The Golden State Warriors thread

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Which factor below had cost the most damage that ultimately brought the mighty GSW down?

Draymond Green is the match that lit the fire of cavs momentum when he got suspended in Game 5
14%
Harrison Barnes' untimely Useless Mode
8%
Splash Brother's inept effort
23%
Kerr's odd substitution pattern
3%
Bogut's untimely injury
6%
Cleveland as a team is just too good for them?
1%
Lebron James on God Mode.
19%
Kyrie Irving's unstoppable offensive bursts
3%
All of the above
21%
Some other reason ..
2%

Total votes: 418

ThePersianFreak
Suspended
And1: 1,072

Re: The blame game for GSW demise in Game 7 

Post#81 » by ThePersianFreak » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:19 pm

LeBron and Kyrie played great, Curry and Thompson didn't.
Sure they didn't have Green for game 5 but what about game 6 and 7? it's on Curry and Thompson, atleast Dray gave an all time performance in game 7!
Juan Montoya
Junior
And1: 49

Post#82 » by Juan Montoya » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:22 pm

I also think it was Greens obsession to kick and touch his opponents testicles, that ultimately changed the momentum and decided it.
Not the real Montoya
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#83 » by mtron929 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:24 pm

I mean you can point to pretty much anyone given that it was a 4 point game. But the primary reason why the Cavs won the series and why the Warriors lost the series was that Lebron played much better than Curry. Basically, all year long, we had all thought that Curry was better than Lebron. And because this flipped dramatically in the finals, the Warriors collectively could not make up the disadvantage in their best player being inferior to the opponent's best player.
osiyal
Pro Prospect
And1: 96

Post#84 » by osiyal » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:55 pm

The Warriors had an epic collapse. They played much better last year in the finals. This year, however, they got cocky, were too relaxed, underestimated the Cavs, and didn't make proper coaching adjustments. Of course, they were the better team. No question. However, by letting their guard down, the Cavs started to gain confidence and life, and before they knew it, it was too late. They were fighting a believing opponent that they should have vanquished at a much earlier stage. They still had the opportunity to right the ship despite baffling errors and ill-timed inadequacies, which I feel is a testament to their greatness, but fate had to punish their hubris and bad habits.

They will be here again, and this lesson will serve as a dire cautionary tale. It reminds me of my 2013 Miami Heat luckily beating a formidable Spurs team. The next year they utterly defeated us and by game 4 I knew we had no chance. This was a rejuvenated Spurs team playing a relaxed champion.

A third GSW-CLE re-match might be in the offing in 2017, and I expect the Warriors, assuming no injuries, to win decisively, especially considering the motivation to repeat in Cleveland will be low. This single win for Cleveland is worth the Lakers 3peat. It's that meaningful.
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#85 » by Cyrusman122000 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Cool_Dude wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:Many reasons, but ultimately this falls on their best players (curry, Thompson, Green (and coach Kerr IMO). The Warriors got so cocky, and arrogant as the season progressed and it finally bit them in the ass. Curry and Thompson really didn't have a great finals, and were absolutely awful in that game 7, especially Curry. I just can't understand or explain the multiple 30 ft shot attempts early in the shot clock, and curry's "Cute Passing" especially that behind the back pass in the 4th! They pulled that **** all season, and it was all fun and games then cause even when it failed it didn't matter cause they were killing teams in the regular season. But there is no way you can be doing that type of stuff in a game 7 of the finals!!
Draymond Green's suspension is game 5 changed everything, and that is something he will live with forever. If you watched his postgame last night you could see if on his face. He should have been suspended in game 4 vs. OKC, and was very fortunate he wasn't. Instead of learning from it, he struck another player in the groin (nowhere as bad) and put himself in a position where he could be suspended. His absence showed in game 5 in a huge way, and that indirectly led to Bogut getting hurt.
- Also Kerr coached a poor series, and it showed the most in the game 7 when he kept going with Ezili in the lineup. He was absolutely awful, and everytime he was in the game the momentum swung. Overall he was poor at making adjustments in the series in a big way. Also he didn't hold Steph and Klay accountable for the countless stupid 30 foot shots they took, and all the cute passing. That's on the coach. His coaching in game 7 was awful down the stretch. The Warriors were at their best when they had a Green/Iggy/Livingston/Thompson/Curry lineup. That was the hot lineup yesterday and that's the lineup he should've closed out the game with. He made the same mistake Pop made in 2013 and out coached himself thinking he needed to matchup with another big cause the cavs weren't hitting the 3.

