[Wojnarowski] Sources: Kings strongly weighing the firing of coach George Karl

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

sdballer
Senior
And1: 269

Re: [Wojnarowski] Sources: Kings strongly weighing the firing of coach George Karl 

Post#81 » by sdballer » Sat Feb 6, 2016 7:53 pm

kodo wrote:Regarding Karl when he was fired in Denver after winning COY:

“That’s a huge surprise,” Popovich said. “I don’t know what’s true and what’s not. I haven’t heard any of it. … He’s an all-time great coach.

- Greg Popovich

Firing a coach because of wins/losses is an amateur FO mistake.

If Karl has to be fired because Cousins simply won't listen to him, that's completely different and it has to be done. You can't keep any coach who loses his team.

But then make sure Cousins gets the proper blame.

He's not being fired because Cuz won't listen to him. He's being fired because his defensive system is atrocious, his offense isn't a great fit with his players, he isn't developing young guys, his in-game management is poor, the team rarely seems ready to play and they don't seem to like him.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,741

Re: [Wojnarowski] Sources: Kings strongly weighing the firing of coach George Karl 

Post#82 » by SkyHook » Sat Feb 6, 2016 8:16 pm

Feeling nostalgic for the good old days of the Maloofs.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
gold_leader64
Pro Prospect
And1: 256

Post#83 » by gold_leader64 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 8:22 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:The day he was hired I knew it would end like this. Just get it over with already.

Same. The personnel just doesn't fit Karl's style and he refuses to adjust.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#84 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Feb 6, 2016 9:10 pm

NBARocks wrote:shouldn't Divac be fired by now? i mean, obviously, changing coaches haven't changed anything. so you have to go higher up the food chain. if that still doesn't help, then the problem would be the owner himself.

:banghead: Vlade barely came into the picture after Karl was already hired. Pete D'allesandro fired Malone, he also hired Karl. Vlade did the decent thing and gave Karl a shot at least. Let Vlade find his coach and then judge Divac. Karl is not the right coach for Demarcus Cousins. PERIOD.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,279

Post#85 » by Black Jack » Sat Feb 6, 2016 9:48 pm

Karl....seriously just retire. The game hasn't just passed you by it's in another century.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#86 » by Jkam31 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 10:12 pm

Black Jack wrote:Karl....seriously just retire. The game hasn't just passed you by it's in another century.

Ya this dude game plan is to let the other team shoot 3s. Let that sink in

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jkam31
Head Coach

Post#87 » by Jkam31 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 10:16 pm

90% of you in here have watched a total of 3 kings games but feel like experts and mock the kings. All you see is the name Karl and don't see how terrible he is doing and playing exact opposite of how the team should be playing.
Comical actually.

But hey this is the same place where Nick Stauskas was considered the worst rookie ever. Than he was traded and 2 seconds later was talked of like he was the 2nd coming just to mock sacramento.

Jkam31
Head Coach

Post#88 » by Jkam31 » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:19 am

Now Karl is attacking Rondo how Dow you people expect the players to play for a coach who attacks plays through the media while coaching done bad basketball himself.

This attack on rondo takes place after rondo had his back last night. Anyway continuer to have Karl back without knowing the situation.

southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#89 » by southern wolf » Sun Feb 7, 2016 1:08 am

Just like in Phoenix, the coach isn't the problem.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#90 » by TaylorMonkey » Sun Feb 7, 2016 1:10 am

boomershadow wrote:There hasn't been a coacing change since they hired Divac. I actually think he is doing a really under appreciated job of keeping a sinking ship that is on fire from going all the way under water.

But that would at least put out the fire.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#91 » by TaylorMonkey » Sun Feb 7, 2016 1:17 am

turk3d wrote:That's what happens sometimes when you go for the "name" coach (see Nellie and D'Antoni in NY, Gentry now in New Orleans, Brown in Cleveland again and LA,maybe even Rivers in Clipperland). Karl really is way past his prime and I'm surprised he even wanted to come back. I'm sure he talked his way into the job and Ranadive (the basketball fool that he is) just swallowed it up.

They had a very good coach in Malone and fired him for no apparent reason other than to get a "name" coach. Need to remember these "name" guys sometimes did all their work way in the past. Not only is Karl old but the game has changed a lot and appears to have passed him by. You don't see too many old school guys around any more who are successful in this business.

