go? Well about 3/4 of them go just to elevating his terrible team to .500 ball, and then the leftover is +2.6.

You know who's numbers/predicament Cousins resembles? Post MVP Kevin Garnett, after they broke up his Cassel/Sprewell team. This was an MVP still in his prime:

15-16 Cousins: +2.6 on / -8.1 off = (+10.7 +/-)
05-06 Garnett: +0.6 on / -10.3 off = (+10.8 +/-)

It doesn't matter how great you are, you can't singlehandedly overcome that level of incompetence from teammates. You can make your team respectable while you are on the floor, but when you leave, it all falls apart.
Flipstorm
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#529 » by Flipstorm » Sat Feb 6, 2016 10:40 pm

damecurry wrote:
Flipstorm wrote:
damecurry wrote:None of that is relevant to my ultimate point. I don't care how it happens or who is to blame directly, my point is Cousins doesn't contribute to winning basketball in the way someone of his status should. He doesn't inspire his team and generate a winning environment, and my comment wasn't at all about this particular game. I'm just pointing out he indisputably has a supporting cast that rivals that of any of the teams that are ahead of his in the playoff race. Guys been in the league 6 years and his team has never been close to .500 or even getting to the playoffs let alone being a contender. Is that partly the fault of the orginization and the rest of his roster? Sure, but if he really was a top 5-10 player like people constantly refer to him as his teams should be better than that. Again, like most of his defenders in this thread you're using stats to argue he isn't an empty-stats guy, in other words you're making my point for me. He does everything well statistically but he doesn't win basketball games, that's an empty-stats player.

Um, yes. that's kinda how that works. AD only took his third year in the league to take his team to 45 wins and the playoffs. Cousins has had twice as long to do the same and has never even gotten close. Did the pels really have a substantially better roster outside of AD last year than the Kings do this year? They look pretty identical in terms of talent to me. Don't think anyone would argue monty williams is a better coach than George Karl, so you've gotta look at the star imo. If the Kings were in the playoff picture in the weak west this year I wouldn't be making this argument, because I do acknowledge that there's been tons of instability in the kings organization and coaching carousel and he hasn't had the best supporting players in the past. But right now the rest of his roster is more talented than the blazers roster, or the jazz considering the huge injury issues they've had, or even like the mavs really, but all of those teams have guys that work better together and try to win rather than focus on getting there own and don't contribute to winning basketball at an elite level. If he was really a top 5 player, a "superstar" there is no question that this team should be substantially better than the blazers are now, but they're not cause he's not.

Oh and your last snide comment is completely stupid and outside of this argument. We're talking about superstars leading their teams to wins. Of course supporting players can go to a winning team and ride that teams wins, that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm saying and shows that you have no grasp of this argument. I am not here to attack cousins and have no premeditated vendetta against him, look at my post history I have never attacked him in the past because I don't care about him. I just think to be perennially talked about as an elite player and a superstar you have to help your team win games and cousins never has at the level that someone in that discussion should. Show me one other recent example of a "superstar" player that has played in the league 6 years and never gotten his team anywhere near .500 wins or the playoffs? Just one, anybody. You had to bring up AD who obviously doesn't apply because you couldn't think of a better example, am I right?

No, what my comment is illustrating is that your argument is so simple that is boils down to "player X is a winner if he's on a winning team." You completely ignore that basketball is a team game and that Anthony Davis is no more a winning player this year than he was last year; all that's changed is now he's in a worse situation with a worse supporting cast and inferior defense than he had last year. By your basic logic a player's winning qualities is correlated with the success of his team, when what I and many other posters are trying to say is that its indicated by how the team performs with and without said player. And what all the stats say is that this Kings team is and has been for a few years now historically awful when Cousins sits. His mere presence alone carries them to mediocrity. In fact, the prime reason the Kings were even on a 5-game winning streak and briefly in the 8th spot was that Cousins was playing completely bananas and out of his mind basketball.

