Rookie Discussion Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Re: Rookie Discussion Thread 

Post#1321 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:27 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:At best all this is saying is that Okafor is a better rebounder than Porzingis if you take into account the other big they're playing with. Okafor isn't a bad rebounder, nor is it even near any of his biggest weaknesses, so I'm not really sure how debating that Okafor is a superior rebounder to Porzingis is all that relevant. I did not argue that Porzingis was going to be the next Andre Drummond, I just said that he projects to be a rebounder, and I don't see any stats that really infer otherwise.

I mean if we were to compare him to someone like Dirk as a mismatch PF, he pretty much kills 20 year old Dirk on glass and Dirk grew to be a good rebounder. Porzingis has shown potential to be a good offensive rebounder, and at the very least an average defensive rebounder, I don't really see how it is incorrect to say that prime Porzingis can probably rebound.

Suppose it's because I don't consider Okafor a good rebounder nor Porzingis as an extension of that; although, I do believe they both have potential to be. I seem to have misinterpreted what you meant by can as in the present rather than as well as possibility in the future.

HeartBreakKid wrote:Also, is your source from NBA.com?

NBA.com, nbawowy, Nylon Calculus.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,206

Post#1322 » by Hoop Hunter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:43 am

I think Myles Turner has just as much potential as Porzingis. More than Okafor.

Turner has been really good in the playoffs. Maybe the best rookie in the playoffs. Pretty impressive, just turned 20.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#1323 » by Kabookalu » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:00 am

Hoop Hunter wrote:I think Myles Turner has just as much potential as Porzingis. More than Okafor.

Turner has been really good in the playoffs. Maybe the best rookie in the playoffs. Pretty impressive, just turned 20.

It's like I said before, other than Paul George, the one player I was scared of from the Pacers the most was Myles Turner. We get destroyed by jumpshooting big men. Although it's his defense that's been destroying us, he's been the best interior defender in the playoffs so far.

I hope the Pacers don't try grooming him to be a center and mess with his mobility by making him bulk up. He's already special the way he is.
Read on Twitter
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#1324 » by saintEscaton » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:24 pm

I really wanted Myles heading into the draft and never got why he got a bed rep with scouts as a lazy underachiever. His awkward gait was also overemphasized, sure he is a long strider bu he can run the floor
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1325 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:31 pm

saintEscaton wrote:I really wanted Myles heading into the draft and never got why he got a bed rep with scouts as a lazy underachiever. His awkward gait was also overemphasized, sure he is a long strider bu he can run the floor

I never heard the lazy / underachieving part, but he did perform a good deal better against bad teams than he did against good teams IIRC. As for his gait - it was bad during high school and improved a little at Texas, but was still noticeable. The biggest change was leading up to the draft - I also believe there was an issue with one hip being higher than the other, leading to the gait, but I could be mistaken. He is a long strider going straight, but his lateral quickness, while ABSOLUTELY improving and WAY better than it was at Texas, could still use some wok. He fell for valid reasons, IMO.
lilswift01
Rookie
And1: 927

Post#1326 » by lilswift01 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:15 pm

I think porzingis physical attributes + skillset gives him an advantage over turner in terms of potential.

He's longer and quicker + he has better moves and has more range.

I can't really think of anything turner does better from a skill standpoint ( maybe shoot the midrange J??)

I'm pretty sure most gms would go with porzingis ahead of turner.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#1327 » by Marcus » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:38 pm

saintEscaton wrote:I really wanted Myles heading into the draft and never got why he got a bed rep with scouts as a lazy underachiever. His awkward gait was also overemphasized, sure he is a long strider bu he can run the floor

his gait wasn't overemphasized it was a legit concern. Being his size he could get away with the way he moved when in High School maybe even in college but the NBA is a whole different level of athlete. Plus the way he ran flagged injury concerns in the long term when he's had minor leg injuries in the past at lower levels. His lateral movement issues and whether or not he could cover PnR was a concern and added to that his lack of strength and sometimes questionable desire to bang on the inside. He fell for legit reasons.

To his credit he's worked on improving all of those things and has made serious strides (no pun intended). Kid was always a skilled big with LA/rim protector potential. It was just about whether or not he was worth taking the chance on to develop and or if there were guys above him that could do what he does yet not flag the same concerns.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#1328 » by ChaosHamster » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:58 am

lilswift01 wrote:I think porzingis physical attributes + skillset gives him an advantage over turner in terms of potential.

I can't really think of anything turner does better from a skill standpoint ( maybe shoot the midrange J??)

There are a bunch of guys, who have more potential than Porzingis.

