Carmelo Anthony urges athletes to speak out against injustice

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Carmelo Anthony urges athletes to speak out against injustice 

Post#61 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 8:58 pm

tidho wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:The fact that he says he doesn't have a solution, that he wants to fight for "OUR" people, which shows a lack of understanding how the system screws all races, and that he thinks answers will come in the form of putting pressure on politicians all show he really doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

I support his right to say anything he wants, and I'm sure he means well, but with the 'our people' comment he's already missed the mark. So little of what's going wrong has anything to do with the government, and it certainly has even less to do with the federal legislature, whom he seems to want to involve.

Well, I'd say a lot has to do with the government. I just think people are being very naive if they think giving the same entity that has a monopoly on force more power will accomplish anything constructive. Police already get away with murder(literally), so asking politicians to fix a solution isn't going to help in any way shape or form. The only thing a politician can do is write more laws which won't solve anything.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,869

Post#62 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jul 9, 2016 8:59 pm

I agree with others on this thread. What the **** is speaking out gonna do?

What does Melo actually want people to do about it? Its easy to make an Instagram post about doing something.

Melo is worth millions and plays in one of the most important cities in the world. Imagine if he actually organized something. Or put pressure on politicians to do something about it. Or even if he helped campaign for candidates he felt were addressing the issue.

Instead we leave in an era where athletes are so apolitical that making an Instagram post is lauded as doing something.

Muhammad Ali is rolling in his grave.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,902

Re: Re: Re: Carmelo Anthony urges athletes to speak out against injustice 

Post#63 » by chrismikayla » Sat Jul 9, 2016 9:22 pm

Bubstubbler wrote:I think Melo is proposing a bad thing.

Athletes don't have any sort of special insight into justice, they just have a larger platform. So they're not going to be adding or elucidating any extra truth or relevance, they're just going to be interjecting (at blast volume) and propagating their own individual misunderstandings, biases, and general ignorance. That's not helpful to anyone or anything at all (except to the puppetmasters), just like yelling your points louder in an argument doesn't help make your case any better. That type of strategy isn't aimed at uncovering truth or settling on 'the right way to do things', it's simply aimed at 'getting what I want'. Using that sort of strategy for serious grown-up issues is childish and dumb.

IMO, it's a bad thing when stupid, ignorant, uninformed, willfully misled people stand up on a soapbox and try to use their celebrity status to sway the minds of other people. The proper and respectable tool to use to sway minds is GOOD REASONING, and it's disgusting and disheartening to see dumb people trying to use other means. It's especially sad seeing other dumb people cheering them on and patting the back of their fellow morons for their 'brave' ramblings.

Under the direction of a very small handful of people who own the major liberal media (who are neither black nor white), those outlets are cherry-picking stories in order to trick stupid people into believing certain narratives, and boy oh boy is it sure working well. Masses of morons are being played and whipped into a frenzy by some incredibly smart and manipulative people. The puppetmasters are rubbing their hands with glee and laughing aloud at how easily they've been able to trick and manipulate Melo and the people in the street. Their plan is to incite an artificial race-war between blacks and whites as a means of controlling and maintaining power; to them, blacks are dogs/slaves and whites are grunts/slaves, and rather than allow all those slaves of both colors to coalesce and take aim at the ruling elite, the master manipulators work to trick blacks and whites into fighting against each other. It's a power strategy as old as the mountains.

In a county of 300 million people, it would be just as easy to create false narratives about the police being ANYTHING: show just the clips of them mistreating redheads, and you could push the narrative that there's a big problem with police attacking redheads; show just the clips of them rescuing kittens, and you could push the narrative that they're just wasting all their time saving kittens; etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. In reality, a white cop is 18 times more likely to be shot by a black man, than an unarmed black man is to be shot by a white cop, but the media falsely misrepresents reality in order to trick people and incite unrest. So shall we drop the false narratives and build a better world with our fellow man, or shall we keep being suckered by the lies and go down in flames? I vote for the former, but it seems I am losing the vote in a landslide.