Check out this highlight video from today's game so you can see for yourself just how bad this Kings defense is (as I can presume you haven't watched much Kings basketball, or if you do you never make a point of saying so despite having the supposed authority to call Cousins an empty stats guy).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8febmwTUuw[/youtube]

The video shows all that is wrong with the Kings defense:
-the lack of any transition defense
-the constant switching on pick & rolls that leads to either A) a mismatch where the ballhandler is against a bigger defender and able to drive into the paint and kick it to the open man for three or B) a mismatch where the screener can take a smaller defender into the post, draw a double and kick it to the open three.
-the way the wings float on the perimeter and collapse the paint on penetration, essentially conceding the corner three. Yes, the same team that preaches PACE and THREES and JAZZ CONDUCTOR on offense makes it a a part of the defensive plan to give up the corner three. The most efficient shot in basketball.
-Marco Belinelli's complete inability to fight through any screen

There is a reason the Kings have been giving up career/season highs to scrubs like its Halloween candy (recent recipients include E'Twan Moore and Troy Daniels) and its because the defensive scheme is inherently flawed. But like I said in an earlier post, maybe if Cousins's could stretch his arms at will ala Mr. Fantastic so he could block threes from the paint people wouldn't blatantly disrespect him without even doing some basic research. The Kings are currently allowing the most PPG and the most 3PA/3PM to opposing teams in the league (at 10.6/29.0 respectively). That's right, the Kings are allowing teams to take 29 three point attempts per game.

But its all Cousins' fault that the Kings aren't winning more games :roll:. Just an empty stats guy am i rite guys /s
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#530 » by Jkam31 » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:18 am

Why y'all arguing with that guy

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#531 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Feb 9, 2016 1:31 pm

Hopefully they can go 9-21 to finish the season. That would give Boogie his first 30 win season.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,765

Post#532 » by contract » Tue Feb 9, 2016 2:31 pm

Lord Cuban wrote:Hopefully they can go 9-21 to finish the season. That would give Boogie his first 30 win season.

There is no evidence that Cousins makes any difference at all in the standings. The Kings could cut him tonight, and have the same level of "success".

That is the definition of empty stats.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,735

Post#533 » by naabzor » Tue Feb 9, 2016 2:57 pm

contract wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:Hopefully they can go 9-21 to finish the season. That would give Boogie his first 30 win season.

There is no evidence that Cousins makes any difference at all in the standings. The Kings could cut him tonight, and have the same level of "success".

Lol without boogie they will probably become the worst team in the entire league.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,563

Post#534 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:12 pm

Not a big fan of the dude, and how people argue he is a winner is baffling. This guy should be Shaq, and he's not. Noteven close. He shoots a wack % for a big, doesn't dime the ball enough and is not a defensive stud. Not to mention his **** attitude

In Raptor Ball I Trust
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#535 » by tsherkin » Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:22 pm

contract wrote:There is no evidence that Cousins makes any difference at all in the standings. The Kings could cut him tonight, and have the same level of "success".

You understand that this is violently inaccurate, yes? It's been demonstrated repeatedly that the Kings are noticeably worse in his absence.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#536 » by jpengland » Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:26 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
EwingMan wrote:

No, they're really not.

I have to do this too many times: the stats are out there, I wish people would just go check them out themselves.

But anyway:

Kings with DeMarcus Cousins on the floor:
Kings: 106.9 ORTG
Oppn: 104.3 ORTG
-----------------------
Kings +2.6 (in other words, they are winning)

Kings with DeMarcus Cousins off the floor:
Kings: 104.0 ORTG
Oppn: 112.1 ORTG
-----------------------
Kings -8.1 (in other words, they are losing, badly)

Now this site is touchy about cross pollination with player comparisons, but I think I will risk this one post because I don't think people really have a feel for how those numbers stack up. So Cousins gets accused of not being a winner because he has crappy teammates. Well let's look at that. When Cousins is on the floor his crappy team BEATS other teams by +2.6 ORTG. So, what about some of the guys on better teams?

