Players that are more athletic than people realize

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Re: Players that are more athletic than people realize 

Post#61 » by TheTrooper » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:56 pm

Black Jack wrote:Porzingis. The way he moves at that height is really unprecedented. Closest I can think of is Sampson but he didn't have the ability to actually play as a wing.

Still don't understand how he wasn't picked higher :noway:

I don't think that anyone really thinks Porzingis is not a freak athlete. Maybe, just maybe some people because he is white, but other than that I think everyone is amazed at how he moves at that height.
Also I don't know how much higher he could have gone. He was selected at no4 in a really stacked draft.

Anyways white guys are not given enough credit for their athleticism in the NBA.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,683

Post#62 » by Capn'O » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:26 pm

LouisLitt wrote:Steph Curry, for a while he gave people confidence that they can jack 3's on their way to an NBA contract because he was just "an average joe"

This! Curry is strong as hell.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,683

Post#63 » by Capn'O » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Chest Rockwell wrote:Pretty much anyone that is considered somewhat unathletic is pretty athletic in general, as outliners like Boris Diaw, Dirk or Curry would not be able to produce like this, if they were super limited in what they are doing. Just a different kind of athleticism .. Jumping very high is way less important than being super coordinated in vertical movement.

And1 for the screen name :D
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,946

Post#64 » by Drax » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Avery Bradley people probably see his lateral quickness, but he actually can get up aswell.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,669

Post#65 » by Prez » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:36 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tyUk9B5_mg[/youtube]
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,039

Post#66 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:21 am

Stan Van Gundy. He has really good mobility for a guy his size and skin color.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#67 » by Leslie Forman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:29 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Brent Barry... I know he won the dunk contest, but he really didn't display his athleticism in the game. He was a high IQ, took the game slow and corner three guy, but the few times he took it inside or was on the fast break, it was kind of shocking how much he would launch himself and throw it down, with his head almost hitting the rim.

Brent Barry got away with being so underwhelming because he was white. If he was black I think everybody would've been wondering why the hell he was such a lazy player who never seemed to give a damn.

He really should have been one of the best shooting guards ever. Elite athleticism, shooting, ball handling and passing for his position. He was a more naturally talented player than a lot of All-Star shooting guards. He was perfectly happy just being a role player for some reason though. I mean, Jesus Christ, he once had a year where he played as the starting point guard next to Ray Allen and he averaged 7APG per 36 and 45% from 3. The guy was actually flat out more talented than Ray Allen himself.

What a waste.
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,404

Post#68 » by RandomRaptorfan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:38 am

tong po wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Brent Barry... I know he won the dunk contest, but he really didn't display his athleticism in the game. He was a high IQ, took the game slow and corner three guy, but the few times he took it inside or was on the fast break, it was kind of shocking how much he would launch himself and throw it down, with his head almost hitting the rim.

Brent Barry got away with being so underwhelming because he was white. If he was black I think everybody would've been wondering why the hell he was such a lazy player who never seemed to give a damn.

He really should have been one of the best shooting guards ever. Elite athleticism, shooting, ball handling and passing for his position. He was a more naturally talented player than a lot of All-Star shooting guards. He was perfectly happy just being a role player for some reason though. I mean, Jesus Christ, he once had a year where he played as the starting point guard next to Ray Allen and he averaged 7APG per 36 and 45% from 3. The guy was actually flat out more talented than Ray Allen himself.

What a waste.

Lol relax there buddy
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,517

Post#69 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:51 am

Someone should do a thread about players who are a lot less athletic than people realize
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#70 » by mattao313 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:55 am

Tobias Harris? I have see him on quite a few times hang in the air to make a difficult layup or and1 play.
Championships
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,263

Post#71 » by Black Jack » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:09 am

TheTrooper wrote:
Black Jack wrote:Porzingis. The way he moves at that height is really unprecedented. Closest I can think of is Sampson but he didn't have the ability to actually play as a wing.

I don't think that anyone really thinks Porzingis is not a freak athlete. Maybe, just maybe some people because he is white, but other than that I think everyone is amazed at how he moves at that height.
Also I don't know how much higher he could have gone. He was selected at no4 in a really stacked draft.

Anyways white guys are not given enough credit for their athleticism in the NBA.

Just me but [I'm black btw...] if an american (read: black 8-) ) player with the exact profile of Porz came in that year instead of P, he'd have gone 3 in that draft at least and probably 2. He should have jumped out to people more. maybe it's the euro thing, people are a bit hesitant these days on euro bigs because so many seem to bust.

But yeah...the guy broke the mold.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Re: Re: Players that are more athletic than people realize 

Post#72 » by janmagn » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:18 am

Black Jack wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:

Just me but [I'm black btw...] if an american (read: black 8-) ) player with the exact profile of Porz came in that year instead of P, he'd have gone 3 in that draft at least and probably 2. He should have jumped out to people more. maybe it's the euro thing, people are a bit hesitant these days on euro bigs because so many seem to bust.

I don't think it's because of many busts more because of smaller playing time

Lähetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#73 » by Kupchak9 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:30 am

Apparently some people believe Curry can bench 400 pounds. Not gonna say who, you know who you are lol.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,458

Post#74 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:33 am

RandomRaptorfan wrote:
tong po wrote:

What a waste.

Lol relax there buddy

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXg-k_1NGMY[/youtube]
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#75 » by nicnac215 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:56 am

Blame Rasho wrote:
RandomRaptorfan wrote:
tong po wrote:Brent Barry got away with being so underwhelming because he was white. If he was black I think everybody would've been wondering why the hell he was such a lazy player who never seemed to give a damn.

What a waste.

Lol relax there buddy

Damn impressive video. Looked like a faster Gordon Hayward with better handles and vision. He would be perfect for the space and pace NBA.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#76 » by nicnac215 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:56 am

nicnac215 wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:
RandomRaptorfan wrote:
Lol relax there buddy

Damn impressive video. Looked like a faster Gordon Hayward with better handles and vision. He would be perfect for the pace and space NBA.
toussaud
Junior
And1: 238

Post#77 » by toussaud » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:30 am

Olliver miller was glen davis on steroids. A 350 pound stretch 5 lol. Dudes stroke was butter
pacers33
Rookie
And1: 1,304

Post#78 » by pacers33 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:05 am

toussaud wrote:Olliver miller was glen davis on steroids. A 350 pound stretch 5 lol. Dudes stroke was butter

Man was made of butter and on the verge of a stroke if he played more than twenty a game lol.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#79 » by E-Balla » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:56 am

Black Jack wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:

1. That's because in that case you'd have hit the NCAA

2. Porzingis went 4th after 3 franchise level guys anyway. It's not like he was in a weak draft.

3. No one underestimates his athleticism. His nickname is unicorn because of how unique he is.

4. 8n that top 4 he's not even the most underrated athlete Jahlil is. People still think he's a brick footed clumsy fool when he's probably one of the quickest and most graceful Cs ever.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#80 » by qm22 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:33 am

Capn'O wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:Steph Curry, for a while he gave people confidence that they can jack 3's on their way to an NBA contract because he was just "an average joe"

This! Curry is strong as hell.

At first, he really was unathletic. He did succeed quite a lot before becoming athletic. I remember some off-season video showing how he could (at that time) improve to being able to squeak out dunks on an empty rim, but no one expected him to do it in games at that time. He substantially improved every year from being poor for NBA/NCAA standards at the beginning.

Return to The General Board