There is a game afoot, and it is much grander and more serious than the story being fed to you by your puppet masters. Stop being stupid, stop being manipulated, and stop blaming and raging against your fellow slaves. Blacks who blame whites for their problems are being played, and whites who blame blacks for their problems are being played. Wake up, people.

Is this another way of saying all athletes are dumb?
[gfycat][/gfycat]
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,902

Re: Re: Re: Carmelo Anthony urges athletes to speak out against injustice 

Post#64 » by chrismikayla » Sat Jul 9, 2016 9:28 pm

sip wrote:This whole Black Lives Matter stuff just comes off as a bunch of bull to me since black lives don't seem to matter to actually black people. If this movement actually gave a damn about black people rather than just publicity they would be protesting all the black on black crime that goes on every day. How about protest the recent murder of 3 people outside a liquor store in San Bernadino where a 9yr old kid was executed.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to bring this up again.
[gfycat][/gfycat]
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,735

Post#65 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 9:32 pm

StatLine wrote:He may never win a championship, but it's things like these that will let you be remembered

This. Far too many people focus on how player X has to win X number of championships or his legacy won't be as impactful as one might want. I call BS on that. Good people are remembered.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#66 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 10:00 pm

sip wrote:This whole Black Lives Matter stuff just comes off as a bunch of bull to me since black lives don't seem to matter to actually black people. If this movement actually gave a damn about black people rather than just publicity they would be protesting all the black on black crime that goes on every day. How about protest the recent murder of 3 people outside a liquor store in San Bernadino where a 9yr old kid was executed.

Well, if you think about it, there has to be trust between black communities and police before black on black crime can be reduced.

https://www.rt.com/usa/usa-cia-drugs-poor-americas/

Once solution to reduce black on black crime and the filling of jails with black males, is the decriminalization of all drugs and the set up of safe injection sites so those who are hooked can be safe and get counseling. Drug abuse is a health problem and not a criminal justice problem. Take the profit motive away from gangs and violence with diminish.

Ron Paul, the Libertarian doctor, had some ideas that were out there, but I do agree with his stance on drugs and the fact he believed that the American justice system was racist. http://www.issues2000.org/tx/Ron_Paul_Drugs.htm
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#67 » by Bubstubbler » Sat Jul 9, 2016 10:34 pm

ubernathan wrote:Any credible evidence for these outlandish claims or is it just hyperbole and conjecture?

I presume you're referring to the '18 times' stat? If so, that's in reference to some research I heard quoted on the radio today by an author named Heather MacDonald, from her book The War on Cops:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/07/08/heather_mac_donald_talks_about_her_essential_book_the_war_on_cops

MAC DONALD: Well, let's look at some of the numbers. I know numbers are sometimes tough over the radio, but a larger proportion of white and Hispanic homicide deaths are the results of police killings than black homicide deaths. That is, 12 percent of all whites and Hispanics who die of homicide are killed by police officers. Four percent of all blacks, homicide victims, are killed by police officers. So if we're going to have an Anti‑Cop Lives Matter movement it would make more sense to call it White and Hispanic Lives Matter.

The fact is that over 6,000 blacks die of homicide each year. That is more than white and Hispanic homicide victims combined, even though blacks are 13 percent of the nation's population. And the reason they are dying of homicide at a rate six times higher than whites and Hispanics combined is because they commit homicide at eight times the rate higher than whites and Hispanics combined. And that type of crime disparity means that when the police are trying to save lives, they are in minority neighborhoods confronting people engaged in drive‑by shootings, killing children.

In the last 72 hours in Chicago there's been about four children under the age of eight who have been shot. One boy shot in the back on Father's Day. A three‑year‑old boy was shot. He's now paralyzed for life. That's who police are trying to protect. But given the disparities in crime rates the police cannot help but be in minority neighborhoods where they're confronting violent and resisting suspects and sometimes officers themselves will have to use force to protect themselves and protect innocent bystanders.

