Why does Curry get a pass and Lebron doesn't?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Cityboy4life82
Senior
And1: 255

Re: Why does Curry get a pass and Lebron doesn't? 

Post#161 » by Cityboy4life82 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:44 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
Cityboy4life82 wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:
Lol

So LeBron, a generational passing talent with a sub-par jumper, should salivate at shooting shots he's not good at as opposed to creating open looks for his teams good shooters?

Interesting

I don't have a problem with Lebron making "The Correct Baskeball Play" but it is also a reason people don't give him passes.

That's perfectly fine, you can't use "passed up the shot" and "made the correct basketball play" interchangeably though.

One implies LeBron was the best choice yet was afraid to shoot, the other means him shooting wasn't the best shot for the team as a whole.
People prefer to live or die with their stars. Passing up shots when start player claims to be the best player in the game will turn many off.

Also passing it to a role player the fan base hates does not help either :lol:
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#162 » by F N 11 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Curry just got smacked in the mouth by an aggressive individual in Westbrook. He has to play defense lol.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
oikosnomos
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#163 » by oikosnomos » Thu May 26, 2016 4:00 pm

Lebron's been around a lot longer. The shine has worn off and he is widely considered the villian by most. Curry is new and fresh, but the longer he sticks around the more the masses will turn on him and the next up-and-comer will replace him.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#164 » by MartinToVaught » Thu May 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Cityboy4life82 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Should all of Jordan's game-winners be forgotten because he passed the ball to Kerr and let him win Game 6 in '97? This is such a reductive mindset. There's four other professional players out there on the court with LeBron, they should be prepared to shoot down the stretch of games too.

And there's a difference between passing and being scared to have the ball. I've seen Chris Paul be legitimately afraid of the ball and the spotlight during his playoff chokes - it looks nothing like LeBron trusting his teammates to step up.

The difference is that Lebron would pass the ball even when he did not need to. It really was magnified because he was playing for the Heat and how the decision went down "Not 1, not 2, not 3" :lol:

Kobe is the only other player who's taken as many postseason go-ahead shots in the final seconds as LeBron has in the last 15 years. And Kobe would always be the most selfish player imaginable in the first 47 minutes, so it makes sense that he'd still hog the ball in the last minute too.

In the biggest moments, LeBron does take the shot more than anyone else. His haters are too busy regurgitating Skip Bayless' old talking points from 2011 to notice.

"The Decision" and "not one, not two, not three" is completely irrelevant, BTW. Kobe pulled an Eli Manning on draft day, was all set to sign with the Clippers in 2004 until the Lakers finally caved in and traded Shaq, demanded a trade in '07, had a huge rape scandal, had the league's biggest ego, never made it past the first round as the first option on his team, hoisted up way more bricks in clutch time than LeBron, yet is still thought of as "clutch" and a "winner." People just irrationally hate LeBron, and those are two of the excuses they grasp for to justify it.

There was a long stretch for the Heat where he would literally run from taking the tough shot. I remember when Kobe got in his face at the allstar game and said "Man take the freaking shot". As a Heat fan I can recall all those moments and during the All star game it really got magnified.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tutioheFCV8[/youtube]

LOL at using the All-Star Game as evidence of anything substantial.

And considering his woeful clutch stats, Kobe needed someone to get in his face throughout his career and tell him, "Man, don't take the freaking shot."
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#165 » by ItsThatEasy » Thu May 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Cityboy4life82 wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:
Cityboy4life82 wrote:I don't have a problem with Lebron making "The Correct Baskeball Play" but it is also a reason people don't give him passes.

That's perfectly fine, you can't use "passed up the shot" and "made the correct basketball play" interchangeably though.

One implies LeBron was the best choice yet was afraid to shoot, the other means him shooting wasn't the best shot for the team as a whole.
People prefer to live or die with their stars. Passing up shots when start player claims to be the best player in the game will turn many off.

Using this logic, with Tim Duncan being the star of the Spurs these last 20 years, all those clutch 3's or jumpers Manu, TP, etc. have made, Duncan should've taken those simply because he's the best player?
jsonic6
Senior
And1: 17

Post#166 » by jsonic6 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:26 pm

I think it all started with LeBron leaving the Cavs to go chase rings with another team. "The Decision" and the proclamation of multiple rings with the Heat. All that made him out to be a villain in the league and he was held more accountable. Therefore more scrutiny.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,259

Post#167 » by sfernald » Thu May 26, 2016 4:39 pm

Cityboy4life82 wrote:Curry has showed up so many times that you can't count. When you do it as much as Curry does it is hard to knock him for the one or two times where he can't find the magic.