Jokic, Okafor, Turner, Portis..

After they play a good game, of course. 8-)

Perhaps someone even mentioned Frank, glad, I didn't see that, yet. :lol:
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#1329 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:29 am

lilswift01 wrote:I think porzingis physical attributes + skillset gives him an advantage over turner in terms of potential.

Mid range is where Porzingis is best from, he's actually elite from deep mid range (top 20 if I recall) which is also promising for his eventual 3 point shooting as well. Turner is considerably better the closer you get to the basket however.

Nobody should be arguing Porzingis' potential, it's astronomical (imo the second highest in the class), pointing out the flaws that he has as a rookie doesn't change that.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
ensergiog
Sophomore
And1: 279

Post#1330 » by ensergiog » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:41 pm

I don't know about potential, that's speculation. I do know that Myles Turner, 20 years old, is playing like a veteran out there in a elimination game in the playoffs. His demeanor, shooting, interior defense are outstanding in meaningful games.

Powell is very good too. The kid know his role, good 3 and D.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1331 » by GimmeDat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:08 pm

I'd take Turner over Okafor as well, as long as he stays healthy. Speaks a lot about how I, and most people feel, about a big that's a defensive liabality (Okafor).
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#1332 » by Klomp » Sun May 1, 2016 4:30 am

Why has ROY not been announced yet?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
LALifer49
Rookie
And1: 862

Post#1333 » by LALifer49 » Sun May 1, 2016 5:10 am

Klomp wrote:Why has ROY not been announced yet?

They aren't doing it this year...too bad for kat...
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#1334 » by RationalGaze » Sun May 1, 2016 6:22 am

They have already
It was on Wednesday Oct. 28
Just takes time to report these things
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#1335 » by ChaosHamster » Sun May 1, 2016 10:04 am

Interesting to see how many guys will rank Jokic and Booker over KP. Some I would assume, will even put Turner ahead of him. ;)
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer

Post#1336 » by Hoop Hunter » Sun May 1, 2016 1:59 pm

We'll hopefully have the next 10-12 years to debate who's better.

The Zinger is longer no doubt. He is not quicker. He does not have better moves, Myles has nice post moves good foot work and a nice jump hook. Better range, maybe, Myles hasn't shot many 3's, but is capable.

Myles is a better defender and shot blocker.

I'm not sure most GM's would automatically take him over Myles.

Head to head they only played once, Myles had 24 and 6, Zinger had 22 and 2. They actually only guarded each about half the time.

'
Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#1337 » by Veyron » Sun May 1, 2016 3:00 pm

Is there rly debate who is better Myles or Porzingis? haha-

One is by a mile better with much higher ceiling, and you should know who if u watch bb for years.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#1338 » by guille_4 » Sun May 1, 2016 3:35 pm

Hoop Hunter wrote:

The Zinger is longer no doubt. He is not quicker. He does not have better moves, Myles has nice post moves good foot work and a nice jump hook. Better range, maybe, Myles hasn't shot many 3's, but is capable.

Head to head they only played once, Myles had 24 and 6, Zinger had 22 and 2. They actually only guarded each about half the time.

'

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=turnemy01&p2=porzikr01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Porzingis has definitely had the better rookie season.

I'm a huge fan of Myles Turner though. Was before the draft and still am. Hope he stays injury-free for years. He'll definitely be a starting-caliber player for his career and I expect him to make at least 1 all star game. It's still way to early to make predictions, but his future is bright.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer

Post#1339 » by Hoop Hunter » Sun May 1, 2016 4:44 pm

Veyron wrote:Is there rly debate who is better Myles or Porzingis? haha-

One is by a mile better with much higher ceiling, and you should know who if u watch bb for years.

I was trying to have a nice discussion. Got any real aurguing point other than being obtuse? I've watched basketball for a very long time, I stand be my evluation. One is not a mile better nor do they have a much higher ceiling than the other.

We can have a nice debate, but I will not argue with someone being a jerk.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer

Post#1340 » by Hoop Hunter » Sun May 1, 2016 4:55 pm

guille_4 wrote:
Hoop Hunter wrote:

'

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=turnemy01&p2=porzikr01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Porzingis has definitely had the better rookie season.

I'm a huge fan of Myles Turner though. Was before the draft and still am. Hope he stays injury-free for years. He'll definitely be a starting-caliber player for his career and I expect him to make at least 1 all star game. It's still way to early to make predictions, but his future is bright.

Porzingis had the better regular season, no doubt. 73 starts to 30. Turner missed almost 2 months. Was in and out of the starting lineup. A big difference in circumstance though, playoff vs lottery team.

Return to The General Board