Byron Scott Thought He Had One More Season and Was Shocked at Firing

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Re: Byron Scott Thought He Had One More Season and Was Shocked at Firing 

Post#21 » by SportsGuy8 » Fri May 6, 2016 12:18 am

I have a feeling there are many, many things in life that shock Byron Scott ...

... Like the Sun rising every single day, the Moon not falling down on Earth, etc.
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Post#22 » by r0drig0lac » Fri May 6, 2016 12:36 am

This mission is over, Scott
Dajadeed
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,643

Post#23 » by Dajadeed » Fri May 6, 2016 12:53 am

Management acknowledging that it would be a rough few years isn't the green light for you to ignore the development of youngsters and put up the two worst seasons in franchise history.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#24 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri May 6, 2016 1:04 am

Deadpool Raptor wrote:
Nolan wrote:It's amazes me that someone that oblivious can make it so far in life.

He was a pro ball player, wtf you doing in your life?

BFD
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
jimmy_smith
Bench Warmer
And1: 914

Post#25 » by jimmy_smith » Fri May 6, 2016 1:27 am

He got Lakers job because Kobe want puppet coach.

Kobe is retired, now. No reason to keep him.
KC: Do you still think your a championship caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if i'm wrong
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#26 » by Spens1 » Fri May 6, 2016 1:39 am

jimmy_smith wrote:He got Lakers job because Kobe want puppet coach.

Kobe isn't Lebron, he hardly needs a puppet coach
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#27 » by LakersLegacy » Fri May 6, 2016 1:45 am

I respect Scott for Showtime and he is a beloved Laker.

But as a coach I have never witnessed a coach with worse substitution patters. He stunted the young cores development IMHO. He would let Kobe get tight when he was feeling it and sometimes when KB24 was not feeling it, he would play him longer minutes. The only explanation for his coaching is either (a) he is that bad or (b) he was trying to lose. And even though we want a lottery pick, neither (a) or (b) is acceptable to Lakers fans.

He lost control of the locker room. The 3'Angelo-Swaggy incident. The back and forth to the media and coach. He coached the 2 worst seasons in franchise history. We want to attract free agents improve. So that means B-Scott needed to go. I think everyone saw it coming but him. B-Scott should have been prepared for it. Everyone saw it coming from the fans to sports media to the players and everyone treated B-Scott as respectful as possible when firing a guy.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#28 » by LakersLegacy » Fri May 6, 2016 1:50 am

jimmy_smith wrote:He got Lakers job because Kobe want puppet coach.

If anything B-Scott got the job because Magic (National Media) and Worthy (Lakers Channel) would not bash B-Scott and because B-Scott was part of Showtime.

Kobe wanted Shaw when Phil stepped down. He didn't get him, instead we got Brown. Kobe wanted Phil when Brown got fired. He didn't get him. The only time Kobe got his way in terms of a coach was in '99 when we got Phil after the lockout. I don't even think Kobe wanted Phil back after his book in 2005, but Kobe wanted to win so he went with it.
Sting3r
Head Coach
And1: 209

Post#29 » by Sting3r » Fri May 6, 2016 2:13 am

LakersLegacy wrote:I respect Scott for Showtime and he is a beloved Laker.

But as a coach I have never witnessed a coach with worse substitution patters. He stunted the young cores development IMHO. He would let Kobe get tight when he was feeling it and sometimes when KB24 was not feeling it, he would play him longer minutes. The only explanation for his coaching is either (a) he is that bad or (b) he was trying to lose. And even though we want a lottery pick, neither (a) or (b) is acceptable to Lakers fans.

He lost control of the locker room. The 3'Angelo-Swaggy incident. The back and forth to the media and coach. He coached the 2 worst seasons in franchise history. We want to attract free agents improve. So that means B-Scott needed to go. I think everyone saw it coming but him. B-Scott should have been prepared for it. Everyone saw it coming from the fans to sports media to the players and everyone treated B-Scott as respectful as possible when firing a guy.

Not to mention hes had guys who are playing well now and probably detest scott for his time while on the team like jeremy lin and ed davis. :banghead: lin would of been an ideal backup point on any team. Davis too. Im sure tarik black would have bolted if scott was still coaching. The guy just puts players in the dog house with no explanation. Even did it with dlo all last season.
Lakers_Forever
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#30 » by Lakers_Forever » Fri May 6, 2016 2:49 am

Byron Scott was brought in only because of his popularity with Kobe Bryant and the Laker knew that Scott would be able to handle Kobe in what they was pretty sure would be Kobe's last year. Other than that, Scott simply is too old school to be a good coach in the current NBA. I personally think that they was going to give Scott one more year and then saw that they had a legitimate chance to get Luke Walton who definitely is the hottest coach in the NBA in the terms of a potential Head Coach position and they most likely had spoken to Luke Walton's agent and got an off the record idea. One thing about Mitch Kupchak - he moves fast on things like that if it's a good move
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,421

Post#31 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 6, 2016 4:11 am

chrismikayla wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15464465/byron-scott-says-thought-get-one-more-year-coach-los-angeles-lakers

Was this guy really this delusional?