Which game/play of the 2013 Finals are you referring to specifically?

Game 6 when he took Duncan out TWICE cause Miami didn't have a big on the floor. He outcoshrd himself and took his best player and best rebounder out of the game
Pew_Pew_Pew
Junior
And1: 290

Post#86 » by Pew_Pew_Pew » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Jedi32 wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:The refs finally allowing a team to play real honest-to-goodness defense against the splash brothers without it being an automatic foul.

do folks actually believe lies like this? :lol:

I don't think it was honest defense, I think it was blatantly illegal holding and handchecking on every single play.

How else does Tristian Thompson shut down Curry on off ball movement?

Unless TT somehow became the fastest big man in the history of the game just for the Finals.

The way the refs called the Finals gave it to CLE, but only because in the regular season it's called to be softer than a pacifist meeting.

But the refs not calling fouls for holding and handchecking is absolutely what allowed two 50 win teams to take a 73 win team to game 7s.

Otherwise Curry and Klay would of lived off the free throw line or off of open shots, just like they had the previous 100 games this year.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#87 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Pew_Pew_Pew wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:The refs finally allowing a team to play real honest-to-goodness defense against the splash brothers without it being an automatic foul.

do folks actually believe lies like this? :lol:

I don't think it was honest defense, I think it was blatantly illegal holding and handchecking on every single play.

Unless TT somehow became the fastest big man in the history of the game just for the Finals.

The way the refs called the Finals gave it to CLE, but only because in the regular season it's called to be softer than a pacifist meeting.

But the refs not calling fouls for holding and handchecking is absolutely what allowed two 50 win teams to take a 73 win team to game 7s.

Otherwise Curry and Klay would of lived off the free throw line or off of open shots, just like they had the previous 100 games this year.

This is such a bs excuse. Considering GS sets illegal screens all the time to get Klay and Curry open, the amount of slapping and swiping at ball-handlers, the antics and running around they get away with when calls don't go there way. I mean heck the NBA let Curry fire a mouthpiece accidentally hitting a fan and he didnt even get suspended (thankfully). Heck do you watch how much hand checking LeBron gets when he is trying to drive past a defender? GS always used their hand to try and keep him from turning the corner on them.

CLE wanted it more, played with a fire and a passion, GS got too cocky and felt entitled...
Pew_Pew_Pew
Junior
And1: 290

Post#88 » by Pew_Pew_Pew » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:06 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
Pew_Pew_Pew wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:do folks actually believe lies like this? :lol:

This is such a bs excuse. Considering GS sets illegal screens all the time to get Klay and Curry open, the amount of slapping and swiping at ball-handlers, the antics and running around they get away with when calls don't go there way. I mean heck the NBA let Curry fire a mouthpiece accidentally hitting a fan and he didnt even get suspended (thankfully). Heck do you watch how much hand checking LeBron gets when he is trying to drive past a defender? GS always used their hand to try and keep him from turning the corner on them.

CLE wanted it more, played with a fire and a passion, GS got too cocky and felt entitled...

It's not an excuse, it's the reason.

You can argue whether it's right or not to call the game completely differently in the playoffs then you do in the regular season. But it absolutely is the reason CLE was able to beat GS. It changed the game from a shooting contest to one of genetics.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#89 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:23 pm

Pew_Pew_Pew wrote:
OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
Pew_Pew_Pew wrote:

It's not an excuse, it's the reason.

