Lakers get permission from Warriors to Interview Luuuuke

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

dham1974
Assistant Coach
And1: 65

Re: Lakers get permission from Warriors to Interview Luuuuke 

Post#61 » by dham1974 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:21 pm

DarkHawk wrote:Not sure it'd be a good idea to potentially accept the LAL job, if offered, until he knows what pick they get.
If they end up with 3 or nothing, I would pass.

Why is the pick a deal breaker?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
dham1974
Assistant Coach
And1: 65

Post#62 » by dham1974 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:27 pm

I think even if the struck out in free agency with the big names and just got decent role players for the youth movement with Luke/Messina/ or someone like them I think 30-40 wins is a big possibility.

-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#63 » by -Sammy- » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:31 pm

GoranTragic wrote:It should read Lakers offering Walton free dinner and night out on the town.

"Do it, Luke. If you handle yourself right, you'll get to do it twice."

-L. Aldridge
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#64 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:30 am

Threethrows wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Pre-req is that he is able to explain thoroughly how the warriors run and what makes them tick and how he would be able to implement that here or where he would tweak it to make it better or better fit the lakers and the staff.

Presuming he can do all that and impress at interviews this would be a dream signing (if only we could get all 3 of Messina, Ollie and Walton though, that would be the dream team of coaching)

That's something you do after you get hired. At worst if he stays on with the Warriors he will still have many other coaching opportunities. Be vague but confident, and teams will want you... they already do.

that could be dangerous, could be another Fisher situation (though coaching in New York and being told to coach the triangle is a different scenario all-together) point still stands that if it was all the players and the system and Luke wasn't the coach we thought he was, it means we need to release another coach, and that is only because we didn't do our due diligence, i am sure he would be brilliant but with all the candidates we need to use the proper process otherwise we'll end up with another dud, something we can't afford
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,787

Post#65 » by TeamTragic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:27 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:It should read Lakers offering Walton free dinner and night out on the town.

-L. Aldridge

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#66 » by Kings2013 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:33 am

He was an albatross contract as a player, which I would think would've left more of a aftertaste in Lakers fans eyes, but doesn't seem to
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,548

Post#67 » by ken6199 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:38 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:

-L. Aldridge

Nah, dude no longer has his twitter account. This must be coming from one of your multiple sauces.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#68 » by -Sammy- » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:26 am

ken6199 wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:

-L. Aldridge

Nah, dude no longer has his twitter account. This must be coming from one of your multiple sauces.

King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Post#69 » by King4Day » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:56 pm

dham1974 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:Not sure it'd be a good idea to potentially accept the LAL job, if offered, until he knows what pick they get.

No one knows how he'll do with a serious lack of talent on the team.

Fisher might have come off as a better coach had he gone to the Warriors instead of Kerr.
Brooks may not have been as in demand if he didn't have Durant, Westbrook, and Harden at his disposal.
Scott, while not the best coach, is still a really good one. Same goes for George Carl. People judge based on team results.

If Walton goes to a Lakers team with the same roster, plus some mediocre signings (and potentially no draft pick or missing out on a top 2) it'll be hard for him to come out of this looking good.

For a first chance, I'd rather go somewhere that there's a bit of hope going forward. Not where there is controversy and uncertainty.

Just my opinion.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#70 » by The Prodigy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:52 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
dham1974 wrote:

Fisher might have come off as a better coach had he gone to the Warriors instead of Kerr.
Brooks may not have been as in demand if he didn't have Durant, Westbrook, and Harden at his disposal.
Scott, while not the best coach, is still a really good one. Same goes for George Carl. People judge based on team results.

If Walton goes to a Lakers team with the same roster, plus some mediocre signings (and potentially no draft pick or missing out on a top 2) it'll be hard for him to come out of this looking good.

For a first chance, I'd rather go somewhere that there's a bit of hope going forward. Not where there is controversy and uncertainty.

Just my opinion.

I'm curious to know what your opinion of Scott is based on.
Alienware
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Re: Re: Lakers get permission from Warriors to Interview Luuuuke 

Post#71 » by Alienware » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Kings2013 wrote:He was an albatross contract as a player, which I would think would've left more of a aftertaste in Lakers fans eyes, but doesn't seem to

We won titles with him on that albatross, hard to look at those years with a sour taste.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 6P utilizzando Tapatalk
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#72 » by Coeur » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Luke tell Phil the triangle still works but that it just needs flipped over. Go get him an athletic backcourt with more shooting up front.

Phil says what about Jrue holiday, Tony Wroten, and Jared Cunningham. And Ryan Anderson, bring back dwill

Knicks Speed triangle is the answer for Luke
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#73 » by zimpy27 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:06 pm

sanitylaker wrote:GOD no

He has stolen enough money from the Lakers during his career. Any coach would have done what he did with Curry and the rest of the GS roster.

I want a proven coach.

Pretty much, an exercise in how overrated head coaches are in general. Basketball is a team game on the court and in the coaching.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
King4Day
RealGM

Post#74 » by King4Day » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:45 am

The Prodigy wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:
dham1974 wrote:Why is the pick a deal breaker?

Just my opinion.

Hornets. Showed he could coach talent.
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#75 » by The Prodigy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:30 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
The Prodigy wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:

Just my opinion.

Care to expand?
King4Day
RealGM

Post#76 » by King4Day » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:55 pm

The Prodigy wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:
The Prodigy wrote:

Care to expand?

He has been part of teams have had good records. If he's a bad coach, he wouldn't have been around as long as he has been.
Alvin Gentry had a poor finish to his Suns career and still found a job in New Orleans.
Didn't say he's a great coach. He's still around for a reason though and chances are, he'll find a head coaching gig again eventually.
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#77 » by The Prodigy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:12 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
The Prodigy wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:

Care to expand?

He has been part of teams have had good records. If he's a bad coach, he wouldn't have been around as long as he has been.
Alvin Gentry had a poor finish to his Suns career and still found a job in New Orleans.
Didn't say he's a great coach. He's still around for a reason though and chances are, he'll find a head coaching gig again eventually.

So in your original post your argue against judging coaches based on team record but your argument in favor of Byron Scott is team record.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#78 » by JellosJigglin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:15 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
The Prodigy wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:

Just my opinion.

Luke Walton showed he could coach talent too.

Scott was a bum as a Laker coach. I like the guy, Showtime legend and all. He was just an awful coach. His robo-substitutions, aversion to communicate with his young players, a total incompetence in modern day x's and o's. The game passed him by.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#79 » by inquisitive » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:02 pm

So he only interviewed with the Lakers? no other team?
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#80 » by PizzaSteve » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Had permission to talk with Rockets, but the deal is done...

Return to The General Board