Not 'was', IS. The guy thinks he was fired because the Lakers got impatient. He got fired because his behavior made it impossible to believe he was the best person to mentor these young players.

I don't take pleasure in saying this: This needs to be the end of his NBA head coaching career. The league has passed him by.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#32 » by moonpie » Fri May 6, 2016 6:19 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/markg_medina/status/728466344190976000[/tweet]
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#33 » by JellosJigglin » Fri May 6, 2016 6:39 am

moonpie wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/markg_medina/status/728466344190976000[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sirronstuff/status/728468028669624320[/tweet]
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#34 » by HotTubMike » Fri May 6, 2016 6:46 am

Deadpool Raptor wrote:
Nolan wrote:It's amazes me that someone that oblivious can make it so far in life.

Big deal... He put a leather sack through a metal ring for a living. Athletes as role models are way vastly overrated. Their job is to work out a a few hours a day (something a lot of people enjoy and do for fun) and put a leather sack through a metal ring.

Professional basketball players are 90% genes and 10% self made... The level of inherent athleticism, quickness, height (combined with base) to become an NBA player is insane... the idea that you can make it if you work hard enough and are dedicated enough is nonsense.. Its a genetic lottery
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#35 » by Mirjalovic » Fri May 6, 2016 9:15 am

moonpie wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/markg_medina/status/728466344190976000[/tweet]

WOW

man, wow. He doesn't understand..Mitch and co aint stupid like you, BS. They believe in young players and this is the real reason why you fired.

wait is this some kind parody article ?
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#36 » by moonpie » Fri May 6, 2016 9:34 am

Mirjalovic wrote:

WOW

man, wow. He doesn't understand..Mitch and co aint stupid like you, BS. They believe in young players and this is the real reason why you fired.

wait is this some kind parody article ?

Let me ask you a question, have you ever been in a real fist fight?
young_frogger
Rookie
And1: 965

Post#37 » by young_frogger » Fri May 6, 2016 11:24 am

HotTubMike wrote:
Deadpool Raptor wrote:

Big deal... He put a leather sack through a metal ring for a living. Athletes as role models are way vastly overrated. Their job is to work out a a few hours a day (something a lot of people enjoy and do for fun) and put a leather sack through a metal ring.

Professional basketball players are 90% genes and 10% self made... The level of inherent athleticism, quickness, height (combined with base) to become an NBA player is insane... the idea that you can make it if you work hard enough and are dedicated enough is nonsense.. Its a genetic lottery

This. I have no doubt that I am more 'skilled' than a lot of NBA players, and I am a better shooter than a vast majority of them. However, I'm not 6'6 with freakish athleticism, so it means very little. I also have no doubt that if being an NBA player was my Job, I would be in the gym improving my game all day every day because it's fun and knowing that it leads to career and financial success would just be gravy. People would praise my work ethic. However, in my real job, my work ethic sucks because the work sucks.

Honestly, everyone in the NBA should have an incredible work ethic, because their work isn't even work. Any player who doesn't take full advantage of his natural athletic gifts is a fool and deserves to get booted out of the league.
Carry On My Hayward Son
kvash37
Pro Prospect
And1: 367

Post#38 » by kvash37 » Fri May 6, 2016 11:37 am

young_frogger wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
Deadpool Raptor wrote:

This. I have no doubt that I am more 'skilled' than a lot of NBA players, and I am a better shooter than a vast majority of them. However, I'm not 6'6 with freakish athleticism, so it means very little. I also have no doubt that if being an NBA player was my Job, I would be in the gym improving my game all day every day because it's fun and knowing that it leads to career and financial success would just be gravy. People would praise my work ethic. However, in my real job, my work ethic sucks because the work sucks.

Honestly, everyone in the NBA should have an incredible work ethic, because their work isn't even work. Any player who doesn't take full advantage of his natural athletic gifts is a fool and deserves to get booted out of the league.

Damn, you must have been great at the high school level at least. Where and when did this go down?
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#39 » by chrismikayla » Fri May 6, 2016 11:57 am

JellosJigglin wrote:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sirronstuff/status/728468028669624320[/tweet]

LOL he STILL doesn't get it. Doctor MJ was right he still IS delusional.
[gfycat][/gfycat]
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,700

Post#40 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri May 6, 2016 12:07 pm

You want Byron to be a friend, not your coach though...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss

Return to The General Board