Carmelo Anthony urges athletes to speak out against injustice

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Carmelo Anthony urges athletes to speak out against injustice 

Post#1 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:34 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16893918/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-asks-athletes-step-demand-change?ex_cid=sportscenterFB&sf30551991=1

Props to Carmelo for encouraging other athletes to speak out against injustice and to stop worrying about endorsements.

"Shooting 11 cops and killing 5 WILL NOT work," Anthony wrote on Instagram. "... I'm calling for all my fellow ATHLETES to step up and take charge. Go to your local officials, leaders, congressman, assemblymen/assemblywoman and demand change. There's NO more sitting back and being afraid of tackling and addressing political issues anymore. Those days are long gone. We have to step up and take charge.

"We can't worry about what endorsements we gonna lose or whose going to look at us crazy. I need your voices to be heard. We can demand change. We just have to be willing to. THE TIME IS NOW. IM all in. Take Charge. Take Action. DEMAND CHANGE."
Knickkilla
Starter
And1: 615

Re: Carmelo Anthony urges athletes to speak out against injustice 

Post#2 » by Knickkilla » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:36 pm

Melo always putting in work when it comes to these injustices, just like when he was standing up for Freddie Grey in BMore last year
#‎NBAVote‬ Carmelo Anthony
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,225

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:37 pm

Good on Melo.

And in before a bunch of stupid people shoe in their own political nonsense. Please keep that garbage out of this thread.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#4 » by Jedi32 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:41 pm

Props to Melo.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,190

Post#5 » by Infinite Llamas » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:43 pm

Many may think of Carmelo as a selfish player, but there's nothing selfish about his message.

I applaud the man.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#6 » by wickedwrister » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:43 pm

Good for him.

I kill his play on the court but seems like he may be winning off it.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#7 » by StatLine » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:46 pm

He may never win a championship, but it's things like these that will let you be remembered
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#8 » by JulesWinnfield » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:47 pm

The easiest thing in the world to do here is pat him on the back. But he's being vague as hell. Make a promise with some teeth in it. Go to your local congressman and demand action? Or what? That's where it gets real. What's he willing to do? What's he willing to give up? Boycott what? That's not something he outlines at all. He's frustrated, I get it. But he's not actually outlining much of a plan to do anything.
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,477

Post#9 » by Flopper » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:01 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:The easiest thing in the world to do here is pat him on the back. But he's being vague as hell. Make a promise with some teeth in it. Go to your local congressman and demand action? Or what? That's where it gets real. What's he willing to do? What's he willing to give up? Boycott what? That's not something he outlines at all. He's frustrated, I get it. But he's not actually outlining much of a plan to do anything. It just reads like rah rah zis boom bah

I think you're missing the point. He's trying to motivate high profile athletes to make their voices heard rather than remaining silent. Any person committed to making a change should have no problem figuring out the who and what.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,162

Post#10 » by LLJ » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:03 pm

I want his money
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by JulesWinnfield » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:10 pm

Flopper wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:The easiest thing in the world to do here is pat him on the back. But he's being vague as hell. Make a promise with some teeth in it. Go to your local congressman and demand action? Or what? That's where it gets real. What's he willing to do? What's he willing to give up? Boycott what? That's not something he outlines at all. He's frustrated, I get it. But he's not actually outlining much of a plan to do anything. It just reads like rah rah zis boom bah

I think you're missing the point. He's trying to motivate high profile athletes to make their voices heard rather than remaining silent. Any person committed to making a change should have no problem figuring out the who and what.

This generation of NBA players is pretty good with that compared to a generation before them. We saw that with the trayvon and Eric garner fallout. It's a long way from Michael Jordan's "republicans buy sneakers too" nonsense when he refused to endorse the democratic opponent of the racist republican candidate running in North Carolina that one election cycle a couple decades ago

Still though... The easiest thing in the world to do here is say "way to go Melo", when he's not really doing anything. Go tell me what you're willing to give up to make a point. Going to your local congressman and "demanding" change isn't going to a damn thing. That representative is going to vote the desires of his constituents on a given issue one way or the other, not because Carmelo Anthony "demands" him to do anything. And what's he demanding change on? What law does he want passed or changed? What policies to be enacted? It makes for a nice post, it allows him to appear conscientious, but it's hollow as hell unless he's willing to put teeth into it
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#12 » by wickedwrister » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:23 pm

