Dirk voices his frustration with Mavs' inability to land top free agents

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Dirk voices his frustration with Mavs' inability to land top free agents 

Post#121 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:52 am

other than dirk, Josh Howard, and jason terry, they've got kind of a ruthless attitude towards roster turnover..maybe that's part of it. Thinking of Jamison, Nash, Finley, Chandler, now Parsons. Probably I'm forgetting several too, but they're always in a grass-is-greener mindset it seems.
ChipotleWest
Senior
And1: 468

Post#122 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:11 am

Deandre backed out on his word and Whiteside should have joined as mostly everyone else left him in Miami (Deng gone Wade gone Bosh done) also Cuban had it on good authority that Dwight and Chris Paul wanted to team up in Dallas but Dwight backed out and opted in. So it's a stream of bad luck, but I wanted them to re-sign Tyson Chandler after the championship, but maybe it wouldn't have mattered because we got him back and couldn't win a playoff series.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#123 » by Darren » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 am

bleu wrote:Wait, you mean Harrison Barnes isn't considered a "top free agent"? :lol:

Of course, he's not. According to RC, we're contending team with Whiteside and Conley. And now, we're only fighting for 6-8 seed. Harrison Barnes is a huge x-factor. He can work either ways.
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#124 » by pb-ceo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:16 pm

lol DAL could be a D league team and he would sign with them. it's his own fault. he is so loyal that Cubes doesn't have to do anything and dirk would come back. nobody has any sympathy for DN not getting another ring. he has his hardware and he knows it. getting one more is simply the cream on top. he just signed for $40m. and he never tested FA or investigated other options. please don't fall for the "sob story". we're supposed to be better than that.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#125 » by 2011Champs » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:28 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:other than dirk, Josh Howard, and jason terry, they've got kind of a ruthless attitude towards roster turnover..maybe that's part of it. Thinking of Jamison, Nash, Finley, Chandler, now Parsons. Probably I'm forgetting several too, but they're always in a grass-is-greener mindset it seems.

Very true. As a Mavs fan I have gotten to the point I'm rooting for Dirk, Carlisle, Cuban and Mavs uniforms. They continuously think any player on another team is much better than the one they already have. Dallas has no loyalty to any player.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#126 » by inquisitive » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:02 am

I'm surprised top tier agents are not wanting to play for Carlise...one of the best coaches in the league.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,259

Post#127 » by Sothron » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:29 am

As a Hawks and Twolves fan forgive me for not crying for Dallas here. The sad fact is only three to five teams for the last ten years seem to be attractive to big name free agents. After that you pretty much have the entire rest of the NBA.
ChipotleWest
Senior
And1: 468

Post#128 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:34 am

The weirdest thing about it is every huge star we've chased has 0 rings yet we let Tyson go after winning a ring, go figure.

Even as a Mavs fan I can't blame fans of other teams for having no sympathy. I will always feel that Cuban's ego got in the way and thought he could make a super team like the Heat. The Mavs Braintrust thrived in doing over the cap trades pre-championship but have failed miserably in managing the team under the cap. I have lost some respect for Cuban because it's just been a revolving door, since the championship just 5 years ago Dirk has had 63 teammates.

There's a lot of franchises that have 0 championships so I have to respect having 1 but I feel like a transcendant player like Dirk he should have gotten 2-3 at least. I think Cuban sometimes gets overrated as an owner because of Dirk but Dirk was a Mav before Cuban was owner. I wonder if say the Spurs owner owned the Mavs if Dirk would have gotten multiple rings, but we'll never know.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,386

Post#129 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:29 am

ChipotleWest wrote:The weirdest thing about it is every huge star we've chased has 0 rings yet we let Tyson go after winning a ring, go figure.

Even as a Mavs fan I can't blame fans of other teams for having no sympathy. I will always feel that Cuban's ego got in the way and thought he could make a super team like the Heat. The Mavs Braintrust thrived in doing over the cap trades pre-championship but have failed miserably in managing the team under the cap. I have lost some respect for Cuban because it's just been a revolving door, since the championship just 5 years ago Dirk has had 63 teammates.