RUSH: Heather, you've just alluded to something that's highly politically incorrect. You've just given numbers, hard evidence, on what is called black-on-black crime. You're not supposed to mention that during incidents like this because the only thing you're supposed to talk about, Heather, is how vicious racist white cops are hunting down innocent black men in neighborhoods. That's the narrative. That's what inner-city youths are being taught. That's what they're being told.

MAC DONALD: Rush, here's another very politically incorrect fact, and I don't want to racialize policing, people should not. But if we're going to talk about race and policing, let's talk about cop killings. Over the last decade, black males made up 40 percent of all cop killers, even though they're six percent of the population. It turns out, Rush, that a police officer is 18-and-a-half times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is likely to be killed by a police officer.

RUSH: Say that again. She said this to me in the interview yesterday and I was sitting here with my mouth open. We just don't hear this. This is the result of your research. You're not making this up. You're not opinionizing. This is it. Say that one more time.

MAC DONALD: Again, you can look at the data on police shootings. If you look at those numbers, and it's in my book, the arithmetic that I generated this by, a police officer is 18-and-a-half times more likely to be shot by a black male than an unarmed black male is likely to be shot by a police officer. So, again, there's been an effort in Chicago by some city aldermen there to create a Blue Lives Matter law. And that has been attacked as racist by the Black Lives Matter activists out there and the ACLU.

But in fact it makes a lot of sense to have a Blue Lives Matter movement because officers are putting their lives on the line every day. They were running towards the shooting scene in Dallas last night as they run towards shooting scenes in inner cities on a daily basis to try and protect children. We don't know the names of these black children who have been killed because the Black Lives Matter activists don't care to talk about it.

In Cleveland in September of 2015, three children under the age of five were murdered by drive-by shootings, leading the police chief there, who happens to be black, to break down in tears and say everybody protests when a cop is shot. Why aren't we out here protesting when we shoot each other?

I should say that I don't normally listen to Rush and that I generally can't stand him. I think both major parties are ruled by the same elites, and represent 2 sides of the same coin meant to achieve the desired ends of those rulers.

I have not fact-checked that particular author, but her findings are in line with all other sociological research I've seen on the topics of police killings and black-on-black crime. Here's another relevant blip from a different source that I just came across while googling for the transcript above: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/
Adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown of the U.S. population, he said black men are 3.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. But also adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown in violent crime, the data actually show that police are less likely to kill black suspects than white ones.

“If one adjusts for the racial disparity in the homicide rate or the rate at which police are feloniously killed, whites are actually more likely to be killed by police than blacks,” said Mr. Moskos, a former Baltimore cop and author of the book “Cop in the Hood.”

The puppetmasters sensationalize the exceptions to trick people into having a false impression of reality. They count on most people being too dumb and/or emotionally blinded to understand the actual numbers.

Melo would be much more helpful if he were to stand up and protest black-on-black crime, which is a bazillion times bigger deal than police-on-black violence. If Melo genuinely cared about saving black lives, he'd protest against black men for committing homicide at a rate 8 times higher than that of whites and hispanics combined. It would be a breath of fresh air to see him demand that black men stop committing so many murders and other crimes, and to refuse to compete again until black men get their homicide rates all the way down to the range where whites, hispanics, and asians are. If he were to do that, he could be a great man and genuinely improve the world.

The black community as a whole would be much better off if they were to get out in the streets and fervently protest against their fellow blacks every time a black person is killed by another black. Since almost all black homicide victims are killed by other blacks, and only 4% of black homicide victims are killed by police, it's dumb to give their fellow blacks a pass and protest against the police instead. But alas, that's what they do, easily manipulated into it by the cloaked guiding hand of the ruling elite through their media companies.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,293

Post#68 » by sip » Sat Jul 9, 2016 11:49 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:

Well, if you think about it, there has to be trust between black communities and police before black on black crime can be reduced.