Idk has Curry really done all that much in the playoffs? It seems like he does even play at his "regular season" level. There's a reason Iggy was final MVP. He hasn't played all that well this year except for a few games. He did play all that well in the playoffs last year. And I don't think he played that well when they were eliminated by the Clippers a couple years ago.

He has had a few marvelous performances for sure but what is the argument he has done even 1/10th of what Lebron has done in the playoffs? After GS gets washed out by OKC, someone needs to reassess his legacy because the golden boy may be coated with golden paint and the paint is starting to wash off badly.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#168 » by bmurph128 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:52 pm

NBAfan3024 wrote:For one Steph has never been labeled as a potential 5 of all time talent or a potential GOAT rival.

This. Curry is still being treated like a guy that is an all-star being anointed a superstar...

Curry as a player is kind of like the Raptors right now - nobody thought he would be to this stratosphere, and so anything done wrong is just kind of shrugged off. The real problem is that the media (and fans) trumped him up to be the best in the NBA, which he's not - and the free pass that he gets is an indicator of that IMO.

Also, LeBron has done his share of immature things off the court - but Curry's antics on the court are just as bad IMO. LeBron may have told the Miami fans they would win 7 championships or whatever, but Curry's body language is every bit as cocky as that statement - every night (that he has a good game). All the celebrating after hitting open 3s is just ridiculous. NBA players celebrate more in general, but I always preferred Barry Sanders' TD celebration of just handing the ball to the ref. Curry doesn't act like he's been there, so to speak.

So I think all of those factors lead to him being given more of a pass than LeBron.
G-Mamba
Junior
And1: 475

Post#169 » by G-Mamba » Thu May 26, 2016 5:06 pm

LeBron James was great since 07 and people are starting to get tired of him being so great for so long. Before it was Kobe who was the villain while LeBron was the golden child of the NBA. Now it's LeBron time. Like Allen Iverson said, they are waiting for you to mess up so they can turn on you. The sexual accuse was for Kobe, The decision was for LeBron. They both are great players. Curry had a great season but I think he has a team that makes it easier on him. He shouldn't be considered in the same sentence as Kobe or LeBron and for sure not Jordan. Maybe one day just not yet.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Post#170 » by Edrees » Thu May 26, 2016 6:13 pm

This is the first time Steph has played bad in the playoffs, calm down and give it time. If he has more performances like this (such as next game) it'll start happening more
choppermagic
Starter
And1: 846

Post#171 » by choppermagic » Thu May 26, 2016 6:16 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
choppermagic wrote:
Cityboy4life82 wrote:
Lebron gets labled "LeChoke" simply because he would often pass up the opportunity to make a play in big moments while Curry salivates at the mouth to take those shots.

As I have stated before, people are more forgiving if a star player attempts to make the tough shots. Lebron has been clutch and I will not deny that but it is hard for people to forget how many times he has passed up the opportunity to take the tough shot.

I think this is a good point. People really dont hate players/people who go for it, even if they fail, because at least they had the guts to try. History is full of lovable failures. But a player that gives the air of 'entitlement' and then defers when the pressure goes up turns people off.

The "guts to try" outweighs the fact that said player is a poor shooter?

Why is there an issue with the team's best overall player NOT taking "clurch" Jordan/Kobe type shots if he's not actually good at them?

Poor shooter? The fact that someone shoots 44% instead of 51% sometimes is negligible in crunch time. You want a player who can create a shot, period, even if it lowers his % to 40% range. It's much better to have the defence distorted and a shot off than having the ball get turned over or your players fail to get off any kind of shot at all. I know people hate on Kobe for this, but there have been HUGE put backs made by Artest and Gasol in the playoffs BECAUSE Kobe draws attention and gets a shot off on the rim. People say he got bailed out, but honestly, if Artest's man or Gasol's man is shifted over to Kobe and frees them up for a put back, then a 40% shot plus increased put back odds is a MUCH better play than scrambling around passing it until the shot clock is down to 1-2 seconds left.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#172 » by Freighttrain » Thu May 26, 2016 6:31 pm

he's the worst defender on the starting 5 yet people put on their blindfolds when it comes to that.. ridiculous.
If you have been watching the series vs OKC he's literally being searched without even trying to force the mismatch on him, he just has one every time
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#173 » by Jedi32 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:38 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Cityboy4life82 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Should all of Jordan's game-winners be forgotten because he passed the ball to Kerr and let him win Game 6 in '97? This is such a reductive mindset. There's four other professional players out there on the court with LeBron, they should be prepared to shoot down the stretch of games too.