There's a lot of franchises that have 0 championships so I have to respect having 1 but I feel like a transcendant player like Dirk he should have gotten 2-3 at least. I think Cuban sometimes gets overrated as an owner because of Dirk but Dirk was a Mav before Cuban was owner. I wonder if say the Spurs owner owned the Mavs if Dirk would have gotten multiple rings, but we'll never know.

thats unfair to Dirk. fans should be quite happy with that title, cause to even get one during the shaq/kobe/duncan and lebron era is quite the achievement. expecting or even imagining 2-3 titles is pretty unreasonable
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#130 » by Darren » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:00 am

You remind me of the day that we nearly land Shaq, Mourning or Malone. We end up with none after a long way for Shaq and Mourning.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#131 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:31 pm

I think the problem is Cuban and how they have handled their own. Only Dirk has been afforded the loyalty of Cuban. They built a new arena, state of the art facilities and have whiffed on every big name free agent.

I will guess that a lot of players viewed Cuban's dealing with Nash as extremely negative. Recently Cuban called Westbrook not a super star and granted that is his opinion, but why burn a bridge with another player you probably won't get anyway?

I also find Cuban's recent tweet of a caricature of Dirk and Duncan having a beer together, with the caption "here's to loyailty" a oxymoron coming from him. He treats his players as assets, with the lone exception Dirk. I had read where Dirk has left around 100 million dollars on the table for Cuban to use on building a team around him. Dirk has deserved more than the revolving door of players he is forced to play with and I think the same goes for Carlisle, who has to make it all work. Two class guys that I would like to see win another ring, but won't.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,848

Post#132 » by garrick » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:43 pm

That's the reality of small market teams that can't ever attract the superstar All stars to their teams.

The Suns have not had a major free agent sign with them in awhile and Nash was not considered a top tier FA when he resigned with the Suns.

Almost all their stars have come by way of trades or by drafts and for these small market teams the Lebrons, Durant's and Melos are not even going to remotely consider signing with a small market team like Dallas.
garrick
Head Coach

Post#133 » by garrick » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:52 pm

dc wrote:
urgal wrote:Well, Dwight came via trade and was out of the door the second free agency started. Nash was like 40 and done.
And the Noah contract is in conversation for one of the worst contracts handed out this summer (maybe alongside Barnes though).

I wouldn't call that big name acquisitions.

Agreed. Here are the big name FA moves since 96':

Shaq going to LA in 96'
T-Mac + GHill to Orl in 2000
Nash to Phx in 2005 (wasn't expected to be such a huge impact intially)
Lebron + Bosh to Mia in 2010
Lebron to Cle in 2014
KD to GS in 2016

"Other" big FA moves would be like:

Mutombo to Denver in 96'
Eddie Jones (S&T) + Brian Grant to Mia in 2000
Rashard Lewis to Orl in 2007
Dwight to Hou in 2013
Aldridge to SA in 2015

You could throw in stuff like Ben Wallace to Chicago in 2006 if you feel like making a longer list, I suppose.

Anyhow, the list of major FAs moving around isn't huge. The true league shifting (or perceived to be at the time) FA moves are rare.

You forget Melo and Amare joining NY.
Ben Wallace to Chicago
Wade to Chicago

There are probably more I can't remember right now
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,230

Post#134 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:32 pm

garrick wrote:That's the reality of small market teams that can't ever attract the superstar All stars to their teams.

The Suns have not had a major free agent sign with them in awhile and Nash was not considered a top tier FA when he resigned with the Suns.

Almost all their stars have come by way of trades or by drafts and for these small market teams the Lebrons, Durant's and Melos are not even going to remotely consider signing with a small market team like Dallas.

First I've heard that Dallas is a small market.... Dallas is a large market team with an owner who has been willing to spend huge money(only Knicks paid more in luxury tax).

And Nash was absolutely considered a top free agent. Other than Kobe who was never leaving LA, he was the #1 free agent available that year. Was he seen as the MVP candidate he became in Phoenix? No. But this was an all-NBA PG. People knew he was freaking good at basketball.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#135 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:33 pm

Sothron wrote:As a Hawks and Twolves fan forgive me for not crying for Dallas here. The sad fact is only three to five teams for the last ten years seem to be attractive to big name free agents. After that you pretty much have the entire rest of the NBA.

