Carmelo Anthony urges athletes to speak out against injustice

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Re: Carmelo Anthony urges athletes to speak out against injustice 

Post#41 » by ChilledAlex » Sat Jul 9, 2016 11:34 am

JulesWinnfield wrote:The easiest thing in the world to do here is pat him on the back. But he's being vague as hell. Make a promise with some teeth in it. Go to your local congressman and demand action? Or what? That's where it gets real. What's he willing to do? What's he willing to give up? Boycott what? That's not something he outlines at all. He's frustrated, I get it. But he's not actually outlining much of a plan to do anything.

Well its not his job and he is addressing people to turn to those whos job it is to take care of it..

makes sense right?
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,138

Post#42 » by Kampuchea » Sat Jul 9, 2016 12:32 pm

improper wrote:Paying Carmelo max money is an injustice.

Personally I feel his contract looks great especially with the recent increase in max contract levels.

Can you detail further why you think his contract is unjust?
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#43 » by E-Balla » Sat Jul 9, 2016 12:53 pm

SkyHook wrote:While his plea is admirable, is it relevant to point out that Carmelo's "Stop Snitching" stance is part of the problem? I'm going to judge his current words and actions in light of the historical context that he has created.

Stop snitching isn't part of any problem. Stop snitching is a message to people in that life not citizens and if cops didn't let their witnesses get killed so often regular people would start talking to them.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#44 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Sat Jul 9, 2016 2:29 pm

SkyHook wrote:While his plea is admirable, is it relevant to point out that Carmelo's "Stop Snitching" stance is part of the problem? I'm going to judge his current words and actions in light of the historical context that he has created.

Actually, it's completely BS to bring that up. Some people wanted to video him, he agreed. If I recall correctly, he didn't even know they were going to be putting it in a video, let a lone one about not snitching.

Of course since Melo was someone the general board decided to hate, none of that ever gets mentioned.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#45 » by Amsterdam » Sat Jul 9, 2016 2:36 pm

arenas809 wrote:
StatLine wrote:He may never win a championship, but it's things like these that will let you be remembered

If he really wanted to take a stand, he could bow out of the Olympics.

Making statements on IG and Twitter activism only gives the appearance of doing something.

The people that control the gun laws or law enforcement/public relations, don't give a sht if he participates in the Olympics or not. Melo would only be punishing fans and teammates. What he has done, is call media attention from a different platform and that is good. More public figures SHOULD follow.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,039

Post#46 » by jazzfan1971 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 2:48 pm

ChilledAlex wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:The easiest thing in the world to do here is pat him on the back. But he's being vague as hell. Make a promise with some teeth in it. Go to your local congressman and demand action? Or what? That's where it gets real. What's he willing to do? What's he willing to give up? Boycott what? That's not something he outlines at all. He's frustrated, I get it. But he's not actually outlining much of a plan to do anything.

Well its not his job and he is addressing people to turn to those whos job it is to take care of it..

makes sense right?

http://www.joincampaignzero.org/solutions/#solutionsoverview

It would have been nice if Carmello would have pointed folks in this direction instead of being purposefully vague.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,732

Post#47 » by SkyHook » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:18 pm

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:

Actually, it's completely BS to bring that up. Some people wanted to video him, he agreed. If I recall correctly, he didn't even know they were going to be putting it in a video, let a lone one about not snitching.

Of course since Melo was someone the general board decided to hate, none of that ever gets mentioned.

The target of much of the venom in the "Stop Snitching" DVD is Tyree Stewart, a marijuana kingpin who reportedly once tooled around West Baltimore in a $100,000 Mercedes. Almost from the moment he was busted in 2003, he has been arranging drug buys between associates and undercover officers.

"Tyree ran our neighborhood," Anthony says. "Now he's working with the state and the feds. You can't do that. He turned his back on the 'hood."

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2296590&columnist=farrey_tom
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#48 » by therealbig3 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:19 pm

What makes it ok for any of us to talk about politics, but it's not ok for athletes or actors to? What makes any of us experts?

How do you know that these guys aren't reading up on current events and don't have an idea of what's going on?

I mean, unless you have a job IN politics or journalism, you're not an expert on everything that's going on either, and yet people have no problem giving their opinion on things. But if an athlete or actor does the same thing, they're "ignorant"? I'm thinking it's just because a lot of people don't like the stance they're taking, and it's much easier to call them dumb than to argue the points.

Even though speaking about actors specifically, many of them are incredibly intelligent and socially aware, since that's part of their job in a sense.
SkyHook
Veteran

Post#49 » by SkyHook » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:23 pm

SkyHook wrote:
Nutty Nats Fan wrote:

The target of much of the venom in the "Stop Snitching" DVD is Tyree Stewart, a marijuana kingpin who reportedly once tooled around West Baltimore in a $100,000 Mercedes. Almost from the moment he was busted in 2003, he has been arranging drug buys between associates and undercover officers.