Hopefully Ranadive has finally learned his lesson and will let people who know basketball make those very important decisions for him. He apparently is trying to "model" the Warriors well look at what the Warriors owner did when he first took over. He hired top notch basketball people and fired the ones he felt were incompetent. Vlade I think was good start.

The reason they fired Malone was apparently roster disagreements (I think over Josh Smith?) and because they wanted to play faster, symptomatic of wanting to ape the Warriors. Not just because they wanted a name coach. Karl fit their philosophy at the time if not their actual roster.
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#92 » by RingsDontLie » Sun Feb 7, 2016 1:45 am

New coach won't fix the kings.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#93 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Feb 7, 2016 2:03 am

Jkam31 wrote:90% of you in here have watched a total of 3 kings games but feel like experts and mock the kings. All you see is the name Karl and don't see how terrible he is doing and playing exact opposite of how the team should be playing.
Comical actually.

But hey this is the same place where Nick Stauskas was considered the worst rookie ever. Than he was traded and 2 seconds later was talked of like he was the 2nd coming just to mock sacramento.

You do realize that the Kings were the ones that hired George...so like...it still makes the Kings look moronic and gives plenty of reason to mock them.

Also, I have never seen Nik Stauskas hyped as the second coming lmao. I mean really, Stauskus plays for the Sixers who get ridiculed even more than the Kings, so I got no clue where you got that one from.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#94 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Feb 7, 2016 2:06 am

George has a 5 year deal, yes? LOL, he'll take Ranadive's money and laugh all the way to the bank. And good luck to Vlade finding a competent replacement who is willing to deal with Cousins and Rondo on the same roster.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#95 » by jason bourne » Sun Feb 7, 2016 2:38 am

Italian Job wrote:
jason bourne wrote:smh. Same ol' Sacramento Kings if they fire Karl. He is an NBA winning coach, so deserves better. I was surprised by the loss to the Nets who are much worse on offense, ESPECIALLY OFFENSE, and defense versus the Kings. Kings' fans would be shocked by the loss. Especially, when fans think the team has turned it around and may be able to eek into the #8 spot.

I would not fire George Karl. Who are the Kings going to get? Tom Thibodeau? Some other team like the fickle Nuggets would snatch Karl up. Instead, get some players at the wings who can play some D and build. Courtney Lee or Tony Allen are available. The top 3 players, DMC-Rondo-Gay, are too offensive-minded. Gay, according to Karl, is supposed to be their best defender. He sprained an ankle early and was sporadically used in the game. Yet, the Kings are trying to trade Gay. The team has already said they'll take Ryan Anderson for Gay. Like he's going to help the defense. What is GM Vlade Divac thinking? More 3-pt shooting will solve everything?

Before, the fans were complaining Mike Malone was fired, but I don't think he's that good of a coach now that I've seen him in Denver. His rotations are atrocious. The Kings are doing better offensively and defensively than Malone's Kings (and his Nuggets), so Karl has improved the team. Just not enough to satisfy a playoff-starved management and fan base.

Honestly, I don't think you've watched enough Kings' basketball this year, aside from the games agains your Dubs.

Karl is a shell of himself, a coach who lives on his name and reputation.

He's barely speaking on the sidelines, he doesn't energize the team, but the worst thing overall, is that he delegates his job to his assistants, for example Chad Iske. In the game he skipped because he was ill, Iske was a total non factor, even Rondo had to draw a play because his lead assistant wasn't doing it.

We could say that the main reason of the problem is that Boogie and Karl don't fit well. It's true. But Cousins has adjusted fine and Karl too a bit, as we saw DMC rise his level of play in January, one of the best months by a big man in the recent history of the NBA. DESPITE being in a system that doesn't maximize his strengths obviously.

His defensive scheme is a total joke. His strategies are way too bad and are a big reason of the Kings dropping games left and right to awful teams, and career nights to scrubs.

- Should never ever switch and he still does. They aren't his 2013 Denver or actual GSW team; don't have the personnel to do that.
- Adjustments are terrible, can't counter opposing lineups (for example small ball ones), instead he'll match those.
- Perimeter D is terrible and players don't have a clue of what they're doing on the court. They are responsibile of course, but the staff hasn't done anything to fix that. The answer has been "more offense and we'll be fine". But really this is the only thing they're good at while not even playing to their best players strengths.