Dallas deserves no sympathy. 2 decades of Dirk has been extremely special.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#136 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:I think the problem is Cuban and how they have handled their own. Only Dirk has been afforded the loyalty of Cuban. They built a new arena, state of the art facilities and have whiffed on every big name free agent.

I will guess that a lot of players viewed Cuban's dealing with Nash as extremely negative. Recently Cuban called Westbrook not a super star and granted that is his opinion, but why burn a bridge with another player you probably won't get anyway?

I also find Cuban's recent tweet of a caricature of Dirk and Duncan having a beer together, with the caption "here's to loyailty" a oxymoron coming from him. He treats his players as assets, with the lone exception Dirk. I had read where Dirk has left around 100 million dollars on the table for Cuban to use on building a team around him. Dirk has deserved more than the revolving door of players he is forced to play with and I think the same goes for Carlisle, who has to make it all work. Two class guys that I would like to see win another ring, but won't.

Yeah I'd add Jason Terry and Jason Kidd to that mix, but Dallas has certainly churned the roster over a bunch in the Cuban era. It absolutely can't help recruiting free agents if they think they might not be there long-term.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,471

Post#137 » by dc » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:46 pm

garrick wrote:You forget Melo and Amare joining NY.
Ben Wallace to Chicago
Wade to Chicago

I included Ben Wallace to Chicago (added the caveat "if you want to include him.")

Melo was traded to NY.

I suppose you could add Amare, but let's face it: Phx let him walk for nothing b/c their doctors told them after his microfracture surgery that he'd have 5 good years left (and they were spot on). He basically had 1 good year with the Knicks before he physically fell of a cliff.

I won't count a 34 year old Wade signing with Chicago as a major move. Heat basically see no point in having him back for a couple of tanking seasons.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#138 » by southern wolf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:46 pm

Dirk has achieved more than a lot of stars. He's had 50+ win seasons for the majority of his career, won a title and come mighty close to winning more.

Cuban is like a 2K GM, he builds solid playoff teams around his superstar, but doesn't have any patience when the team doesn't contend and trades players away when they don't perform above expectations.
lilswift01
Rookie
And1: 927

Post#139 » by lilswift01 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:12 pm

turk3d wrote:You can't expect a team which makes the playoffs every year (and probably a pretty high seed most of the time) to get great draft picks. That's the price of success which Dirk probably has a lot to do with. When you're one of the best players ever and you rarely get hurt, you're not going to pick very high. That's not Mavs Management's fault. Not much they coud do.

Maybe if Dirk would have gotten hurt and missed a year (like David Robinson for San Antonio did) they could have wond up with a top pick (and that's not even certain, who knows if their would Tim Duncan like player available). Even with Dirk, consider how luck the Mavs were when the drafted him (a Euro player when Euro players weren't considered to bo so good) and what was he, the 20th pick or something like that and wound up turning into a franchise player. Who would have known? Give Nellie credit fot that one.

You don't need a top pick to draft well. There have been numerous prospects in the past couple of years that would have helped the Mavs win, attract other players from FA or use them as trade chips. The reality is that the MAVS don't value young players and thats a big mistake, especially in this kind of market.
garrick
Head Coach

Post#140 » by garrick » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:53 pm

dc wrote:
garrick wrote:You forget Melo and Amare joining NY.
Ben Wallace to Chicago
Wade to Chicago

I included Ben Wallace to Chicago (added the caveat "if you want to include him.")

Melo was traded to NY.

I suppose you could add Amare, but let's face it: Phx let him walk for nothing b/c their doctors told them after his microfracture surgery that he'd have 5 good years left (and they were spot on). He basically had 1 good year with the Knicks before he physically fell of a cliff.

I won't count a 34 year old Wade signing with Chicago as a major move. Heat basically see no point in having him back for a couple of tanking seasons.

Melo was a trade but he wanted to leave Denver and agreed to go to NY.

Return to The General Board