"Tyree ran our neighborhood," Anthony says. "Now he's working with the state and the feds. You can't do that. He turned his back on the 'hood."

And anyone from that environment, not just Anthony, knows the term, Snitches get stitches. Asked how many pro athletes from high-crime areas would help police identify criminals, fellow Baltimore native and NBA veteran Sam Cassell said, "One hundred percent of them would say no. A hundred. If I see five guys doing something [illegal] on the street, I'm going to look the other way and hope I don't see no more. Is that right? No, that's not right. But life's not right sometimes."

SkyHook
Veteran

Post#50 » by SkyHook » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:24 pm

SkyHook wrote:
SkyHook wrote:
Nutty Nats Fan wrote:Actually, it's completely BS to bring that up. Some people wanted to video him, he agreed. If I recall correctly, he didn't even know they were going to be putting it in a video, let a lone one about not snitching.

And anyone from that environment, not just Anthony, knows the term, Snitches get stitches. Asked how many pro athletes from high-crime areas would help police identify criminals, fellow Baltimore native and NBA veteran Sam Cassell said, "One hundred percent of them would say no. A hundred. If I see five guys doing something [illegal] on the street, I'm going to look the other way and hope I don't see no more. Is that right? No, that's not right. But life's not right sometimes."

Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#51 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:58 pm

SkyHook wrote:
Nutty Nats Fan wrote:

You seem to be taking things out of context and in a way that makes Melo look bad.

You should have posted this part from the article. Seems to be more relevant:
"The message totally got lost," says Rodney Bethea, who is also a Baltimore barber. "The people in this documentary are referring to fellow criminals who snitch. And they're saying, stop doing that. You did the crime, you do the time."
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#52 » by EddieJonesFan » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:02 pm

I love the implication by Melo that all the players have the same politics.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,458

Post#53 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:15 pm

Fact is that, recent events of this week is the status quo here in America.

I honestly don't know what needs to happen for there is be a change... but this is just all too common place nowadays.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#54 » by improper » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:18 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
improper wrote:Paying Carmelo max money is an injustice.

Personally I feel his contract looks great especially with the recent increase in max contract levels.

Can you detail further why you think his contract is unjust?

I don't really care it was just a joke.
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#55 » by Bubstubbler » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:36 pm

I think Melo is proposing a bad thing.

Athletes don't have any sort of special insight into justice, they just have a larger platform. So they're not going to be adding or elucidating any extra truth or relevance, they're just going to be interjecting (at blast volume) and propagating their own individual misunderstandings, biases, and general ignorance. That's not helpful to anyone or anything at all (except to the puppetmasters), just like yelling your points louder in an argument doesn't help make your case any better. That type of strategy isn't aimed at uncovering truth or settling on 'the right way to do things', it's simply aimed at 'getting what I want'. Using that sort of strategy for serious grown-up issues is childish and dumb.

IMO, it's a bad thing when stupid, ignorant, uninformed, willfully misled people stand up on a soapbox and try to use their celebrity status to sway the minds of other people. The proper and respectable tool to use to sway minds is GOOD REASONING, and it's disgusting and disheartening to see dumb people trying to use other means. It's especially sad seeing other dumb people cheering them on and patting the back of their fellow morons for their 'brave' ramblings.

Under the direction of a very small handful of people who own the major media (and who view both blacks and whites as pawns), those outlets are cherry-picking stories in order to trick stupid people into believing certain narratives, and boy oh boy is it sure working well. Masses of morons are being played and whipped into a frenzy by some incredibly smart and manipulative people. The puppetmasters are rubbing their hands with glee and laughing aloud at how easily they've been able to trick and manipulate Melo and the people in the street. Their plan is to incite an artificial race-war between blacks and whites as a means of controlling and maintaining power; to them, blacks are dogs/slaves and whites are grunts/slaves, and rather than allow all those slaves of both colors to coalesce and take aim at the ruling elite, the master manipulators work to trick blacks and whites into fighting against each other. It's a power strategy as old as the mountains.

In a country of 300 million people, it would be just as easy to create false narratives about the police being ANYTHING: show just the clips of them mistreating redheads, and you could push the narrative that there's a big problem with police attacking redheads; show just the clips of them rescuing kittens, and you could push the narrative that they're just wasting all their time saving kittens; etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. In reality, a cop is 18 times more likely to be shot by a black man, than an unarmed black man is to be shot by a cop, but the media falsely misrepresents reality in order to trick people and incite unrest. So shall we drop the false narratives and build a better world with our fellow man, or shall we keep being suckered by the lies and go down in flames? I vote for the former, but it seems I am losing the vote in a landslide.

