REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

REPORT: Celtics "Most likely destination" for Russell Westbrook 

Post#1 » by iamworthy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:08 pm

Per Howard Beck:

“What I’m hearing here in Las Vegas from some GMs is that they think not only Russell Westbrook will get traded, that it’ll be sooner than later,” Beck said in a video posted Wednesday morning, “and that the most likely destination now would be the Boston Celtics.”

Westbrook averaged 23.5 points and 10.4 assists last season, in what was the most efficient year of his thus far tremendous career.

Beck cites Boston’s pile of assets as the natural reason why the Celtics
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics-russell-westbrook-most-likely-destination-oklahoma-city-thunder-nba-trade-rumors
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Re: REPORT: CELTICS "MOST LIKELY DESTINATION" FOR RUSSELL WESTBROOK 

Post#2 » by Throwback24 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:08 pm

We don't believe you Howard Beck, the Celtics are in this weird predicament where there assets hold more value to them than the rest of the league and in having so many young players without PT opportunities they're cannibalizing themselves.

They'll never get the haul they think they're lining themselves up for. No one wants their garbage and the denial is rich.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,469

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Not that it is a reason to not trade for Westbrook, but Westbrook and IT aren't really ideal parts to fit together.
My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,456

Post#4 » by My Main Man » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:12 pm

So what's a realistic trade involving Boston's assets without the guarantee of Westbrook resigning? Obviously, OKC fans are not going to be happy with what they get, but is there a semi-happy middle ground?
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,943

Post#5 » by Froob » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm

I hope not, I don't think his game will age well and he won't make us good enough to compete with the Golden boys. If we out right sign him sure but, don't dump all the assets for him.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#6 » by OrlandoDream » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Has to be a 3 team trade. Gonna take more then Isiah Thomas and Crowder and picks to get RW.
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#7 » by Hindenburg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:17 pm

I hope it goes down. East needs another contender to challenge the Cavs. Celtics will have a nice complimenting core for Westbrook unless they give up too much
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,845

Post#8 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:20 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Not that it is a reason to not trade for Westbrook, but Westbrook and IT aren't really ideal parts to fit together.

IT would probably be shipped out in the deal. OKC still has a decent squad and probably wouldn't go full rebuild.
benjaminbuttonz
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#9 » by benjaminbuttonz » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:20 pm

I'd love him on the team but I assume they would have to give up a lot and then there would still be a strong chance of him walking, derailing the franchise for the next 5 years.

I would use the Nets pick (among other things) in a draft day deal to try to entice him next year.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#10 » by BullyKing » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Throwback24 wrote:We don't believe you Howard Beck, the Celtics are in this weird predicament where there assets hold more value to them than the rest of the league and in having so many young players without PT opportunities they're cannibalizing themselves.

They'll never get the haul they think they're lining themselves up for.

That's mostly because Ainge refuses to offer those assets and thinks teams are going to trade superstars for Kelly Olynyk, Marcus Smart and a grab bag of blah.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
shanghaifanzi
Senior
And1: 796

Post#11 » by shanghaifanzi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:25 pm

westbrook to celtics?? ahhaha brad stevens will have lot of homework to do when he going berserk
biyombo
Suspended
And1: 962

Post#12 » by biyombo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Nice he can play alongside Durant.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#13 » by j-ragg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Would take an overpay IMO, due to circumstance. Could blow up in the Cs face in the summer, would be interesting.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,469

Post#14 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:27 pm

benjaminbuttonz wrote:I'd love him on the team but I assume they would have to give up a lot and then there would still be a strong chance of him walking, derailing the franchise for the next 5 years.

I would use the Nets pick (among other things) in a draft day deal to try to entice him next year.

Next year he is a free agent. Celtics can get hm for free, or lose him to someone else for free then. But there is no need to trade for him then.
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#15 » by Bruteque » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:27 pm

He's speculating based on the wrong criterium.

With one year left on Russell's contract, it doesn't matter nearly as much who has the assets as it does where Russell wants to go.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#16 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:28 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:Has to be a 3 team trade. Gonna take more then Isiah Thomas and Crowder and picks to get RW.

Not if he doesn't agree to an extension. That's a pretty decent offer when you consider that.
RexRyan
Rookie
And1: 408

Post#17 » by RexRyan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:34 pm

I think it will be a player or two and some contingent picks - OKC isn't going to get anywhere near the haul that Russ is worth.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,679

Post#18 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:35 pm

So the celtics can allegedly trade for him just to see him walk away in free agency to the Lakers.

Plus at this point all these rumors are BS. 99% of them never come true.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#19 » by Nolan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:37 pm

This is pure speculation and nothing else.

Using that logic Boston is the likely destination for every player that might be on the block.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,548

Post#20 » by ken6199 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:37 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
benjaminbuttonz wrote:I'd love him on the team but I assume they would have to give up a lot and then there would still be a strong chance of him walking, derailing the franchise for the next 5 years.

Next year he is a free agent. Celtics can get hm for free, or lose him to someone else for free then. But there is no need to trade for him then.

But getting him now also means they can go over the top to retain his service next year, for an additional 5th year that no other team can offer right? They probably have something planned already, Love, or whatever. It's indeed the Dwight Howard Lakers situation that they need to avoid, but again Celtics is not hostaged by that Kobe appreciation contract.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.

Return to The General Board