And last but not least, the Dribble Drive Offense with this roster is so so idiotic.

Karl is what he is; an old man who looks ill, isn't a great motivator and is so stubborn that he refuses to change his mind. His style of basketball may not be successful elsewhere too, certainly isn't in Sacramento but it looks like he's not gonna change anytime soon.

The players are talented but a difficult mix of personalities who should be managed a lot; Karl looks simply a stockfish. Too bad that Mike Malone would be an excellent fit, who praises D and is the guy who I believe this group would trust; they'd bring it every night for the battle for sure as we saw at the beginning of last year.

This team is underachieving so bad that Divac should not listen to national media chatter and fire Karl, who was a BAD hire from the start and everybody knew and knows that.

The TRUE problem in the Kings' organization is Vivek who created this dumpster fire.

This time Cousins has spoken for the team, not himself. He has played with a lot of heart since the late December ejection against the Warriors, not the play you'd expect from a guy who's forcing management to fire the coach he doesn't like. He said he doesn't like Karl but they had to make it work. But probably the locker room has seen enough. Just guessing from the outside.

Either the Kings turn it around a-la-Warriors 2007 or Boogie is gone for good in the summer.

How do you know how many Kings games I've watched from my posts? I've watched enough to form an educated opinion. Next, you're all over the place from blaming Karl to Iske to Boogie's beotching to Ranadive to the guys who sells popcorn and beer in section 108. You're just generalizing with your vaginal rash complaints. We already seen the reports here about the Kings miscues and Boogie's problems, so it's nothing new. Most of us have heard it all before.

We just do not see a team ready to deal with their problems in a calm, adult manner or else we would not hear "fire the coach" year-after-year. Just read Woj's story carefully again to see what the problem is. The only thing wrong with the article is it wasn't Vanadive who were the ones to trigger Mike Malone's firing. It was Pete D and Chris Mullin. It was Pete D who got George Karl, too. In both cases, Vanadive had to approve it so he's ultimately responsible, but the drivers weren't him. I suspect Vlade is involved in crying fire Karl after seeing how things work under Vanadive. It didn't take much time for his pal Bobby Jackson to cry fire Karl in an interview, too. That's why I said are ex-players are running the Kings now? One of them is. One of the worst things to happen to the Warriors was having ex-player, Chris Mullin, become GM. He was one of the worst GMs ever even though he got the Warriors to the playoffs in 2007.

Boogie, Rondo and Gay may leave regardless. The main thing is to figure out how the Kings can win more games and that is to get better defensive players. I made suggestions to what the Kings can do in lieu of overreaction. They're just suggestions and them may be other players who fit the bill. Kings fans should know their team best. The Kings may have lost several games, but it's not like they're out of contention in the weak West.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#96 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sun Feb 7, 2016 2:48 am

jason bourne wrote:
Italian Job wrote:
jason bourne wrote:smh. Same ol' Sacramento Kings if they fire Karl. He is an NBA winning coach, so deserves better. I was surprised by the loss to the Nets who are much worse on offense, ESPECIALLY OFFENSE, and defense versus the Kings. Kings' fans would be shocked by the loss. Especially, when fans think the team has turned it around and may be able to eek into the #8 spot.

I would not fire George Karl. Who are the Kings going to get? Tom Thibodeau? Some other team like the fickle Nuggets would snatch Karl up. Instead, get some players at the wings who can play some D and build. Courtney Lee or Tony Allen are available. The top 3 players, DMC-Rondo-Gay, are too offensive-minded. Gay, according to Karl, is supposed to be their best defender. He sprained an ankle early and was sporadically used in the game. Yet, the Kings are trying to trade Gay. The team has already said they'll take Ryan Anderson for Gay. Like he's going to help the defense. What is GM Vlade Divac thinking? More 3-pt shooting will solve everything?

Before, the fans were complaining Mike Malone was fired, but I don't think he's that good of a coach now that I've seen him in Denver. His rotations are atrocious. The Kings are doing better offensively and defensively than Malone's Kings (and his Nuggets), so Karl has improved the team. Just not enough to satisfy a playoff-starved management and fan base.