There is a game afoot, and it is much grander and more serious than the story being fed to you by your puppet masters. Stop being stupid, stop being manipulated, and stop blaming and raging against your fellow slaves. Blacks who blame whites for their problems are being played, and whites who blame blacks for their problems are being played. Wake up, people.
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#56 » by LeMasta » Sat Jul 9, 2016 5:14 pm

Feel like issues like these isolate the police and the community even more which is definitely not a good thing. The trust factor is just not there, especially with guns all over the place and people filled with paranoia, prejudice.
What will you do America...
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#57 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 7:55 pm

The fact that he says he doesn't have a solution, that he wants to fight for "OUR" people, which shows a lack of understanding how the system screws all races, and that he thinks answers will come in the form of putting pressure on politicians all show he really doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.
ubernathan
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#58 » by ubernathan » Sat Jul 9, 2016 8:11 pm

Bubstubbler wrote:I think Melo is proposing a bad thing.

Athletes don't have any sort of special insight into justice, they just have a larger platform. So they're not going to be adding or elucidating any extra truth or relevance, they're just going to be interjecting (at blast volume) and propagating their own individual misunderstandings, biases, and general ignorance. That's not helpful to anyone or anything at all (except to the puppetmasters), just like yelling your points louder in an argument doesn't help make your case any better. That type of strategy isn't aimed at uncovering truth or settling on 'the right way to do things', it's simply aimed at 'getting what I want'. Using that sort of strategy for serious grown-up issues is childish and dumb.

IMO, it's a bad thing when stupid, ignorant, uninformed, willfully misled people stand up on a soapbox and try to use their celebrity status to sway the minds of other people. The proper and respectable tool to use to sway minds is GOOD REASONING, and it's disgusting and disheartening to see dumb people trying to use other means. It's especially sad seeing other dumb people cheering them on and patting the back of their fellow morons for their 'brave' ramblings.

Under the direction of a very small handful of people who own the major liberal media (who are neither black nor white), those outlets are cherry-picking stories in order to trick stupid people into believing certain narratives, and boy oh boy is it sure working well. Masses of morons are being played and whipped into a frenzy by some incredibly smart and manipulative people. The puppetmasters are rubbing their hands with glee and laughing aloud at how easily they've been able to trick and manipulate Melo and the people in the street. Their plan is to incite an artificial race-war between blacks and whites as a means of controlling and maintaining power; to them, blacks are dogs/slaves and whites are grunts/slaves, and rather than allow all those slaves of both colors to coalesce and take aim at the ruling elite, the master manipulators work to trick blacks and whites into fighting against each other. It's a power strategy as old as the mountains.

In a county of 300 million people, it would be just as easy to create false narratives about the police being ANYTHING: show just the clips of them mistreating redheads, and you could push the narrative that there's a big problem with police attacking redheads; show just the clips of them rescuing kittens, and you could push the narrative that they're just wasting all their time saving kittens; etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. In reality, a white cop is 18 times more likely to be shot by a black man, than an unarmed black man is to be shot by a white cop, but the media falsely misrepresents reality in order to trick people and incite unrest. So shall we drop the false narratives and build a better world with our fellow man, or shall we keep being suckered by the lies and go down in flames? I vote for the former, but it seems I am losing the vote in a landslide.

There is a game afoot, and it is much grander and more serious than the story being fed to you by your puppet masters. Stop being stupid, stop being manipulated, and stop blaming and raging against your fellow slaves. Blacks who blame whites for their problems are being played, and whites who blame blacks for their problems are being played. Wake up, people.

Any credible evidence for these outlandish claims or is it just hyperbole and conjecture?
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,293

Post#59 » by sip » Sat Jul 9, 2016 8:24 pm

This whole Black Lives Matter stuff just comes off as a bunch of bull to me since black lives don't seem to matter to actually black people. If this movement actually gave a damn about black people rather than just publicity they would be protesting all the black on black crime that goes on every day. How about protest the recent murder of 3 people outside a liquor store in San Bernadino where a 9yr old kid was executed.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,061

Post#60 » by tidho » Sat Jul 9, 2016 8:28 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:The fact that he says he doesn't have a solution, that he wants to fight for "OUR" people, which shows a lack of understanding how the system screws all races, and that he thinks answers will come in the form of putting pressure on politicians all show he really doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

I support his right to say anything he wants, and I'm sure he means well, but with the 'our people' comment he's already missed the mark. So little of what's going wrong has anything to do with the government, and it certainly has even less to do with the federal legislature, whom he seems to want to involve.

Return to The General Board