NBA Draft.net website stereotyping

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Re: NBA Draft.net website stereotyping 

Post#61 » by Eoghan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:55 am

White guys be playing basketball like this. Black guys always be playing like this. AmIrite?
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#62 » by Novocaine » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:52 am

xRapHeadx wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
xRapHeadx wrote:
Can you quantify basketball IQ? No. It's a made up term about a game, and it's disproportionately used to insult black men's intelligence.

Can I quantify it? No. But I don't think its all that hard to see who has a great understanding of the game and who doesn't.

And sure I guess some people use it insult black men's intelligence, but I think most are able to separate intelligence from basketball IQ. For instance Westbrook gets criticized for low IQ plays at times, but I think most everyone understands that he is a very intelligent person overall.

But when you start talking about highest basketball IQ's of all-time it's almost all black players with the exception of Bird: Russell, Lebron, Kidd, Magic, Paul.

I'm not saying you are totally wrong, but essentially what you are saying is that lazy and racist people exist. That sucks but it's really got very little to do with basketball IQ.

I mean on the flip side, not all white players hustle really hard and always know where they are supposed to be at all times. But people make negative assumptions about white people's athleticism and figure the only way they make it is for those reasons. It's stupid that direction as well.

The problem is that you can arbitrarily assign the designation of "high IQ" player without having any evidence to back it up. Even defining it is hard, and that arbitrariness of the term is going to lead to racist and garbage takes, which it constantly does.

What on earth? That's just profoundly and deeply stupid. Leave tumbrl out of basketball. If one can only describe players by things that are "quantifiable", one might as well stop trying to describe them. You must have a very low IQ to not figure this out and I don't mean the basketball one. Low basketball IQ doesn't even have to do with how intelligent or unintelligent individuals are off the court.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,725

Post#63 » by Nate505 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:07 am

Eoghan wrote:White guys be playing basketball like this. Black guys always be playing like this. AmIrite?

White basketball players have names like Lenny,while black basketball players have names like Carl.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,959

Post#64 » by Domejandro » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:38 am

Nate505 wrote:
Eoghan wrote:White guys be playing basketball like this. Black guys always be playing like this. AmIrite?

White basketball players have names like Lenny,while black basketball players have names like Karl.

Fixed that for you.
beach house
Senior
And1: 1,044

Post#65 » by beach house » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:46 am

former nbadraft.net number cruncher here.

when we did player projections we used a combinatory metric that was heavily based off of physical measurements
we used things like the eye test, play styles, stat projections, stat extrapolations, etc
when we lacked data in one area we simply tweaked the metric by voiding the variable set to database cross-correlation coefficient index to account for it

college/overseas/high school to nba stat extrapolation is extremely unreliable. physical measurements, however, translate better. this discrepancy is actually consistent enough to qualify as being "statistically significant" (with confidence interval of 97%)

thing is, many white players are european and thus we lacked data for them so physical measurements often had a disproportionate influence on the players' projections

also, white players with damn good athleticism numbers are common, but many white players still have very short wingspans and standing reaches with respect to height (compared to black players). white players with good athleticism numbers + good physical measurements are even rarer.

so when we compile the data to find matching current players white players are often matched with players with similar physical attributes, especially euro players with missing variable sets where physical attributes have a disproportionate effect on data.

lo and behold white prospects often get compared to former/current players with lower than nba average wingspan/height ratio and athleticism numbers. this latter group consists largely of guess it - white players

there are black players with relatively poor wingspans/standing reach - (monta ellis, kemba walker, etc) but these guys are almost always plus athletes.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#66 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:25 am

beach house wrote:former nbadraft.net number cruncher here.

when we did player projections we used a combinatory metric that was heavily based off of physical measurements
we used things like the eye test, play styles, stat projections, stat extrapolations, etc
when we lacked data in one area we simply tweaked the metric by voiding the variable set to database cross-correlation coefficient index to account for it

college/overseas/high school to nba stat extrapolation is extremely unreliable. physical measurements, however, translate better. this discrepancy is actually consistent enough to qualify as being "statistically significant" (with confidence interval of 97%)

thing is, many white players are european and thus we lacked data for them so physical measurements often had a disproportionate influence on the players' projections

also, white players with damn good athleticism numbers are common, but many white players still have very short wingspans and standing reaches with respect to height (compared to black players). white players with good athleticism numbers + good physical measurements are even rarer.

so when we compile the data to find matching current players white players are often matched with players with similar physical attributes, especially euro players with missing variable sets where physical attributes have a disproportionate effect on data.

lo and behold white prospects often get compared to former/current players with lower than nba average wingspan/height ratio and athleticism numbers. this latter group consists largely of guess it - white players

there are black players with relatively poor wingspans/standing reach - (monta ellis, kemba walker, etc) but these guys are almost always plus athletes.