Cousins +2.6 on / -8.1 off = (+10.7 +/-)
Harden -0.7 on / -2.9 off = (+2.2 +/-)
Davis -2.4 on / -4.1 off = (+1.7 +/-)
George +4.1 on / -1.6 off = (+5.7 +/-)
Leonard +15.4 on / +12.9 off = (+2.5 +/-)
Griffin +4.6 ORTG / +3.5 off = (+1.1 +/-)

Whilst not directly disputing this - WS/48 and BPM both show very, very, very different results - both of which pass the eye test better in terms of it 'fitting' better with players that I would agree make their teams significantly better.

Cousins is a VERY difficult statistical beast to deal with. The facts show that his teams don't win much and his attitude problems may exacerbate this. BUT he does put up some monster numbers at time and is both helped and hindered by his monster usage rates.

I actually think the talent around him is reasonable (although very, very poorly constructed) and Rondo REALLY is an empty statistical player (assist padding and grabbing rebounds a PG doesn't need to be grabbing)..

Ultimately the statistics (counting and advanced) produce a very mixed picture and his failure to amass wins coupled with the various attitude issues and clashes put me in a position whereby until he proves otherwise he isn't a 'top' level player in terms of winning basketball games IMO.

Maybe he matures, maybe a different coach utilises him differently but right now he hasn't demonstrated an ability to win.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,765

Post#537 » by contract » Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:27 pm

naabzor wrote:
contract wrote:

Lol without boogie they will probably become the worst team in the entire league.

The only teams that do appreciably worse than the Kings are teams in full on tank mode. 3 times in Cousins 6 seasons, the Kings have been within 3 games of the worst team in the conference. He makes no difference.

With Cousins, the Kings have never finished closer than 14 games out of the #8 seed.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
primopastalove2
Analyst
And1: 4,861

Post#538 » by primopastalove2 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:41 pm

Not only does he put up empty stats he's also a coach killer.
Caped Crusader wrote:
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#539 » by tsherkin » Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:45 pm

contract wrote:The only teams that do appreciably worse than the Kings are teams in full on tank mode. 3 times in Cousins 6 seasons, the Kings have been within 3 games of the worst team in the conference. He makes no difference.

Again, though, this is factually incorrect. They're 10-40 without him since 12-13, and with him, 96/152. The team roster is garbage, the coaching carousel has been ridiculous aside from Malone (whom they fired), management is incompetent and they've played in the tougher conference each season (though this year, that is more debatable).

Without him, they're a .200 team, pace for about 16 wins. WITH him, they're a .387 team, pace for about 32 wins.

Is he Jordan? No, he's not, but he's exerting a clear, palpable and irrefutably positive impact on the chances Sacramento has to win games. That's a difference of almost 19%, which is not small. Cousins is not a top-tier player at this point (though in January he certainly was playing out of his mind), but he does well enough that he helps the team win, and at either end of the floor. His total value is lost some, however, because he's got incompetent coaching undercutting his offense and some of the most useless defense I've seen around him.

Do note: the Kings are an average offense even despite the fact that they aren't flush with offensive talent. They are, however, 22nd on defense.

Again, you're wrong. Factually incorrect.

If the argument you want to make is that he isn't at the level of someone like Lebron, great, that's true. Outside of this January, he's simply not that kind of player. But even the greatest players in the history of the game have struggled when they have been beset by such inadequate supporting casts and dreadful coaching/management support. That's just the reality of the game. An individual can support a team to only so great an extent before his capacity to influence their outcome ebbs and dies off.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#540 » by OhMyBosh » Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:45 pm

Cousins really needs a change of scenery. It wasn't until Zach Randolph got to Memphis and started winning games that his game was appreciated more.

I can see him really excel in a franchise like the Celtics where he's under a brilliant coach and a no non-sense attitude organization that expects a lot more from their players.

Return to The General Board