And there's a difference between passing and being scared to have the ball. I've seen Chris Paul be legitimately afraid of the ball and the spotlight during his playoff chokes - it looks nothing like LeBron trusting his teammates to step up.

The difference is that Lebron would pass the ball even when he did not need to. It really was magnified because he was playing for the Heat and how the decision went down "Not 1, not 2, not 3" :lol:

Kobe is the only other player who's taken as many postseason go-ahead shots in the final seconds as LeBron has in the last 15 years. And Kobe would always be the most selfish player imaginable in the first 47 minutes, so it makes sense that he'd still hog the ball in the last minute too.

In the biggest moments, LeBron does take the shot more than anyone else. His haters are too busy regurgitating Skip Bayless' old talking points from 2011 to notice.

"The Decision" and "not one, not two, not three" is completely irrelevant, BTW. Kobe pulled an Eli Manning on draft day, was all set to sign with the Clippers in 2004 until the Lakers finally caved in and traded Shaq, demanded a trade in '07, had a huge rape scandal, had the league's biggest ego, never made it past the first round as the first option on his team, hoisted up way more bricks in clutch time than LeBron, yet is still thought of as "clutch" and a "winner." People just irrationally hate LeBron, and those are two of the excuses they grasp for to justify it.

There was a long stretch for the Heat where he would literally run from taking the tough shot. I remember when Kobe got in his face at the allstar game and said "Man take the freaking shot". As a Heat fan I can recall all those moments and during the All star game it really got magnified.

And considering his woeful clutch stats, Kobe needed someone to get in his face throughout his career and tell him, "Man, don't take the freaking shot."

It's like people have forgotten 08-11! It's funny seeing some lebron fans harp on how supposedly selfish kobe is but yet that selfish player has more team success than the so called better team player. Also don't use the teammates excuse when lebron has had great teams around him also.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#174 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu May 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Spoiler:
Max Rockafeller wrote:Over the years, Lebron has been under heavy scrutiny for playoff performances. Arguably, he is the most criticized athlete in history. My question is: why does Steoh Curry get a pass for poor playoff performance, especially down the stretch here, and Lebron always takes blame for team performance? If you were to put Lebron in Stephs shoes right now, there would be much more criticism.

For example, I heard reporters giving Bron a hard time for his Game 4 performance....he shot 11/16 from the field and finished with 29 points with 9 boards and 6 assists to boot, and the criticism is the last 4 mins of the game. Steph gets blown out twice, throws up 6/20 in Game 4 and everyone says he must be injured.

Not to mention the difference of mileage that both players have. Bron on his 13th season, Olympic appearances, 5 straight Finals...if anything, Bron should get the fatigue/injury pass.

EDIT: To add to what I am trying to say, picture the Finals of HeatvMavs...and reporters writing about Lebron "being at 70%" as an excuse for the performance. It would never happen!!!!!

Because people don't like LeBron. And it's mostly self-inflicted. Doesn't mean it's fair, but definitely expected. The media commentary doesn't have anything to do with what happens on court anyway.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,378

Post#175 » by phanman » Thu May 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Its probably because Lebron has been a cheat code since the day he's been drafted and is the Kang.. While Curry just inputted his cheat code and hasn't been doing as long. :lol: Lebron overall is just under more scrutiny than the combination of the other top 4 players COMBINED. Dude is a walking attraction and everything he says and does will be criticized. The Decision didn't help, the 7 Championships promised didn't either, and forming a new big 3 doesn't either.. but these hare his choices and something he is comfortable living with. Also Lebrons never been seriously injured so he really never has an excuse to fall back on unlike Curry this post season run - even though I don't think its the knee that's bothering him, its OKC's smothering defense.

Even when GSW does eventually fall to OKC I can bet you the backlash wont be as severe or close to what Lebron endured in 2011 after his loss to the Mavs. Hell I don't even think it'll come close to the backlash he received in 2010 when he "quit" against the Celtics.
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#176 » by Arman_tanzarian » Thu May 26, 2016 8:38 pm

Cityboy4life82 wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:
Cityboy4life82 wrote:I don't have a problem with Lebron making "The Correct Baskeball Play" but it is also a reason people don't give him passes.

Bron has "scored" down the stretch in more playoff games than Curry. Including the same amount of playoff buzz beaters as MJ. Wait for Curry to even sniff his tier before comparing.
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#177 » by Arman_tanzarian » Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Cityboy4life82 wrote:

Articles on this has been written over and over again. He's taken as many go ahead shots as Kobe essentially, hitting at a better rate too. The passes he sometimes makes are plays he will make 10/10 times. If Ray is open in the corner he will pass it 10/10 times over a fadeaway.

Return to The General Board