Honestly, I don't think you've watched enough Kings' basketball this year, aside from the games agains your Dubs.

He's barely speaking on the sidelines, he doesn't energize the team, but the worst thing overall, is that he delegates his job to his assistants, for example Chad Iske. In the game he skipped because he was ill, Iske was a total non factor, even Rondo had to draw a play because his lead assistant wasn't doing it.

We could say that the main reason of the problem is that Boogie and Karl don't fit well. It's true. But Cousins has adjusted fine and Karl too a bit, as we saw DMC rise his level of play in January, one of the best months by a big man in the recent history of the NBA. DESPITE being in a system that doesn't maximize his strengths obviously.

His defensive scheme is a total joke. His strategies are way too bad and are a big reason of the Kings dropping games left and right to awful teams, and career nights to scrubs.

- Should never ever switch and he still does. They aren't his 2013 Denver or actual GSW team; don't have the personnel to do that.
- Adjustments are terrible, can't counter opposing lineups (for example small ball ones), instead he'll match those.
- Perimeter D is terrible and players don't have a clue of what they're doing on the court. They are responsibile of course, but the staff hasn't done anything to fix that. The answer has been "more offense and we'll be fine". But really this is the only thing they're good at while not even playing to their best players strengths.

And last but not least, the Dribble Drive Offense with this roster is so so idiotic.

Karl is what he is; an old man who looks ill, isn't a great motivator and is so stubborn that he refuses to change his mind. His style of basketball may not be successful elsewhere too, certainly isn't in Sacramento but it looks like he's not gonna change anytime soon.

The players are talented but a difficult mix of personalities who should be managed a lot; Karl looks simply a stockfish. Too bad that Mike Malone would be an excellent fit, who praises D and is the guy who I believe this group would trust; they'd bring it every night for the battle for sure as we saw at the beginning of last year.

This team is underachieving so bad that Divac should not listen to national media chatter and fire Karl, who was a BAD hire from the start and everybody knew and knows that.

The TRUE problem in the Kings' organization is Vivek who created this dumpster fire.

This time Cousins has spoken for the team, not himself. He has played with a lot of heart since the late December ejection against the Warriors, not the play you'd expect from a guy who's forcing management to fire the coach he doesn't like. He said he doesn't like Karl but they had to make it work. But probably the locker room has seen enough. Just guessing from the outside.

Either the Kings turn it around a-la-Warriors 2007 or Boogie is gone for good in the summer.

How do you know how many Kings games I've watched from my posts? I've watched enough to form an educated opinion. Next, you're all over the place from blaming Karl to Iske to Boogie's beotching to Ranadive to the guys who sells popcorn and beer in section 108. You're just generalizing with your vaginal rash complaints. We already seen the reports here about the Kings miscues and Boogie's problems, so it's nothing new. Most of us have heard it all before.

We just do not see a team ready to deal with their problems in a calm, adult manner or else we would not hear "fire the coach" year-after-year. Just read Woj's story carefully again to see what the problem is. The only thing wrong with the article is it wasn't Vanadive who were the ones to trigger Mike Malone's firing. It was Pete D and Chris Mullin. It was Pete D who got George Karl, too. In both cases, Vanadive had to approve it so he's ultimately responsible, but the drivers weren't him. I suspect Vlade is involved in crying fire Karl after seeing how things work under Vanadive. It didn't take much time for his pal Bobby Jackson to cry fire Karl in an interview, too. That's why I said are ex-players are running the Kings now? One of them is. One of the worst things to happen to the Warriors was having ex-player, Chris Mullin, become GM. He was one of the worst GMs ever even though he got the Warriors to the playoffs in 2007.

Boogie, Rondo and Gay may leave regardless. The main thing is to figure out how the Kings can win more games and that is to get better defensive players. I made suggestions to what the Kings can do in lieu of overreaction. They're just suggestions and them may be other players who fit the bill. Kings fans should know their team best. The Kings may have lost several games, but it's not like they're out of contention in the weak West.

No, Karl is washed up, and its not even hard to see.

Beyond that of course, at no point in his entire career did he ever demonstrate he was ready to coach a great center. He had absolutely no history or scheme to do it, so instead he tried to play him like a SF, because that's what Karl knows.

