Dirk voices his frustration with Mavs' inability to land top free agents

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,526

Re: Dirk voices his frustration with Mavs' inability to land top free agents 

Post#81 » by TheRaptor! » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:42 am

The Raptors also have the same problem.

Maybe Dirk should join the Raps instead...
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,715

Post#82 » by naabzor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:00 am

Probably is Dirk fault a little bit. He is not that attractive to play with at this time in his career for young up and coming players. Nothing bad on him, he is still great but if you can choose you are not going to choose to play for an aging Dirk.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#83 » by QRich3 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:51 am

Yeah, as mentioned by everyone, problem is the Mavs just don't have an attractive core that FA's are attracted to. If your about to retire over-the-hill star is your biggest attraction, no wonder everyone refuses you. This is something that happens to every aging superstar that insists on remaining in the same team, except the Spurs. And it doesn't happen with the Spurs cause the old guys become role players to make room for the new stars, instead of being the main attraction themselves.

If the Mavs hadn't put all their eggs in the FA basket, and instead had drafted Giannis in 2013 like Cuban claims Donnie wanted to, they'd have a solid piece that would've attracted better FA's and could have started a more attractive core. Like the Spurs did with Leonard, more or less. Then you just need one good player (Deandre, Batum, etc.) to join that and everyone suddenly wants to come to you. Like the Spurs with Aldridge, for instance.

At this point, the best way for them to get that solid core is to tank like there's no tomorrow, but Dirk and Carlisle are in the way of that, so I guess he could share some of the blame.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#84 » by Darren » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:41 am

I agree that lacking young talents development is the major problem. The lockout is also another one. After the lockout, the Mavs can no longer build a team by overpaying FA and taking on contracts to gain talents. The nba league ruins the Mavs and Dirk's prime year. That's misfortunate somewhat, except the fact that the Mavs sucks in drafting and developing young talents. They don't have an ideal core to attract key free agents. If you want to build a team with a big three, you should have abundance of cheap talented role players. That's the problem.

But give them credit. They get non-star players that complement each other in each of the past five years. That's incredible considered their lack of talents. Even 2011 championship team are no where close to the pursuit of stardom. That being said, the Mavs simply doesn't need star players to success. However, not having good complementary players hurt. In my opinion, Tyson Chandler, Shawn Marion and Jason Kidd are tough found. They are extremely lucky to put them together in 2011. And they are lucky to have the best coach in the game. Or else, Dirk may not even has a single ring by 40.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,282

Post#85 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Max level players either want the 5th year or if they can't have the 5th year they want an easy championship. Mavs (like the vast majority of the rest of the league) can't provide the easy path to the title and obviously they can't give the 5th year so they're out of the running.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,229

Post#86 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Ur main selling point to FA's cant be 38 yrs old. Thats why they put together a suicide squad of oldies every year and end up no where. They are where the lakers were before Kobe retired only they dont have any young prospects worth noting...time to take old yeller out back
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
AndriPerdhian93
Pro Prospect
And1: 249

Post#87 » by AndriPerdhian93 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:46 pm

They should start thingking about tanking imo,.
What
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,611

Post#88 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:. I mean, we got Dirk through the draft, after being really bad for a year or two. a decade.

Yeah, what I meant is that you need at least one or two seasons like that from time to time, being bad for a decade obviously shouldn't be justified.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,213

Post#89 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:51 pm

AndriPerdhian93 wrote:They should start thingking about tanking imo,.

Agrred. Not tanking like the 6ers over a 5 year plan or whatever. This would be the year to do it, tank this year, get a top 5 pick then try again for anot her big FA. Doesn't happen tank again and build around your two 1st round picks, if you get lucky you can get two guys with superstar potential (17 draft has plenty of guys and 18 has two elite bigs and Porter Jr if he gets a motor).
Smirkin Dirk
Junior
And1: 736

Post#90 » by Smirkin Dirk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:03 pm

Tanking? Cuban has put a pretty talented team in place.

Bogut/Mejri/Powell
Dirk/Barnes/Powell
Barnes/Anderson
Matthews/Harris
Williams/Barea/Curry.

If lots of things go right (and I dont think they will) that team could win a playoff series.
brownbobcat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,152

Post#91 » by brownbobcat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:06 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:Who is talking about specifically? They've landed Barnes, Pardons, Chandler, Matthews recently and weren't far off DeAndre

The Mavs have pursued nearly every big name free agent (and several trade targets) that has been available the last 5 years including:
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul
Carmelo Anthony
Deron Williams
Chris Bosh
LaMarcus Aldridge

In hindsight, wasn't it better to have missed out on Dwight/Melo/Deron?

CP4 re-signed in LA, with more money and a good situation, so that wasn't exactly unexpected.

Bosh and Aldridge play the same position as Nowitzki, so obviously there were reasons for both to avoid Dallas.

Mavs did end up with Chandler Parsons, Wes Matthews and Barnes, so it's hardly like they completely struck out. They just didn't get a superstar, which you could say for 25+ other teams.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,984

Post#92 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Why have the Mavs been unable to attract the top free agents?