You can argue whether it's right or not to call the game completely differently in the playoffs then you do in the regular season. But it absolutely is the reason CLE was able to beat GS. It changed the game from a shooting contest to one of genetics.

If you want to play that game, then you can reasonably infer in the regular season Draymond Green would have been suspended at least twice for nut hits. Not to mention you know the NBA likely suspends Curry a game if in the regular season he fired his mouthpiece in frustration and hit a fan like that. Nobody would even be that upset about it... but since it was the playoffs those things were let go a lot more. Quit making excuses, everyone knows the playoffs are way more physical and more intense... remember, it's a man's league.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#90 » by improper » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:56 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:If you want to play that game, then you can reasonably infer in the regular season Draymond Green would have been suspended at least twice for nut hits. Not to mention you know the NBA likely suspends Curry a game if in the regular season he fired his mouthpiece in frustration and hit a fan like that. Nobody would even be that upset about it... but since it was the playoffs those things were let go a lot more. Quit making excuses, everyone knows the playoffs are way more physical and more intense... remember, it's a man's league.

Well, for Klay at least, it's only a man's game when you're winning.
Torres
Sixth Man
And1: 1,156

Post#91 » by Torres » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Starts and ends with the first Unanimous MVP.
Image Image
bigbreakfast
Sixth Man
And1: 628

Post#92 » by bigbreakfast » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:45 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:Did you read my post or do you just like finding space to type your snarky little comments?

I admit it was a little snarky, but you should untwist those panties and relax, there was nothing malicious in that post. The maliciousness comes in this post.

thinkingwarriors wrote:I even made a point of saying the Cavs deserve all the credit in the world for getting the job done which is in stark contrast to how badly most of you idiots treated the Warriors last year. I'm not saying the Cavs got lucky, I'm saying the tougher competition in the West gives the Cavs an advantage which is clearly the case. You can even see it in the nuance of the series:

"The Cavs deserve all the credit and I'm not saying they got lucky but..." cmon, we all noted the undertone there. To put it plainly, you're insinuating the cavs won because they had an easier road to the finals. Also, you must have me confused with someone else, I'm not sure how I treated the Warriors badly last year. Did I personally hurt their feelings or were your feelings hurt by internet posts?

thinkingwarriors wrote:Games one and two, the Warriors pretty convincingly handle their business. Why? Because the tough OKC series tempered them mentally. The Cavs just weren't on the same level. But then the grind of a 7-game series kicks in and the Cavs find their edge, basically they are pushed to play a higher level of ball just like OKC pushed the Warriors. And then Draymond gets suspended and Bogut gets hurt and suddenly having to expend so much energy a series earlier, while a plus earlier in the Finals, becomes a minus later in the series. Now the Cavs are playing like the Warriors did on the backend of the OKC series and the outcome is predictably the same.

I didn't hear a single peep outta anyone about the Warriors expending too much energy after the first 4 games. (Just like how I didn't hear a single peep outta anyone about Curry being injured after the Blazers series, esp after the "I'm back" game. They lose a few games to OKC and suddenly Curry isn't 100%). The Cavs won because they were the better team, that's all anyone needs to say, there shouldn't be any qualifying statements after that.

thinkingwarriors wrote:So lose the worthless spam posts, Alanis Morrisette, and try to muster the mental fortitude to actually contribute to an interesting analysis of a couple of the best playoff series in NBA history.

You should probably drop the personal attacks, you might offend an alanis morrisette fan. Sorry I offered an opinion different from yours, maybe we can still be friends. :lol:
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#93 » by Cyrusman122000 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:04 am

I was thinking today the Warriors kind of reminded me of the Seattle Seahawks 2 year run.