Once solution to reduce black on black crime and the filling of jails with black males, is the decriminalization of all drugs and the set up of safe injection sites so those who are hooked can be safe and get counseling. Drug abuse is a health problem and not a criminal justice problem. Take the profit motive away from gangs and violence with diminish.

Ron Paul, the Libertarian doctor, had some ideas that were out there, but I do agree with his stance on drugs and the fact he believed that the American justice system was racist. http://www.issues2000.org/tx/Ron_Paul_Drugs.htm

To say you have to solve one thing to tackle the other thing is simply not true. Black people are murdering each other at a staggering rate in some cities yet Black Lives Matter has no interest in marching in the streets of a city like Chicago saying enough is enough and something has to change. Instead they only want to focus on building hatred towards the police across this country that obviously has some bad seeds and at times can do things wrong but for the most part they do a hell of a lot of good and get zero credit for it. Being a police officer in this country is for the most part a thankless job yet these men and women go out there every day and risk their lives to make this a safer place for us. I know many people will say that the police aren't making it safer in certain black communities but the truth is that half the battle of doing a quality job policing is getting help from the public when things happen but in many communities it is so ingrained not to speak up that it makes it easy for criminals to continue doing what they are doing.
The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Post#69 » by The Infamous1 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:25 am

There have been stop the violence rallies in black neighborhoods since like 1980's. The media doesn't cover them because it goes against the "they don't care about their own neighborhoods" narrative
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
sip
Rookie

Post#70 » by sip » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:18 am

The Infamous1 wrote:There have been stop the violence rallies in black neighborhoods since like 1980's. The media doesn't cover them because it goes against the "they don't care about their own neighborhoods" narrative

I'm not saying they don't happen but they sure as hell don't happen enough and it hasn't been made a priority when it comes to a group like Black Lives Matter which has all the attention right now. Instead they want to try and create a racial divide and attack the very people that protect all of us.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#71 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:27 am

sip wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

To say you have to solve one thing to tackle the other thing is simply not true. Black people are murdering each other at a staggering rate in some cities yet Black Lives Matter has no interest in marching in the streets of a city like Chicago saying enough is enough and something has to change. Instead they only want to focus on building hatred towards the police across this country that obviously has some bad seeds and at times can do things wrong but for the most part they do a hell of a lot of good and get zero credit for it. Being a police officer in this country is for the most part a thankless job yet these men and women go out there every day and risk their lives to make this a safer place for us. I know many people will say that the police aren't making it safer in certain black communities but the truth is that half the battle of doing a quality job policing is getting help from the public when things happen but in many communities it is so ingrained not to speak up that it makes it easy for criminals to continue doing what they are doing.

Well building hatred against the police will obviously not create increased trust between black communities and the police. What is needed is trust building initiatives. A Harvard professor, who I heard being interviewed on the radio, offered his opinion that problems in the United States will not be remedied until a truth and reconciliation process occurs around race relations from the time of slavery.

Regarding drugs, it is not just Ron Paul. Since you mention Chicago, here is the opinion of Jim Gierach, a former Chicago-area prosecutor. He
notes that 80 percent of homicides in Chicago are gang-related. “And what’s the business of gangs? Obviously, drugs,” he told Campus Progress in an interview. “We can change drug policy. ... It’s the way to reduce violence that’s easy, the one that’s obvious.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emily-crockett/war-on-drugs-gun-violence_b_2624873.html
Maxpainmedia:
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#72 » by Takingbaconback » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:31 am

Gimme a million dollars Melo, I promise you I will bring change
sip
Rookie

Post#73 » by sip » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:38 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
sip wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Well building hatred against the police will obviously not create increased trust between black communities and the police. What is needed is trust building initiatives. A Harvard professor, who I heard being interviewed on the radio, offered his opinion that problems in the United States will not be remedied until a truth and reconciliation process occurs around race relations from the time of slavery.

