Why is the word "genius" not used for basketball players?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Why is the word "genius" not used for basketball players? 

Post#1 » by mtron929 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:25 pm

If you watch soccer (or futbol), you will note that certain players (most notably the playmakers) are referred to as geniuses. In many cases, these players (e.g. Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi, Laudrup) are not that athletic and they are often short/slow compared to other players on the pitch. Yet they see the play on a pitch unfold in such a manner and provide a perfect pass such that one cannot help but exclaim that it is a work of a genius.

However, in basketball this is not often the case. I suppose if you want to make one to one mapping, a point guard is a position that can be similar to the playmakers in soccer. However, often these guys are not referred to as geniuses. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a game where a basketball player or a play was referred to as a work of a genius. So then, few questions can arise.

1) is it just a different culture and form of expression that differentiates soccer and basketball?

2) is it possible that in basketball (unlike soccer), a situation that calls for a genius play does not arise often (perhaps due to smaller number of players and perhaps less diversity in types of configurations compared to soccer?

3) perhaps because athleticism is far more important in basketball compared to soccer, it becomes difficult to identify a person who is so far ahead of others in their mental play while being physically inferior (which you see more often in soccer)?

<edit>

In some sense I feel obligated to state the following option as well, which might actually be true

4) perhaps "genius" is not something that the society readily attributes to black people and thus, they are more hesistant to call black players geniuses compared to white athletes.
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,777

Re: Why is the word "genius" not used for basketball players? 

Post#2 » by Collymore » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:27 pm

Racism.
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#3 » by wolfv » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Genius isn't a term commonly applied to athletes in North American sports. They will say some players have "high basketball iq", or "he's a smart basketball player/hockey playey" etc

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#4 » by Alfred » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:42 pm

The British have their own dialect when it comes to sports.
Ice the knees
Veteran
And1: 618

Post#5 » by Ice the knees » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:50 pm

I've always felt one of the most important traits a basketball player needs to possess is a great imagination. Guys like Manu, Andre Miller, Vlade figured that out and could manipulate the game in all sorts of ways despite not having the most dominant of physical traits. Alas, the culture in basketball often doesn't lend it's self to such praise. It's all about shooting from deep and putting your nuts on that dude's forehead
WIldEagle18
Junior
And1: 295

Post#6 » by WIldEagle18 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:51 pm

There is only one Tensai basketman
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#7 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Alfred wrote:The British have their own dialect when it comes to sports.

Yep. Pretty much it. I always find it funny to listen to British commentators, and I'm sure the British probably find it funny to listen to our commentators. Some of the terminology they use in soccer and cricket is just so funny to me for some reason, heh.
Threethrows
Pro Prospect
And1: 932

Post#8 » by Threethrows » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Well I don't know anyone's personal reason but it's just not said here to describe athletes often. The word genius has been devalued enough, there's no real reason to use it just to use it.

Calling a play or player genius instead of just a good or smart play is a matter of personal preference. I think that's really all there is to it. There's nothing wrong with using it of course but I think not doing it here is just one of those language differences between cultures.

As for point number 4 I think thats reaching. If we saw white athletes being called geniuses all of the time and black athletes were not you might be on to something, but that doesn't happen. Many in NBA broadcasting are black as well and it's not like they call anyone genius, black or white. I really don't think race has anything to do with it but it's a fair point to bring up I guess.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#9 » by Goudelock » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:01 pm

I've heard Rajon Rondo be called a genius before.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Peja Stojakovic
Starter
And1: 2,939

Post#10 » by Peja Stojakovic » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:04 pm

americans just say high basketball iq instead of genius imo
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#11 » by mtron929 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 pm

So it seems like the majority of people think that it is a matter of expression, but in some sense I beg to differ. When you refer to someone as having high basketball IQ, it is devoid of any emotion. On the other hand, when the word "genius" is referred at the heat of the moment, it is marvelling at the amazing display of brilliance that is unfolding before our eyes. So I would say that it is not the choice of the word. It actually points at the heart of the game of basketball that either does not offer these kind of moments or there might be something else beyond the cultural reasons.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#12 » by Side beard » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Genius is a term that is thrown around a lot. Especially in some simple daily situations. So I think the word has lost its value. There are some very knowledgeable players with high basketball iq. But to be called a genius, player should require some unseen brilliance.
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#13 » by mtron929 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:14 pm

That is, if you see someone who just display amazing virtuosity rifting on a musical instrument, you don't think that they have high musical IQ, you think that this guy is a genius.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,172

Post#14 » by donnieme » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Your agenda isn't as subtle as you think.
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#15 » by mtron929 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:17 pm

donnieme wrote:Your agenda isn't as subtle as you think.

What is my agenda?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,964

Post#16 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:20 pm

I don't like to use that word lightly

Rondo
Battier
Rodman

Are guys I've heard it used for. And it makes a lot of sense for them. Probably Duncan too. I'm in awe of what he is able to accomplish mostly through positioning.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#17 » by gavran » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:20 pm

mtron929 wrote:
donnieme wrote:Your agenda isn't as subtle as you think.

What is my agenda?

Bad grammer. It's football.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#18 » by qm22 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:23 pm

I think when someone makes a really smart play people call it "beautiful" and emphasize the effectiveness or surprising nature (e.g., if one player fakes out another, the fake out is emphasized). I don't think genius makes a good description of a single play and wouldn't want it used regularly in any sport I follow. I am pretty sure I've heard genius be associated with: Magic, LeBron, Penny, Nash...but I don't really keep count.

I think positive intelligence-associated adjectives are usually categorically excluded because many commentators and fans, even ESPN "analysts", do not understand basketball plays enough (that excludes ex-players and coaches, but they don't seem to go into advanced territory too often, for whatever reasons). TV analysts don't understand what was done to free up the play somewhat behind the scenes. Whenever they do call someone smart, like a coach, it is based on indirect things, like accomplishments... but the "analysts" aren't really capable of telling us why what XX did was smart and what YY did was not on a regular basis. But if you go to a source like BBall breakdowns, I think you will see some actions being called smart (or not smart).
I beg to differ
Veteran
And1: 4,692

Post#19 » by I beg to differ » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:27 pm

If you watch soccer (or futbol), you will note that certain players (most notably the playmakers) are referred to as geniuses. In many cases, these players (e.g. Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi, Laudrup) are not that athletic and they are often short/slow compared to other players on the pitch. Yet they see the play on a pitch unfold in such a manner and provide a perfect pass such that one cannot help but exclaim that it is a work of a genius.

So I guess that makes Larry Bird a genius. Good point.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#20 » by qm22 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:29 pm

WIldEagle18 wrote:There is only one Tensai basketman

A perfect answer to the OP.

The character that redefined understanding of "genius" with a very thick protagonist but (arguably) believable genius coming out as a product of intense desire and focus, and of course perhaps it is also pre-requisite that you deeply believe in/understand your abilities :D .

Return to The General Board