In many ways the fact that Carmelo needs to say this is part of the negative legacy Jordan left behind. In the 70's and 80's guys like Jim Brown, Jabbar and Ali were outspoken social advocates using their platform to create change in the world. Jordan famously talked about how people of all political beliefs buy sneakers too and this he was not going to ruffle any feathers. I think there has been a hole in American sports since then of the top athletes not taking political/social stances. Glad to see Melo breaking free of that mold.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
Carlos_Danger
Junior
And1: 623

Post#13 » by Carlos_Danger » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:24 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Good on Melo.

And in before a bunch of stupid people shoe in their own political nonsense. Please keep that garbage out of this thread.

I'm cool with athletes doing this kind of thing as long as they also don't spew political nonsense.

Athletes using their platform to call for injustice to be recognized and addressed is great. It's not great when they also spew misinformed talking points. Nothing like that from Carmelo here, so kudos to him for being far more intelligent than the mouth-breathing rubes that will soon come out of the woodwork with hot takes on "military style assault weapons of war" and "high capacity clips"

JulesWinnfield wrote:And what's he demanding change on? What law does he want passed or changed? What policies to be enacted? It makes for a nice post, it allows him to appear conscientious, but it's hollow as hell unless he's willing to put teeth into it

This is exactly what he should NOT do unless in his spare time he happens to have become an expert on the relevant subject matter who would be well suited to making specific policy proposals. When celebrities who don't have a clue try this they end up regurgitating mindless talking points and nonsense, cancelling out any positive effect from simply using their celebrity to help shed light on something and help spur others to recognize problems. A wise man understands his limits.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,126

Post#14 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:24 pm

StatLine wrote:He may never win a championship, but it's things like these that will let you be remembered

Unfortunately, this probably wont even be remembered by next week
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by JulesWinnfield » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:35 pm

Carlos_Danger wrote:

I'm cool with athletes doing this kind of thing as long as they also don't spew political nonsense.

Athletes using their platform to call for injustice to be recognized and addressed is great. It's not great when they also spew misinformed talking points. Nothing like that from Carmelo here, so kudos to him for being far more intelligent than the mouth-breathing rubes that will soon come out of the woodwork with hot takes on "military style assault weapons of war" and "high capacity clips"

JulesWinnfield wrote:And what's he demanding change on? What law does he want passed or changed? What policies to be enacted? It makes for a nice post, it allows him to appear conscientious, but it's hollow as hell unless he's willing to put teeth into it

This is exactly what he should NOT do unless in his spare time he happens to have become an expert on the relevant subject matter who would be well suited to making specific policy proposals. When celebrities who don't have a clue try this they end up regurgitating mindless talking points and nonsense, cancelling out any positive effect from simply using their celebrity to help shed light on something and help spur others to recognize problems. A wise man understands his limits.

Thinking about it... I think you're absolutely dead on about that aspect of my critique. I would still like to know what lengths he is willing to go though that could impact him adversely as a businessman
stephanieg
Suspended
And1: 134

Post#16 » by stephanieg » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:40 pm

People love when athletes speak up on real world issues, as long as they agree with them.
Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Post#17 » by Fico92 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:46 pm

Carlos_Danger wrote:

so kudos to him for being far more intelligent than the mouth-breathing rubes that will soon come out of the woodwork with hot takes on "military style assault weapons of war" and "high capacity clips"

Yeah, and the mouth breathing rubes that will come out with "ya ain't takin my guns!" and "But the constitution says!!".
Moose10Fan
Veteran
And1: 2,551

Post#18 » by Moose10Fan » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:51 pm

Honestly, I prefer athletes to stay out of this stuff, much like actors.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#19 » by improper » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:51 pm

Paying Carmelo max money is an injustice.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#20 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 7:53 pm

TC's post is a warning - any garbage posting will result in an automatic strike.

Anyways, good for Melo to speak out, as he usually does, on politically charged matters. He's right - athletes should use their position as role models to speak out against injustices.

Return to The General Board