Regarding drugs, it is not just Ron Paul. Since you mention Chicago, here is the opinion of Jim Gierach, a former Chicago-area prosecutor. He
notes that 80 percent of homicides in Chicago are gang-related. “And what’s the business of gangs? Obviously, drugs,” he told Campus Progress in an interview. “We can change drug policy. ... It’s the way to reduce violence that’s easy, the one that’s obvious.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emily-crockett/war-on-drugs-gun-violence_b_2624873.html

Unfortunately there are too many narrow minded people making decisions in this country to realize that what we are doing isn't working and we should at least give something outside the box a shot. If it doesn't work then we are back to square one but if it does work then we take away the primary source of revenue for the vast majority of criminal enterprises.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#74 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:49 am

sip wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
sip wrote:

Unfortunately there are too many narrow minded people making decisions in this country to realize that what we are doing isn't working and we should at least give something outside the box a shot. If it doesn't work then we are back to square one but if it does work then we take away the primary source of revenue for the vast majority of criminal enterprises.

I understand the checks and balances in the US government, but unfortunately the system almost guarantees that bold new thinking has no chance of making it through the congress, senate and president.
Maxpainmedia:
The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Post#75 » by The Infamous1 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:47 pm

sip wrote:
The Infamous1 wrote:There have been stop the violence rallies in black neighborhoods since like 1980's. The media doesn't cover them because it goes against the "they don't care about their own neighborhoods" narrative

I'm not saying they don't happen but they sure as hell don't happen enough and it hasn't been made a priority when it comes to a group like Black Lives Matter which has all the attention right now. Instead they want to try and create a racial divide and attack the very people that protect all of us.

What's your definition of "enough"?

Black lives matter never created a "racial divide". That was already here
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#76 » by Amsterdam » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:04 pm

tidho wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:The fact that he says he doesn't have a solution, that he wants to fight for "OUR" people, which shows a lack of understanding how the system screws all races, and that he thinks answers will come in the form of putting pressure on politicians all show he really doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

I support his right to say anything he wants, and I'm sure he means well, but with the 'our people' comment he's already missed the mark. So little of what's going wrong has anything to do with the government, and it certainly has even less to do with the federal legislature, whom he seems to want to involve.

The "our people" comment, I believe is directed at those individuals who feel like turning to violence for revenge or something. Not that I know what he was thinking, but can only surmise after what took place in Dallas. To me it seems like Carmelo Anthony doesn't want to see more violence period.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#77 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:46 am

Fico92 wrote:
Carlos_Danger wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Good on Melo.

And in before a bunch of stupid people shoe in their own political nonsense. Please keep that garbage out of this thread.

so kudos to him for being far more intelligent than the mouth-breathing rubes that will soon come out of the woodwork with hot takes on "military style assault weapons of war" and "high capacity clips"

Yeah, and the mouth breathing rubes that will come out with "ya ain't takin my guns!" and "But the constitution says!!".

Yeah, screw that constitution and rule of law crap...let's just make it up as we go along.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:49 am

BigtimeNBAfan wrote:Good for Melo.

The hatred towards Jews has been out of control in the past year from both the left and the right and also needs to be stood up against. Most hate crimes are against Jews and with the nomination of Trump, and the influence of Blumenthal on Hillary we have two anti-Jewish candidates. Scary times.
Trump is anti-Jewish? Of course you know he has a Jewish son-in-law, right?
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:55 am

The system screws all races? How does it do that?
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#80 » by Jedi32 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:07 am

This is a bs Cop out excuse. Every race is more likely to be hurt and killed by their own race not just blacks. If one doesn't have the mental capacity to see the difference between crooks committing crimes and murder and a civil servant who took an oath to protect and serve basically committing murder then there's no hope. Also I'm so sick and tired of people lying like blacks don't protest black on black crime. It happens every day.

Return to The General Board