Seahawks came into the 2013 season hungry, and a young team that had grown the least few years especially after their tough loss to Atlanta the year prior. They had the best NFC record in 2013 made it to the superbowl, and crushed Denver to win the franchises first championship. Their unit really grew that year. The next season in 2014 they were completely arrogant, and cocky pricks the whole year long. Richard Sherman talked so much **** all year to everyone! Same kinda with Doug Baldwin as well as other members on their team. They again had the best record in the NFC made the NFC championship game and SHOULD"VE lost to the Packers. Got incredibly lucky the packers chocked away a late lead, and couldn't recover an onside kick. Seahawks make the superbowl get up 24-14 against the Pats, guys like Sherman think its over. Then right as they have the title in their hands they find a way to lose it with that interception. Patriots end up winning and a franchise that had not won a title in a long time, and that had endured a lot of tough loses gets a title.

Warriors came into the 2015 season hungry, and a young team who's unit had grown a lot over the last two playoff years. Had the best record in the league in '15 and make the finals, and beat a Cavs team that had Kyrie out. The win the first title in 40 years, and really grew that season a tremendous amount. Next season in 2016 they have the best regular season ever, and as the year went on got very cocky, and arrogant. They once again have the best record, and make the WCF a series which they should've lost had Durant/Westbrook not wet the bed in game 6. They make the finals and have a 3-1 lead, and Green makes a huge mistake in even reaching for lebron's groin, and giving the NBA something to look at. That suspension indirectly led to Bogut's injury. They had the title in their hands and found a way to not finish the job. Cavs end up winning and a franchise that never won a title won. They like the Patriots got a title after years of heart breaking losses.

Don't get cocky and arrogant!
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#94 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:37 am

bigbreakfast wrote:I didn't hear a single peep outta anyone about the Warriors expending too much energy after the first 4 games. (Just like how I didn't hear a single peep outta anyone about Curry being injured after the Blazers series, esp after the "I'm back" game. They lose a few games to OKC and suddenly Curry isn't 100%). The Cavs won because they were the better team, that's all anyone needs to say, there shouldn't be any qualifying statements after that.

The bolded is where you lose all credibility and show your true colors. It translates to, "Don't try to analyze it, don't try to understand the reasons why the Cavs won because my ego requires that the Cavs won because God or aliens or some other fantastical and unknowable force dictated they win."

The Cavs won for entirely objective reasons rooted in the material world. Lebron played great defense, Kyrie found his confidence and shot well, the league felt the need to suspend Dray in the game the Warriors were most likely to close the series out in, Bogut got hurt, Steph lost lateral quickness with the knee injury...these are some of the actual reasons why the Cavs won. But the main reason that played the biggest role was that the Warriors had such a tough series against OKC they couldn't muster the energy to beat a Cavs team that had a far easier road and hence more left in the tank.

Last year the main reason the Warriors won was probably because the Cavs didn't have Kyrie and to a far lesser extent Love. Without Kyrie's scoring punch they were forced to try to beat the Warriors with defense and after game 3 that strategy fell apart because it's too much to ask to muster the energy to win that way against a team as good as the Warriors. It's not for such a simple-minded reason as, "The Warriors were the better team."

Your subjective crap is pointless and useless, particularly on a basketball discussion board. Why are you here if the only thing you have to say is "The Cavs won because they were the better team, that's all anyone needs to say, there shouldn't be any qualifying statements after that." Great, you've said it, now move along while the more inquisitive folks enjoy themselves discussing the sport they love.

And don't think I didn't see your "personal attack" comment. That is what is referred to as a chicken-sh*t attempt to get someone suspended from the GB for no reason. There was no personal attack on my part but there certainly appears to be a lack of integrity on your part.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#95 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 am

I don't think the Warriors believed the Cavs could beat them. There was a lack of respect there that only got magnified after the 2-0 start. In fact going down 70-46 or whatever it was and cutting the lead quickly back down to 8 in game 6 I think hurt the Warriors because it gave them a false sense of confidence going into game 7.