Dirk Nowitzki is 38 years old (37 last offseason, 36 the offseason before that, 35 the one before that)...and who has been the 2nd best player on the team after Dirk in each of those years to attract big name free agents? Sure Dallas is a relatively big market, they have a great coach and the owner is willing to spend money but at the end of the day, it has to do with what other players are on the team that is the most attractive thing for the biggest named free agents. If Dirk was in his 20's or early 30's I'm sure there'd have been a lot more bites.

I'm not sure why people are surprised. Not sure why he's surprised.

Now as far as what the Mavs could have done to change this? They drafted Nowiztki in 1998. Since then who is the best player they've drafted? Who is the best home grown talent since? What attempts have they made to look to the future as they have tried to compete? The Mavs have for a long time been a very competitive team and each year IMO they continue to try to compete by adding guys for the short term to help them stay competitive and may have failed to plan for the future like some of the other top teams have managed to do.

Should they think about rebuild? With how top tier free agents react these days? Yeah possibly. They basically replaced Chandler Parsons with Harrison Barnes which gets you 3 extra years in the age department so maybe that is an attempt to reshift focus a bit?
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#93 » by Baseline Runner » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Dirk still averaged 18 PPG in just 31 minutes a game despite laying in his 17th year in the league. His game ages very well.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,295

Post#94 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Actually, they've been pretty impressive in luring DeAndre, Parsons and Wesley Matthews. It's just tough to lure big time FAs. And quite frankly, superstar wants to play with guys their friends with. I don't know if Dirk is that much sociable among superstar circles.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#95 » by turk3d » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Dirk should not have accepted the $20M that Cuban gave him if he was so upset. He could have just retired if he was that concerned. Cuban has strengthened the team (compared to last year) probabl as best as he could. Nothing they could do to keep KD from going to the Warriors.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#96 » by Throwback24 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Dominater wrote:After all that $ he gave up so that Dallas was able to be players in free agency, I don't blame him

Players should always demand their full worth and leave the GM'ng to the head honchos in charge.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,610

Post#97 » by bmurph128 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:31 pm

Dirk should step back and think about this...

He has played during:

-Duncan/Pop Spurs reign
-Kobe era
-Shaq era
-LeBron
-Warriors historic run
-Celtics big 3

Dirk has been a great player....but considering the players he has played against - arguably 4 top 10 players in NBA history - he proved his greatness by getting one title and should be content with that.

The group outlined above combined for 16 titles in the past 18 years - the only outliers were the Pistons and Dirk and the Mavs.
Chuck Everett
General Manager
And1: 9,446

Post#98 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:44 pm

The Mavs haven't drafted a good player since Josh Howard (2003). Justin Anderson will probably never move higher than role player. Going thirteen years without drafting an impact player is really difficult to do. Their scouting department/development sucks ass.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
jamalkandur
Senior
And1: 719

Post#99 » by jamalkandur » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:11 pm

Hindenburg wrote:Dirk got interviewed by a German newspaper Spiegel:

"We, as an organization, really have to begin to question everything. Is it me people don't want to play with? Is it Rick? Is it Mark and some agents and players hold a grudge because he blew up the 2011 champions? Nobody truly knows. Over the last 5 years, we have been continuously in for the truly big names in FA, but all we achieved in the end was that we got them more money and a better contract elsewhere. As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner."

Kinda sad to read. Dirk has sacrificed a lot salary wise yet somehow no one wants to go to play with him in Dallas.

Full interview (in German)http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/nba-dirk-nowitzki-kritisiert-personalpolitik-der-dallas-mavericks-a-1102267.html

Oh cmon, enough with that "oh poor dirk, sacrificed too much!" nonsense, he is one of most earned nba players in history, $256M carreer earnings and Cuban took care him very well. Nowitzki took only once a tiny pay-cut when he was 36 years old veteran who readying to retirement, he was already the 5th most paid player in history before signed that contract! And guess what only two years laters he took back all his money left on table and much and grab 40 million dollar retirement bonus contract as a 38 years old dinosaur. Also he couldn't lead anything in last four years .He has a meh offense and terrible terrible defense and Dallas couldn't hide him anymore. Nobody wants to play with him because everyone knows he can't win anything anymore. Also i never heard that he is actively recruiting someone. I can understand he is RealGm's sweetheart and i respect that but sometimes i go mad at incredible bias in this forum. Wade took paycuts not once, three times, signed short term way under max contracts in his prime to create room others. After then seeing Miami couldn't land a new star last year and this year , 33-34 years old still in allstar shape Wade wanted to sign a multiyear decent contract and most of the people here started to complain "Miami owes him nothing, they should let him go, he paid with rings, this is a business you can't pay for past performace..." Even if this was a three times champ, 12 times allstar franchise legend goddam Dwade. This dude has earned a statue outside of that arena. But nobody even talking about Miami's disloyalty towards him, tears for Dirk and villain's smiles for Wade, tell me where is justice?
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,158

Post#100 » by GuyverX » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Man, I love Dirk. He's such a class act. You can tell he's agonizing over their mediocrity but he's still loyal to the franchise. I feel for him. But like others have said, if he wants to retire a Mav, I feel like he should just do it. I don't see them contending while he's still a serviceable player. Getting a huge FA is tough these days unless you are already a contender. Guys who are already established don't really care about the money as much.

Return to The General Board