He's not being fired because the team won't listen to him, he's being fired because the team listened to him, and what he said doesn't work. Certainly not with that roster, and maybe not at all anymore. His "switch everything, leave the three point shooters open and collapse into the middle, while trying to pick up your man in a wild scramble game" defense is just pathetic. And he presents as an old tired man now. No energy, no fire. Just kind of sits and half watches, half zones out. Speaks in a raspy whisper. Creaks to his feet on timeouts. He's washed up.

That team had the right type of coach for its personnel, and the idiot owner fired him. Karl was never that type of coach, not even when young. Certainly not now. Old coaches run out of juice eventually. So did Nellie. So did Lenny Wilkens. So did everybody not smart or lucky enough to get out while the getting is good.

There's still enough talent on that team to make a run, but they aren't going to do it playing against their strengths and giving up the most points in the league. I'm wondering if maybe Thibs might give it a go. That's who you want coaching a team like that.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by jason bourne » Sun Feb 7, 2016 2:51 am

sdballer wrote:
kodo wrote:Regarding Karl when he was fired in Denver after winning COY:

“That’s a huge surprise,” Popovich said. “I don’t know what’s true and what’s not. I haven’t heard any of it. … He’s an all-time great coach.

- Greg Popovich

Firing a coach because of wins/losses is an amateur FO mistake.

If Karl has to be fired because Cousins simply won't listen to him, that's completely different and it has to be done. You can't keep any coach who loses his team.

But then make sure Cousins gets the proper blame.

He's not being fired because Cuz won't listen to him. He's being fired because his defensive system is atrocious, his offense isn't a great fit with his players, he isn't developing young guys, his in-game management is poor, the team rarely seems ready to play and they don't seem to like him.

I disagree. Karl was never was a great defensive coach, but he has the offense up and defense a skosh better than under Mike Malone. I've watched several Nuggets games and I hate Malone's rotations. There should be no regrets in firing Malone except he should have gotten more of a chance. Karl hasn't even gotten a full year and statistically, i.e. advanced stats, he's improved the team since he took over. Karl can't develop young guys because the team has to win now. Lol, with that complaint. As for the team not ready to play, that has been addressed. It's the energy level when the Kings come out. Give them some time to adjust. The gripe has been made known.

Why not measure how the team does and how Karl does for the whole year? Then we don't have to read stories of the Kings having to fire a coach in mid-season year-after-year.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#98 » by AingesBurner » Sun Feb 7, 2016 3:42 am

Horny as head coach?
Ingles is cooked.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by jason bourne » Sun Feb 7, 2016 4:11 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
Italian Job wrote:

No, Karl is washed up, and its not even hard to see.

Beyond that of course, at no point in his entire career did he ever demonstrate he was ready to coach a great center. He had absolutely no history or scheme to do it, so instead he tried to play him like a SF, because that's what Karl knows.

He's not being fired because the team won't listen to him, he's being fired because the team listened to him, and what he said doesn't work. Certainly not with that roster, and maybe not at all anymore. His "switch everything, leave the three point shooters open and collapse into the middle, while trying to pick up your man in a wild scramble game" defense is just pathetic. And he presents as an old tired man now. No energy, no fire. Just kind of sits and half watches, half zones out. Speaks in a raspy whisper. Creaks to his feet on timeouts. He's washed up.

That team had the right type of coach for its personnel, and the idiot owner fired him. Karl was never that type of coach, not even when young. Certainly not now. Old coaches run out of juice eventually. So did Nellie. So did Lenny Wilkens. So did everybody not smart or lucky enough to get out while the getting is good.

There's still enough talent on that team to make a run, but they aren't going to do it playing against their strengths and giving up the most points in the league. I'm wondering if maybe Thibs might give it a go. That's who you want coaching a team like that.

Lol, I give up. Advanced stats say DMC is better as a PF though.

ImageImage
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#100 » by marcush » Sun Feb 7, 2016 4:12 am

21-29, seems about right.

Karl coached team runs free flowing offence at the expense of defense, seems about right. They got from him what they SHOULD have expected.

Would they benefit from a Thibs type coach? Yes. But they are still a couple of players away from having any real expectations. High expectations with this roster, with this coach, it's clear to me where the problem is here.

Return to The General Board