By the time it finally hit them in the 4th qtr of game 7 that the Cavs weren't messing around it was too late. Cavs could smell blood.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#96 » by Pennebaker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:55 am

The ineptitude of Steph Curry had a much bigger effect on this series than Draymond Green's absence for one game, in my estimation.
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,321

Post#97 » by Bolivar » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:06 am

When I watched the last ~8 minutes again, there's just so many "what ifs" to play out. Warriors were up 87 - 83, they defended the paint well and James had to brick a three. Warriors had it in the bag.

Enter Festus Ezeli, James makes the free throws, and James buries his three- pointer (for the first time in the game) to make it 89-87 for Cavs. That clutch three has gone mostly unnoticed in the aftermath by the way.

I believe Thompson is up next to make a solid drive to 89-89. Then it's something over four minutes of play with Cavs scoring 4 points and Warriors scoring nothing at all. There was just not enough DRIVE to go to the paint and get it done. The Cavs 4 points in 4 minutes was horrible as well, but they shutdown the Warriors (and they shut down themselves). It's nice to rely on your guys' three- point percentage during the regular season when you're going for 70+ wins but they should have just focused more on old-school basketball where you are allowed to score 2- pointers. Ok that's all hindsight but still, that's something that Kerr and the team will be thinking about during summer.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,891
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

The blame game for GSW demise in Game 7 

Post#98 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:07 am

The Warriors are a great, deep, well rounded team. But their have been plenty of those in NBA history, some of them even had multiple superstars.

They also had an amazing fit, and a player that was playing GOAT like ball, in a unique, nearly indefensible manner when he was playing well.

Steph playing at a shaky, or even mortal level brings the team from 73 win status, to a team with elite D and streaky offense. That's still tough to beat, but Cleveland is a pretty strong team, that had a GOAT level player playing with the ferocity of a wounded animal, and a secondary creator stepping up as well to help.

It's not a complex equation. Could other guys have picked up here and there? Sure, but so many of the guys on GS thrive when Steph thrives.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
jwood255
Bench Warmer
And1: 267

Post#99 » by jwood255 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:23 am

I voted all of the above because everything is a factor.

One major thing that stood out to me was Steph thinking he's too cool for school and not playing with the right attitude and intensity. It felt as though he literally thought there's no way they would lose. Sloppy passes. Giving up on plays. Lack of effort. Poor shot selection. Bad body language overall. It's the NBA Finals, not a pickup game. Ridiculous. I started out the series rooting for him but watching him out there made me dislike him so much that I was rooting for Cavs towards the end of it.

Also, I felt Kerr actually got outcoached. You could see the adjustments Cleveland made as the series progressed and GS was reactive instead of being proactive and having that killer instinct to just end it and not mess around. In game 3, when the Cavs went up 6-0 to start the game, you could see it. Kerr did call time, but the adjustments weren't adequate or effective. Cleveland had figured them out by that point and went 4-1 the rest of the way.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#100 » by improper » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:29 am

jwood255 wrote:I voted all of the above because everything is a factor.

One major thing that stood out to me was Steph thinking he's too cool for school and not playing with the right attitude and intensity. It felt as though he literally thought there's no way they would lose. Sloppy passes. Giving up on plays. Lack of effort. Poor shot selection. Bad body language overall. It's the NBA Finals, not a pickup game. Ridiculous. I started out the series rooting for him but watching him out there made me dislike him so much that I was rooting for Cavs towards the end of it.

Also, I felt Kerr actually got outcoached. You could see the adjustments Cleveland made as the series progressed and GS was reactive instead of being proactive and having that killer instinct to just end it and not mess around. In game 3, when the Cavs went up 6-0 to start the game, you could see it. Kerr did call time, but the adjustments weren't adequate or effective. Cleveland had figured them out by that point and went 4-1 the rest of the way.

In game seven you could see how badly Curry wanted to hit a hero three. He just kept taking awful shot after awful shot.

Return to The General Board