Very interesting post, I never really correlated white guys with having short arms, but that's probably because I have orangutan limbs.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#67 » by Xherdan 23 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:52 am

zronv7 wrote:I got some bad news op, that's what comparison is. would you compare a green apple to a red apple or another green apple? Have some common sense

If you scout a green apple and your best comparison is a watermelon since they're both green and round, you're a moron.
Green apples should be compared to red apples in this context.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
zronv7
Starter
And1: 1,191

Post#68 » by zronv7 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote:
zronv7 wrote:I got some bad news op, that's what comparison is. would you compare a green apple to a red apple or another green apple? Have some common sense

If you scout a green apple and your best comparison is a watermelon since they're both green and round, you're a moron.

Where in my post did I mention a watermelon? Two totally different things...comparing a watermelon to an apple is like comparing a human to a horse, pretty bad analogy you came up there, strong first post btw
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer

Post#69 » by Xherdan 23 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:35 pm

zronv7 wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote:

Where in my post did I mention a watermelon? Two totally different things...comparing a watermelon to an apple is like comparing a human to a horse, pretty bad analogy you came up there, strong first post btw

You said comparing a green apple to a green apple is common sense. That's good - you matched the colors correctly :nod:
Problem is when comparing basketball players their color is irrelevant, You should be looking at skills.
You're probably one of the people who thinks Bender's NBA comp is Nowitzki.
BTW, just because you spew your opinions in more posts than me doesn't make you right.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
The411
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Post#70 » by The411 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:25 pm

A white man wants to win first, look good second. A black man wants to look good first, win second.

A black man would rather miss than look bad.
Isma
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#71 » by Isma » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:51 pm

The411 wrote:A white man wants to win first, look good second. A black man wants to look good first, win second.

2016 :banghead:
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,535

Post#72 » by Greatness » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:26 pm

The411 wrote:A white man wants to win first, look good second. A black man wants to look good first, win second.

I hope you enjoyed your stay here.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer

Post#73 » by Xherdan 23 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:47 pm

You may be white but you're not a man.
You're a pathetic little **** and I'm sorry you exist
:nonono:
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#74 » by bmurph128 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:04 pm

xRapHeadx wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
xRapHeadx wrote:
The problem is that you can arbitrarily assign the designation of "high IQ" player without having any evidence to back it up. Even defining it is hard, and that arbitrariness of the term is going to lead to racist and garbage takes, which it constantly does.

How do you quantify speed? Athleticism? Heart/desire? These are all things that we SEE, but there's never really any quantitative proof that they exist. Take speed for example...

Jerry Rice ran what, a 4.7 40? But he routinely beat guys with his speed, because it's not really quantifiable either. It's something we can see though, just like basketball IQ.

When you watch LeBron or CP3 play, you can see their high basketball IQ. Same with Draymond IMO. Curry? You can see that it's lacking at times. When you watch anyone in any sports, you can see what attributes they have. Bball IQ is no different.

You can actually quantify speed by taking measure of how quickly a player can traverse from one distance to another. "Athleticism" is a term that combines other measurable qualities like leaping ability, speed, short area quickness, change of direction skills. All of which can be quantified and measured.

You can see whatever you want. These players you call low IQ know more about basketball than you ever will.

One, I never said I knew more about basketball than them - what you said is like me saying the slowest NBA player will always be faster than you. That's not breaking news.

You can quantify and measure bball IQ the same way - with a test. That's what you are referring to - are tests designed to measure speed, short area quickness and leaping ability. It's every bit as important to test a players knowledge as it is their athletic traits.

But how a player tests, both in speed and IQ, don't mean much on the court....i.e. my example about Jerry Rice. When a team meets with a player before drafting him I'm sure they are giving him tests or asking him to diagnose plays on a white board. It's really not that different from measuring how fast someone is - they might do poorly when tested for that specific thing but then stand out in games.
xRapHeadx
Lead Assistant
And1: 124

Post#75 » by xRapHeadx » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Novocaine wrote:
xRapHeadx wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Can I quantify it? No. But I don't think its all that hard to see who has a great understanding of the game and who doesn't.

And sure I guess some people use it insult black men's intelligence, but I think most are able to separate intelligence from basketball IQ. For instance Westbrook gets criticized for low IQ plays at times, but I think most everyone understands that he is a very intelligent person overall.

But when you start talking about highest basketball IQ's of all-time it's almost all black players with the exception of Bird: Russell, Lebron, Kidd, Magic, Paul.

I'm not saying you are totally wrong, but essentially what you are saying is that lazy and racist people exist. That sucks but it's really got very little to do with basketball IQ.

I mean on the flip side, not all white players hustle really hard and always know where they are supposed to be at all times. But people make negative assumptions about white people's athleticism and figure the only way they make it is for those reasons. It's stupid that direction as well.

What on earth? That's just profoundly and deeply stupid. Leave tumbrl out of basketball. If one can only describe players by things that are "quantifiable", one might as well stop trying to describe them. You must have a very low IQ to not figure this out and I don't mean the basketball one. Low basketball IQ doesn't even have to do with how intelligent or unintelligent individuals are off the court.

and just like that, you use low IQ as an insult. Stop using things you can't quantify to describe players. That's entirely my point you racist prick.
Coxy wrote:Well, that is very true indeed. Weed and playstation is like peas and carrotts.
xRapHeadx
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by xRapHeadx » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
xRapHeadx wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
Andrea Bargnani, Eddy Curry

So you can't quantify them?

Lol wtf? Can you quantify ambition? love? hate? You clearly just want to play the victim so whatever

Don't want to play victim. I want people to stop using an insult they can't even prove against black men. Period.
Coxy wrote:Well, that is very true indeed. Weed and playstation is like peas and carrotts.
xRapHeadx
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by xRapHeadx » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
xRapHeadx wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with this. I think "basketball IQ" is disproportionately used to critique young one and done players' games. Lillard and McCollum were both noted for "crafty and cerebral games" when they came out. What's likely happening is that most young one and done players are black. These players are also underdeveloped, and need time to sort out certain aspects of their game. Long tenured college players are almost always noted for their polish and basketball intelligence, while one and done type players are almost always noted for their athleticism and potential.... for obvious non-racist reasons.

and one and done players are overwhelmingly black. "Low BBIQ" is also an insult for NBA vets like JR Smith who has forgotten more about basketball than the people insulting will ever know.

Correlation does not equal causation.... JR Smith spent about 10 years taking terrible shots... he deserves his rep.

Rep as what? A bad shot taker? See, that's quantifiable. You can observe JR's shooting percentage in certain situations and draw the conclusions that he takes poor shots. It takes a darker turn when you extrapolate that to say he has "low BBIQ"
Beffiosa
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,436

Post#78 » by Beffiosa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:21 pm

I would assume you are neither black nor white since you have no problem with looking bad while coming across like a loser.
You can't out train bad Nutrition
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#79 » by Novocaine » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:25 pm

xRapHeadx wrote:
Novocaine wrote:
xRapHeadx wrote:

and just like that, you use low IQ as an insult. Stop using things you can't quantify to describe players. That's entirely my point you racist prick.

Aww, you called someone in a message board a "racist prick" because they disagreed with you. Don't you feel so righteous and morally superior right now?

When every aspect of the game, and in particular every decision every player makes, is quantifiable and quantified, I'll do that. Until then, I'll describe players using "things" that nobody can't quantify with any sort of accuracy and yet still exist and impact the game. And if you think calling people racists will persuade anyone to stop doing it, you have some growing up to do.
Big Mac Biyombo
Analyst
And1: 8,068

Post#80 » by Big Mac Biyombo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Clearly none of these kids trashing you have seen the greatest basketball movie of all time.
Raptorstopfan wrote:Demar is inarguably the best jump shooter NBA has seen in a long long time.

Return to The General Board